Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Huh that's weird. The commercials make it seem like all of the ladies won't be able to get enough of you.

Hai Karate, anyone?

IF you want any more advice on dealing with car dealers, I'm listening. I once sold a convertible in a snow storm.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
^^^^^ with the top down, uphill both ways! I hear ya Tom.

I actually do pretty well, but the real wheeler dealer is Mrs. RTROSE. She is very shrewd when it comes to this stuff and has no problem getting up from the table and walking right out if it is going nowhere. Man I love that woman!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1623 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

has no problem getting up from the table and walking right out if it is going nowhere.

That, right there, is one of the main keys to negotiating with car dealers. They DO NOT want you to leave the store. Don't indicate that you LOVE the car is the second. As long they think you can take it or leave it, you have a lot more power. And thirdly, whoever talks first, loses. After they write up all over the sheet and put it in front you, they will (or SHOULD, if they've been taught right) sit back and shut up. Then whoever talks first, loses. So wait the sales person out. Make HIM (or HER) speak first.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, those speakers look huge! Have you really tried them out yet?

Tom Logan

post #1624 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

^^^^^ with the top down, uphill both ways! I hear ya Tom.

I actually do pretty well, but the real wheeler dealer is Mrs. RTROSE. She is very shrewd when it comes to this stuff and has no problem getting up from the table and walking right out if it is going nowhere. Man I love that woman!

Regards,

RTROSE

Car salesman are all scum bags. I like her technique. Tell them what you will pay, they don't like it, see ya...It is really strange that once you are leaving they magically find new incentives and discounts.

Did you happen to look into Subaru and the Legacy? One nice thing with them is their VIP discount program. Sign up for the Mountain bike club of america for like $30. Stay a member for 6 months and qualify for the discount. Then there is no negotiating needed as it is essentially a set price. Just like GM and Ford X plan stuff, except this is for anyone essentially. Might be worth it if you guys like the car.
post #1625 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
We once got a very good deal by taking along our three year old and giving her a large Hershey bar to munch on while we negotiated. Trust me, the salesman did not want us staying in his office too long, so he quickly cut to the chase.
post #1626 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

To date I think we have looked at/test driven the following..........Fusion, Passat, Sonata, 200, Charger, Avenger, Accord, Charger, Malibu, Impala, Cruze, Taurus, Altima, and Camry. The front runners now are the Fusion, Altima, and the Camry. Fun stuff!

Ford will release a new/updated Fusion later this year. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
If she likes the current model, there might be some deals to be had.

Has she considered the Kia Optima? I have never driven one but everytime I park next to one I think it's a good looking sedan. Shares a bunch of mechanicals with the Hyundai Sonata, I believe.

Another Camry/Accord/Fusion competitor would be the Buick Regal. It has gotten pretty good press but, again, I have no first-hand experience with it.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #1627 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

That, right there, is one of the main keys to negotiating with car dealers. They DO NOT want you to leave the store. Don't indicate that you LOVE the car is the second. As long they think you can take it or leave it, you have a lot more power. And thirdly, whoever talks first, loses. After they write up all over the sheet and put it in front you, they will (or SHOULD, if they've been taught right) sit back and shut up. Then whoever talks first, loses. So wait the sales person out. Make HIM (or HER) speak first.

That's pretty much my move. Don't say a word. If that doesn't get 'em after a few minutes then I pull out my next move: I'm pretty good at the Unimpressed Stare + Vulcan Eyebrow look in the sales office. Works great!

edit: see?!

post #1628 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Wow! That is impressive. I nearly offered to pay YOU to take my car after that!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1629 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now if I could only get you to get the salesman in the "Vulcan Grip" so I can escape with the car it would be perfect.

I think that we are about to the end of our car shopping journey, the two front runners are now the Altima, and the Fusion. It basically boils down to who will come to the table with the best deal. True to her word Mrs. RTROSE told the Ford dealer that they were going to have to look at their numbers again if they wanted to earn her business and we left. Just before leaving the sales manager told us they would look at the numbers again and see if they could do better for us. It was right at closing time with a couple of other stragglers around so we will see what they come up with.

In the end I'll be happy if Mrs. RTROSE is happy.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #1630 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Feel free to print that out and take it in if you think it will help.
post #1631 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now in HT related news. I got my center channel speaker stand built, sanded, primed, and painted with a couple of coats of textured paint. Now on to the clear flat sealer right? Well not exactly. I sprayed the clear sealant on the stand come back about 20 mins later and find that the "clear" sealant had actually dried with a white dusty look to it. So I then proceed to spay another coat this time applying a slightly heavier coat thinking that it was just not applied heavy enough the first time. Nope, that was not the issue, now I have a thicker layer of white dusty "sealer" on my nice stand. So then I go and get a damp rag and wipe all of the sealer I can off. Now that the sealer is wiped off I have just enough textured paint to give a light coat to the stand. It is drying as we speak so I won't know if it works out or not probably till morning.

I also had the time to make a proof of concept acoustic panel. I did not measure correctly for the width so I just used some "chunked" 703 that I acquired to see what I was shooting for.

Not quite 2 x 4 but close enough for me to get an idea. The frame is 1 x 3 x 4 pine stock banged together with some brad nails. I then went to JoAnne's fabric to get some speaker cloth and took my 14 year old with me. That was fun dragging a 14 yr old boy into JoAnne's he moaned about it the whole time. Too funny!

When I first asked for the cloth I asked for "acoustically transparent" cloth that was not sheer. The sales lady responded "I'm not quite sure what that means" so I told her that sound can go through but you don't see through. Oh she said you want "speaker cloth". Yeah, that is what I want. Sheesh should have just asked for that I guess.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1632 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I then went to JoAnne's fabric to get some speaker cloth and took my 14 year old with me. That was fun dragging a 14 yr old boy into JoAnne's he moaned about it the whole time. Too funny!

Nothing wrong with going into JoAnne's if it's theater related. I think that you should have picked up some paisley fabric and wrapped the new center channel stand in it. That would solve the paint issue anyway.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion on the panels since I'm starting to think about doing some in my room.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #1633 of 2103 Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Nothing wrong with going into JoAnne's if it's theater related. I think that you should have picked up some paisley fabric and wrapped the new center channel stand in it. That would solve the paint issue anyway.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion on the panels since I'm starting to think about doing some in my room.

Most definitely would have looked "lovely" and tied the rest of the room together for sure.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how the panels work as well. I need to get the riser built (goal is to do that this week) and get everything into position so I have an accurate impression of what the panels are doing.

@ Tom,

Yes, I have had an opportunity to actually run some theater material and music with all eight speakers engaged (Star Trek nod there) at some serious listening levels. They do extremely well as surrounds and are way overkill for that use, but they sound fantastic. I knew they would though as that is what is in the pub area and I have had the opportunity to listen to them for quite a while. I still have yet to do the YAPO, (Yamaha's auto calibration program) so I'm sure there is improvement to be had for sure. The rear surrounds are a little weak, but I'm guessing that will change when I do the calibration.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1634 of 2103 Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear (pardon the pun!) that you were able to check them out. For me, there's always that moment of doubt....will it work the way I expected or not?...until you actually get to fire it up.

I was a little lucky in that when I wired up my small system before drywall to make sure all the wiring was good before close in, I noticed that I liked having the surrounds (Axiom QS8s) behind the seats just a tad instead of directly in line with them. So I moved the wire back one stud bay and let them close it in. There was that doubt that it would be different once everything else went in, but I am really glad I moved them.

I think once you calibrate you'll be fine.

Tom Logan

post #1635 of 2103 Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm with ya Tom. It had been so long since I tested and installed all the wiring that I figured SOMETHING would have gone wrong or bad in the 3+ years but having thought the worst I was very pleasantly surprised that it all worked. There was a big sigh of relief at that moment.

Here is the end result of my speaker stand build. I think I was able to salvage it.

I'll have to let it dry completely before taking it down to the theater, but I think it turned out just fine.

Regards.

RTROSE

post #1636 of 2103 Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Now in HT related news. I got my center channel speaker stand built, sanded, primed, and painted with a couple of coats of textured paint. Now on to the clear flat sealer right? Well not exactly. I sprayed the clear sealant on the stand come back about 20 mins later and find that the "clear" sealant had actually dried with a white dusty look to it. So I then proceed to spay another coat this time applying a slightly heavier coat thinking that it was just not applied heavy enough the first time. Nope, that was not the issue, now I have a thicker layer of white dusty "sealer" on my nice stand. So then I go and get a damp rag and wipe all of the sealer I can off. Now that the sealer is wiped off I have just enough textured paint to give a light coat to the stand. It is drying as we speak so I won't know if it works out or not probably till morning.

RTROSE

If you're spraying a waterbased topcoat over paint, it can turn cloudy if the paint is not completely, totally, thoroughly dry. What's happening is that the paint is losing moisture which is being trapped by the topcoat.

Looks like the stand came out terrific, anyway, though!

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #1637 of 2103 Old 03-20-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

If you're spraying a waterbased topcoat over paint, it can turn cloudy if the paint is not completely, totally, thoroughly dry. What's happening is that the paint is losing moisture which is being trapped by the topcoat.

Looks like the stand came out terrific, anyway, though!

Thanks,

Yup as far as I know the paint was completely dry (had about 18 hrs + to dry) in abnormally warm March weather I might add. Followed all the directions on both cans and still had issues. I saved it, and that is all that matters so I'm good.

I think had it been a smooth surface and not textured the results would have been different. Now that the textured surface is completely dry the finish is very durable and the sealer is not necessary anyway. Paint and learn I guess.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1638 of 2103 Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:

Here is the end result of my speaker stand build. I think I was able to salvage it.

I'll have to let it dry completely before taking it down to the theater, but I think it turned out just fine.

Regards.

RTROSE

RT,
This stand turned out GREAT - nice contemporary look!! No worries about losing the paisley statement. Especially if you promise to wear paisley bell bottoms when we all visit for your grand opening

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1639 of 2103 Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

RT,
This stand turned out GREAT - nice contemporary look!! No worries about losing the paisley statement. Especially if you promise to wear paisley bell bottoms when we all visit for your grand opening

Yeah, RT, great stand. It came out looking fine despite the finishing problems.

Now about that grand opening...
post #1640 of 2103 Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Wait there's a grand opening?????????????? Where is the invite?????????????????

On a side note I was "close" to you this past weekend.......(I think anyway)as we were down in Huntington for basketball semi-state tourney.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #1641 of 2103 Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The stand looks really nice. I guess it is a good replacement for the paisley.......

Careful. It looks like you will have quite the grand opening party on your hands.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #1642 of 2103 Old 03-21-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
With the classic glacial builds from RTROSE and LOGAN nearing completion, how am I ever going to be able to rationalize my own lack of progress?
post #1643 of 2103 Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

With the classic glacial builds from RTROSE and LOGAN nearing completion, how am I ever going to be able to rationalize my own lack of progress?

Easy, compare your build to mine and together we can strive to achieve little to nothing

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #1644 of 2103 Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Stand looks great RT! I guess you could do a black on black paisley pattern if you really miss the old one

post #1645 of 2103 Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Easy, compare your build to mine and together we can strive to achieve little to nothing

How can you claim to have done little to nothing when you are BUILDING your SECOND theater and I have not COMPLETED my FIRST theater. I would say that your pace of construction is slightly faster than mine.

Oh, and if you were where I think you were (Southwest of Ft. Wayne) then yes you were closer to me than you are now, but still about 3.5 hrs away as I'm about a hours travel south of Indy. Almost in the "neighborhood" I guess.

Here is the speaker stand in it's "proper element". Looks good me thinks. Hey after getting some guff from Mrs RTROSE about the "fit and finish" of my stand after it was all said and done she actually liked the look of it in the theater. I guess getting her compliment is the "ultimate" seal of approval.

Well without going into details and family drama, my week off for Spring Break has not gone as planned at all, in fact it has been a train wreck. Things seem to be turning around so I'm hoping in the next couple of days I can get back to the thought of riser construction. Not holding my breath though as that technique seems not to be working for me here lately.

Sorry I looked for a paisley textured paint, but Lowes was all out.

Craig, I guess I'll just have to resort to bell bottoms after all.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1646 of 2103 Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
The finished speaker stand looks great. Is that center speaker pointed slightly upwards towards the listener's ears?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1647 of 2103 Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Well. Once the misses approves, you're golden! It does look even better with that center channel on it!

Sorry to hear Spring Break was a disasterpiece. Hopefully things will improve, and you can get back to work. We can only talk about paisley paint for so long, you know

post #1648 of 2103 Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
RT,

Everything is coming along quite nicely! I know what you mean about not being able to get things done. It is always happening to me too. Looking forward to your riser build.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #1649 of 2103 Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok,

Here is a picture for Hanes. I know how he loves wood piles.

That "pile" will eventually turn into a riser me hopes.

Oh and another piece of electronic goodies showed up today. I have been lurking on that "auction site" and my patience paid off with this little gem.

That's right sports fans. A Toshiba HD-A35 HDDVD player. I like to work my theater "Old School" now to find that just right VHS player.

Now the big question is when I will get a chance to turn that wood pile into a riser.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1650 of 2103 Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

That stand turned out really nice. I have to start thinking about a stand for my center. THIS is a good place to start!

Nice job!

Tom Logan

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1010bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page