AVS Forum banner

Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall

458K views 2K replies 304 participants last post by  holyindian 
#1 · (Edited)
From time to time I've seen builds posted where the screen wall looks like a load bearing wall, so last week when I had mine apart for carpet installation I took a couple of pics to document my approach which is minimal and considering I intend to join the 2:35 club at some point easy to modify.

UPDATE 12/19/2021

I put together a summary of the steps for building the minimalist screen wall here: Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall

UPDATE 10/29/2017

With the PhotoBucket Apocalypse, 2000 of my linked pictures have been redacted by the bean counters at PB who think they actually need to run the company with a positive bottom line. So I'm going to grab a bunch of my minimalist framing pictures and stick them here. You should note that my designs evolve and that depending on the theater may look different one from the other. My goal has always been to keep it simple. Just enough to hold the screen frame and provide enough of a structure to keep the fabric panels surrounding the screen vertical.

Machine Wood Plywood

Basement Room Floor Machine

Wall Floor Basement Beam

more to follow

Attachments

See less See more
#252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc  /t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall/240#post_23036620

Wanted to update the thread and show success with a narrower "goal-post" design. Screen is 130" wide and the edges fall directly under my soffits. I wanted something easy to attach to the ceiling, but not block my speakers, and I wanted to use my left over 2x4s. Not sure why I originally painted them white, but did go back and paint them black.

Looks real good! I'm sure it will function just fine.

I STILL havent gone back and made the friction fit panels for around my screen. Even with a 10' wide post between my two columns the screen is doing great and it doesnt looks like the weight of the screen will be at all an issue.

#253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc  /t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall/240_60#post_23036620

Wanted to update the thread and show success with a narrower "goal-post" design. Screen is 130" wide and the edges fall directly under my soffits. I wanted something easy to attach to the ceiling, but not block my speakers, and I wanted to use my left over 2x4s. Not sure why I originally painted them white, but did go back and paint them black.

[

That looks great !!!

I take it that's a Jamestown/ XD special? I recognized the tabs. I just put mine together (130" 2.35) on Monday and hung it where my old screen was. I'm going to grab some materials tonight and star building some goal posts also.

Are you pleased with the Jamestown build quality?

#254 ·
Yep - Jamestown. Happy with the price, but probably wouldn't order from them again. Took nearly 2 months to get the screen and the updates were nonexistent. Now i can't get the damn thing to stay square. As soon as I stretched the screen, the side pieces started bowing. Also the velvet looked nice originally, but the stuff I bought from Joann's is actually darker and a bit nicer.

The XD material is amazing. I love how it looks and we can't see the weave from even 8 ft away.

#255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc  /t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall/240_60#post_23049722

Yep - Jamestown. Happy with the price, but probably wouldn't order from them again. Took nearly 2 months to get the screen and the updates were nonexistent. Now i can't get the damn thing to stay square. As soon as I stretched the screen, the side pieces started bowing. Also the velvet looked nice originally, but the stuff I bought from Joann's is actually darker and a bit nicer.

The XD material is amazing. I love how it looks and we can't see the weave from even 8 ft away.

Yup, kind of the same reaction here. My vertical were not bowed , but the center supports are not the correct length and putting them in place made the top left/right joint not line up by 1/4 inch or so. Most to the aluminum hole needed to be deburred also. I'll massage what I need to for now.

if I didn't know for a fact that the XD material would have cost me 70% of the price I paid, I'd be jumping up and down.

One last thing, I ordered a 140" WIDE screen in 2.35:1...8 (EIGHT) weeks later I got 140" DIAGONAL for the same price no less. The XD material is excellent though!!

#256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye  /t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall/240#post_23052921

if I didn't know for a fact that the XD material would have cost me 70% of the price I paid, I'd be jumping up and down.
If I had the tools and the time, I probably would've just done it myself and ordered the XD as a DIY kit. In the end, when the lights are off, you can't notice a thing and only the XD shines. :p
Quote:
One last thing, I ordered a 140" WIDE screen in 2.35:1...8 (EIGHT) weeks later I got 140" DIAGONAL for the same price no less. The XD material is excellent though!!
I had read in another post that someone had gotten the wrong size TWICE, so the few times I called for a status update I made sure he had the right size on my account.

#257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc  /t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall/240_60#post_23053044

If I had the tools and the time, I probably would've just done it myself and ordered the XD as a DIY kit. In the end, when the lights are off, you can't notice a thing and only the XD shines. :p

I had read in another post that someone had gotten the wrong size TWICE, so the few times I called for a status update I made sure he had the right size on my account.

Yup that was me. My 3rd screen is on its way now.

#258 ·
Put some work in this weekend and got my goal post and stage in shape.

All painted (wet) black...

#260 ·
Here's a link to my false wall build in front of in-wall speakers.

I wound up mounting the in-wall speakers in boxes that sit proud of the wall surface, so I guess they aren't technically in-wall, but you get the idea. Here is a link to the portion of my build showing the speaker boxes.

#261 ·
At Gary's staggered wall build his High speakers as part of the 9.2 ended up behind the fabric panels. But, his mains sit out in plain sight. I really don't see a problem as long as you don't put any framing in front of a driver.

