What I'd do differently next time. - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 141Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1021 of 1038 Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
I have a rear entrance, but its at the rear corner, still can fit a row of seats in the back.. how wide is your room? I guess if its less then 16' wide or so then I could see how that would be hard.
Yeah... this is what I do too. The door at the rear opens onto the right isle. And my theater is 16' wide too. It's comfortable, not cramped.
erkq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1022 of 1038 Old 07-03-2016, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I would have gone with theater seats with shorter backs. The higher backed chairs tend to block sound from the surrounds and possibly other detrimental effects. On the plus side. I did get a great deal on them and they're very comfortable!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #1023 of 1038 Old 07-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Gary Sedlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Las Vegas,NV
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What we are doing different this time. Our new home will have another dedicated room, it will be larger. Our current room is 23.8 long, 12.8 wide and 10 ft ceiling. The new room will be 24.2 long, 15.6 wide with a 9 ft ceiling. Also we are prewiring for Atmos.

We are looking at running HDMI in wall instead of using a switcher like we are now that is run via cat 5 in wall. Therefore going directly from the source to the HD or 4K TV that we will be using.

Have fun with music and HT

Gary
Gary Sedlack is offline  
post #1024 of 1038 Old 07-04-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I would have gone with theater seats with shorter backs. The higher backed chairs tend to block sound from the surrounds and possibly other detrimental effects. On the plus side. I did get a great deal on them and they're very comfortable!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha. And I would have picked seats with taller backs and longer foot-rests for comfort. Speakers can be moved, but comfort is more limiting.
nickbuol is online now  
post #1025 of 1038 Old 07-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 174
One important consideration for basement theaters: dehumidification. I have a sensor switch and fan to to the outside that turns on automatically in the event it senses excessive humidity. Moisture is not only bad for the basement, but for all your valuable electronics and speakers as well. It can be shut off when watching a movie, but it runs fairly quietly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #1026 of 1038 Old 07-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Patriot666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
One important consideration for basement theaters: dehumidification. I have a sensor switch and fan to to the outside that turns on automatically in the event it senses excessive humidity. Moisture is not only bad for the basement, but for all your valuable electronics and speakers as well. It can be shut off when watching a movie, but it runs fairly quietly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I run a GE dehumidifier in the basement. It runs constantly. I'm a bit obsessive about dehumidifying as well as humidifying in the winter to maintain a constant upper 40's. You are running a fan outside the house to dehumidify? Is it like a radon system fan? I haven't heard of this method. Thanks for sharing I'll have to investigate this.
Patriot666 is offline  
post #1027 of 1038 Old 07-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Member
 
sbowers2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Don't move into a senior mobile home park, and hope to run a full-blown, THX-esque HT! Already had the sheriff visit . . . Got flex walls?

Current HT setup: AMD-based HTPC running Windows 10 Pro and Plex, Yamaha RX-V575 AVR, Vizio 65" LCD TV, Panasonic DMP-BDT225 Blu-Ray Player, Infinity SM-122 L-R Speakers, Klipsch RP-450C Center, Axiom QS-8 Surround Speakers.
sbowers2 is offline  
post #1028 of 1038 Old 07-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
I run a GE dehumidifier in the basement. It runs constantly. I'm a bit obsessive about dehumidifying as well as humidifying in the winter to maintain a constant upper 40's. You are running a fan outside the house to dehumidify? Is it like a radon system fan? I haven't heard of this method. Thanks for sharing I'll have to investigate this.


There was a pail-type dehumidifier in he basement when we moved in. It was noisy, almost always on, and had to be emptied frequently. I replaced it with a Panasonic fan I found on Amazon, you connect the fan to the ceiling and run ductwork to the outside (be careful to seal the outside vent carefully or water can come into your basement walls). You can buy several sensing switches (or manual only). I wanted one that sensed automatically and turned the fan on when humidity was sensed, but that I could also adjust the sensitivity of and manually turn on and off. I bought the Leviton, for around $20. Now, I'm good to go. Unfortunately for me, excessive humidity from pervious owners caused moisture problems in the walls, which I replaced (sound proofing and properly insulating as I went). The new walls should stay moisture free and I'm confident now my equipment will not be damaged by moisture.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #1029 of 1038 Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Btw, the Panasonic is strictly a dehumidifier, it's not a radon system fan. Heard about it on a home improvement radio program. (Glen Haege). Really surprised no one's mentioned the value of a ceiling mounted dehumidification system for a basement home theater, it's quite important.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #1030 of 1038 Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Patriot666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Btw, the Panasonic is strictly a dehumidifier, it's not a radon system fan. Heard about it on a home improvement radio program. (Glen Haege). Really surprised no one's mentioned the value of a ceiling mounted dehumidification system for a basement home theater, it's quite important.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My GE has an internal pump that auto drains out to my washer drain. It works well but runs constantly. I'm not sure it'd be worth it to cut a hole in the wall to the exterior to do what you did. It's something to consider though, thanks. I am considering doing that to run a backup water powered sump pump. Ie the sump pump that needs no electricity, just water pressure from the public water supply. Also it will work indefinitely, even if power is out for weeks, whereas a battery backup would run out of juice eventually. After lots of research it seems like a great solution to me as you're much more likely to lose electricity than water. https://www.amazon.com/Basepump-Wate...ater+sump+pump
rhodesj and healthnut like this.

Last edited by Patriot666; 07-30-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Patriot666 is offline  
post #1031 of 1038 Old 07-30-2016, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
My GE has an internal pump that auto drains out to my washer drain. It works well but runs constantly. I'm not sure it'd be worth it to cut a hole in the wall to the exterior to do what you did. It's something to consider though, thanks. I am considering doing that to run a backup water powered sump pump. Ie the sump pump that needs no electricity, just water pressure from the public water supply. After lots of research it seems like a great solution to me as you're much more likely to lose electricity than water. https://www.amazon.com/Basepump-Wate...ater+sump+pump


Sump pumps are also an important, (though often overlooked), part of properly maintaining a basement. This is valuable information for sure, thanks for posting!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #1032 of 1038 Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Member
 
Scott 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would have use liquid nails on all my soffits. The 2 12 SVS subs are starting to rattle the wood veneer that was brad nailed and wood glued. where there are low spots the glue did not adhere:disappointed::weary:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1470147639806.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1579369   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1470147694149.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1579377  
Scott 44 is offline  
post #1033 of 1038 Old 08-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
what I would do different is hire a dedicated theater designer
GreySkies and hatlesschimp like this.
SeanP48072 is offline  
post #1034 of 1038 Old 08-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 44 View Post
I would have use liquid nails on all my soffits. The 2 12 SVS subs are starting to rattle the wood veneer that was brad nailed and wood glued. where there are low spots the glue did not adhere:disappointed::weary:


You might have been better served using screws rather than nails also.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #1035 of 1038 Old 08-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Member
 
Scott 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would love to see how you hide wood screws on a finished veneer paneling and crown molding:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::joy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1471115677553.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1600897  
Scott 44 is offline  
post #1036 of 1038 Old 08-13-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 7,192
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 886
I think he meant to say you're screwed.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1037 of 1038 Old 08-15-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GreySkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 4,019
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 44 View Post
I would love to see how you hide wood screws on a finished veneer paneling and crown molding:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::joy:
I used wood plugs and a little bit of filler with all the wood trim I put in the media room in my last house.
GreySkies is offline  
post #1038 of 1038 Old 08-15-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
I used wood plugs and a little bit of filler with all the wood trim I put in the media room in my last house.
Yes, that's a common method, but not without compromise, depending on how detailed you want to be. It's hard to have continuous grain through a plug! But it's the way I'd do it too if I had wood trim.
erkq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off