Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #511 of 525 Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I have pictures of fitting the panels around the screen sharing the same supports as the screen. I'm out of the country back in my office Monday.

See post 485

On vacation but still "working". I'm on the beach as we speak but can't shake thinking about the finer details of the build. Thanks Big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 525 Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Final product - I'm really happy with how it all turned out!

Nice looking wall, thanks for the reference.
PTAaron likes this.
post #513 of 525 Old 02-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have pictures of fitting the panels around the screen sharing the same supports as the screen. I'm out of the country back in my office Monday.

See post 485

So does the screen mount in front of or behind the framing shown in post 485? Is that the White Oaks build?

post #514 of 525 Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3520 Post(s)
Liked: 2978
The screen mounts on the front surface of the wall frame with z clips on the top edge. Yes that is white oak which was an extreme variation of the minimal screen wall concept.
post #515 of 525 Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Big, you mentioned you use linacoustic on the front wall. Others have used Owens Corning 703/Roxul Comfortboard or Roxul Safe 'n Sound.

Why do you prefer linacoustic? Do you know how that would compare with the OC703?

If anyone else used a different solution, please let me know.
post #516 of 525 Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You may want to review the acoustic treatment thread at the top of the forum to see the flavor of the month for screen walls. It used to be two layers of linacoustic with a layer of poly in between. Things have changed a bit. For myself, I will be using Roxul S&S in between my front studs, then a layer of linacoustic in front. Then I will be layering a wall of speaker cloth in front of that to stop any fibers from floating around. But again, check the acoustic thread unless one of the heavy hitters answers next and fast tracks you some more info.
post #517 of 525 Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Here is my conribution. I used 1" (actually 3/4") FJ pine board. I glued and screwed them together. The middlempiece on the top is 107" wide. It feels really really solid when Itry to shake it or pull down. I am not using any support, we will see if it will sag over time.

OJ Bartley, Patriot666 and Beams37 like this.
post #518 of 525 Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

See post 485
I'm having trouble envisioning this myself. I understand the goalposts are screwed into the ceiling and floor for support with the cross member between and supported with a center brace screwed into the ceiling. I understand the screen rests on the goalposts about half way. But is there more "framing" on the sides that are screwed into the goal posts and the side walls and then the panels tensioned on top? After looking at post 485, I think I'm more confused. I thought the panels were tensioned into place pressing up against each other, not attached to more framing behind?

I really love the clean minimalistic look this provides, I'm just not sure I have the know how to do it. lol
post #519 of 525 Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

you've got the goal posts and then I run a 2x2 on the side walls. That is usually enough to hold everything in place unless you have a really wide screen then some mid span supports of the panels above and below the screen might be required.
post #520 of 525 Old 03-24-2017, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
you've got the goal posts and then I run a 2x2 on the side walls. That is usually enough to hold everything in place unless you have a really wide screen then some mid span supports of the panels above and below the screen might be required.
So you have the 2x2 secured to each sidewall running vertically and then you cut the black panels top, bottom and sides to the exact space left between the wall and the screen and then just wedge the panels in tightly? Am I understanding that correctly or am I way off base?
post #521 of 525 Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
So you have the 2x2 secured to each sidewall running vertically and then you cut the black panels top, bottom and sides to the exact space left between the wall and the screen and then just wedge the panels in tightly? Am I understanding that correctly or am I way off base?
Pretty sure that's how it's done, at least that's how I'll be doing it in another couple weeks. No need to make it complicated. The panels with AT cloth will be pretty light, they just need a little support in key areas.
post #522 of 525 Old 03-24-2017, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If I on my game they fit snug and no other attachment is required, If I'm off I might need a couple of dabs of velcro to secure the panels. The one below the screen and the two sides are sitting on the stage so you only need enough attachment/friction to keep them from tipping over. The one on the top of the screen sits on the screen and you just need to make sure it stays there.
post #523 of 525 Old Today, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Throwing up my minimal wall since this thread helped me. The stage and main supports were built so that the frames would slide behind the soffit and sit flush with the main support structure and stage. There was roughly 1 1/4" between them to slide in the GOM frames.

post #524 of 525 Old Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge928 View Post
Throwing up my minimal wall since this thread helped me. The stage and main supports were built so that the frames would slide behind the soffit and sit flush with the main support structure and stage. There was roughly 1 1/4" between them to slide in the GOM frames.

Looks great. Man, I remember those days years ago when I was building mine. Been enjoying the life out of it ever since. Would love to see how it looks at the end.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #525 of 525 Old Today, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am going to be building a false wall, and this is perfect for what I am envisioning.

However, mine will be slightly different in I will be mounting a TV, not a screen. Then, I will be mounting a mechanical screen at the top to come down over the TV.

So, the top beam will house the screen. My previous one weighed about 55 lbs for reference, and I'm thinking I want to plan for 75 lbs in weight.

My current TV weighs around 90 lbs.

I'm thinking I need to do more of a traditional frame. Basically, one large rectangle with 4 middle beams which would mount the TV, and the Screen housing.

I've attached two pictures for reference of what I'm envisioning. Let me know if you think it will be strong enough / makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Wall Minimal.png
Views:	6
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	2167954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Wall Minimal Paneling Layout.png
Views:	6
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	2167962  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement