What I'd do differently next time. - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #961 of 980 Old 11-09-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyk47 View Post
Nope. Poured my heart into that house and she got it. Truth was she was a VP of big IT company and could afford the house on her own and I couldn't. Sounds like I'm bitter but truth is my life has been much, much better since then. Toys for boys isn't everything.
Well my brother said it best after his divorce. "I lost half of my income, but yet I have more money than I ever did before."

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 980 Old 11-10-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Nope. Poured my heart into that house and she got it. Truth was she was a VP of big IT company and could afford the house on her own and I couldn't. Sounds like I'm bitter but truth is my life has been much, much better since then. Toys for boys isn't everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Well my brother said it best after his divorce. "I lost half of my income, but yet I have more money than I ever did before."
I know the question is supposed to be for Home Theater, but I have to do it...
"What I'd do differently next time?" - PRENUP!
bpassman likes this.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #963 of 980 Old 11-11-2015, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It may have been covered, but I'd hire a better drywall seam filler to do the job and not go with the lowest quote as a default. I got 2 quotes of wildly differing prices. $1700 + Material or $600 + Material for my small basement and theater room with estimates of 3 visits of work.

I chose the $600 quote thinking I would have some money to put into other things. I saved some cash, but spent about 20 hours of my own time applying another coat of mud to all corners, sanding and fixing missed areas. My laundry closet wasn't finished at all.....

I'd pay the money next time to have it done right and trust references. I'll avoid hiring 'trades' from classified ads. They are usually just a handy dude with more courage than talent.
post #964 of 980 Old 11-11-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 809
I always went with the lowest bidder and it worked out very good for me. Guess i got lucky.
post #965 of 980 Old 11-11-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_now View Post
I'll avoid hiring 'trades' from classified ads. They are usually just a handy dude with more courage than talent.
Even for $600 he should have been licensed.
post #966 of 980 Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
That's rough. Especially since I've heard stories where the shoe was on the other foot, and the husband breadwinner had to keep paying for the home while the wife got to live in it.
post #967 of 980 Old 11-17-2015, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Have to say my intent sharing my story wasn't about sharing a sob story but more to share the emotional and mental aspects of going through the research and planning process only to have basically a "failure to launch". Rightfully so the vast majority of this thread is about things folks would have done differently from a design, build, or technical aspect and it's a good source of lessons learned. I couldn't help but wonder how many out there have never realized their dream or plans for whatever reason or reasons and not necessarily technical reasons.
post #968 of 980 Old 11-25-2015, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had 0 complaints from my last setup, but it was more of a multipurpose living room with in wall/ceiling 7.1 surround centered around a 65" panny and everything in a AV closet. Very functional. Very every day. I never had second thoughts about anything... Then I moved and came back here.... Now I'm at the tipping point and have a room I'm going to make a dedicated theater. Oh lord here we go.

That said, now I'm trying to wade through the information so I don't make easily avoided mistakes with my first dedicated theater. Threads like this have been a life saver! Thank you

I'll be posting an advice thread shortly.

Lane
post #969 of 980 Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Spec'd out a new custom home with a bonus/game room upstairs. Perfect for a HT. The model had a full bath connected to that room...ostensibly, so you could make that room a 2nd Master BR if you wanted to.

I SHOULD'VE made that full bath a 1/2 bath and made a separate equipment room with it's own door...the space was there. But I was worried about resale value, and opted to keep the full bath...and now my equipment rack will be out in the room, fans and lights a blazing. Go with your gut!
post #970 of 980 Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Question for those of you who have build already or considering:

Giving the choice of a smaller theater space, in exchange for a lounge, bar and a nice theater entrance, what would you do?

I basically have around 550-600sqf of space for either a larger theater or smaller one with an extra room in front of it, as described above.

* Design a theater around 375sqf with a 225sqf lounge area (or other distribution of space) or,

* Design a theater using the whole 550-600sq and no lounge infront of it

Perhaps some of you with lounges + theater can shed light on usage and usability of such a room?
post #971 of 980 Old 12-30-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post

Giving the choice of a smaller theater space, in exchange for a lounge, bar and a nice theater entrance, what would you do?

I basically have around 550-600sqf of space for either a larger theater or smaller one with an extra room in front of it, as described above.

* Design a theater around 375sqf with a 225sqf lounge area (or other distribution of space) or,

Perhaps some of you with lounges + theater can shed light on usage and usability of such a room?
My HT is about 375-400 sq/ft, I do wish it were about 100sq/ft bigger so the rear row could be further off the rear wall. It's not a huge deal as I don't sit there, but would have been nice to have that extra bit of wiggle room. Having said that, I don't know what your entertainment needs are or how much you might utilize a lounge room. Behind my home theater is the kids play room . But if you don't have kids anymore at home then I guess I could see how that would just bbe come a sitting type room for entertaining purposes. Personally I'd go for the larger theater, you can "lounge" in the HT . But seriously just depends on what you plan on doing more of, sitting and talking with guests or watching movies.
clausdk likes this.
post #972 of 980 Old 12-30-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine is 16x21. For us, it's perfect... just big enough to feel spacious with plenty of room for side isles. We sit 4 across with 2 rows. First row is 10' back from a 10' wide screen (perfect for 2.35) and the second row is 16' back, perfect for 16:9. But we also have a vaulted ceiling that goes from 9' to 17', so maybe that makes it feel more spacious than if it just had an 8 or 9 foot ceiling. I also have a projection room, so there's no equipment in the theater either.
clausdk likes this.
post #973 of 980 Old 12-30-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

My theater is 18' wide x 23' deep, so it's smaller than your total space. If I could do it over again, and if I had more room available (and a suitable layout), I think I would put in a projection booth at the back of the room, so that there would be a totally acoustically isolated, climate-controlled room for the projector and equipment. As it is, my choices of projector are limited by aesthetics and noise.

As for the theater itself, I like my size a lot. I wouldn't want it to be smaller, and making it larger wouldn't make a lot of sense from the standpoint of screen size and viewing angles (until you get big enough that you can add an additional row, but that's a big jump in size that also requires changes in screen size. My projector is not bright enough to light up a substantially larger screen with the screen material I'm using (which I really like) so then you end up, again, wanting a sound-isolated booth...

I don't think you're wrong in wanting a sort of lounge area. I would like a larger area around the popcorn machine, in a separate room from the theater. As it is, my machine is in a smallish space, and I have to close the door to the theater when I pop to keep the smell and the small amount of smoke from getting into the theater. So, people either have to hang out in there while I pop, or hang out with me in the small space. Having a larger lounge where we could all hang out before the movie would be pleasant. I solve this problem for myself today by just going downstairs an hour before people are coming for a movie and popping the popcorn. The warming function in the machine keeps it in fine shape.
clausdk likes this.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread

Last edited by JustMike; 12-30-2015 at 10:27 AM.
post #974 of 980 Old 12-30-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Our "hang-out" room is the great-room/kitchen. Popcorn/wine/beer... all right there plus seating/bar. Theater is just a few steps down the hall. So, depending on your house's configuration...
post #975 of 980 Old 01-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I only made a 2-channel 2-way active crossover setup. But next time I will go overboard with glassfiber reinforcement. I thought I wouldn't need it with the high-density particleboard I used (22mm thick designed for weight-carrying floor duty between 600mm distance beams). But there's still some give in it, certain frequencies more than others but there's a definite tingle in the fingertips if held against the various enclosure surfaces on 100db+. That's energy that is lost not making the correct sound. Internal glassfiber reinforcement to insane levels next time (so as to not lose lots of volume to reinforcement).
post #976 of 980 Old 01-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Now that my theater is approaching the very end as my very first full theater I've created, I would change the following things:

-Forget the dual display. Once you see an amazing projector image you want to see everything on that screen (my 80" flatscreen now sits in the living room).
-More outlets. I put a bunch in but I'd add even more: powered subs, powered Fortress seats, powered Lutron shades. With more outlets comes future flexibility.
-Next theater built from scratch will have a very large AT screen. I love the looks of my Aerial Acoustics speakers but having kids near very expensive speakers sometimes is too anxiety provoking.
-Even bigger. My theater is already large in comparison to many theaters (roughtly 26x19x9) but I'd want it slightly wider and slightly longer and slightly higher for a perfect theater space
-Forget the plan regarding windows being put in but being built over with hat channel and sound proofing with the thought of the next house owner knowing he could change the walls and have windows again. The heck with the next owner!
-Build in a more thorough cooling plan for the equipment and room.

That's it. Overall I couldn't be happier with my theater in the way it turned out. The colors picked out, the wood choice, the equipment purchased, the FOSI star ceiling, the sound proofing. I still get goosebumps when I walk in and see what I've created.
gtorresn likes this.
post #977 of 980 Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
Next theater built from scratch will have a very large AT screen. I love the looks of my Aerial Acoustics speakers but having kids near very expensive speakers sometimes is too anxiety provoking.

If you have a chance next time, go for a cathedral ceiling. Mine goes from 9' to 17' and it really gives it a spacious feeling. I have 20 down-firing halogens strung in a grid over the seating area at 9' and the ceiling disappears. It feels like there's nothing above you. This was purely by accident. It's just how my house was built.

Also, you're gonna love a lot more than just speaker protection with an AT screen!
post #978 of 980 Old 01-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
If you have a chance next time, go for a cathedral ceiling. Mine goes from 9' to 17' and it really gives it a spacious feeling. I have 20 down-firing halogens strung in a grid over the seating area at 9' and the ceiling disappears. It feels like there's nothing above you. This was purely by accident. It's just how my house was built.

Also, you're gonna love a lot more than just speaker protection with an AT screen!
I agree with you regarding the AT screen. As far as the ceiling... my FOSI star ceiling is simply beautiful and I could never imagine giving it up. It takes a ton of effort to make one and about 140-160 hours if you work your butt off but once the lights go down and you look up.... WOW
post #979 of 980 Old 01-11-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
I agree with you regarding the AT screen. As far as the ceiling... my FOSI star ceiling is simply beautiful and I could never imagine giving it up. It takes a ton of effort to make one and about 140-160 hours if you work your butt off but once the lights go down and you look up.... WOW
Holy cow! That sounds great! Yeah... those things are beautiful,
post #980 of 980 Old 02-13-2016, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hopefully will be finishing up my home theater basement in a house we purchased about 6 months ago.

Really like the way its turning out, but if I were to do one thing differently I think I would put some sort of ceiling up instead of paint the bare floor joists black. Its a short basement so I wanted to keep as much height as possible, and the ceiling does look good now, but it was a total pain in the butt getting that thing painted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page