What I'd do differently next time. - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 76Likes
post #931 of 946 Old 07-25-2015, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 946 Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I know what I would do differently next time.. use some quality paint instead of that cheap stuff!

I'm now repainting a few years later and a theater is a lot of work to repaint! Speakers moved out, surrounds pulled off walls, bass traps moved out, seats to wrap in plastic, carpet to cover with paper, built in acoustic panels covered in paper, tape everywhere!!!!

Learn from me kids, Behr paint or don't paint at all!

I caved!
post #933 of 946 Old 07-27-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Can't you just keep the lights off?

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #934 of 946 Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

You sound like my wife! It's gotta be presentable for that 22 seconds it takes to walk in, sit down, and then turn the lights off! duh!

I caved!
post #935 of 946 Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
I know what I would do differently next time.. use some quality paint instead of that cheap stuff!

Learn from me kids, Behr paint or don't paint at all!

Funny, my painter who has 40 years in the business, thinks Behr is crap. Forget Homecheapo, go to a real paint store and buy one of Benjamin Moore's top lines such as Aura and see what real paint quality is. Or Sansin, or Para, or Sherwin-Williams. All of these companies have various lines made to fit various price points. Their top lines are good, but unfortunately expensive. The little known Ontario company, Sansin, has been low VOC for over a decade before it was trendy, so their R & D is ahead of the competition. I've been using their exterior stains with much better luck than the other big names.

When it comes down to it, as expensive as good paint is, it is still a small amount when you consider your time to put it on.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #936 of 946 Old 07-29-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Everybody's got their opinions I guess. I can't remember which paint we used the first time that I hated so much, whatever the cheapest home depot sold 10 years ago. We actually painted our master bedroom with Sherwin Willams and I would never buy that stuff again. I remember it being about 50 bucks per gallon and it took 2 coats to put maroon on a white wall! I like Behr, it's a true one coat paint and it's thick enough that it doesn't drip. The Sherwin Williams had to really be watched as it was just a super thin paint

I caved!
post #937 of 946 Old 07-31-2015, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
Funny, my painter who has 40 years in the business, thinks Behr is crap.
That was my impression too...I wonder if the OP was kidding?

Stef
post #938 of 946 Old 08-01-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh come on now. Coming from someone that has to pay someone else to paint his house it's a bit hard to take him seriously isn't it?

I caved!
post #939 of 946 Old 08-02-2015, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1983
Trying paint in a single coat ? Sometimes it takes more than one coat to get a superior result. I know it's more cost in paint and more work but that's why some paint jobs look better than others. If you are a person that cuts corners you should expect it to look that way. Painting is one of those things. You can't rush. You can't cheat. It is what it is. I hate painting. But when I do, I do it right.
post #940 of 946 Old 08-02-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Im repainting my theater now and yes it is taking one coat. Are u implying that I might not have the ability to judge wether or not one coat is covering properly? Its paint, not a mission to mars. The snobiness in this forum can be overwhelming at times.
post #941 of 946 Old 08-02-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
use a 1 inch nap. Make sure u load it up with alot of paint and dont compress too much when painting. Sometimes its not the paint but the person doing the paint. behr is great paint.
post #942 of 946 Old 08-02-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Oh come on now. Coming from someone that has to pay someone else to paint his house it's a bit hard to take him seriously isn't it?
Actually, I'm a general contractor with over 30 years of experience in structure and advanced mechanical systems. No, I don't paint. I have someone you takes care of that. Just trying to share what my professional has experienced.

Personally, I try to buy as little as I can from Homecheapo. Much of the materials I use is beyond their niche market and for the lumber and plywood, I get better prices and much better quality materials from my other suppliers. HD is merely "convenient". I also try to buy Canadian, US or Western European. The local Home HARDWARE carries nails made in British Columbia that can be driven into LVLs, unlike the Chinese crap. Watch the labels!

post #943 of 946 Old 08-02-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Im repainting my theater now and yes it is taking one coat. Are u implying that I might not have the ability to judge wether or not one coat is covering properly? Its paint, not a mission to mars. The snobiness in this forum can be overwhelming at times.
I wasn't talking directly to you. I honestly have no clue about your individual project. Didn't even look or consider it in my comments. My comments were general advice on painting.

