Here are some more details on the fiber ceiling install.
First I laid out my ceiling into 14 panels. 12 of them are 47" x 47", 4 rows of 3 across. The other 2 are on the front of the ceiling. my proscenium is rounded, so I had to copy that profile onto the ceiling panels.
I attached 1x2's around the edges of the panels. I did not use furring strips (wish I had) to save ceiling height, so I had to plan where the cables were going to be routed through the panels. In the bottom of this pic are 3 panels and I am attaching the 1x2's.
After bulding all of the panels, I then had to drill the holes. The template above was blown up to the size of my ceiling, then I split apart the template for each panel, printed up each panel's template onto 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper. These were taped onto the panel, and then drilled. In this panel I also had 1 of the 3 shooting stars I put in. I drilled 80 holes 1/4" apart:
After drilling, I marked the constellation stars with my trusty sharpie. These would get larger fibers.
Next I stretched the fabric over the panel. I used some 3M super 77 spray adhesive on them to help hold the fabric in place, I am worried about the fabric sagging over time. You have to work fast with this stuff b/c it sets up quickly. I did not get a very good stretch on the fabric, but I hope it will last.
After the fabric was attached, I poked the fibers through. I used the EG-48 cable from FiberOpticProducts. This cable has several different sized fibers in it. In this picture you can see one of the front panels ready to be mounted on the ceiling with the fibers poked through:
Same panel from the side:
I had originally planned to use velcro to attach the panels. but, as everyone goes through, I changed the design (originally I was going to use just the frame and no hardboard) and these would have been too heavy for the velcro. I did not want any screws showing, so I (probably foolishly) opted for the liquid nails approach. I used finish nails to hold the panels up while the glue dried.
Now, for those of you who (like me) do most of your work alone, it was a little tricky holding the panel over your head, with the bead of liquid nails on the edges, trying to get them to line up in the proper position. Much cursing later, and I got them up, although I seemed to have the habit of rubbing some of the liquid nails off on an adjacent panel that was already attached. This was really alot of fun...
To fix that bumble, I applied a small amount of black paint over where I couldn't get the glue off the fabric... This was just how I had planned it to go...
Overall, the seams actually look good casually. If I look close, I can see where the corners don't line up, but the dazian cloth really sucks in the light, and you can't really see the seams. It also helps that I do not have any lights in the ceiling to hide the seams. I might come back and put some small molding in, but I am happy with the results for now.