Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #481 of 484 Old 08-25-2016, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Incorrect, why? I don't have OSB on my ceiling.
I don't know, I just figured dry wall was flimsy. I guess it's the whole, not too much sheer type principle?

To be clear, in the most minimalist form, it is just essentially two poles, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 484 Old Today, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
@BIGmouthinDC I've used this thread as a blueprint of sorts for the very near future remodel of my bonus room/ht. I can't thank you enough for providing your insight to the rest of us diy'ers trying to save a buck and create a room that our family's can enjoy.

I do have a question though. How exactly are you guys framing your AT screens? My plan is to use an AT fabric like white spandex over black/grey spandex. For some reason I haven't found how you or anyone else framed their screen. I know your original 16:9 screen was hung on top of the false wall. Did you friction fit your screen in the CIH setup?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #483 of 484 Old Today, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked: 2309
nearly every sceeen I've hung has been with z clips on the front face of a minimal frame, with black fabric frames surrounding it.

As for framing a DIY screen you want straight wood that is going to stay straight, so that rules out 2x4 studs, my go to wood is the finger joined pine boards, same as the minimal wall. If you use mid span supports make sure they are set back from the front so they don't show a crease through the fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4513.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	631.2 KB
ID:	1626657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4515.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	628.7 KB
ID:	1626665   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4521.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	1626673   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4522.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	602.8 KB
ID:	1626681   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4524.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	606.7 KB
ID:	1626689  

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; Today at 07:20 PM.
post #484 of 484 Old Today, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
nearly every sceeen I've hung has been with z clips on the front face of a minimal frame, with black fabric frames surrounding it.

As for framing a DIY screen you want straight wood that is going to stay straight, so that rules out 2x4 studs, my go to wood is the finger joined pine boards, same as the minimal wall. If you use mid span supports make sure they are set back from the front so they don't show a crease through the fabric.
Thanks for the pics, they are extremely helpful. And the mid span support advice is great, I never would've thought about that...at least not until I had finished mounting it and realized after the fact.

When you say you surround the screen with some type of black fabric frames, are you referring to the large fabric frames that make up the entire screen wall or are you talking about a separate frame that specifically surrounds the screen (think black velvet border around a Carada screen).

Sorry for the ignorant questions, just trying to plan things out as efficiently as possible.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction