Old 03-23-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

That stand turned out really nice. I have to start thinking about a stand for my center. THIS is a good place to start!

Nice job!

Thanks. Not too hard to build actually. I could not find a stand that was able to meet my needs so that lent me to build my own. I would have painted all the parts then assembled it vs. assembling the stand and then painting it. That would have been the only thing I would have done differently.

Oh and don't use a clear sealant on textured paint as it will turn dusty looking.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wood pile and an HD-DVD Player?! Quite an update! I'm planning for. Laserdisc player, myself. :-)
Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Well you posted this ^ picture for Hanes who LOVES wood piles but failed to mention that it was also for me since you know how much I LOVE a clean work space. Would you look at how clean that garage is...............

On a side note don't I vaguely remember you using that garage floor paint a year or so ago? What's your opinion of it to this day and how easy was it to do? Been considering it and now is the time if I am going to do it as my garage is almost the cleanest it has ever been.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL yeah, I know how you love a clean space, however right now it appears clean but it is not as clean as it is usually as I have a lot of my construction tools taking up residence there.

As for the floor, I really like it. It is showing some signs of wear under the cars rear tires, but overall I'm very pleased. It is not hard to do, just time consuming and the kicker is the prep. Just follow all the steps for the prep and everything else is pretty straight forward.

I would do it again, I guess that is the best endorsement I can give.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

Ok,

Here is a picture for Hanes. I know how he loves wood piles.

That "pile" will eventually turn into a riser me hopes.

Oh and another piece of electronic goodies showed up today. I have been lurking on that "auction site" and my patience paid off with this little gem.

That's right sports fans. A Toshiba HD-A35 HDDVD player. I like to work my theater "Old School" now to find that just right VHS player.

Now the big question is when I will get a chance to turn that wood pile into a riser.

Regards,

RTROSE

I hear ya on old school RT I was just thinking today how much stuff I would like to have if my rack were a bit bigger...

Maybe I'll have to build a second rack, or the nes, dreamcast, and other electronic goodies I don't have room for..... Yes JD a laserdisc would be pimp! make sure you get some of the original Jurassic Park versions I hear they were very powerful to the point of popping subs and such.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
what sort of wear by the rear tires? My wife is pushing to do this this summer.

The old owner painted the floor and with just paint and it is all peeling so it looks awful...need to take it up and put this down, but not if it is going to just peel back up.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

what sort of wear by the rear tires? My wife is pushing to do this this summer.

The old owner painted the floor and with just paint and it is all peeling so it looks awful...need to take it up and put this down, but not if it is going to just peel back up.

I did mine too. The wear is call hot tire pick up. The issue is the tires will pull the epoxy from the floor if its not bonded well enough. The way to address it is in how well the acid "treats" the concrete to allow the epoxy to bond. The pro guys have stronger acid and diamond saw buffer things to rough up the surface.

Mine is four years old. There are one or two spots (definitely driver side front where my wife parks, I think another), but on the whole it looks good. Make sure you add some sand or some grit (they sell) to the mix to up the traction. Can be slippery when wet.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^Exactly. Mine is right were the rear tires sit. I have rubber "pads" under the front tires to prevent the wear. If you can park consistently in the same place each time you would just need four pads could be just about anything, old carpet, vinyl, or those rubber work mats, for the tires to sit on and it would alleviate the problem. My issue is that Mrs. RTROSE has a hard time parking EXACTLY in the same place each time and she feels the need to crank the wheel before she starts moving creating additional friction of the surface.

I have no doubt that where most people get into problems is they don't do the prep properly as it is kind of a PITA, but very necessary to get a good result. Both I and Mrs. RTROSE took great pains to do the prep properly to get a good result.

I guess the best endorsement I can give is I would do it again. The sand is a good idea, I did not use it and we have had no issues of the floor being slick, but I could see how it could become a problem.

The other suggestion I would give is to go ahead and buy a couple of extra containers of flecks/flakes. That way if you go heavy on the application early on, you won't have to skimp on them at the end and make the floor look uneven. We did not plan a head and ran out which caused us to have to purchase another kit for a small area to look "right". I worked out just fine, but cost us an extra kit that we really did not need if we would have just had extra flakes.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
RT: you can hang a tennis ball from the ceiling so that when Mrs. RT pulls in she stops the car when the ball touches her windshield. We used this method with small garages and large cars in our family. Also, you can screw a 2x4 to the floor to stop the car in the same place every time.

You probably have heard those before, but thought I'd chime in.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tennis ball - Check. It is not the depth that is inconsistent (Tennis ball helps that) it is the "lateral adjustment" that is the challenge. I guess the way to solve that is to make a "slip" like you would for a boat and line it with bumpers so she would be in the same location each time. Hmmmmmm........Now that I think of it that is an EXCELLENT idea.

I have tried a couple of "off the shelf" products to help with the parking issue, but the low tech and cheap tennis ball has been the most effective.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The garage I work at (at a gas station) has a car wash with two rails that taper together to guide you into the center of the wash bay. They are not very easy to use, IMO. Somehow, it's hard to tell which one you're bumping up against (left or right). They also are bolted to the floor in a way you probably wouldn't want to duplicate at home.

What, surprisingly, works better, in my experience, is to back up. With a little practice, you can back up confidently. The geometry of steering works out so that changing the direction of the car is much more responsive when the steering wheels are following the locked wheels. If you adjust your mirrors properly, it can be done. In fact, I back into my garage every day, without incident. The first, and only, time I nicked the doorway I was trying to go in forward! Doh! Of course, the layout of the driveway outside the garage may make backing in impractical for other reasons. Disclaimer: I worked as a valet parking attendant for three years in college, so backing up is second nature to me at this point.

Fred
Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Um, no on the backing up. I have no issues with backing and learned to back a full sized van into a smaller garage from before I even had my drivers license no issues for me. However I am not trying to berate Mrs. RTROSE's skills or abilities, but I don't think backing into the garage is a good idea.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am with you. I'd do it again. I think the acid in the kits is a bit less than the pros. I was pretty rigorous in my prep and even added a poly eurethene on top. But still had a spot or two where it didn't adhere. Makes cleaning up pretty easy.

A co-worker pushed the sand/grit on me. He says he had problems. As a leg amputee its real easy for me to slip and fall (no nerves is an issue at times), so I headed the advice.

Good point on the flakes. I bought a bunch planning to return. Not sure if I used them all.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Um, no on the backing up. I have no issues with backing and learned to back a full sized van into a smaller garage from before I even had my drivers license no issues for me. However I am not trying to berate Mrs. RTROSE's skills or abilities, but I don't think backing into the garage is a good idea.

Regards,

RTROSE

Have her try and back up a 30 foot travel trailer. You learn to do it well pretty quick that way.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Regards,

RTROSE

For this very reason I have considered having the reverse REMOVED from my wife's vehicle all together. She can NOT back up to save her life.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

For this very reason I have considered having the reverse REMOVED from my wife's vehicle all together. She can NOT back up to save her life.

LOL! I have said many a time, backing the vehicle into the driveway would have saved Tiger's career! He could have gotten the heck out of there without incident when his Wife was swinging the 4 iron!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

A co-worker pushed the sand/grit on me. He says he had problems. As a leg amputee its real easy for me to slip and fall (no nerves is an issue at times), so I headed the advice.

Good point on the flakes. I bought a bunch planning to return. Not sure if I used them all.

Excellent point. My dad is a double leg amputee due to diabetes so the fall potential is huge and sure footing is a must in each of your cases.

I do think it gives your garage just that little extra wow factor and very true on the cleanup factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Have her try and back up a 30 foot travel trailer. You learn to do it well pretty quick that way.

Well first I have to find one, then I have to convince the owner to let a complete noob back up a rig that probably cost 50-70k.

She had trouble with our little 12ft popup.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Lookin good RT!! Stalking and stealing ideas continuously! haha.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

LOL! I have said many a time, backing the vehicle into the driveway would have saved Tiger's career! He could have gotten the heck out of there without incident when his Wife was swinging the 4 iron!

Wow,

Never looked at his situation that way, but you are absolutely correct. What a difference that would have made.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok,

Riser construction!

Now I had to do all of my construction and test assembly in the garage so here is where I am at at this point.

From the start if you remember. Wood pile. Oh, those of you with eagle eyes you can look for/spot the high tech parking device AKA the tennis ball.

2 x 10 construction with two layers of 23/32nds (3/4ths) OSB. The dimensions of the riser 6.5 feet deep and 11.5 feet wide, and 11 inches tall. One inch overhang all around except for the side that butts up against the wall. I was going to build a step, but after many "step tests" by the family, I was dissuaded from building one. All involved stated that building a step was completely unnecessary. Soooooo.......who am I to go out of my way to complicate things? No step.

Now it all fits together and looks good. Now to disassemble and lug it all downstairs to reassemble it,

White not pink fluffy stuff. R30 unfaced in the cavities two rolls worth

So this is where I am at this point, I am just lucky with everything that has gone on this week I have gotten this far. I do have one issue that will need to be addressed, the outlets are too low now that I have put a riser in. I will need to move them up several inches to have them "look right". I guess that is why you follow the 6 P's (Prior planning prevents p&^% poor performance). I guess if I had known from the start that I was absolutely going to go with a riser I would have thought about it, but I guess it is the little detail things that escapes us sometimes. Hopefully in the next day or two I can get some time to finish it up as putting on the OSB should be pretty straight forward as it has all been measured and cut. I just plain ole ran out of steam (or at least I did not have enough steam in reserve to complete the job tonight). What I have posted here took me the better part of two days to get done. Just that much "other stuff" going on.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looking good!

I just love pics of stacks of wood in the garage!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice fuzzy ball RT!

Riser looks good too. I wish I had your motivation.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks sweet!!!

Keep up the good work and try not to scratch too much. I hear it digs the fibers in even more.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
RT,

Looking good!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Looking good, RT. I wouldn't mess with those outlets. They clear the riser. They will be visually blocked by the seating. Finally, if you raise them, they won't look right if you decided to remove the riser if and when it is time to sell the place.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Yeah, I'm wondering what the problem is. I put all my outlets at the same height and just built my stage and left them at that height. Maybe because you really can't see them it's different, but I'd leave them alone.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Id rewire them down and through wall, and into the riser. Put some surface receptacles where the seats are going for the transformers on the recliners or other electrical devices' connections.....

Cant remember if you got power recline though....
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I agree leave the outlets alone so long as they clear the riser decking and carpet. If they don't clear that material, I would only move them enough to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Id rewire them down and through wall, and into the riser. Put some surface receptacles where the seats are going for the transformers on the recliners or other electrical devices' connections.....

Cant remember if you got power recline though....

Because the riser is technically removable and not bolted down I would only do a Power Bridge type outlet setup for the riser if you decide you need it.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ah,

I guess I should have been "clearer" in my post. I don't need to move the outlets just so they "look right" wrong choice of wording. When I put the second layer of decking down it will cover the outlet and make it difficult of impossible to use, plus could end up being safety hazard as well.

Now trust me, if there was anything I could do to make is so I did not have to move the outlet I would. Hey I could cut away the second layer of OSB at those two spots and go from there. What do you guys think about that? I'll have to take a look at that and see if that is doable.

Hmmmm.........That would be a lot less work than actually moving outlets and what not, and would solve the issue if I ever had to move the riser. More to think about.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Ah. Then in that case, I would (as suggested) run a line form the outlet down inside the wall and poke a hole near the floor and run them to the riser. Then cover the existing outlet with a cover plate (no hidden junctions!) in case you ever want to remove the riser and reuse them as outlets. Then you just pull out the wire and patch the hole near the floor.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver