Framing starts soon and I'm not ready! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The stars look great. Adds a whole new look the the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

That really turned out nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg2149 View Post

Looks incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I Likey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

The stars look great. Adds a whole new look the the room.

Thanks guys!

My ongoing home theater project, the Shoehorn Theater.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
+1 on all the positive comments...
Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

+1 on all the positive comments...

+2 Look killer.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm almost done with my basement/HT project. This past weekend I added a second home theater! I had a blank wall in a corner of the basement that we are calling a social room. The kids like karaoki, video games and all types of music so I used up some of my scrap lumber and carpet remnants to build a stage and proscenium for fun. The stage just sets in place and the proscenium and drapes mount to a single ledger board so all is easy to remove. Rather than the traditional fan/light I put up a single spot light for the stage. So far, my grandchild of 3 loves being in the spotlight and doesn't want to leave the stage even after more than 8 renditions of Mary-had-a-little-lamb!

LL
LL

Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Liked: 10
Wow, everything looks fantastic!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great looking basement remodel and HT. That starfield ceiling really sets it all off. Now, I couldn't help but notice -- is that George Brett's autograph on the wall next to the jukebox?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Somebody noticed! Yes, it is George's signature. He and his brother came over to see what I was up to as I was building my home theater. He was just beginning construction and hadn't even considered putting one in. A good friend of mine hangs with him and kept telling him to see mine. When he came over I handed him a huge magic marker and had him sign the wall (and a few other things).

The best story I can tell is that he showed me a picture on his iPhone and asked me if I knew how much it would cost to build a theater like the one he had photographed. I ogled the white leather theater chairs and proscenium arch curtains and said that I have no idea. He told me it was Rush Limbaugh's theater and it has seating for something like 24. Wow!

I've yet to see George's new theater but I'm working on an invitation.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
While I'm oogling George Brett's autograph (I was a huge fan in the 70's and 80's -- shame KC hasn't done anything in 20 years)... I'll also point out your Brunswick Gibson pool table. Nice!

Maybe he'd like to become a forum member...

Ohhh yea, the theater is great too!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post

While I'm oogling George Brett's autograph (I was a huge fan in the 70's and 80's -- shame KC hasn't done anything in 20 years)... I'll also point out your Brunswick Gibson pool table. Nice!

Maybe he'd like to become a forum member...

Ohhh yea, the theater is great too!

I'm just thankful that Kansas City still has professional sports!! We get to see a lot of other great teams play here. I shopped hard for that pool table. I didn't want to pay new prices so I found it in Atlanta through Craigslist and we took a short driving vacation to pick it up. All in all, I'd do it again.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

We get to see a lot of other great teams play here.

That is one of the more (cleverly) positive things I have read about KC sports lately!

George certainly has one of the more distinctive (and legible) signatures of any celebrity/athlete around. I'm sure it's all the more prominent in my mind from his Plaza restaurant. Too bad it didn't do better.

That's pretty awesome that he came over to check out your space. Glad you took full advantage of it!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShaw@BedHandles View Post

Just one more shot from the back of the theater.

Can you share how you got such even (wide spread) lighting from the rope light? Did you use a reflector?

Awesome look, I really like the doors.
ellisr63 likes this.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

The depth of the soffit cove where the blue rope light is located is 2.5". I just laid 2x2 boards (actual 1.5" square) into the channel to raise the rope very near the top of the cove along the entire length. I also used the clear stick-on rope light channel to secure the rope along the 2x2's. This accomplished spraying the light all the way out to the starfield trim. No reflector is necessary. When I first tried the rope light at the bottom of the cove it only spread about 1/2 the distance or less and a lot of the light was wasted.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to follow your lead as the look is really uniform. I have 15 ft of ceiling to cover, though I fully expect it will fade in the middle but want to splash at least a few feet from each side.

The clear channel, is that the same 1/2" type sold by Novelty lights and Christmas Lights people on the net? I was told it helped a lot but also that LED lights are somewhat directional. Did you use LED?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

The HD rope light channel has an adhesive backing that works somewhat well when gravity is with you and you don't have any bends. I usually used screws to secure the channel to a surface even with the double stick adhesive. $2 for a 4' length at novelty lights is a good price.

Initially I used incandescent rope but I didn't like the blue-green color so I switched to LED. The LED's are directional so I pressed it into the channel with the rope turned on so I could point the LED's up and out to maximize the light spray.

Be sure to experiment a bit with the height of the spacer used to raise the rope up to the top of the cove. You don't want to see the rope from any angle or while standing on a riser as it will diminish the effect.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thought it was about time that I updated my thread . . .

Finally decided to replace my Epson projector with one that handles 24 fps correctly. Somewhere along the way spec creep set in and I realized that I really wanted remote focus and zoom. I settled on the Sony Sapphire VW200. After getting over sticker shock I'm really, really pleased with my decision. The picture shows the back of my theater and the projector behind the window. Since the VW200 has remote zoom, focus and up/down lens shift I can now switch between 16:9 material and 2.35:1 without getting up.

My temporary and unfinished rack is just behind this wall in a utility room. I hate to show this picture but it will contrast nicely to the picture that I WILL publish when I'm finished with the utility room and rack after I complete the drywall and finishing. The rack equipment faces the utility room and is controlled by by Pronto universal remote via RF and an IR blaster. The topmost component is the VW200 projector.

Yes, go ahead and laugh, it's okay. It's such a mess it even makes me laugh!

