post #271 of 2101 Old 06-16-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Sounds like a reasonable goal. Funds permitting, I may get close to that too.

Yeah, I for sure understand the budget constraints. I am quickly burning through the cash supply especially here in the last month or so. I just hope that the budget can hold up to the projected deadline (or beyond) and that I don't miss my goal and fall short due to cash restraints.

While I don't regret the spray foam decision at all it did take a lot from the budget that I had not originally planed for in the big scheme of things. I may have a finished space by Christmas, however it may be unfurnished with a 13" tube TV and computer speakers.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2101 Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hear you. Looking at what is left to purchase (projector, seats, carpet, fabric, treatments, rear surrounds, BR player) this "final stretch" phase will be pricey.

post #273 of 2101 Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know in this last month, I bought:

- a screen
- a pre/pro
- last 1/2 of speaker deposit
- the Oppo BD83
- a miter saw

My wife gives me "the look" now when I ask about a budget matter...

I think she bought a ton of shoes this month to boot (ha! pun intended!)

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #274 of 2101 Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

I know in this last month, I bought:

- a screen
- a pre/pro
- last 1/2 of speaker deposit
- the Oppo BD83
- a miter saw

My wife gives me "the look" now when I ask about a budget matter...

I think she bought a ton of shoes this month to boot (ha! pun intended!)

Well we all know the most important purchase listed is the miter saw followed closely by the Oppo.

Although you could say Momma's shoe purchases keeps her happy so she noses around less in your business dealings.

I had to buy my wife a new kitchen for me to get my basement. So far I've come out ahead on this deal by an easy two to one. My basement will be about twice as expensive as her kitchen (even if I do spend more time in it than she does!) DOH!!!!

My wife actually HATES to shoe shop. She much prefers to have a stock pile of purses. That is her weak spot.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #275 of 2101 Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick update to keep my thread out of the archives. My drywaller is still working on the finishing work. He is moving along slowly, but nicely. My job is a "side job" so I understand his progress rate and was completely agreeable to it with out any issue. He does great work and due to this his rate was great too so I can't and won't complain. I decided to go with a "knock down" finish for the ceiling and smooth finish for the walls.

My wife and I are now trying to decide on colors for the kids area as this will be the first area finished. We are considering anything and everything besides blues as that is reserved for the theater. Any color combination's ya all want to throw out as suggestions feel free to do so because at this point it is wide open.

I'm also trying to nail down equipment for the kids area too. I'm going with a plasma in the 50-58" range, 5.1 surround, blu-ray (PS3??? or Pioneer 51), HD-DVD, and our trusty PS2 (if I get a stand alone BR player). Any suggestions in this area are welcome too. I first thought about a HTiB for the 5.1, but I think I can spend slightly more and get a much better setup vs. a true HTiB.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #276 of 2101 Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The Oppo BR is starting to ship. I passed up my pre-order slot, but intend to pick one up in a few months.

post #277 of 2101 Old 06-22-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Oppo BR is starting to ship. I passed up my pre-order slot, but intend to pick one up in a few months.

Yeah, I passed on mine too. I have given that unit a lot of thought for the dedicated space, but the price on the Pioneer unit is quite a bit less than the OPPO and for the kids area I just don't need a "big gun" like the OPPO.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #278 of 2101 Old 06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

My wife and I are now trying to decide on colors for the kids area as this will be the first area finished. We are considering anything and everything besides blues as that is reserved for the theater. Any color combination's ya all want to throw out as suggestions feel free to do so because at this point it is wide open.

Scarlet and Grey gets my vote...
post #279 of 2101 Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

MR ROSE! YOU HAVE WALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haven't checked in for a while. it is coming along nicely. you must be jazzed.

greg

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
post #280 of 2101 Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

Hmmm..... That is an interesting combo, one that I have not thought of, and I do like both of those colors. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygreg View Post

MR ROSE! YOU HAVE WALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haven't checked in for a while. it is coming along nicely. you must be jazzed.

greg

Yup, I'm really pumped. I had been staring at studded walls and electrical wiring for so long I still have to pinch myself when I go down there. The best part is now that it is taking shape my wife is getting excited as well.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #281 of 2101 Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a short update.

Today I was able to finish my "water intrusion" prevention program. The weather finally cooperated and coincided with time off so I was able to remove the OSB boards covering my window wells and replace them with the clear covers. I siliconed the joint between the window well and the foundation to keep water seeping through and then used some construction adhesive to keep the clear window wells in place and when the adhesive dries I'll go back and silicone the edge for a little extra insurance.

My drywall guy has finished the ceiling texture and will be back on Monday to start sanding. He also said if I would provide the materials he would prime the drywall for a couple of hundred bucks. I said "sold" with out much thought prompting him to retort I should have asked for 400.00. Both of us got a chuckle from that. There are a couple of places he'll need to touch up but no big problems.

As has always been the plan the kids area is the first to get the finishing touches and this is the area my wife wants done before Christmas (she really wants it all done but.....) and if things keep going this should be a reachable goal.

Sorry smakovits the wife vetoed the scarlet and gray. Thought it was a good suggestion so don't let that stop you from throwing some more ideas my way. Your suggestions do go before the "high court".

Regards,

RTROSE

post #282 of 2101 Old 06-27-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

hmmmm Buckeye fan I would bet

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #283 of 2101 Old 06-27-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

Things to ponder.............did not think of that. Good point. I'm thinking that combo would be better than the Black and Gold of Purdue though, but not as good as the Cream and Crimson of IU.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #284 of 2101 Old 06-27-2009, 05:27 PM

RTROSE

"Those that HAVE had water in their basement and those that WILL have water in their basement."

Well, although I don't have a theater down there, the basement is finished and after 20 years, I've never had a water problem (knock on dry wood).
post #285 of 2101 Old 06-27-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by md1953 View Post

RTROSE

"Those that HAVE had water in their basement and those that WILL have water in their basement."

Well, although I don't have a theater down there, the basement is finished and after 20 years, I've never had a water problem (knock on dry wood).

DUDE...NO you just did not say that! What in the blue blazes are you THINKING man!!!!!

I'm glad to hear that for 20 yrs. you have not had that first issue, I sure hope your luck continues. If you are fortunate to live in an area with sandy soil your battle is already half won. I live in a very clay rich soil area which holds lots of moisture and water. But that is not why I actually had water in my basement. I still stand (unfortunately) by my statement though as most people I know have had water in their basement at some point in time.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #286 of 2101 Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

DUDE...NO you just did not say that! What in the blue blazes are you THINKING man!!!!!

I'm glad to hear that for 20 yrs. you have not had that first issue, I sure hope your luck continues. If you are fortunate to live in an area with sandy soil your battle is already half won. I live in a very clay rich soil area which holds lots of moisture and water. But that is not why I actually had water in my basement. I still stand (unfortunately) by my statement though as most people I know have had water in their basement at some point in time.

Regards,

RTROSE

The laundry room is down there (steel jacketed supply lines, of course) and we did have an interesting occurence a few years back. The washer would not drain, so I used the shop vac to see if I could clear whatever was in the drain. Worked like a champ as I heard a thump in the bottom of the vac. Opened it up and found a......dead rat! Very nice. I don't know what he was up to, he didn't respond to questioning

The drywall makes all the difference, defining the space. Hope you've conquered your water problems.

Hate to say it, but it looks like your Colts will be embarrassed on national TV come November 15th. Sorry about that.
post #287 of 2101 Old 06-29-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Neither did I until last year when Hannah blew through AND MY SUMP PUMP FAILED. Three inches of water and a removed dricore subfloor later, I'm just now getting ready to replace it. Fortunately, I didn't have any drywall up and got the water out within about 2 hours so there have been no long-term effects. Still have a boatload of "stuff" stored in the garage that came out of the basement, but luckily we lost very little more than cardboard boxes.

Don't kid yourself. Fortunately, I was paying for the additional flood rider on my homeowner's insurance.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #288 of 2101 Old 06-29-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Logan,

I knew you had water issues but had forgotten how it happened. Under normal circumstances most of us would still be basement owners that WILL have water not HAVE had water, but then again we're not talking normal circumstances. Yours was a hurricane, mine was a torrential down pour of biblical proportions, and I would guess prior to our "issues" that both of us would have said all is well in our basement.

Unfortunately I still stand by my statement and to all that have not had water issues yet I continue to wish you the best of luck.......my it continue to hold.

Now back to our regularly scheduled build.

My drywaller finished up the finishing work and sanding today and tomorrow he sprays the primer and if all goes well will be finished tomorrow. I am so happy that I have not had to do the drywall, but boy I still can't escape the mess. There is drywall dust everywhere. Those who have done or are at the drywall stage know exactly what I'm talking about.

Now I'm looking for colors for the kids area and going to be starting the sanding process for my basement doors.

The wife is having/wanting some input regarding the kids area and the common theme surfacing is brown. When I asked her why brown she stated it was a color we really haven't done as a theme before. Not sure about the browns yet as I have not seen a brown color pallet that moves me...........Stay tuned!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #289 of 2101 Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by md1953 View Post

Hate to say it, but it looks like your Colts will be embarrassed on national TV come November 15th. Sorry about that.

Oh now not too fast there buddy boy. Time will tell but I think a Patriot whooping is in the air. I am very curious to see how this new coaching staff leads the team, but I'm confident the Colts will find their groove by the time they meet the Pats. Sorry, but it's the Pats that will be embarrassed when the day is done.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #290 of 2101 Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
RPh Drew actually gave some good advice (there is a 1st time for everything! ) -- vacuum/wipe everything down then rent a rug doctor and use it with just water on the floor.

It is absolutely amazing how much crap it gets up off of the concrete.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #291 of 2101 Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

I've been following your work (and Cathan's) for quite a while. Basically living vicariously through your builds. LOL

Looking really nice.

Like I learned at a former job. You can have any two of the following: SPEED, QUALITY, or PRICE.

I only did a small bar area, and I completely understand the drywall dust issue!! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1137605
That small area coated everything in our house (even with teh AC units off) with a light layer of dust and we're still finding several weeks later. UGH.

Anyway, maybe with the drywall and priming done, it'll give your motivator a swift kick in the rear and you can meet your deadline.

again, Nice work so far....

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #292 of 2101 Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RPh Drew actually gave some good advice (there is a 1st time for everything! ) -- vacuum/wipe everything down then rent a rug doctor and use it with just water on the floor.

It is absolutely amazing how much crap it gets up off of the concrete.

Yep, I tend to agree with ya that Drew finally came through with an idea that was actually worth something. Although in my application I can't take advantage of the Rug Doctor because of the flooring system I have is topped by OSB which HATES to be wet so soaking it with a Rug Doctor is not going to work. I would use the RD if I was just on bare concrete though, perfect solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgroves View Post

I've been following your work (and Cathan's) for quite a while. Basically living vicariously through your builds. LOL

Looking really nice.

Like I learned at a former job. You can have any two of the following: SPEED, QUALITY, or PRICE.

I only did a small bar area, and I completely understand the drywall dust issue!! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1137605
That small area coated everything in our house (even with teh AC units off) with a light layer of dust and we're still finding several weeks later. UGH.

Anyway, maybe with the drywall and priming done, it'll give your motivator a swift kick in the rear and you can meet your deadline.

again, Nice work so far....

Thanks for the kind words, and glad you have been following my (and Cathan's) threads. It is always nice to know that your work is being followed and appreciated, although Cathan's build is a couple of notches higher than mine due to the beautiful woodwork and the IB setup he is doing.

I'm hoping that once the priming is done I can get back down there and give the space a good cleaning and then get to work securing the floor and on to sanding and staining the doors and woodwork. Cathan said at one point that drywall marks the halfway point and looking at it right now I would say it is more like 40% vs. 50% but like the 10% really matters at this point.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #293 of 2101 Old 06-30-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm hoping that once the priming is done I can get back down there and give the space a good cleaning and then get to work securing the floor and on to sanding and staining the doors and woodwork. Cathan said at one point that drywall marks the halfway point and looking at it right now I would say it is more like 40% vs. 50% but like the 10% really matters at this point.

Regards,

RTROSE

Ha! Don't sell yourself short. Getting halfway done is a huge accomplishment, and let's be honest. That last 10% of the project we all know gets done many, many moons after the first movie is played in the theater. In terms of just the passing of time, I would venture to guess is that the last 10% may take as long as the first 50%.

I can tell you this though, post drywall, the work get's a lot more fun. With each step you can "see" the direct impact on your final project. It really helps motivate you to keep going.

post #294 of 2101 Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Like Cathan said, it's that 10% that makes a HUGE difference. I thought I'd never finish my bar until I got the drywall finshed. Then when I got it painted it really pushed me to get working on it. Until them it was the dreaded hole I was working on...then if became the alcove I was working on, and once the cabinets were test fitted I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I only wish I had an area to make into a HT. Our current house just isn't right for a dedicated HT. A house we looked at before this one would've had a great HT with a fireplace already built in to the room and a connected office for the gear and my office. But they wanted too much, the house was much older, and many other rooms in teh house were small and odd shaped. Curse you early 70's houses, and your blasted designs!! That's why I'm living vicariously through you guys...

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #295 of 2101 Old 07-01-2009, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

rgroves,

I sure hope I can continue to live up to your expectations, living vicariously through me may be/could be an excruciating process! I'm getting motivated again to get back down there to start again.

My wife came home yesterday from Lowe's with a bazillion paint samples. She laid them all out and then said "hey why don't you try to pick the ones I like" Sheesh.....I would have had better luck picking the winning lottery numbers. We wanted to come up with a scheme we have not used before so that sort of limits our options. We have done a combination in differen rooms of the house of blues, browns/reds, greens/reds. yellow/white, and faux finishes so we are trying to be creative and tasteful in our application too.

BTW who comes up with all of these paint names....Cowboy Boots, Thunder Gray, Fishnet, Book Cloth Brown, Chocolate Curl..........makes your head spin, and to top it all off she made mention of going carpet shopping today too. AAAAAACK!!!!!!!!! I'm not ready for that anguish yet! Information overload!!!!!!

On a sad note my drywaller showed up yesterday to finish and prime, got his spraying equipment set up made a couple of passes and his sprayer "exploded" (according to the wife) and he had packed up and was gone by the time I got home. I called him and he is not happy about the situation (obviously) but I think he is more stressed about the delay in getting my job done and of course the cost of the repair to the sprayer. I have a couple of options to explore, but I want what is best for both of us since he has done an excellent job and gave me a big break already on his labor costs.

Now off to start sanding on my doors.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #296 of 2101 Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

RPh Drew actually gave some good advice (there is a 1st time for everything! )

Quote:

Yep, I tend to agree with ya that Drew finally came through with an idea that was actually worth something.

HEY!!! I heard that... TWICE!!! I pitty the foo (in my best Mr. T impersonation) who messes with me.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #297 of 2101 Old 07-01-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

I can tell you this though, post drywall, the work get's a lot more fun. With each step you can "see" the direct impact on your final project. It really helps motivate you to keep going.

I'm hoping that most of the post-drywall projects become somewhat shorter in duration, which makes it easier to see the progress. Which makes it easier to stay motivated....

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #298 of 2101 Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

...BTW who comes up with all of these paint names....Cowboy Boots, Thunder Gray, Fishnet, Book Cloth Brown, Chocolate Curl..........makes your head spin...

That's funny. I probably have to turn in my man card after the paint color we picked- puppy paws! Notice that I mentioned this in your thread rather than mine

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #299 of 2101 Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha! Don't sell yourself short. Getting halfway done is a huge accomplishment, and let's be honest. That last 10% of the project we all know gets done many, many moons after the first movie is played in the theater. In terms of just the passing of time, I would venture to guess is that the last 10% may take as long as the first 50%.

For sure, my drywall was complete in November of 2008...while I am close, I still have a bunch of items that need completed. At least I can use the room at this point to relax and watch shows.
post #300 of 2101 Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

true that, GO BUCKS!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags