Sconce Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering what people are using their sconces for in the theater room and their placement of the sconces for their intended use.

I am planning on using my sconces for ambient lighting during a movie so I do not burn my eyeballs out in a super dark room. Right now I am not quite sure on where to place the sconces for best effect and least intrusion during a movie.

My room is only 12' wide and 19' long. I will have two rows of seating, one close to the rear wall and the other about 8' off the rear wall. I tested the lighting effect of the sconces by using a small table lamp where I intend to place them. I feel like the best was to have the sconces lit up behind the viewers eyes. Unfortunately for me, this means moutning and lighting sconces only on the back wall. For aesthetic purposes, I would prefer to have some sconces on the side walls.

For all of the current and previous builders, I would like to get your input on the placement, use, reasoning, and observations of your sconces.

PeaPod7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 AM

I am also interested in this. My room is the exact same size as yours. I had planned on putting the sconces split down the side walls (none in the rear). I have can lights in a light tray going around the perimeter (10 cans, 3 on each side, 2 in the rear & front, all evenly spaced).

I had not thought of the sconces being distracting during the movie, and would like to hear other opinions on the matter...

Guinness is good for you!
Rob

My HT build thread
post #3 of 11 Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Why not just split the sconces onto two separate dimmers, or better yet, two zones on a Lutron Grafik Eye?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just finished the wiring phase of my room and put in runs for 6 sconces - 3 on each side of the room. The front two scones (closest to the scren) are on a separate circuit in the Grafik Eye so that I can have a little ambient light in the back rows of the theater if I want without having the lights close to the screen on.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-20-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

So Kevin, is that how you actually use the sconce lighting when watching a movie, i.e. with the rears providing ambient light and the fronts off?
Have you tried with the fronts slightly on? Does it intrude into the corner of your eyes at all?

PeaPod7
post #6 of 11 Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaPod7 View Post

So Kevin, is that how you actually use the sconce lighting when watching a movie, i.e. with the rears providing ambient light and the fronts off?
Have you tried with the fronts slightly on? Does it intrude into the corner of your eyes at all?

Well, as I mentioned, I just finished the wiring phase. So I have no drywall, no sconces, and of course no seating, screen, or projector!

I'll let you know in a few months (knock on wood) how I end up using the sconces during a movie.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My room is 12.5' X 20'

The picture below shows where 2 of my sconces are (the other two are mirror images of the ones shown - so 2 on the back wall, 2 on the sides).

All 4 are on the same switch which is on a dimmer. I don't use them very often - when watching a movie with my 4 year old and 2 year old (so it's never pitch black), when eating something I want to see (ice cream), etc.

I'd say I use them about 10% of the time. I also have some can lights in the ceiling that are on another dimmer, that I never use (other than fully on before a movie).

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #8 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaPod7 View Post

I'm about ready to either install or not sconces in my theater.
I can tell you I had 3 trak lights shining down on the seating area in my previous setup) with the tracks piointing to the backwall. You can't have any light shining on the screen, or the blacks will goto gray on you and washout the PQ.
This is why I'm debating sconces at all.
They do have a Theater look to them, and maybe the smallest dim possible would have a cool ambience...at least that's what the the wife is thinking.

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #9 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
We just put up our sconces. For a few reasons, the line of three on the non-door wall ended up getting moved a few feet away from the screen toward the middle/back of the room. At first I was irked, but now seeing it I think it will work great because we'll be able to dim them or keep 'em on and still watch the movie without too much glare on the screen.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My sconces are between the Screen and seating but don't use them at all during movies. Only ever have rope light on at 50% and a bar light at 10% in the rear.

Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #11 of 11 Old 06-21-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have three sconces in my theater and even on full they are fairly dim. when dimmed down they are just enough for ambiance and a bit of extra light if you need to leave the room. They are not distracting at all, even though they have stained glass bulbs of many colors in them. I also have those plug in theater lights on stair and at exit near the floor.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page