I've found that using good paint, not trying to cut corners, using good rollers and brushes, and if needed using multiple coats has worked for me many times. Every time I try to do a job on less paint by doing fewer coats, or rushing through it to get it done- I end up regretting doing that because the results could have been better. It's just advice. This thread is about what you'd do differently next time. In the context of the thread I though my comments fit. I didn't mean any offense. If so, sincerely sorry. Paint is an aesthetic thing, you can always see and appreciate a great job. I absolutely hate painting- I lack patience for it. What I hate most is there is never an easy way to cheat or rush it. A pro gets efficient with it, but that's the best you can hope for.
post #944 of 946 Old 08-02-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I wasn't talking directly to you. I honestly have no clue about your individual project. Didn't even look or consider it in my comments. My comments were general advice on painting.

I've found that using good paint, not trying to cut corners, using good rollers and brushes, and if needed using multiple coats has worked for me many times. Every time I try to do a job on less paint by doing fewer coats, or rushing through it to get it done- I end up regretting doing that because the results could have been better. It's just advice. This thread is about what you'd do differently next time. In the context of the thread I though my comments fit. I didn't mean any offense. If so, sincerely sorry. Paint is an aesthetic thing, you can always see and appreciate a great job. I absolutely hate painting- I lack patience for it. What I hate most is there is never an easy way to cheat or rush it. A pro gets efficient with it, but that's the best you can hope for.
EXACTLY!

This is a forum for advice and for sharing experience. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert painter, but I can pass on what I know from my professional painter with the hope that it helps someone make a better decision. My painter painted my 27' x 27' kitchen ceiling, back rolling it and keeping a wet edge. There is not a single roller mark, anywhere! I can't do that. I can only make the 27' x 27' ceiling.

drunkpenguin, loosen up and accept the advice or not. I know I get good ideas and will avoid some oversight because of entries from this thread and others. Many from first time builders with a fresh perspective. Don't take it as a personal attack.

Behr is an "OK" paint at a good price. But it certainly does not compare to a top of the line paint which is up to about $70 for 4L (1 US gal) in Canada. Sorry.

thesamarai...I hope using a 1" nap was a joke...

post #945 of 946 Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post

thesamarai...I hope using a 1" nap was a joke...
I thought the same thing. I'm a 1/4" or 3/8" nap guy. The fatter the nap the less smooth the result.

I like using the premium rollers for smooth and semi smooth surfaces.

The goal is not to use a big fat paint roller that holds a ton of paint, and therefore skip having to dip and redip often. Sure it might be faster, but it's not at all better.

This goes back to the comments I made above. I know how to paint. I learned the hard way, done it many times. That hard way is the way it comes out good. The easy way is the way it looks like poop. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

patience is a virtue. You are rewarded for taking your time. Always using wet edge, and going over stuff more than once. Dipping paint roller often, and rolling it out before applying it will give you the perfect amount of paint- not too much and not too little. Doing it right is at odds with doing it fast or doing it easy. Yes, a premium paint roller is twice the price. Yes, it takes more time and effort. Yes you need to be more careful with a proper paint roller than a cheap fat one that leaves a less smooth surface and holds more paint.

At the end of the day most people will choose to do what they want to do. It's not my house, theater, and I don't have to look at it. My advice was just to help those that care how it will look maximize their efforts.

IMO the cost of an expensive paint and expensive roller and expensive brush are worth it because it's a small cost compared to the labor of the job. The hard part is the labor. Using the right products only maximizes your efforts in terms of results- and to me that's value. I often DIY stuff not to save money, but because I am always disappointed when someone else does a job inferior to one I would do myself. If someone could guarantee me a job much better than I could do myself, I would gladly pay. It's hard to find good workers. As a normal guy, it's easier to DIY than open the yellow pages or start calling people I don't know and take a chance. This is where referrals are important- go look at someone else house they painted and see if you like it first. Save yourself some troubles. A lot of professionals when they find a good person will keep them, because they realize the value there. It's not about cost, it's about value.

If I am going to take the time to paint a room, a room in my own home that is important to me how it looks, I don't mind another $10 spent on brush and roller, or another $10 spent on a gallon of paint. It's pennies on the dollar compared to the time, effort, and mess. The hard part is doing it, and cleaning up. For that part of the trouble I expect and awesome result. I might be weird though?? IDK. I appreciate stuff like that.
just jim and nandkisham like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #946 of 946 Unread Today, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have to say, this thread is a hugely useful resource for those of us looking to build our own first HT. Thank you all and well done on sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction