post #841 of 860 Old 07-31-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudDad View Post
All you guys are talking about how much power you ran to your rooms and that's great.
RedJr, seems like you have a total of about 125 amps running to your room on the different circuits (but obviously limited to 100 by your panel).
My question is, did you guys actually need to upgrade the service to your house?
I think I have 200 amps coming into my main panel for the entire service for my house.
I can easily just run a 100 amp sub-panel for the theater, but I'm wondering if that's been a problem for anyone and they actually needed to upgrade their service from the street.

Thanks,
Bill.
I don't think my max load will ever overrun my sub-panel. Not only is it about load, it's also about convenience. I just wanted to have more available outlets than normal. So I ran more circuits with fewer outlets. In my particular situation I knew it was overkill, but the stratgey I wanted to deploy nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, between my son and I we have a lot of computer and audio gear, so in that regard we're probably not normal. He's running a 1kw PSU in his gaming rig upstairs! In my reno I also included a small electronics shop next to my media room where I didn't want to skimp on power either. Bottom line is - we'll likely never have all the stuff on at the same time, so I'm not really worried about tipping the scale on our 200amp main service panel.

I did not upgrade service from the road, but it was a question I posed to my electrical inspector before I started. I was originally planning on having a 60-amp breaker feeding my sub-panel, but since I wired with #2 gauge SER grade cable, I decided at the last minute to have the electrician put in a 100amp breaker in the main service panel. I just got the last couple of circuits wired up last night. I have two electric baseboard heaters (220v) that still need to be installed in the rec room though.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

Last edited by redjr; 07-31-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 860 Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
One thing I'd do differently is get better education and job so I have enough money to buy the equipment I really like..LOL.
post #843 of 860 Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
One thing I'd do differently is get better education and job so I have enough money to buy the equipment I really like..LOL.
If I am reading right, do you have a MBA? Should be doing pretty well with that.
smuggymba likes this.
post #844 of 860 Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
If I am reading right, do you have a MBA? Should be doing pretty well with that.
But I want a 100K system...LOL . With MBA you get a 35K system with all other interests and necessities. Maybe a lawyer or doc next time

Last edited by smuggymba; 07-31-2014 at 11:17 AM.
post #845 of 860 Old 07-31-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
But I want a 100K system...LOL . With MBA you get a 35K system with all other interests and necessities. Maybe a lawyer or doc next time
Any job today is a good job.
smuggymba likes this.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #846 of 860 Old 08-08-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Maybe a lawyer or doc next time
This lawyer doesn't have a $35,000 system. Shoot for the doctor!
Robert Jones II likes this.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #847 of 860 Old 08-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
This lawyer doesn't have a $35,000 system. Shoot for the doctor!
LOL.

I'm saving towards 35K now, hopefully I'll at least have 35K room soon.
post #848 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post
I would have stuck my center channel below the screen and fire it through the GOM instead of pay for a perforated screen that gives off a MOIRE pattern. Not much you can do to fix that.
MOIRE pattern ?
many people prefer perforated since the center peaker is at the right height

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://zonegamma.com/

Pioneer 5.1 VSX-822-K / Klipsch B-10 Surrounds / Boston Acoustics CS 225C II Center
Omage BBF-308 Subwoofer / Pioneer BD-120 Blu-ray player
post #849 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
Per Erskine Group recommendations, I am using a 240 V. 30 A. receptacle for all the equipment power. Then a step-down transformer which will handle a total of 5 KVA at 120 V. Thus all the equipment is on the same "phase".
Can you explain this one?? I have a 10/3 (white, red, black, and neutral) wire, hooked up to a 30 amp circuit breaker run to my AVS equipment closet... I am just frankly, not sure how to use it!! I had an existing 30 amp breaker that I wasn't going to use for the original intent, so, just re purposed it for my AVS closet. I am just not exactly sure how to terminate the closet end. I am not sure what a step down transformer is and how it would work (e.g., do I shook up a 4 prong outlet to terminate the wire in the closet, and the transformer plugs into that - and the transformer has 'normal' plugs on it???)
post #850 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
...I am not sure what a step down transformer is and how it would work (e.g., do I shook up a 4 prong outlet to terminate the wire in the closet, and the transformer plugs into that - and the transformer has 'normal' plugs on it???)
Basically the step down transformer steps the 240 V. 30A down to 120 V. 60A, and all 60A ends up on the same "phase". I will put a NEMA 6-30R 240V. receptacle in the equipment closet, and plug the rack-mounted step-down transformer/power distribution box into it.
Here is a link to a step-down transformer - http://www.middleatlantic.com/produc...ansformer.aspx
I will be using the Powercore EP-Core-5R here - http://www.exactpower.com/products/rmpcore/rmpcore.aspx
Take a look at the white paper on power distribution here - http://www.middleatlantic.com/resour...te-papers.aspx

