so what do you think of my budget HT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks AVS forums I did alot of searching to help select a projectors, amp,dvd player, speakers, cables, and a whole bunch of setup questions. We love it and everyone that sees it is blown away. The 57 inch tv downstairs is now too small though I have less than $3500 into it including the seating. I'll list my components with a short review and then add pics. Everything was bought new except for the refurbished DVD player.

Room info:
22x23 ceiling vault goes from 6 feet to 10 feet. Image is projected at 137 inches diagnol pretty much 10 feet wide. Seating distance is about 16 feet.

Projector: Mitsubishi HD1000U
Great 720p projector for the $, no complaints, used mount direct mount. Does DVDs well and looks awesome with the OTA HD content

Amp: Panasonic Saxr57
Its a digital amp, had to pump up the bass a little, bought it mostly for the HDMI passthrough, Kinda wish I would have spent a few more $$ for an Onkyo

DVD: Sony DVP-ns75h
No complaints good little player good upconvert picture very cinema like

HD tuner: Voom tuner
I got it for free since it turns off when you switch to pbs??

Cables all from Monoprice, great stuff great prices.

Speakers: Paradigm CS series in walls.
The LCR are all cs160s and are painted wall color and the rears are bipolar 6 inch rounds in the ceiling, like a dummy I did not run two pairs to each speaker so I could of had a 7.1 effect. I was quite worried with the whole in wall thing but was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality it did require some tuning with the sub (necessity) but it sounds very good.

Sub: Bic H100
great sub for the $ It does very well. Plenty of Bass.

I have added an HD-A3 HD dvd player and have a PS3 on the way. I am loving HD stuff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Vary nice

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #3 of 8 Old 06-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice, two of the walls in my living room are painted almost that exact color.

You going to add anything else to it? (Acoustic panels, etc...)
post #4 of 8 Old 06-08-2007, 06:10 AM

Very nice! While I like to look (and salivate a bit at the more expensive HT's; I spend the most time looking at the budget theaters!

Shawn
post #5 of 8 Old 06-08-2007, 07:31 AM

Like it alot.

Next steps for me would be to go crazy with black paint on the window trim, ceiling and doors.

Acoustic panels at reflection points.

Trim out the screen? What kind of screen is that?

Maybe make a stage, not needed for speakers, but might help focus thee theater look.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

I like it. It looks like the kind of place where you can just go and relax watching a movie or the ball game with some buddies.

If you feel so inclined, you might want to look into making something that does a better job at blocking light from the windows. That will help improve the percieved black level and contrast in the picture.

Like Solodon said, acoustic panels (DIY would be fine, nothing expensive) at the first reflection points will help the audio.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 AM

I love it! My theater will be almost the same color except the ceiling and screen wall will be painted black.

You don't always need to have a stage, riser, columns, etc. to enjoy a home theater. You could always add one thing at a time as time and money permits.

Rinker Family Cinema Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=Rinker
post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-2007, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I am not planning on any acoustic panels, though I am sure it would be a good idea, I had it all hooked up before I had carpet and it was really bad. Would accousitc panels be better on the walls or ceiling, I am guessing ceiling.

The white trim and ceiling look great but do reflect too much. Particularily the ceiling its the main culprit, luckily the projector kicks out alot of light.

The blinds are cheapies for sure, like under $20 for the pair. The blinds block the light very well but I do have a lot of leakage around the edges. The windows face north so I don't notice a big diffrence when it is light outside.

The screen is just satin white paint. I could do the trim on it but would have to make the picture a few inches smaller and I don't know if I can do that

I am pleased with the black levels, It tricks the eyes pretty good, you look at the black sceen and it looks black but then you tell yourself the wall is really white and you can focus on that and tell its white. Pretty tricky. You would think I would be more picky about it since the downstairs tv is a crt.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction