The RTROSE (take my sweet time) HT Construction Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2103 Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The only good kind of liquid in a HT is that of the drinkable alcoholic kind.

Good to see progress being made!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2103 Old 01-31-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well we are still waiting, did not expect much to happen over the weekend. We are (as far as I know) completely dry. Tomorrow the HVAC company should be in to see what the extent of the damage is to the flex duct. Part of the flex duct runs through my sprayfoam so I am not sure exactly how that will work, but we will know more tomorrow.

My buddy came today and we made more progress with the stairs. They are actually now coming together and looking like stairs. The posts are in and hand rails mounted. We have the spindles left yet to do and we found out today we are short. Apparently the old stairs did not meet code with the spacing between the spindles and that is what we used to gauge how many we needed. Hummm....I wonder how that happened? The new stairs will meet code by gerorge.

My family is really ready for things to get back to normal and to top it off I'm gone on work related business for three days this coming week so my wife will have to handle the construction side of things (she is not happy 'bout that) but I know she will do just fine. Timing, go figure.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #543 of 2103 Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good luck and keep us up to date.........
post #544 of 2103 Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Keep your chin up and the dehumidifiers running.

Anyone (which unfortunately includes me in a past property) that has had issues with water knows how devastating it can be. Glad to see you are still able to make other progress while the water issues dry themself out.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #545 of 2103 Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Ok so the question is how to find a silver lining in this? Do you need to run any cables in the areas they've torn out drywall? Need a new cable outlet in the kitchen?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #546 of 2103 Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I'm back from my business trip and there has been some progress with getting the house back in order. The flooring in the laundry area has been replaced and the new flooring installed. The HVAC guys were in and replaced the flex ducting. Apparently from what I can tell the spray foam was not an issue. They did not replace the flex duct in the unfinished area so I will have to call to find out what happened there.

I have taken the opportunity to replace the tub/shower in the master during this "remodel" and the plumber was in yesterday and did the tear out and replace so that is coming along as well. Once the HVAC is taken care of then the drywallers will come in and then the painters and finally the floor guys.

Things are SLOWLY coming back together.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #547 of 2103 Old 02-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Man, I guess I can add my flood story too. I was in Dallas for business three weeks ago and my wife forgot she was filling up a sink in the upstairs bathroom. Fortunatley the only destruction was my beard trimmer (covered in 4" of water standing in my vanity drawer) and the kitchen ceiling. The ceiling wasn't bad though, just some scraping and drywall compound to repair the hole my wife created so the water could drain out of the ceiling.

Ok, so maybe I shouldn't have shared my story since it was so minor......

"Disaster the mother of rennovation!" At least you were able to do a few upgrades.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #548 of 2103 Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how minor water/flood issues are a royal pain. It is nice to know others are sharing/ or have shared my pain (although I would not wish for anyone to go through water/flooding issues) it helps to know your not alone.

I found out that next week the HVAC guys will be in to finish their work, the guys will be back to continue their work (basement subfloor, drywall, painting) and then after that the laminate flooring. That is the tentative schedule for now, but as with any project it is all subject to schedule and possible changes.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #549 of 2103 Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Damn, this absolutely sucks! I wish you a speedy recovery!
post #550 of 2103 Old 02-07-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well done Saints, Well done!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #551 of 2103 Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Some times though the HT gods are watching out for you. RTROSE hope you get things back together quickly

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=622

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #552 of 2103 Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks to all for your thoughts and words of encouragement! I have needed them these past days.

We (or I should say the contractors and subs) are making progress with the water damage recovery. The laundry is back in working order (were all of this all began) and most of the drywall is up mudded and for the most part finished. This coming week the flooring guys, and the painters will be in and hopefully by the end of next week everything will be back to the way it was before the water problem. A couple of snafus though, I discovered that the drywallers did not replace (or did not get the message to replace) the insulation in the walls of the basement after it had been removed to dry. So the brand new drywall will be coming down to replace the insulation. DOH! Through my insurance policy no one gets any money until the entire job is complete and I sign off on the work and were happy. So I have no concern that the issue will not be rectified. There was also some minor damage (scratches and a gouge or two) to our cabinets that can be easily fixed, but none the less makes the wife a little perturbed. this will also be address as well. The only thing that seemingly will take the most time to come in is our counter top, but we knew that going in so that is not a big issue.

In other progress my main stairs are done! Finished those up late Saturday afternoon. Whoo Hoo! This has been a major undertaking and a major goal reached meaning I now can be back to the theater and making that my main focus again, as far as projects go.

The wife and I also decided to make a preemptive move and replace our master bath tub and surround due to some prior issues repaired at the time we moved into our home six and a half years ago that was reaching the expected life of the repair. I (due to all the other things going on) had this hired out. The actual tub removal/replacement took one day, the tile work took three and 1/4th days, or about three weeks and four days faster than what I could have done! Nice to have another potential plumbing issue resolved and a new fresh look to the master bath.

Slowly getting back to normal (what ever that is) and hopefully back to reporting what this thread is actually about which is THEATER construction. I'll post some pics later of the stairs and tile work.

Regards,

RTROSE

Just realized this post is my 2000th post. Cool.....

post #553 of 2103 Old 02-15-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I purchased a new toy today.

Not as high powered or useful as a true snowblower, but very effective at removing snow and making easier and less work getting to the the ice and compacted snow on the driveway. Got the little bugger for about 70 bucks and came right home and put it to work. Well worth the money for what it does. This little critter really throws the snow pretty well. Actual product link here.

Fun Stuff!!!!!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #554 of 2103 Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm getting one of those TOMORROW! Thanks for sharing.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #555 of 2103 Old 03-04-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Well I purchased a new toy today.

Not as high powered or useful as a true snowblower, but very effective at removing snow and making easier and less work getting to the the ice and compacted snow on the driveway. Got the little bugger for about 70 bucks and came right home and put it to work. Well worth the money for what it does. This little critter really throws the snow pretty well. Actual product link here.

Fun Stuff!!!!!

Regards,

RTROSE

FINALLY got around to finish reading your entire thread this morning, (um no not at work... what do you mean?) Great info throughout.

Chris
post #556 of 2103 Old 03-07-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haas_chrs View Post

FINALLY got around to finish reading your entire thread this morning, (um no not at work... what do you mean?) Great info throughout.

Hey great a new fan!!!! Thanks for reading the thread. As you know there are many threads here full of info, I'm just happy I'm one of them or at least you found some interesting things in mine.

A quick update for the saga of the flood. Our trim was installed on Thursday, new counter top was installed and carpets cleaned on Friday and now the only thing left to do is have the HVAC guys back in and do a furnace cleaning and once that is done it all should be finished and the RTROSE house hold should be back to normal. What ever normal is......been so long I'm not sure what normal is, but I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #557 of 2103 Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well for those of you who have been following along, you know I have had a stair project going on in the middle of my HT build, (oh and the middle of the water fiasco too) and with the help of a good buddy of mine (who just so happens to be a contractor) gotten that little project finished. I have been threatening pictures of the stairs for some time well without further ado......

The main stairs of my home.

Pictures don't do it justice, but very happy with the end result. Glad to have this project done as it whipped my hind end parts from the get go. I think so far this has been the most challenging DIY project to date.

You just got the GOOD........stay tuned for the BAD and THE UGLY! The water saga continues.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #558 of 2103 Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW!!! That railing looks awesome. Congrats on that.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #559 of 2103 Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice. I have been putting my stair project off... and off... and off... I'll get to it eventually.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #560 of 2103 Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Very nice. I have been putting my stair project off... and off... and off... I'll get to it eventually.

I know what you mean, brother I'm with ya. The stairs were ok before the project not bad, but not great either. The stairs really bothered my wife and it was something she has been wanting to do for a long time, basically since we moved in. However my wife sometimes underestimates how intensive a project can be and this was one of them. So glad it is in the rear view mirror.

Boy what a motivational speech I have given you. Ok, this was the easiest and most rewarding project I have been involved with in quite a while. Get to work you slacker, there is nothing to fear........Just give it two shakes and it will be done. Was that better?????

Regards,

RTROSE

post #561 of 2103 Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok,

Well since the 25th of January the basement (and the garage) had become a makeshift work area for the all the guys doing work here at the house and a major catch all area for just about everything. With all of the comings and goings different work crews and our own projects the "Theater" area was anything but that. I'm ashamed and appalled that I let this go down hill so fast but with everything going on it just sort of happened.

RTROSE's dirty laundry......please try not to be TOO judgmental....

Those of you with a keen eye will notice, for others look at the OSB between the two sets of saw horses.......well this is where it gets UGLY.....stay tuned

Thanks for your support and understanding. I promise I'll do better. Shucks if Hanes can keep his build clean I can too.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #562 of 2103 Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

looking great

though if i was going to do a basement reno, I would of likely gone for a staircase at either end of the of the room with load support where possible, to maximise flooring space..
post #563 of 2103 Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

looking great

though if i was going to do a basement reno, I would of likely gone for a staircase at either end of the of the room with load support where possible, to maximise flooring space..

Say what?

How would adding a second staircase maximize flooring space?!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #564 of 2103 Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
RT,

The stair railings turned out GREAT!!

So I see one room that is currently a makeshift shop (or tool storage) >> I'm thinking the magic is about to begin; to turn this into a theater...?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #565 of 2103 Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

looking great

Well I am usually looking at way to maximize my space and the stairway is smack dab in the middle, but with constraints of DIY know how, budget, and disrupting the family life to make structural changes I chose to work with the existing floor plan. I did toy with many options, just never followed through with them. Had I decided to make major structural changes to the basement, I can guarantee I would not be this far along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Say what?

How would adding a second staircase maximize flooring space?!

I think he was talking about moving the stairs, not having two SETS of stairs. If he is talking about having two sets then I agree with you that it does not make sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

RT,

The stair railings turned out GREAT!!

So I see one room that is currently a makeshift shop (or tool storage) >> I'm thinking the magic is about to begin; to turn this into a theater...?

Thanks, I'm really happy with the stairs. Lots of blood, sweat, and tears (oh and a divorce) went into that little piece of the house. Really glad it turned out so well and even more happy that it is done.

The theater room you see in the photos is a result of my lack of progress not because of it sadly. This room became a disaster after the water issue because it was the room where everyone (including me) went to work on various projects during the repairs. In the next post I will detail "THE UGLY" part of what was found during my clean up. So it goes.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #566 of 2103 Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

yes hanesian I meant move the stairs not add in a 2nd stair case in, though if space permitted I have no qualms in recommending having 2 stair cases in the basement at either end of the room, though that would more for fire safety than anything else..

I have never been a fan of basements with 1 entry or exit..
post #567 of 2103 Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The wife and I were on the final leg of the water repair journey. We had been contacted by our construction coordinator about a "final walk through" to double check all the work. There were a couple of small things to deal with and then one major thing. I had talked with him and voiced some concerns regarding some of the issues and told him that there might be an issue in the basement. I also explained I was in the process of cleaning the room and would tell him what I found during the cleanup.

Look at the OSB between the saw horses. The edge of the OSB is sprung up. I thought that maybe just maybe there was something under the edge casing it to spring up.

Well there was something under the OSB. This is what I found. The following images speak for themselves.

After all of the drying and work there was (apparently) some water still under the platon that had made its way up through the seams and the tape. When the initial tear out was done they pulled back until they found dry concrete. Obviously they did not pull back enough. I have been assured that this issue will be addressed and resolved. Now it looks as though they will take up all of the flooring now and not just until they find dry areas. The one thing I am thankful for is the fact I found it out now and not three or four months down the road when I had carpet down or had secured the subfloor.

Now I'm waiting again to get started working in the basement. The one good thing is I will start with a clean uncluttered space.

The saga continues..............Stay tuned sports fans!!!!!..........

Regards,

RTROSE

post #568 of 2103 Old 03-14-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh man, that sucks big time! Really sorry to hear it, RT, especially when you thought the light at the end of the tunnel was in sight ... and it turned out to be the proverbial train coming at you! Ouch. As you say, better to find it now than later, but still a big bummer.

On the bright side if you keep moving backward with your project and tearing out stuff long enough Logan and I might eventually catch up with you!

Hang in there, my friend! This too shall pass.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #569 of 2103 Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

I smell a gut in your near future, cracked pipe under the floor or in the wall i wouldn't be surprised that the concrete will need jack hammer to put vapour barrier under the floor and vapuor barrier on the walls behind the gyprock..

whether you do anything about it that's up to you though i also suspect a bit outside digging to happen within 3-4 foot of the home to check the weeping tile, scoping your drains out will also need doing to make sure you got no cracked piping or root damage..

black matting coming up i think u need to source where de water is coming from, i wouldn't be waiting 4 month's for that if i were you.. last thing you want or need is a stinking basement.. due to fowl water..

i think you'll need to removing your sub floor you got water somewhere there my friend it cheaper to do it now than it is later having to moldy sub floor to replace at a later stage..
post #570 of 2103 Old 03-14-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I smell a gut in your near future, cracked pipe under the floor or in the wall i wouldn't be surprised that the concrete will need jack hammer to put vapour barrier under the floor and vapuor barrier on the walls behind the gyprock..

whether you do anything about it that's up to you though i also suspect a bit outside digging to happen within 3-4 foot of the home to check the weeping tile, scoping your drains out will also need doing to make sure you got no cracked piping or root damage..

black matting coming up i think u need to source where de water is coming from, i wouldn't be waiting 4 month's for that if i were you.. last thing you want or need is a stinking basement.. due to fowl water..

i think you'll need to removing your sub floor you got water somewhere there my friend it cheaper to do it now than it is later having to moldy sub floor to replace at a later stage..

Perhaps if you'd read more than a couple of posts in the thread before you jump in with offering unsolicited advice you would have realized that RT knows exactly what caused this problem, and it had nothing to do with weeping tile, drains, or any of the other things you mention.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1010bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page