#264 ·
Need advice on bracing screen wall

As some may remember I built a minimalist(ish) screen wall from standard framing that has the LCRs and Subs in it, the problem I've come across is that at high sub level (in other words quite frequently) the subs will cause the whole wall to vibrate against the stage causing it to rattle, does anyone have any thoughts, my only ones so far are:

1) Brace the screen wall against the rear wall so that it can't move.

2) somehow insert insulation/rubber dampening between the screen wall and the stage.

3) Relocate the subs to the side walls.

The subs are 2 x the dual 8" Episode in wall subs driven by a 500W dedicated amp, more details are in my build thread.

Thanks!

#265 ·
I would try securing the screen wall to the stage with more screws, 20+. If it is tight it can't rattle. If that doesn't work take it apart and insert some rubber (Carpet pad or hardwood underlay) I would also set the subs on sand filled stands and decouple from the screen wall frame.

You could try just buying a package of the plastic composite shims and forcing underneath the bottom plate.

If the stage itself is rattling you definitely need to decouple the subs from the stage, back to the sand idea

#421 ·
I would try securing the screen wall to the stage with more screws, 20+. If it is tight it can't rattle. If that doesn't work take it apart and insert some rubber (Carpet pad or hardwood underlay) I would also set the subs on sand filled stands and decouple from the screen wall frame.

You could try just buying a package of the plastic composite shims and forcing underneath the bottom plate.

If the stage itself is rattling you definitely need to decouple the subs from the stage, back to the sand idea

Big, how do you suggest that I decouple the stage from the framed screen-wall , if the screen wall sits on top of the stage? would i attach the screen wall horizontally to the sides and the ceiling and just suspend the wall/ goal posts?

#266 ·
Thanks for the great ideas, I've managed to solve it by removing the speaker grills from the subs but I've also realized I need to raise the subs so that they won't hit the framing of the fabric panels when I finally (if ever) finish the screen wall.

#267 ·
Lots of inspiration from this thread. Started off minimalist and then I might have over-engineered some parts. I wanted slightly wider goal posts since I have a thick screen fame and needed to come forward on the sides to fit my L/R speakers. I guess I need to get to painting ... then its time for frames.

The two 15" subs stick out, so they are going away and I'm putting two 18" DIY sealed subs on each side (total of 4).

#268 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc  /t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall/200_100#post_23268327

Lots of inspiration from this thread. Started off minimalist and then I might have over-engineered some parts. I wanted slightly wider goal posts since I have a thick screen fame and needed to come forward on the sides to fit my L/R speakers. I guess I need to get to painting ... then its time for frames.

The two 15" subs stick out, so they are going away and I'm putting two 18" DIY sealed subs on each side (total of 4).

Looking great pauley! Looking forward to you coming by to check out my setup and talk shop. I might have a few idea for you in the sub department.

Great thread BIG! This is going to be my next project once I finish up some other loose ends. Not sure if my PJ would be able to zoom enough to fill the screen properly if I moved the screen up an additional 16" or so. I was thinking it would be nice to use the frame I currently have and just replace it with some Seymour XD material, but I might have to downsize from 130" to 120" or smaller.

Talking with you a few months back, and reading a few earlier post on this thread, I could recall you mentioning that you were going to be throwing more subs in the mix. MFW's, right? I can't seem to find any updated pics on this thread or your build thread. Did you ever get around to it?

#269 ·
Sadly the components are gathering dust, I had a brief moment of inspiration when I saw your massive set up, put it quickly passed. I will do it someday. I see the ready made cabinets are back in stock.

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol  /t/837848/minimalist-approach-to-screen-wall/210#post_22669622

I looked high and low through these forums to find a black material that wasn't GOM to use around my Seymour XD screen for my false wall. I don't recall the product, but it was found at a local fabric store. It is super thin and airy. Looks like velvet of sorts on the outside, but I wasn't fully convinced until I had a local guy with some nice AV monitoring and calibration equipment do a favor and just measure the difference of sound with a full range speaker with and without the fabric in front of it. His equipment is pretty high quality, and it DID detect differences, but very minimally. He was impressed that it did so well for a cheaper material. I didn' think it was THAT cheap until I used a Jo Ann Fabrics 50% off coupon, then it got "cheap".

I really wish I remember what the stuff was....

Was it this suiting fabric?

#272 ·

I was looking through this thread to get ideas for my screen wall and have a question.  I plan to go with just the two vertical and one horizontal post, but my screen is curved.  I am looking for ideas for integrating the upper, lower and side panels since the screen will curve away from the wall.  What have others done?  My theater entrance is near the front.  With the screen curved away from the wall, you will be able to see behind it if the surrounding panels are flat.

Looking for some ideas.

Thanks,

Nick

#273 ·
Curve Frenzy had a curved screen (Seymour) the brackets that ship with that screen are designed to attach to a flat wall/frame. For their frames you attach the top with a special curved french cleat affair and the bottom reguires two L brackets to keep the screen from pulling away from the wall. those attach just below the screen edge.

For that project I just made four standard fabric panels and it wasn't a problem as the edge of the screen was so close to the wall you couldn't see around the edge. For a wider room you could just make the side panels wider so they tuck behind the screen or you could fasten some curved affair.

#274 ·

Thanks BIG.  I think my screen is the exact same size as his (140"), so it may not be as much of an issue as I was thinking it would be.  I will take another look at that thread.  I also plan to build the frame without the fabric to take some measurements, so that will give me a better idea of how far it will stick out.  

I'm thinking four flat panels will be the best solution.