Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I have pictures of fitting the panels around the screen sharing the same supports as the screen. I'm out of the country back in my office Monday.

See post 485

On vacation but still "working". I'm on the beach as we speak but can't shake thinking about the finer details of the build. Thanks Big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Final product - I'm really happy with how it all turned out!

Nice looking wall, thanks for the reference.
PTAaron likes this.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have pictures of fitting the panels around the screen sharing the same supports as the screen. I'm out of the country back in my office Monday.

See post 485

So does the screen mount in front of or behind the framing shown in post 485? Is that the White Oaks build?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3364 Post(s)
Liked: 2839
The screen mounts on the front surface of the wall frame with z clips on the top edge. Yes that is white oak which was an extreme variation of the minimal screen wall concept.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Big, you mentioned you use linacoustic on the front wall. Others have used Owens Corning 703/Roxul Comfortboard or Roxul Safe 'n Sound.

Why do you prefer linacoustic? Do you know how that would compare with the OC703?

If anyone else used a different solution, please let me know.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 65
You may want to review the acoustic treatment thread at the top of the forum to see the flavor of the month for screen walls. It used to be two layers of linacoustic with a layer of poly in between. Things have changed a bit. For myself, I will be using Roxul S&S in between my front studs, then a layer of linacoustic in front. Then I will be layering a wall of speaker cloth in front of that to stop any fibers from floating around. But again, check the acoustic thread unless one of the heavy hitters answers next and fast tracks you some more info.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Here is my conribution. I used 1" (actually 3/4") FJ pine board. I glued and screwed them together. The middlempiece on the top is 107" wide. It feels really really solid when Itry to shake it or pull down. I am not using any support, we will see if it will sag over time.

Patriot666 and Beams37 like this.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

See post 485
I'm having trouble envisioning this myself. I understand the goalposts are screwed into the ceiling and floor for support with the cross member between and supported with a center brace screwed into the ceiling. I understand the screen rests on the goalposts about half way. But is there more "framing" on the sides that are screwed into the goal posts and the side walls and then the panels tensioned on top? After looking at post 485, I think I'm more confused. I thought the panels were tensioned into place pressing up against each other, not attached to more framing behind?

I really love the clean minimalistic look this provides, I'm just not sure I have the know how to do it. lol
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

you've got the goal posts and then I run a 2x2 on the side walls. That is usually enough to hold everything in place unless you have a really wide screen then some mid span supports of the panels above and below the screen might be required.
Old Today, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
you've got the goal posts and then I run a 2x2 on the side walls. That is usually enough to hold everything in place unless you have a really wide screen then some mid span supports of the panels above and below the screen might be required.
So you have the 2x2 secured to each sidewall running vertically and then you cut the black panels top, bottom and sides to the exact space left between the wall and the screen and then just wedge the panels in tightly? Am I understanding that correctly or am I way off base?
Old Today, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
So you have the 2x2 secured to each sidewall running vertically and then you cut the black panels top, bottom and sides to the exact space left between the wall and the screen and then just wedge the panels in tightly? Am I understanding that correctly or am I way off base?
Pretty sure that's how it's done, at least that's how I'll be doing it in another couple weeks. No need to make it complicated. The panels with AT cloth will be pretty light, they just need a little support in key areas.
Old Today, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If I on my game they fit snug and no other attachment is required, If I'm off I might need a couple of dabs of velcro to secure the panels. The one below the screen and the two sides are sitting on the stage so you only need enough attachment/friction to keep them from tipping over. The one on the top of the screen sits on the screen and you just need to make sure it stays there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement