Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2103 Old 08-18-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
ATTENTION ATTENTION WOOP WOOP WOOP DANGER DANGER

I got a call from the Mrs. today and she wanted to know all about AVS Forum so she could show her coworkers the basement.

She's on to me now there is nowhere to hide!

We all know what happens when the Mrs. start to lurk around here and then heaven forbid start to post!

Quickly covering my tracks and editing all the posts I spoke ill of her,(Just kidding Dear!) and trying to make myself look smarter than I really am.

Now all of you behave yourselves, there is a LADY present now. Possibly.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2103 Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
UH Oh !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #363 of 2103 Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You are sooooooo screwed now.

post #364 of 2103 Old 08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As someone who has had his wife swipe his account multiple times to make posts, I can only sympathize with your situation.

Just tell her she's pretty and pat her on the head.....my wife loves that.

(starting evil plan to slow down RTROSE's progress. it'll take like 6 weeks for his broken bones to heal)

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #365 of 2103 Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All right some more progress pics.

Here is an oops I had to fix before I installed one of the closet doors.

In the other door ways I cut the underlayment and the OSB to fit in the door opening for some reason I did not do this. I was a pretty quick fix but something I should have caught in the first place.

First door hung, plumbed and leveled.

Look hanesian a wood pile (sort of) just waiting to be cut, mitered, and nailed.

Now trimmed with hardware.

Now working on the theater flooring and pretty sure we have picked the carpet (which was actually easier than picking paint colors) and now I'm trying to noodle through just how I want to finish off the stairs. The baseboards have also been installed but I don't have any pics of that yet. Really came together pretty nicely and just a couple of places I'll need to use some caulk to finish it off.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #366 of 2103 Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

RT,

Nice work on the doors - looking good.
Tell us more about the carpet, (I am now at that point of needing to decide and to order)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #367 of 2103 Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

No need to hide, you have the bestest, most absolute greatest basement build in the entire UNIVERSE. And your wife is pretty, and talented, too.

There. You owe me.

Big time.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #368 of 2103 Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Jzc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

ATTENTION ATTENTION WOOP WOOP WOOP DANGER DANGER

I got a call from the Mrs. today and she wanted to know all about AVS Forum so she could show her coworkers the basement.

We all know what happens when the Mrs. start to lurk around here and then heaven forbid start to post!

Quickly covering my tracks and editing all the posts I spoke ill of her,(Just kidding Dear!) and trying to make myself look smarter than I really am.

Now all of you behave yourselves, there is a LADY present now. Possibly.

Regards,

RTROSE

*chuckles* Bring her on!!! Just make sure she got a account of her own so that we can tell who's who!!!

Besides.... we got more than a few ladies on here.
post #369 of 2103 Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

No need to hide, you have the bestest, most absolute greatest basement build in the entire UNIVERSE. And your wife is pretty, and talented, too.

There. You owe me.

Big time.

logan,

i already "owed" you. Had I not been under your spell these many months it is hard telling where I would be. I guess I "owe" you two now. THANKS MAN!

You Da bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzc View Post

*chuckles* Bring her on!!! Just make sure she got a account of her own so that we can tell who's who!!!

Besides.... we got more than a few ladies on here.

Oh, if she was serious about getting on here and heckling me I would for sure want her to be on her own account. That way if she got out of line the mods would ban her and leave me alone!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #370 of 2103 Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

RT,

Nice work on the doors - looking good.
Tell us more about the carpet, (I am now at that point of needing to decide and to order)

Thanks for the compliment. I am very happy how nice the doors turned out.

The wife and I really went around and around agonizing over paint colors and finally decided. I was really dreading the carpet because typically we have little problems with paint and lots of issues carpet selection. In this case it seems we have done just the opposite.

Here are the two front runners next to the blue wall.

Here they are next to the brown wall.

It is hard to tell from the photos but they are two different types of "nap" the one on the left is a little tighter and the one on the right is slightly "shaggier" one is polyester and the other is nylon. Can't remember which is which at this point. I was told one wears better and the other cleans better. Right now the one on the right has the nod as in person it blends the best when you consider both colors, but the lighter of the two actually in my eyes looks the best with the blue walls but gets lost next to the dark wall. Plus the darker carpet will hide more dirt as my wife has pointed out. Of course this could all change if we walk into another carpet store and see something that catches our eye.

Now on to getting the stairs finished.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #371 of 2103 Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

RT,

IMO:
Both are good choices (and likely a hard decision)

The one on the left appears to have a bit of blue accent that goes very well with the blue walls. However; the one on the right would be my first choice for the theater area (darker)?

Have fun with this selection process - we will probably be in this mode ourselves next week

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #372 of 2103 Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

RT,

IMO:
Both are good choices (and likely a hard decision)

The one on the left appears to have a bit of blue accent that goes very well with the blue walls. However; the one on the right would be my first choice for the theater area (darker)?

Have fun with this selection process - we will probably be in this mode ourselves next week

Yup I'm right there with you on both accounts and as I stated before, things could change the moment we walk into another carpet store.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #373 of 2103 Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The next item of business up for completion is the stairs.

Here is a of pic of the stairs as they are now. This is the shorter side the other side is finished just like this one only longer. Oh and in the bottom of the photo you can see the baseboard trim and the crappy joint in the corner. Luckily it is white trim and I can caulk it. This joint is the worst one in the kids area the rest look pretty good.

Here is what I was thinking about doing. Something along these lines.

I tried to get a pic of the routed edge and this is the best I could do.

My only issue at this point is do I leave the board wider than the wall so it over hangs slightly or cut down so it is the same width as the wall and then use some type of trim piece to finish off the edge. I'll try to get a picture of what I'm talking about.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #374 of 2103 Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 PM

I'd leave it wider. Are you planning a newel post and balusters on the other side? If so maybe do both sides to even it out. You could always bring the base molding up and around too. Some examples of ones I've done- all are wider then the wall.

If at first you do succeed- try to hide your astonishment.

My Concrete Counter Build!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1151574
post #375 of 2103 Old 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

For a theater I'd go the darker color. Both will look nice though.

Carpet was the fastest decision for me of them all. I think we had it picked out in about 30 seconds. No fretting, because as long as the color is neutral (which both of your options are), you'll forget entirely about the color a day or so after it's in.

post #376 of 2103 Old 08-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Liked: 17
I would also choose the darker color carpet, though both look good. The wider trim on the stairs, with some trim on the sides, like the examples posted would probably look nice.

The doors look great! I've never been any good at staining, and it always impresses me.

Greg
post #377 of 2103 Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe that we have decided to go with the darker carpet. Now we are just doing some additional shopping around to find the right price. It is amazing how much the price of carpet varies by store.

I was able to spend a few hours in basement yesterday. I got the stair side of the kitchen/basement door trimmed out and I think I have decided how I'm going to finish up the stairs. I have decided to rip the board to just slightly wider than the unfinished size and go the simple route without a lot of extra trim. The wife and I actually bought several trim pieces and nothing really struck us. If all else fails and I don't like it after I get it done I can always add some molding. Next up on the to do list the "Feline Facility Entrance" construction.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #378 of 2103 Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeguy View Post

I would also choose the darker color carpet, though both look good. The wider trim on the stairs, with some trim on the sides, like the examples posted would probably look nice.

The doors look great! I've never been any good at staining, and it always impresses me.

Greg

Yup staining to me looks really nice, especially on some of the builds here that have a lot of stained wood work such as Indygregs and Cathan's both of those guys put my staining abilities (and wood working too) to shame. I will have to agree with you though that my doors did turn out pretty nice, I am pleased. Now that I'm done with the majority of my staining my comfort level is much higher which figures now that I'm basically done.

I spent a couple of more hours in the basement tonight. Finished getting the other oak board cut to size and routed to finish off the other part of the stairs. Now I just need to sand and stain both of the boards and they will be ready to go in. I also cleaned up and vacuumed the kids area and took the opportunity to button down the floor a couple of places where I missed some joints and where I had drilled holes but forgot to put the nail in.

The Mrs. called me at work today and informed me she had ordered the carpet. We did in fact go with the darker shade, the one on the right side of the carpet photos. According to the carpet store the 40 sq. yards we ordered could be in as early as Thursday or as late as a week from today. If the carpet comes in on Thursday I could have carpet as early as Friday! We were able to get the carpet plus the best pad they had for under $19 a sq. yard total. This was much better than the first place we went were just the carpet was over $19 sq. yard not including the pad. If my calculations are correct I should have over 40 sq yards of carpet and pad installed on the stairs, hallway and kids room for just over 1K which is just about what I had budgeted and is the only thing so far that has come near what I have estimated anything for this build to cost. Yeah me, small victory.

My bank account has been hemorrhaging since my decision to go with the spray foam (don't regret it, just way over budget on that little adventure) which cost three times my insulation budget. At some point I will have to put a tourniquet on the ole' bank account and allow it recover some.

Tomorrow I will attempt to tackle the "Feline facilities entrance".

Regards,

RTROSE

post #379 of 2103 Old 08-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

The Mrs. called me at work today and informed me she had ordered the carpet. We did in fact go with the darker shade...

Something about "the Mrs called me at work today and informed me SHE had ordered the carpet" doesn't seem to go along with "WE did in fact go with the darker shade".

What sounds more plausible is "My wife made the decision on the carpet today and called to remind me that while I'm at work enjoying my only free time away from her, she still controls everything."

:-D

Congrats on ordering the carpet and hopefully the install can go smoothly and quickly!
post #380 of 2103 Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

RT,

Sounds like you have stepped up the pace considerably. Seems you have just pushed another boulder to the top - as your carpet is on the way. Good for you!!

You need to share with us; those progress photos of your stairs.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #381 of 2103 Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How did you decide on the type of carpet?

I went carpet shopping for the first time last week and was quite overwhelmed at the styles/types and the prices.

Being in GA doesn't help too much as there are carpet stores everywhere.

Also, what was their best pad? 8 lbs? I saw one that was coated on both sides but quite expensive ($3.75/sq foot) which is a tad nuts for padding.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #382 of 2103 Old 08-25-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Ditto on that. I could order at anytime but am afraid to start looking again. I had one picked out but over the months I have had other thoughts.

hmmmmmmmmmm I dread this decision.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #383 of 2103 Old 08-25-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Ditto on that. I could order at anytime but am afraid to start looking again. I had one picked out but over the months I have had other thoughts.

+2 I'm loosing the battle with this decision myself.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #384 of 2103 Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

I went carpet shopping for the first time last week and was quite overwhelmed at the styles/types and the prices.

Being in GA doesn't help too much as there are carpet stores everywhere.

Also, what was their best pad? 8 lbs? I saw one that was coated on both sides but quite expensive ($3.75/sq foot) which is a tad nuts for padding.

I am a firm believer that the better the pad the longer the carpet will last and the better it will wear. Since the wife actually ordered the carpet I'm not sure what the weight rating was, but it was the best pad they had that was not crazy expensive or coated etc. I'm not sure what the actual cost of the pad was per sq. ft. but I do think it was less than 3 buck per sq. ft. I have seen pad that is sealed in plastic sheet for pet owners to keep the "accidents" from seeping into the pad and that stuff is pretty expensive too. I always wondered though if it is sealed what does putting hundreds of staples in it to secure it to the subfloor do to the so called "waterproofing"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

+2 I'm loosing the battle with this decision myself.

I feel all of your pain as I was absolutely dreading this part of the finishing work. I guess the best way to shop for carpet is by first figuring out what you don't want. That eliminated a lot of the carpet for us. We then looked at wearability and cleanablilty (since we have two boys these two factors were pretty important) which narrowed it down further. We also wanted a comfy feel to the carpet since we all spend lots of "family time" on the floor so that continued to narrow it down further still. As we narrowed down our wants, or I guess don't wants the selection the sales lady presented became smaller and smaller. After all of that our selection went from about a dozen to about three. We then brought those three samples home with all of the prospective colors and made our selection from those. Color actually was easier than selecting cut and pile of the carpet, but then I guess it makes sense because we had to match the wall color that was already up.

Just glad it is over and that if the stars align just right I could have carpet in by this weekend.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #385 of 2103 Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand all of the fussing about carpet. I think it took me all of 1 minute to just make the decision. You just need to understand your price point and get something middle of the road in a style you like. While they may offer a thousand different shades of tan, brown, etc, just pick one and don't look back. As long as you go with neutralish colors, you will never look back at your final decision with regret. I mean, who has ever a year after buying carpet said " boy, I wish we got mocha cream instead of caramel splash." Deciding on carpet just doesn't need this degree of contemplation. Now your projector choice on the other hand...

post #386 of 2103 Old 08-26-2009, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It's easy to pick something neutral that won't "mess things up". It gets a little trickier if you want the carpet to be a "statement". That's where the expertise of interior designers come in to play. Some error on not enough "statement" and some on too much. Everything in the room doesn't need (and shouldn't) to provide visual impact. Finding the right balance is what makes it or breaks it. Now that I think of it, that is a good arguement for keeping the carpet neutral. The flair of a design should (usually) come from elements that are easiest to change.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #387 of 2103 Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

I don't understand all of the fussing about carpet. I think it took me all of 1 minute to just make the decision.

... and it shows.... j/k

Ya, I am making too big a deal about this.

Quote:

The flair of a design should (usually) come from elements that are easiest to change.

That very last line is what I have been stewing on. I was planning a carpet with a design in it but over the last several weeks I have been backing off that and thinking about keeping it neutral and let the other things in the room make the impact....

hmmmmmmm

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #388 of 2103 Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

It's easy to pick something neutral that won't "mess things up". It gets a little trickier if you want the carpet to be a "statement". That's where the expertise of interior designers come in to play. Some error on not enough "statement" and some on too much. Everything in the room doesn't need (and shouldn't) to provide visual impact. Finding the right balance is what makes it or breaks it. Now that I think of it, that is a good arguement for keeping the carpet neutral. The flair of a design should (usually) come from elements that are easiest to change.

Aw JEEZ, would yous stop with the goirly decorating talk already?! Carpets making statements?! Sheez!

Let me tell you something, wise guy, boys what play with decorating grow up to be a little light in the heels, if you catch my grift. Some even start watching them commie movies.

I'm going keep a close eye on you, don't think I'm not!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #389 of 2103 Old 08-26-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Here, here, Archie! Finally a voice of reason and vanity around here!

You mark my woids, we let dem start yakin' about decoratin' and such and da next ting ya know they'll be droin' on about fabrics and such.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #390 of 2103 Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Here, here, Archie! Finally a voice of reason and vanity around here!

You mark my woids, we let dem start yakin' about decoratin' and such and da next ting ya know they'll be droin' on about fabrics and such.

Well I leave all my fabric decisions to Cathan. He seems to have pretty good taste when it comes to fabric and coordinating colors just take a look at his build and you'll see what I mean. I'll steer clear of the fabric choosing bidness. I have enough issues choosing paint and carpet without adding anything else to the mix.

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page