Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 05-27-2007, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I've started the family media room.

The room is a rather oddly shaped square. Framed up and drywalled it'll be 20 x 19. There is one 6' 45 degree angled foundation wall on the left and a slightly shorter 45 degree framed wall(framed by me yesterday) on the right. These angles create a 14'x6' wide/deep alcove, which is where the screen and front speakers will sit.

I'm going with a 110" Carada with a display device TBD - leaning towards the Epson Home Cinema 1080P. Viewing distance will be about 16'

The room has no windows and is pitch black with the lights off. I'm going to keep lighting to a minimum - a few sconces on the side walls and 3 recessed lights above the screen.

Once I meet the 5 post minimum, I'll start posting photos.

More to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-27-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

It occured to me I can attach photos just not imbed them into the message.

My framing skills are somewhat better than my photography, but I think you'll get the general feel of the room.
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 59 Old 05-27-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice pic's
Keep us posted

Good Luck

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 59 Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

All,

Made some good progress on the framing bits. All walls are framed, fairly straight i think. I may have made a slight mistake by not layering an extra 2x4 on the top plate where it meets the floor joists. Oh well. I can get around that later.

Few new pieces of equipment That's a 110" BW Carada:

Screen wall view. The cutout in the center will be a box for the center speaker:

Standing with back to screen wall looking towards hallway:

Looking back towards the seating area. There will be four 090 series Berklines in the area around the chop saw. Black microfiber. I think these are the
most comfortable seats my wife and I have ever had the pleasure of lounging upon. I look forward to their arrival.

Much more to follow
post #5 of 59 Old 06-11-2007, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

All,

I've made some decent progress on the room - will post some pictures shortly. I ran wiring to the main panel for two new circuits, one 20 amp for the outlets and a 15 amp for lighting. I'll have total of 3 distinct circuits for the room, 2 15's and one 20. Five single outlet gang boxes have been installed and wired at this point.

The insulated duct work(seen hanging towards the floor in my last post) has been terminated and installed into register cans. I'm thinking I'll hire an hvac person to review my work and advise on cold-air return placement. The rest of my basement is already finished and there is no cold air return on the entire floor. This tells me the hvac contractor did not need a cold-air return for the basement. What i don't know is... now with the extra room, does a cold-air return become manadatory?

My Epson Home Cinema 1080 arrived last week - intact it seems. I haven't fired it up to check for damage. The owners manual states a projection distance of 10.8 to 23.0 ft for a 110" screen. I figure i'll mount it at about 12' from the screen(Carada BW). Any red flags from anyone on this mounting distance?
post #6 of 59 Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is your screen 16:9 or 2.35:1? and are you thinking of doing a constant height setup now or in the future?

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 59 Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

16:9. My screen wall construction rules out 2.35:1 for now. I'll probably stick to 16:9 for forseeable future.
post #8 of 59 Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

So far...

Epson Home Cinema 1080P
Carada 110" BW 1.78:1
Toshiba HD-XA2
Denon 2802 - Oldie but goodie.
2 x Wharfedale Diamond 8.3
2 x Wharfedale Diamond DFS
1 x Pinnacle Wide Screen Center
1 x Polk PSW303 - Probably a bit small, but is tight and quite loud.
Blue Jeans 12AWG speaker wire. Blue Jeans HDMI cables
Monoprice wall plates
Berkline 090 Black Microfiber - HO-LY Cow are these comfortable.

TBD on the power conditioner.

I'll probably upgrade the AVR when the new 1.3 HDMI compatible Denons arrive this summer/fall. Lossless audio over analog is darn good for the time being.
post #9 of 59 Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I wouldn't bother to upgrade just for HDMI 1.3. It sounds like projectors and content that would make use of 1.3 are still many years off. Now getting a new AVR for 7.1 does make sense.

Michael

post #10 of 59 Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm keen to the lip-sync correction provided by the newer Denons. Honestly though, I'm not sure this will even be a problem with my current setup.

I'm wiring my room for 7.1, even though it won't be setup that way initially. I figure I'll 'sorta-future-proof' the room.
post #11 of 59 Old 06-21-2007, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

All,

I passed the rough-in mechanical and electrical yesterday. Building is scheduled for tomorrow, 06/22.

Kudos to BritinVA for his projector wiring idea, as seen in his thread. I used his method. The inspector had no issue with that setup.
post #12 of 59 Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Glad to be of use to someone

Are you doing your own drywall? Not sure if you know but myself and Tom (tlogan6797) own one between us that we hire out to fellow AVS HT'ers for a very small fee. PM one of us if you have a need.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================

index on 1st post

post #13 of 59 Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Looking Good!

If you are doing your own drywall, are you are hauling your own, you may want to get to know global building supply in Leesburg.

Bigger variety of sizes 8,9,10 12' etc lengths. They actually bring the stuff right to your vehicle (I have a pickup) and help you load. They stock the Grabber brand of screws which I prefer over the grip-tites sold at HD and Lowes. Their brand of Drywall has a lightly printed screw pattern for 16 inch on center fastening (looks like you went with 24s)

I imagine that delivery service is available.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #14 of 59 Old 06-21-2007, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

4" can lights in front of the screen wall. From the seating area they will be hidden by the beam.

Dead center of the screen wall looking back towards the seating area.

Screen wall with view of the center channel speaker box.

Sump. This will be accessible via a 48" x 24" insulated and GOM covered panel.

Drywall and insulation - ordered from and delivered by Tarts.
post #15 of 59 Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Looking Good!

If you are doing your own drywall, are you are hauling your own, you may want to get to know global building supply in Leesburg.

Bigger variety of sizes 8,9,10 12' etc lengths. They actually bring the stuff right to your vehicle (I have a pickup) and help you load. They stock the Grabber brand of screws which I prefer over the grip-tites sold at HD and Lowes. Their brand of Drywall has a lightly printed screw pattern for 16 inch on center fastening (looks like you went with 24s)

I imagine that delivery service is available.

I've been getting supplies via Tart Lumber. They impressed me with a quick and detailed call-back regarding some cast aluminum doormats. I also prefer to give business to local folks rather than the big box stores - where possible. I'd bet Global is closer to me than Tart, I'll have to swing by for screws, tape and mud - spread the love, as it's said.
post #16 of 59 Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

All,

I passed the building inspection with an 'ok to insulate' and 'close-in' issued simultaneously. I'm now in the process of insulating.

I had a small mishap the evening before the inspection. While installing OSB for fireblocking, I fired a nail into the PVC pipe leading from the kitchen sink drain - DOH!! Fortunately, it was easily fixed with a new section of pipe and some couplings.
post #17 of 59 Old 06-25-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news on passing inspections - so you don't need to get insulation inspected before closing? Just final now?

Cheers,
Mark

index on 1st post

post #18 of 59 Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, the inspector wrote 'close-in' on the sticker. He asked me to schedule the insulation inspection, but he would pass it in the system without stopping by. Electrical and building will come for finals.
post #19 of 59 Old 06-26-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
ccubeman -

Finally came across your thread!

NICE work! I FINALLY got my inspections for HVAC and Plumbing scheduled for tomorrow. I TOIHGHT I had them scheduled for last Friday, but I must have done something wrong on the online site. Looks like you'll get done WAY before me!

See you Thursday evening! I'll give you the tour of my basement! PM me for directions.

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #20 of 59 Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

All,

Hung some drywall. With the right tools it's doable alone, but it sure goes slowly.

The collating screwgun... Man is this an amazing tool!

Hallway:

Side view of room:

Screen wall with a lonely piece of drywall:

Sconces. I decided against the Imagecrafters sconces. Too expensive. I'll paint this black.

Any ideas to easily hang these on a round gang box?
post #21 of 59 Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

My wife found the mounting brackets for the sconces under some packaging foam. Mounting problem solved!
post #22 of 59 Old 07-01-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

That drywall lift looks cleaner than went Tom picked it up from me.

looks like your making nice progress.

Cheers,
Mark

index on 1st post

post #23 of 59 Old 07-02-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice! You're making great progress!

Glad to see the lift actually getting used. Take your time, I'm in no hurry to get it back.

Tom

Tom Logan

post #24 of 59 Old 07-02-2007, 03:23 PM

Liked: 15
Looks good. Its coming together nicely

- Under Construction

post #25 of 59 Old 07-08-2007, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

All,

Finished hanging the drywall...

Hallway:

Screen wall looking from the right:

Screen wall looking from the left:

Looking back from screen wall:

New receiver, Onkyo 805. Works like a champ. There is some odd behavior when connected to an HD-XA2. The resolution in the hd-dvd player must be set to the max resolution of the TV, otherwise the receiver doesnt pass the video signal. No big deal though, I set the HD player to output "Up to 1080i".
post #26 of 59 Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Now for the taping, mudding and sanding......think most agree its the worse part of any build.

Looking good.

Cheers,
Mark

index on 1st post

post #27 of 59 Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

All,

Anyone know where one can rent either stilts or the long height adjustable benches? Preferably in the Chantilly/Sterling/Herdon/Ashburn/Leesburg area

Taping and mudding starts tomorrow, and i'll be darned if I'm using a ladder.

Thanks....
post #28 of 59 Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Sweet setup you have there, I'd only recommend a better sub and thats it, keep it up I will be watching the progress.

~Bobby
post #29 of 59 Old 07-18-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

I do not like mudding. Or taping. Or drywalling for that matter. The only satisfaction in the job is that, in the end, I can look back at the accomplishment. Of course, a kick-a** home theater will be pretty darn satisfying.

Next round of photos after this post will be the closer-to-the-finished job.

Hallway. See the outside 90 to the right? I used some material called No-Coat Ultraflex 450 in lieu of metal corner bead. Much easier to work with and
it uses 75% less mud to conceal the corner.

Screenwall:

Seating area:
post #30 of 59 Old 07-19-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used some material called No-Coat Ultraflex 450 in lieu of metal corner bead.

Did you find this locally?

Looking good!

Tom

Tom Logan

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page