post #1681 of 2103 Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

...if there was anything I could do to make is so I did not have to move the outlet I would. Hey I could cut away the second layer of OSB at those two spots and go from there. What do you guys think about that?

What would that do to the floor covering on the riser - are you doing more carpet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2103 Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I say you marette the wires (if desired), fill the box with drywall compound and forget they ever existed. Thats what Mike Holmes would do.
post #1683 of 2103 Old 03-26-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I was able to get the first layer screwed down and the first piece of the second layer down to see where I was at fit wise with the outlet. Rather than rewiring, moving outlets, or doing a power bridge type of solution I have opted for the simplest of solutions. I have decided just to notch the second layer of OSB to fit around the outlets. This should not be too difficult for the carpet guys to surmount and still allows access to both outlets and maintains the original height should I ever remove the riser. I don't have pics at the moment, but I'll snap a few tomorrow and show all you all what the plan is. It's funny though as big as the riser looked to me in the garage, the riser doesn't look as big in the theater. I thought it would look much bigger in the smaller space. However it looks much taller than it did in the garage as the ceiling is much lower.

Fun stuff. Now I get to go on the search for some riser carpet. Yea carpet shopping again!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1684 of 2103 Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Fun stuff. Now I get to go on the search for some riser carpet. Yea carpet shopping again!

Well you are the certified carpet counselor. Are you going to do something different on the riser than what is on the rest of the floor?

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #1685 of 2103 Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Well you are the certified carpet counselor. Are you going to do something different on the riser than what is on the rest of the floor?

Right now that is the plan, I had picked out some "Home Theater Carpet" like this sample.

It is pretty expensive, but I have a pretty small area but that is a double edged sword as there is a minimum amount my carpet supplier can order so I might have to piggy back on someone else's or vica versa. Now I know that this particular carpet is not in "high demand" so I could be waiting for awhile so I might go for a plan B or C or D. However I don't know what those plans are as of yet.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #1686 of 2103 Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
RT I am in a similar boat since now I am forced to build a second riser for my rear row of seats and my theater is already carpeted. The minimum I believe is 5 yards and I only need like 2 but unfortunately that doesn't match my existing carpet much....!!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #1687 of 2103 Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hey Rt,

Looks like these guys will sell 5linear feet at full roll width of the carpet you wanted.....

http://www.av-outlet.com/

Nicholas
post #1688 of 2103 Old 03-27-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Check with Ken at Stargate Cinema, too. He sells by the linear foot also. I got mine in about 10 days and I wouldn't think there is a particularly high demand for the carpet I got, either.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #1689 of 2103 Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

.........However I am not trying to berate Mrs. RTROSE's skills or abilities, but I don't think backing into the garage is a good idea.......

My wife can back a trailer (when she wants to), but she will still occasionally subscribe to the, "Stop when you feel something" method of backing up her car.

I sure hope she doesn't find this post

Everyone else has beat me to the punch with regard to your riser and ideas for the receptacles. Looking good! Keep up the good work, you're almost there. Then it'll be time for HT 2.0.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1690 of 2103 Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
So, you are making progress on your riser. That's great. Really.

But when do we get to see a picture of your new 'toy' (or should I say 'Mrs Rose's new toy')?

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #1691 of 2103 Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

So, you are making progress on your riser. That's great. Really.

But when do we get to see a picture of your new 'toy' (or should I say 'Mrs Rose's new toy')?

Funny you should post at this particular juncture. Mrs. RTROSE and I are the proud owners of a Nissan Altima. Just this evening matter of fact. We went with the 2.5L to get the best mpg we could. I figured with the 3.5L, which still gets pretty good mpg, the extra oomph would just be too tempting for Mrs. RTROSE's heavy right foot, mpg would suffer unnecessarily and the potential for her to meet our local public servants driving one of these would be just too great.

We traded in our 2008 GMC Acadia that has served us well for the past 19 months. The Acadia is a great vehicle and I really liked driving it, but it was Mrs. RTROSE's daily driver and the 18 to 19 mpg average was starting to dig into my HT budget.

Our car shopping odyssey is finally over and at the end of the day SHE is happy so I'm happy.

It was dark when we got home from the dealer so no pics yet but I'll get a couple up of our new "baby".

Now aren't you glad you asked?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1692 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We traded in our 2008 GMC Acadia that has served us well for the past 19 months. The Acadia is a great vehicle and I really liked driving it, but it was Mrs. RTROSE's daily driver and the 18 to 19 mpg average was starting to dig into my HT budget.

Regards,

RTROSE

Amen to this. My wife drives a Ford Explorer 30 miles each way to work and and 16-18mpg (if were lucky)it is truly killing us, especially since gas here just hit $4.15/gallon yesterday

post #1693 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Amen to this. My wife drives a Ford Explorer 30 miles each way to work and and 16-18mpg (if were lucky)it is truly killing us, especially since gas here just hit $4.15/gallon yesterday

Here as well. I have a 1990 BMW 535i that has been parked in the garage for three years. Wonderful car to drive, lots of fun. But 17 MPG of premium is a killer.
post #1694 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

18 to 19 mpg average

I would Kill for that in my Explorer. Amazingly enough, I get that in my Jag S-type 4.0. The faster you drive it, the better the mileage. I've gotten high 20s on US95 on trips to NJ.

Tom Logan

post #1695 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 194
There's always a trade-off... I get 38-40mpg (on diesel) in my VW Golf, but I can't put any building supplies in it. I'm always borrowing my sister's truck!
post #1696 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
My Durango is absolutely horrendous when it comes to gas. I can't get rid of it though because I need to haul all of the supplies for the home theater. Luckily my drive to school everyday is pretty short so I don't have to use too much.

Congratulations on the new Altima! I hope that you got a good deal.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #1697 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I would Kill for that in my Explorer. Amazingly enough, I get that in my Jag S-type 4.0. The faster you drive it, the better the mileage. I've gotten high 20s on US95 on trips to NJ.

I am probably estimating on the high end, its probably more like 14-16mpg. I've got a Dodge Nitro and it's a tad better getting around 20/city.

post #1698 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Congrats on the new car!
post #1699 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Now aren't you glad you asked?

Yep, and it it looks like a lot of other people were glad too!

Quote:

It was dark when we got home from the dealer so no pics yet but I'll get a couple up of our new "baby".

Alright, I'll cut you some slack this time. But remember, pictures or it didn't happen!

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #1700 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Yep, and it it looks like a lot of other people were glad too!

Alright, I'll cut you some slack this time. But remember, pictures or it didn't happen!

Oh, I'm clear on the pics or it didn't happen. I've called out many of an AVSer on the same thing. I'll get a couple of pics of the new baby....promise.

Now on to some other pics of progress.

Riser is done. Whoo Hoo!

I just decided to notch the OSB around the outlets instead of doing anything too awful fancy. The carpet should just be able to tucked down into the cutout. The chairs are going to hide it anyway so I should be good to go.

Once I get the carpet choice nailed down the next thing I'll start tinkering with is some acoustic treatments. Yeah!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1701 of 2103 Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM

looking good there RT!!! Congrats on the new car as well.
post #1702 of 2103 Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks good buddy. How much larger is your top than the base?

post #1703 of 2103 Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

That outlet looks like it should work. Having helped out installing my carpet, it might be tough to staple the carpet to the cutout directly in front of it. The sides should be no problem.

As my buddy said about laying carpet, "We cover s#$% up!"

Tom Logan

post #1704 of 2103 Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Have you checked to see if the wire feeding the receptacle is coming from the bottom or the top? If it's from the top, it wouldn't be much trouble to move it up a few inches. You could even cover the existing hole int he wall with some wide baseboard on top of your riser. No drywall repair required!

With that said, I'll deny having made this next suggestion if anyone ever asks. But since you're already planning to cover part of it with carpet, have you considered just covering the whole thing? Again, maybe with a wide baseboard or something?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1705 of 2103 Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

looking good there RT!!! Congrats on the new car as well.

Thanks! Will all the money Mrs. RTROSE is saving in gas I should be able to buy a few more blu rays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Looks good buddy. How much larger is your top than the base?

I started to leave 1 1/2 lip on the three sides (wall side is flush) but that overhang looked excessive (especially since I was not doing a step or rope lighting) so I went with 1" as the overhang. That amount looked "Right" to me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

That outlet looks like it should work. Having helped out installing my carpet, it might be tough to staple the carpet to the cutout directly in front of it. The sides should be no problem.

As my buddy said about laying carpet, "We cover s#$% up!"

Ha, yup that is what my cabinet guy said about skrim or scribe (what he calls the thin piece of material on the back of cabinets that covers the gap between the wall and the cabinet. Also paint, trim and caulk cover a multitude of sins! I think a little glue will be all that is needed on the backside of the cutout and worse case is that is is a flap that is just "tucked in". The chairs will hide it and there will not be any "traffic" in that spot so it should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Have you checked to see if the wire feeding the receptacle is coming from the bottom or the top? If it's from the top, it wouldn't be much trouble to move it up a few inches. You could even cover the existing hole int he wall with some wide baseboard on top of your riser. No drywall repair required!

With that said, I'll deny having made this next suggestion if anyone ever asks. But since you're already planning to cover part of it with carpet, have you considered just covering the whole thing? Again, maybe with a wide baseboard or something?

I know which way the wires go (up) because I wired them! . With my simple easy fix I won't need to do anything, but thanks for the baseboard idea, I'll tuck that away for future use. Also weighing in on my decision is the underlying spray foam that I would have to remove/damage to do much moving and replacing of the outlet. I would if it were completely necessary, but I think my solution will work just fine. I guess we'll all find out together now won't we.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1706 of 2103 Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 AM

Congrats on the Altima and welcome to the club. Proud owner of a 2005 2.5SL here. This is my first foreign car purchase and have truly enjoyed the almost 7 years that I've had it. I felt the same way on the 2.5 versus 3.5 back in 2005. The 2.5 has plenty of pep. I've got close to 85000 miles on mine and other than regular oil changes I've only had to put new tires on it and that wasn't until 64000 miles. Still on the original brakes and they hardly feel like they've been used.

The only downside that I can think of is, at least on mine, the front clearance. When it comes to a snow more than about 4-5 inches it's gonna get stuck.

Dream it - Design it - DO IT

Theatre 1.0 Built - Enjoyed - Sold
Theatre 2.0 Somewhere between Dreaming and Designing

My Theatre Build - Eagle Hills Uniplex-Design/Build
post #1707 of 2103 Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw73 View Post

Congrats on the Altima and welcome to the club. Proud owner of a 2005 2.5SL here. This is my first foreign car purchase and have truly enjoyed the almost 7 years that I've had it. I felt the same way on the 2.5 versus 3.5 back in 2005. The 2.5 has plenty of pep. I've got close to 85000 miles on mine and other than regular oil changes I've only had to put new tires on it and that wasn't until 64000 miles. Still on the original brakes and they hardly feel like they've been used.

The only downside that I can think of is, at least on mine, the front clearance. When it comes to a snow more than about 4-5 inches it's gonna get stuck.

Thanks. It is great to hear that you have had such good luck with your Altima. Yup I could see how is is not the car to tackle heavy snow, but should prove reliable in most other weather conditions. Mrs. RTROSE has always had a soft spot for Altima's since test driving a new 2003 SE-R way back when. So this has been a long time in the making. They have kept pretty close to the "family look" since about 2002-03 till now with some refreshes thrown in for good measure, but I have always thought the Altima was a good looking car.

So here are a couple of pics as promised of our new "baby".

It is a 2.5L SL in Navy Blue with black leather interior. I think it has pretty much every option you can get (I think). The thing that strikes me the most is the CVT (continually variable transmission). The CVT does not have those hard "shift points" built in like a normal transmission. It is just glass smooth from a standstill to your cruising speed. Very slick indeed. It is very quick for a four banger as well. We test drove both the four and six cylinder and while I could tell a difference between the two, Mrs. RTROSE was just as happy with the four. As stated before she is happy with the car so I'm happy with the car.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1708 of 2103 Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Consider yourself lucky. My wife says she will only drive a 6 cylinder ...
post #1709 of 2103 Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Beautiful! How's the new car smell working out?
post #1710 of 2103 Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

...The thing that strikes me the most is the CVT (continually variable transmission). The CVT does not have those hard "shift points" built in like a normal transmission...

You should try driving my Chevy Volt, if you like continuously variable power. Greatest car I ever owned!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page