Last edited by LeBon; 08-13-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #851 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Basically the step down transformer steps the 240 V. 30A down to 120 V. 60A, and all 60A ends up on the same "phase". I will put a NEMA 6-30R 240V. receptacle in the equipment closet, and plug the rack-mounted step-down transformer/power distribution box into it.
Here is a link to a step-down transformer - http://www.middleatlantic.com/produc...ansformer.aspx
I will be using the Powercore EP-Core-5R here - http://www.exactpower.com/products/rmpcore/rmpcore.aspx
Take a look at the white paper on power distribution here - http://www.middleatlantic.com/resour...te-papers.aspx
Any idea how the EP-Core-5R and Middle Atlantic ISOCTR-5R-240-2 compare? If I remember correctly (I'm not quite to equipment purchase phase) that Middle Atlantic is quite a bit less expensive than Exactpower.
post #852 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Thanks for the Info! Looks like you have a Volt... I have one too... my 're-purposed' 30 amp circuit was initially intended for an electric car charger. I ended up running a 50 amp circuit instead, in case I get a 'faster charging' electric car in the future! Unfortunately, the Volt's built in inverter, limits the charging speed some. I love the car though!
post #853 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarey View Post
my lessons learned list starts off with "hire Dennis" but the main things I kicked myself about where:

1. Cutting 9 holes in my double dryway with greenglue for lights - idiot!! The thing is like swiss cheese in the ceiling.

Look at this superb idea for lighting...MDF and LED on each side...no holes !
I'm planning on doing this for my project...I found this on Houzz

Pioneer 5.1 VSX-822-K / Klipsch B-10 Surrounds / Boston Acoustics CS 225C II Center
post #854 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I like that carpet. (The lighting too, but that's too involved for my current project, maybe theater #4 )

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #855 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCentaurus View Post
Look at this superb idea for lighting...MDF and LED on each side...no holes !
I'm planning on doing this for my project...I found this on Houzz
[snip]
Which is very nice looking, no doubt, but it absolutely requires a white or near white ceiling to serve as an indirect light source. White is rarely considered an acceptable ceiling color for theaters.
post #856 of 860 Old 08-13-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
Any idea how the EP-Core-5R and Middle Atlantic ISOCTR-5R-240-2 compare? If I remember correctly (I'm not quite to equipment purchase phase) that Middle Atlantic is quite a bit less expensive than Exactpower.
That is correct. However, the EP-Core-5R has switched outlets, which I need for my QSC Amps and JBL powered subs. The Powercore also has more monitoring bells and whistles. There will be a 6 kVA UPS ahead of the Powercore, and also a standby generator out back. "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing..."
post #857 of 860 Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Thanks for the Info! Looks like you have a Volt... I have one too... my 're-purposed' 30 amp circuit was initially intended for an electric car charger. I ended up running a 50 amp circuit instead, in case I get a 'faster charging' electric car in the future! Unfortunately, the Volt's built in inverter, limits the charging speed some. I love the car though!
Yes, I have a 2011 Volt #579 . I love the car. In my remodel, I too am running 50A charger circuits in the garage for future (even thought the Volt EVSE only uses a 20A breaker).
post #858 of 860 Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Which is very nice looking, no doubt, but it absolutely requires a white or near white ceiling to serve as an indirect light source. White is rarely considered an acceptable ceiling color for theaters.
Maybe I'll put White LED on a black cealing
I'll buy RGB LED so I can change if needed

post #859 of 860 Old 08-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
That is correct. However, the EP-Core-5R has switched outlets, which I need for my QSC Amps and JBL powered subs. The Powercore also has more monitoring bells and whistles. There will be a 6 kVA UPS ahead of the Powercore, and also a standby generator out back. "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing..."
Yea, that's what Dennis spec'd for me as well, but I'm busting my budget on the room build, so am having to skimp on equipment. I was considering holding off on the step down transformer, but that Mid Atlantic looks interesting.

What I didn't realize until I was just trying to find reviews, is that Middle Atlantic owns ExactPower. At least it's another choice, but I have a little while before I need to decide.
post #860 of 860 Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'd run conduit to all the locations my speakers will be, one to the riser and one to the PJ(the last one I actually did). I'd also have planned the theater before the house and moved the bathroom which is the perfect spot for a equipment room
nathan_h likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page