Hinni Home Theater - need help with the finishing touches - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have procrastinated waaay too long in starting this thread. We started this project well over a year ago. It began w/ us just wanting to finish the basement, and me wanting a media room to hang a front projector. As we went along, it turned more and more into a dedicated room.

We paid someone to finish the basement, since my DIY skills pretty much involved knowing how to sign a check. During the build out, I hung out on these forums way too much, and started stressing about how to do things right. The DIY kicked in when it came time to do the low voltage wiring. It took me forever, but that started me off with the desire to do more and more things myself.

The design was done "ready, fire, aim style". If I had to do it all over again, I would have done it a lot different. There were many mistakes made, but I did a lot of things right. The smartest move was in hiring bpape out to do the acoustical design before sheetrock went up.

I'll throw in more information as this thread grows. Right now, the room is technically finished (i.e. inspection is complete, and the room is useable), but I still have the acoustical treatments to build and integrate into the room, and I want it done in a way that is going to make the room look more like a real HT instead of a media room.

My current bland state from the rear of the room:

Shot of the side wall:

Shot of the back:

Currently we just have one row of three seats. Due to the double doors (bad design) and the equipment closet being located in the room(more bad design), there isn't a whole lot of room left for another row. I think for now we are just going to get a bar height table, and a couple of bar chairs to put in the rear of the room. We also plan on throwing a couple of bean bags in the front.

The front wall is going to 6" of OC703 everywhere the screen is not. So the screen will get put into a shadow box. I'll likely use black GOM or Dazian cloth for the screen wall.

The part I am trying to figure out now, is how to make the side walls look nicer. We were originally going to just make simple 2'x4' acoustical panels wrapped in fabric, and hang them on the walls like pictures, but I am now more motivated to do go for a more finished look.

I am thinking about putting in columns where the sconces are. Those sconces are 14" wide, and that looks roughly the width I would want the columns. We'll replace those sconces with something narrower or potentially use some glass or something in part of the column and turn the column into a big light fixture. We have a wetbar outside of the theater room, and I was thinking of making the columns match that color.

Wet bar on the other side of the room:

We may want to end up replacing the trim with something in the same color as well.

If we go with the columns, I am not sure what to do in between them as far as the panels go. I need to draw something up to give some of my current thoughts, but I am thinking some panels like the ones used by GPowers, or perhaps doing different sized ones like you see in Sandman's theater.

In the past I was too shy to ask, so I am starting this thread now, to hopefully get this phase of the HT done right. So any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, direction would be helpful ;-)

Also, if you have any questions on the details of the construction/equipment or whatever, I'll be happy to answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Just as a starter, what is your equipment list?
post #3 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Projector: JVC RS1
Screen: 114" diag 2.4:1 DIY w/ blackout cloth
AVR: Pioneer Elite 84
HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-A1
Bluray: Samsung BDP1200
DVR: Dish 622 that is currently located in the family room, connected to the receiver via component video and digital audio.
Speakers: All ACI

Front: Sapphire XLs
Center: Sapphire XLC
Sides: Emerald XLs
Rears: Custom Emerald XLs that will go in the ceiling (not finished yet)
Subs: 2 of the Force XLs

Rack: Middle Atlantic AXS (slide out version of the slim5)
Chairs: Berkline 45004 motorized in leather/vinyl combo 7077-29

I'll likely upgrade the HD-DVD player once the 1080p24 firmware upgrade happens for the Toshiba XA2. I also may ugprade the AVR as well, as I haven't gotten the firmware updated to fix the LFE bug, and am hesitant to ship it off to get fixed. This receiver will work quite nicely in my family room, where there wouldn't be any sources that exploit the LFE bug.

post #4 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

I would definitely darken the ceiling and front wall....maybe just the whole room? Why not make the image the best it can be?
post #5 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The ceiling is actually quite darker than the pictures show. The front wall will end up all black once I put up the 6" of insulation that will act as a shadow box as well as bass absorption and wrap it in cloth. If things seem to bright after that is finished, I'll think about blacking up the area of the ceiling that is above the stage.

The main thing I am currenly trying to figure out is how to do the side and back walls w/ the acoustical treatments. Something nicer than picture shaped panels on the wall.

post #6 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Aaron,

You got nice clean look at moment. Think you need to decide is do you want full room coverings or partial wall. You mention GPowers and SandmanX with thier panels which are both great, another choice would be something like BIGMouthInDC's, Chinadog's, Jikkjack's and scaesare's. All unique great looks. Myself I decided just the treat 2/3 of the all and leave some painted drywall.

