Do Corner Bass Traps have to be Triangles? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a situation where I am not really going to be able to do triangle bass traps in the corners due to space issues. Does this matter?

At the front on either side of the screen I can fit in traps that would be about 15" wide by about 12" deep and running from floor to ceiling. I am thinking of using Roxul Safe n Sound insulation since I have some left over. Will this work?

At the back of the room I have other challenges. I have a side window that butts right up against the back wall. This will make it basically impossible to build a trap on that side. I could build a trap on the other side but will this work if I only have one in that corner and not the other?

Brian
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-24-2007, 04:15 PM

Liked: 14
I'm confused by your question, but basically no the shape doesn't matter at all. Just the amount of absorbing material and its depth, and where it's placed.

I don't really understand how it's shaped as a triangle though...?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-24-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Many of the buy it off the shelf bass traps sold are triangle shaped and they tell you to put them in the corners, so I can see where the OP got the idea from.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Okay when I said triangles I was simply refering to other postings about bass traps mounted across a corner. The resulting shape is a traingle. I do not have the room to go across like that so I would end up with more of a rectangle. It sounds like that doesn't matter.

What about part two? At the back of the theatre I would only be able to put a trap in one corner. Is this okay or do they have to be balanced with one in each corner or not at all?

Brian
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Room modes (standing waves) can occur between parallel walls, between opposite wall corners of the room (e.g. front left and back right), and between opposite wall-ceiling-floor tri-corners (e.g. front left ceiling and back right floor). Or combinations of the above.

What all of these have in common is that they are all possibly present in a room tri-corners. (e.g. the front-left-ceiling corner).

Because of this, corners (three surface corners or two surface corners) are favored spots for bass traps. You can tame the most modes there.

Also, cheap fiberglass bass traps require a lot of depth to be effective. A 12" deep bass trap on a wall is hard to hide. But if you pack fiberglass into a corner, the deepest part can be 12" deep and the whole thing doesn't stick out into the room much. Another reason corner spanning traps are favored.

I suspect (without testing data!) that being close to the corner and absorptive of a broad range of deep frequencies is more important than the specific shape. If you can get 12" deep material flush up against the corner, standing waves are not going to be able to use that corner for reflection (one of the walls will be damped).

Go for it!

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page