I said I'd post a final picture after the equipment room was finished and I'm true to my word. Well, 2-1/2 years later after sitting down to watch a "few" movies I'm finally finishing my equipment room! It's a tiny 8'x8' utility space that houses two A/C units and leaves little room to turn around. I filed the wall cavities with cotton fiber insulation (blue jean lint), dry walled all around and routed all the wires. The rear subwoofer sits on a sand filled box that brings it up to the rear-riser height. There isn't quite enough room for all my gear so I made a couple of shelves to hold the butt kicker amp, UPS, and 8TB server for my movies. Every aspect of my theater lives up to its name: The Shoehorn Theater. Now, where is my movie list . . .

LL

Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wow,

Very nice. Well done. I have been waiting for your update and it is finally here! Yeah! Those power strips are pretty slick any info on those gems? Congrats on a great space.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mr. Rose.
I ran separate circuits to the AV center and separated them for audio and everything else, thus the two strips. I've had them a long time but they're still on eBay. Look for item 220761018009 or just click here. The main picture socket spacing is deceiving but if you scroll down the rest of the pictures are accurate. They are UL, they have a 15A circuit breaker, some very nice mounting clips and a really, really long cord. I cut mine off as I needed only a foot.

Finally, more outlets than any man needs!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I know this thread is a bit old now, but I just got done going through it and all I can say is ... WOW. Very beautiful, I love all of your decor throughout the whole basement, everything turned out exceptional!

Great job, really
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thought it was about time that I updated my thread . . .

Finally decided to replace my Epson projector with one that handles 24 fps correctly. Somewhere along the way spec creep set in and I realized that I really wanted remote focus and zoom. I settled on the Sony Sapphire VW200. After getting over sticker shock I'm really, really pleased with my decision. The picture shows the back of my theater and the projector behind the window. Since the VW200 has remote zoom, focus and up/down lens shift I can now switch between 16:9 material and 2.35:1 without getting up.

My temporary and unfinished rack is just behind this wall in a utility room. I hate to show this picture but it will contrast nicely to the picture that I WILL publish when I'm finished with the utility room and rack after I complete the drywall and finishing. The rack equipment faces the utility room and is controlled by by Pronto universal remote via RF and an IR blaster. The topmost component is the VW200 projector.
Yes, go ahead and laugh, it's okay. It's such a mess it even makes me laugh!

how much leg room is there for the second row seats? Im going to make my second row have that style seating and I'm trying to figure out the min amount of room I need. I don't think I have more than 20...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Four measurements from my back row:

There is 15" between the front of the seat and the back of the front row. This is measured when someone is sitting in the rear seat and is the space for legs.

There is 22" total leg room for someone to walk between the seats. This is measured when nobody is sitting in the rear seat.

There is 34" from the back of the front seat to the backrest of the rear seat.

There is 46.5" from the top of the front seat back to the top of the rear seat back.

I have to say that the back row is my favorite. The sound is best and and the leg room is great. I find that I frequently put my feet up on the armrests of the front row. Very comfy.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Both theater setups are awesome! Great work. I'll need to pick your brain a bit on the starfield.

I want to do something simlar, and thought I could do a window paned look as below, although I don't have a lot of height to work with:

P.S. - I should have used the dry plastic technique over the batting, I can see why you would do that now! Oh well, we'll see how mine holds up. It definitely gives a little more depth, but I have some ideas of how to work around that (outside of just using trim).

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

If you're going to do soffits then why not do the window pane look. I like it. The soffit boxes in the picture don't look any deeper than about 12". Since I have so much cloth in my theater I don't have reflections that occur during a movie. In a small room they can be quite distracting. The two black plastic "push" panels that I have on my doors are the exception in my theater and reflections off of those catch my eye regularly. I'd be a bit leery of the reflections off of the window panes across the ceiling for that reason. The primary reason I did the star ceiling was to kill ceiling reflections.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

In response to questions about the framing of my theater entrance I dug up some photos of its construction.

This photo shows the basic framing of the entrance.

A different angle so you can see the circular plywood cutouts that I used to establish the desired shape and scale.

Backside, or inside, view of the framing.

The curves are getting wrapped with 1/8" Masonite strips. The left column shows the 1/4 circle column fully wrapped while the right hand column has been cutout for glass blocks.

A detail of the upper curves.

I had prepared a shelf and cutout that was revealed after securing all the Masonite and stapling the edges. Testing the final dimensions to ensure the glass blocks will fit. Glass block dimensions are non-negotiable.

The entire structure was covered with two additional layers of 1/4" bending drywall and bull-nose corners. Or at least that was the plan. The drywall crew showed up without it though. Long story, but their final workmanship was just awful. I resorted to finishing the drywall myself. The best trick I conjured up was to use a heat gun to bend various plastic drywall taping knives to fit the curves and apply the drywall mud. Worked like a charm.

The baseboard is a foamed poly material that bends to follow curves.

I matched some red paint to the vinyl-covered doors. By the way, use a dark grey primer underneath red paint. Red paint doesn't cover even with three coats.

The handles are from an architectural tear down in NYC. They date from somewhere from the 1930's-50's.

The porthole windows are round wood frames purchased from cronescustomwoodworking.com. I used smoked mirrored plastic for the windows so light wouldn't get into the theater.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

One more picture, by request, showing the interior Push/Pull handle to exit the theater. The theater doors use ball-catch door hardware to hold them closed. I had to fabricate push/pull plates for the interior of the doors since the architectural handles used on the outside of the doors didn't come with anything for the other side of the doors.

ellisr63 likes this.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by BShaw@BedHandles View Post

One more picture, by request, showing the interior Push/Pull handle to exit the theater. The theater doors use ball-catch door hardware to hold them closed. I had to fabricate push/pull plates for the interior of the doors since the architectural handles used on the outside of the doors didn't come with anything for the other side of the doors.

Any breakdown on how the inside handle on the door was made?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
I like (here is a bump for the above poster)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."