Best for you to take a look and see what color scheme and design you prefer.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #7 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Aaron, you have great gear - I think you should really do it justice by treating the room and darkening it per some of the other suggestions. Your room looks great already and you have a ton of potential to work with there. Have you thought about hiring BPape or Dennis to give you some targeted advice on treatments? That might help you decide between full wall and panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_hinni View Post

Chairs: Berkline 45004 motorized in leather/vinyl combo 7077-29

what do you think of the vinyl match on the chairs?

Craig

No changes are permanent, but change is - Peart
ReedZone Theater Thread
post #8 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

You got nice clean look at moment. Think you need to decide is do you want full room coverings or partial wall. You mention GPowers and SandmanX with thier panels which are both great, another choice would be something like BIGMouthInDC's, Chinadog's, Jikkjack's and scaesare's. All unique great looks. Myself I decided just the treat 2/3 of the all and leave some painted drywall.

Thanks, it has been the staring at all of the above theaters (amongh others, including yours) for the past year that has me desiring to do something nicer. Right now I am leaning towards taking your approach and leaving some of it as painted drywall.

I guess I need to break down and learn how to use sketchup or something to draw out some things that I am thinking so that I can bounce some ideas off of you guys.

post #9 of 273 Old 05-18-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_brew View Post

Aaron, you have great gear - I think you should really do it justice by treating the room and darkening it per some of the other suggestions. Your room looks great already and you have a ton of potential to work with there. Have you thought about hiring BPape or Dennis to give you some targeted advice on treatments? That might help you decide between full wall and panels.

I hired out bpape before we put up the drywall. He helped me avoid a ton of mistakes and has really helpful along the way. When I hired him though, I was just thinking we would hang panels, and not have any columns. He said the design would still work if I went with more cloth coverage, but just to leave some of the panels blank. As I get things more figured out, I'll contact him again to see if there are any new room elements that we can take advantage of for bass traps or anything. I'll post the acoustical design layout when I get a chance.

Quote:

what do you think of the vinyl match on the chairs?

They turned out quite nice. If I could figure out a good spot to put them in the room, I would order some more ;-)

post #10 of 273 Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As I mentioned earlier, I hired out bpape to do the acoustical design for my room. I haven't implemented any of this design yet, but that is what I am in the process of figuring out how to do from an aesthetics point of view.

The chairs ended up being located more towards left of center of the room, as opposed to being offset to the right like show above.

Originally I just planned on doing the simple fabric framed panels hung like pictures on the wall. Bryan said that I can still use the above design even if I go w/ the all cloth (or mostly cloth) look, but just to leave some blank space behind the GOM.

I'll see if I can sketch something up for what I am currently thinking for the side wall look, but I am currently contemplating just going about 2/3rd the way up the wall covered w/ panels, and leave the drywall exposed above that, with maybe some wood trim breaking up the lines between the cloth and the drywall. Note, that the panels called for are 2" thick, so I don't know if that is going to be too big of a depth change going to the drywall, and maybe I should just bring the cloth all the way up to the soffit.

post #11 of 273 Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, here is a rough idea about what I was thinking for the side wall. This sketch only shows the columns and an idea of what would go between them.

One of the first reflection points falls right where a column would go, so I was thinking of using part of the column as the acoustical treatment, and just wrap it in a dark fabric.

Thoughts?

post #12 of 273 Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The side walls are currently a tan color, with the ceiling,front and back wall a darker tan color. The carpet is a mixture of black, brown and tan. We are thinking whatever wood we introduce into the HT room (columns and new trim) should be a close match to the wood in our bar (I think it is medium to dark cherry stain on maple, the pictures in the first post are pretty accurate for those colors).

So if we go with a black cloth for the screen wall, does anyone have any suggestions for the cloth on the side walls?

I was thinking a dark tan or brown or something like that. Also, if we end up going with the various shape panel design like above, I am likely going to have to pick out two colors. But in looking through the online GOM samples, I am having a rough go finding something "brown".

Any help/suggestions anyone has to offer would be much appreciated. I'd also like to get some other ideas or feedback for the panel/column layout design.

post #13 of 273 Old 05-25-2007, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my side walls. Like I mentioned earlier, I am thinking about leaving some drywall exposed at the top of the wall, along w/ the soffits and ceilings.

But, if you take a look at the first picture in this thread, you may notice that there is more space between the right soffit and screen as there is between the left soffit and screen. The screen is centered in the room, but the soffits are different widths. I don't really know how much this bothers me, but it dawned on me that if I ended up covering everything but the ceiling in fabric, that I could make the soffits the same size. Any suggestions?

I don't know if I really want that much fabric, but it at least gives me more to noodle on.

I am in the process of ordering a bunch of GOM samples. Finding brown/tan GOM colors is a royal PITA.

post #14 of 273 Old 05-25-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have you looked at Burlap? It might come in a color that will work well. You can also take a trip to the fabric store and use the "blow-through" technique to find a material that is acoustically transparent enough for covering treatments.
post #15 of 273 Old 05-29-2007, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

Have you looked at Burlap? It might come in a color that will work well. You can also take a trip to the fabric store and use the "blow-through" technique to find a material that is acoustically transparent enough for covering treatments.

Thanks for the idea. From what I can tell, pretty much anything that you can blow through should do the trick. My only concern about going non-GOM is fire safety. No smoking allowed in my place, but I wouldn't want some other freak accident igniting my walls. It does look like there are some products that you can use to treat burlap and such to make it fire retardent though. Then again, if I am not going with full coverage, I don't know how concerned I should really be about this.

post #16 of 273 Old 06-04-2007, 12:22 AM

Liked: 12
Hey Aaron,,, here's my suggestions for your walls treatments/colors.

First off,,, IMO, too many different colors are distracting. The multiple colors will lessen the detail of the more elegant details that one's attention should be drawn to. (like the wood trim you may use on the columns)

First thing I would do is paint the side walls and soffit the same darker color of the rear wall/ceiling. I'm sure you don't want to hear that, but the two colors are a bit much when you add the beautiful woodwork + possibly two different colors of material on the side wall.

Next,,, paint the baseboards a darker color. (preferably matching one of the two material colors in the side wall) or better yet,,, remove them all together and run the panels and columns all the way to the carpet.

I like the design you came up with for the side walls. I think that the cherry maple with the material in the mid section within the columns is a wonderful idea. I would, however, use the wood sparingly and eliminate the wood trim area you have marked along the top of your mock-up drawing. (only use wood on the columns) Mixing several vertical lines, along with several horizontal lines can again become distracting and detail is lost.

I also like how you have broken up the area between the columns with the different sized and orientation of the panels. Here, however, I would lower the top most part of the sidewall panel to end at the same height as the material on the columns, match the column material color with the panel material, then, instead of mixing the orientation of the panels, (some short and vertical, some long and horizontal) I would only do one of the two. Example,, only do tall vertical OR long horizontal panels. Adding a more subtle detail, like beveled edges, on the single panel type can add a touch of elegance. This adds detail without distracting the eye from the greater picture,,, which is the overall design. Fewer individual panels with an edge detail is also less costly and easier to construct. (BONUS!)

Fabricmate and other companies manufacture simple to install track systems that are easy to create rectangular shapes with, then install the GOM onto with the OC in any configuration you like "underneath" the suspended GOM. This track system comes in a variety of edge profiles and sizes so you can easily add simple details like this. Lighting in the room will bring out the beveled edges for more detail if you so choose.

If you are going to go through the effort of building columns, I would definitely relocate your speakers inside of them, or build the column over the top of the current speaker location. Keep the sconce, or another lighting alternative that might be cool is to install small flush mount directional accent lights into the side of the columns, above the top-most portion of the panels, facing down at an angle from the side of each column, onto the fabric panels instead of the sconces. This accent light would add a very cool dimension to the beveled panel idea by creating shadows on the panel material.

Something like this.

I LOVE the carpet you chose for the room,,,, I would definitely pick one of the colors out of that carpet for the panel material color. (I prefer the dark gray color)

That's my .02,,, Love your room by the way. That bar is B-E-A-utiful!!!

You poor *******s... My GF actually said,,, "We can't put the couch there, that's where the sub goes"!!!

My HT build Thread
post #17 of 273 Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Treat the room. Cheapest and easiest... do Linacoustic or similar to the bottom half of the room, you can leave the top half just drywall. No need for acoustical panels above ear level unless doing panels all around which means you should measure out first refelctions (you should do that anyway) Do some bass trapping as well.

Read the acoustical master thread. That is going to be the biggest improvement in your HT.
post #18 of 273 Old 06-04-2007, 06:25 AM

I think the accoustic design is handled,,, he hired it out. I believe he's simply looking for ways to "cover" the treatment material for appearance purposes only.

You poor *******s... My GF actually said,,, "We can't put the couch there, that's where the sub goes"!!!

My HT build Thread
post #19 of 273 Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I love the carpet too... where can I get it?
post #20 of 273 Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrot View Post

Hey Aaron,,, here's my suggestions for your walls treatments/colors....

Verrot, Thank You! This is exactly the sort of feedback that I have been hoping to get.

Quote:

First thing I would do is paint the side walls and soffit the same darker color of the rear wall/ceiling. I'm sure you don't want to hear that, but the two colors are a bit much when you add the beautiful woodwork + possibly two different colors of material on the side wall.

Actually, that is what I want to hear. I really like the front/back wall/ceiling color a lot. Since I am going to be covering the front wall, and most of the back wall anyway, I think painting the remainder of the sidewall that same color is an excellent idea.

Quote:

Next,,, paint the baseboards a darker color. (preferably matching one of the two material colors in the side wall) or better yet,,, remove them all together and run the panels and columns all the way to the carpet.

I was originally thinking of removing the baseboards and replacing them with something stained the same as the columns. If just having the panels go all the way to the floor will work, then that will be something I will consider, and maybe get rid of the baseboards all together.

Quote:

If you are going to go through the effort of building columns, I would definitely relocate your speakers inside of them, or build the column over the top of the current speaker location.

I need to noodle on this one. I don't think the column would look quite right going in the location where the side speakers are. I would also need to make the column a lot deeper than I would want if I were to put the speaker inside of it. I can't quite visualize how it would look surrounded by the column, but not hidden.

Quote:

Keep the sconce, or another lighting alternative that might be cool is to install small flush mount directional accent lights into the side of the columns, above the top-most portion of the panels, facing down at an angle from the side of each column, onto the fabric panels instead of the sconces. This accent light would add a very cool dimension to the beveled panel idea by creating shadows on the panel material.

Something like this.

I hadn't thought about having accent lights shoot from the side of the column. That might be pretty cool. I really like the vertical panel layout you drew up. If my ceiling was higher, I might prefer the other way, but I think the vertical orientation will give the room a little more height.

Quote:

I LOVE the carpet you chose for the room,,,, I would definitely pick one of the colors out of that carpet for the panel material color. (I prefer the dark gray color)

That's my .02,,, Love your room by the way. That bar is B-E-A-utiful!!!

Thanks! I am not sure if there is any gray in there or not. I think it is black with various browns/tans or whatever. I'll have to look closer though. We picked out that carpet first, then used the colors in there to pick out the paint in the HT room, and the carpet color for the rest of the basement. I am really hoping that I can find a fabric color suitable for acoustical treatments that will match it quite well.

Thanks again for your input.

post #21 of 273 Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

I love the carpet too... where can I get it?

The carpet is made by Masland Carpets

The style is 'Rhythm'

It was one of the styles that BIGmouthinDC was looking at a while back. I really liked it, and then when we went to pick out carpets, our decorator explained to the carpet guy that we were looking for something 'fun,dark, etc etc', and it was the first sample that he pulled out. I said "That's it!", and we were done picking out carpet in the HT room.

As fair warning though, it is not cheap.

post #22 of 273 Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Hey I remember that picture:
It actually looks much better in your theater then I could ever have imagined. WAF said go with the squares. After seeing yours I would have picked it as well.
My design consultation fee bill is in the mail!

Here is a grey version

Masland carpet isn't discounted a nickel in this area. The Sandman got a great deal in Florida but here it was $45 yd installed. OUCH!!!!
post #23 of 273 Old 06-05-2007, 04:22 AM

AAAH,,, your pic of the carpet looks like it has a dark gray in it,,, that must be the black?

Quote:

I would also need to make the column a lot deeper than I would want if I were to put the speaker inside of it. I can't quite visualize how it would look surrounded by the column, but not hidden.

That makes sense,, I didn't know how deep the columns were going to be,,, guess I just assumed 8" or so. I was referring to hiding the speakers within the columns,,,, but that may mess up the "wood on top" theme of your column also.

Quote:

I was originally thinking of removing the baseboards and replacing them with something stained the same as the columns. If just having the panels go all the way to the floor will work, then that will be something I will consider, and maybe get rid of the baseboards all together.

I was originally going to do baseboards around my entire room. (on top of the front/rear wall panel material) After I got the panels up,,, my Lady and I decided that it could be too busy,,, and we could always add it later if we didn't like. Sooo we deleted them from the design, only installed baseboards on the side walls. Turns out we actually prefer the look of the panel down to the carpet. (and we don't have beautiful carpet like that to show off either!)

I agree with you on the vertical lines adding height to the room. I think the lighting across the vertically oriented panels (especially if you bevel the edges) would add a very cool detail to your side walls. (but I LOVE lighting/shadow effects) It would also give it the look of another color, without the added expense/construction. (If I ever change my sidewalls,,, I'm using this idea)

My HT build Thread
post #24 of 273 Old 06-05-2007, 04:27 AM

Hey Big,,, not to hijack,, but I L-O-V-E your "hidden rack behind the pillar" job in your room! I think that's probably my favorite rack job. VERY Sano!!

Sorry Aaron,,, Big's pic of the carpen in front of his hidden rack reminded me!!

My HT build Thread
post #25 of 273 Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrot View Post

Sorry Aaron,,, Big's pic of the carpet in front of his hidden rack reminded me!!

No worries. Everytime I see a pic from Big's room, even one I have seen before, I find myself staring in awe.

post #26 of 273 Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am somewhat back from the dead. I picked up a nasty virus a couple of weeks ago that had me in bed for almost a full week.

I had a bunch of GOM samples show up at the door a couple of days ago. I'll get some pictures of the ones we are considering, but right now I am leaning towards the Anchorage Coffee Bean color, and potentially some accents with the Anchorage Red Delicious. If I go w/ the Anchorage line for the side walls, I'll likely do the Anchorage Onyx(black) for the screen wall. The Anchorage line is not good to put speakers behind (which I am not), but is supposed to be just fine for acoustical treatments.

I am starting to think about just going back to the plain ole hung panel route, as opposed to the columns and chiseled panels covering most of the wall. I am worried that if I have the fabric going all the way to the floor, that I am going to be constantly worried about my 1.5yr old and/or 5yr old pushing on the fabric, and leaving dents or causing it to stretch or whatever. Is this something I should worry about?

I figure it would be easy to tell them to not touch the "pictures", but to keep a kid from touching the wall is not likely.

post #27 of 273 Old 06-15-2007, 10:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your illness,,,, glad you are better.

I was going to make some fancy panels for my room, pretty much an elegant Maple frame stained like my baseboards,,,,, but after I hung the GOM wrapped panels, I decided I really liked the way they looked as is, so that's how I left them.

As far as the kids and the panels go,,,, my 6 year old has known not to touch Daddy's toys since she was 1,,, for what it's worth?.

Good luck with it Aaron,,,, keep us posted.

My HT build Thread
post #28 of 273 Old 07-03-2007, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Still no real progress on the room itself. I finished getting my pool table back together over the weekend. I was able to get in some good stapling practice on that bad boy.

I started playing with Google Sketchup over the weekend so that I can map out some different design ideas. I am a tad slow w/ the tool, but it is definitely helping me visualize some things. I put the screen wall in place, and darkened up the soffits, and played around w/ columns etc.

Here is a model of the room w/ part wood part fabric columns, and simple hung panels. Note, that is not my carpet, but it was the closest carpet pattern they had in sketchup.

I think I need columns if I go the simple hung panel route, because the sconces we currently have will be hard to work around. My next step is to model up some designs w/ full fabric walls. Here I can go with or without columns.

I'd like to get some input on ceiling color. I am debating between going w/ a much darker version of what I have or black or just keeping what I have. If I go with the panel design above, I would likely paint the sidewalls the same color as what I have on my ceiling now, or potentially something darker.

post #29 of 273 Old 07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hm, reminds me of a classroom, but I am sure it looks more theater like in person. For the side walls I would go darker but not black. Also in the picture at least your panels seem too high.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #30 of 273 Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

Hm, reminds me of a classroom, but I am sure it looks more theater like in person.

Classroom?? Help me out on that one, because I am not seeing it. Don't fear though, as this is just my first sketch... trying to get a feel for how it would look with the simple hung panel approach as opposed to doing 2/3rds or the full wall w/ fabric.

Quote:

For the side walls I would go darker but not black.

I may end up going darker on the side walls, but black was never an option there. I am wondering about black on the ceiling, versus a dark brown. The side walls will either be painted the same color of my existing ceiling, or something slightly darker, and the acoustical treatments will likely be a very dark brown. Then again, I may go with full fabric walls which would probably be mostly the dark brown.

Quote:

Also in the picture at least your panels seem too high.

I don't have dimensions on that sketch, but I have those 2' x 4' treatments centered between the floor and the bottom of the soffit. This has them about 1'4" off of the floor. Would you consider that too high? I seem to remember bpape telling me that they usually go 2' from the floor, but it would be ok to just center them.

thanks,
aaron

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page