What I'd do differently next time. - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #811 of 821 Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry I haven't gotten back to your response. I under went a medical procedure that day wasn't feeling very good afterward. The speaker wire is designed to go in the wall it's 12 gauge wire. That's the minimum requirement that Martin Logan recommends to be connected to there speakers. Or you can go with a thicker gauge wire to bring out the best performance from there speakers. And since I did not have conduit going towards the speakers there's no way that's going to happen. It's simply a matter of choice, flexibility if you will.
nathan_h likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 821 Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

It took me sometime with actually having the room setup to finally decide where I best liked all my equipment. Thankfully nothing is too permanently installed (yet) but I did run speaker wire Under installed carpeting to hide it. (in a finished basement) That took a LONG time and now I will have to redo it. Biggest reason I haven't moved stuff to where I really would like it. (my component rack)

post #813 of 821 Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Know your limitations! We're not all skilled in every craft. At least I'm not. I got a local guy to help with the framing. Best $40/hr I spent. Get a pro to tape and mud the drywall too. It will be money well spent. I'm just about at that stage, but have done it before and was glad I paid someone who knew what they were doing. Put in more electrical box than you think you'll need. I hate extension cords. If you'll be using a big, wide-screen TV, put in a 4' x 2 x 10 in the middle of your TV wall. Then anchor the TV mount to piece when installing. It will never come off. My new plasma is 120 lbs! smile.gif

- Rick

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #814 of 821 Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Someone really needs to create a bullet point list of these items in this thread as list of "watch out for this" for new builders. Some excellent suggestions in this thread.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #815 of 821 Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Since my space will be used as a multi-purpose room, I've included a lot of extra things that you would not normally find in a dedicated HT. Like running 20-amp service to every outlet, locating outlet boxes at desk-height, cabling for 2, or more complete audio systems (vintage & modern), and multiple sets of speakers to be jacked in/out at will. My total space also includes an electronics workshop that will also house the servers and all communications gear, along with a structured media enclosure.

I'm taking it very slow because I didn't engineer every cable run and type and have opted (by default I guess) to design as I go along. Not the smartest move, but I think we (my son and I) have just about thought of everything and have accommodated for it now. So, in retrospect, I would have 'architected' all of my structured media cabling needs much more thoroughly and taken the extra time to plan it out properly. As it stands, I haven't forgotten any big item, but let's just say, Monoprice had made a lot of money over the past 3 months from me - including late night orders for something we discovered we needed. smile.gif Not the most most efficient use of my time, and/or shipping $. - Rick

redjr...

post #816 of 821 Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Now that I'm pretty much done with the framing, soundproofing and soon to be drywall - my "WIDDNT" would be to hire someone else to do it all! I'm getting too old for all this manual labor and it's not getting done fast enough for my wife. biggrin.gif I'm hoping this is my last theater for a while, which means if I do move and need a 3rd one, I'll definitely be too old for DIY.
Haha blip. I understand completely. My space started in earnest last December and I just had my rough and electrical inspection last week. They both passed! Now my son and I are trying to finish up all the structured wiring and insulating. You are right, I won't being doing this again. It's my last mancave. smile.gif Rick

redjr...

post #817 of 821 Old 07-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
one thing I'd do differently is make my stage about 12" deeper. After every movie my kids (2 and 4) go up and dance to the ending songs and would love for them to have a bit more room.

I'm not sure what is more entertaining: the movie, or the dance party
post #818 of 821 Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 86
What I'd do differently next time? I'd just not do it! If I'd known what I had to do and what it would cost, I would definitely not have started it!

If we skip that part, I'd definitely give more concern to soundproofing to begin with, it caused me a teardown and rebuild since it wasn't good enough to begin with...

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #819 of 821 Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
What I'd do differently next time? I'd just not do it! If I'd known what I had to do and what it would cost, I would definitely not have started it!

If we skip that part, I'd definitely give more concern to soundproofing to begin with, it caused me a teardown and rebuild since it wasn't good enough to begin with...
A bitter pill to swallow. But there was something I heard recently about "the decision you never make". If you hadn't started, you would always wish you had. And when you finally get the space up and running, the memory of $$$ lost will fade as you sit back in your comfy chairs with your family and friends and proudly enjoy what you created! At least that's what I tell myself! No...that's what I tell my clients when I blow past their budget!!!

And a couple a wee drams and the pain will fade even faster...

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #820 of 821 Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

that's tough. i know both theaters i've built in my house took longer, cost more, and required more work than i expected. but once the work is over and the bills are paid off, i'm so glad i did it. i wouldn't have a house without a dedicated theater at this point.

i guess i could see it if i took a $100k loan out or something, and would be living with that for another 15 years. but that would be true if i bought anything that big...it's not that a theater per se isn't worth it. you can have wonderful outcome for relatively little money. certainly little enough not to have these kinds of regrets, i think.

- Chris
post #821 of 821 Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I felt that way at about the three-year mark. But the theater is essentially done now (four years total) and I'm just delighted with it.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page