HD MM's HT in 1 month for under 5k Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 187 Old 08-27-2007, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A little hiccup during the D* installation over the weekend. I found out the 50' of component cable that I buried behind the molding doesn't work!

My other HD cable run of HDMI is dedicated to the P3S/BD player and works flawlessly. The component on the other hand was supposed to be for the HD Receiver (H-20). I can't figure out for the life of me why it doesn't work. As a test I tried to connect a seperate DVD player to the buried component cables and it also failed to work. I then connected a separate set of component cables and ran it from my projector to a DVD player and it worked fine. So in the end, I know the problem isn't with the projector and the problem is indeed with the component cable.

Fortunately for me though I spent a few extra dollars to get the next step up receiver that has 2 HDMI Inputs, so to solve my issue for the time being, I am passing the HDMI through my receiver and then into both the PS3 and HD receiver. I hope this doesn't compromise any quality than if I was to have a direct connection instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 187 Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just wanted to provide an update on my experience now that the theater is about a month old. The wife and I've been getting plenty of use out of it and have been completely blown away by the performance of the entire setup. Before we had the HT, the wife and I typically reserved our film watching to a weekend only affair if we were lucky. That has changed tremendously now. We've seen over 23 blu-rays by now and have joined Blockbuster Online to help feed our addiction to our constant need for more HDM's! Friends and family that have seen the setup have been equally impressed. HD sports are enjoyable on the 92" screen, but I think I've been spoiled by blu-ray as I am now able to pick up any imperfections in an average HD DBS broadcast.

Although I am completely content with my setup for now, a friend of mine has recently gotten me intrigued about a possible future upgrade. He just upgraded his sound setup. (New speakers and Dolby TrueHD capable receiver). My receiver has HDMI inputs, but is only able to pass video not sound (my sound is passed through via digital toslink cable). From my understanding you would need an HDMI input that will pass both sound and video in order to decode lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD. Although, I have not personally been able to compare the difference between Dolby TrueHD and DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1, I wonder if it is even worth exploring yet? To any that have had the opportunity to compare, is the upgrade to lossless audio dramatic?
post #93 of 187 Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD MM View Post

Just wanted to provide an update on my experience now that the theater is about a month old. The wife and I've been getting plenty of use out of it and have been completely blown away by the performance of the entire setup. Before we had the HT, the wife and I typically reserved our film watching to a weekend only affair if we were lucky. That has changed tremendously now. We've seen over 23 blu-rays by now and have joined Blockbuster Online to help feed our addiction to our constant need for more HDM's! Friends and family that have seen the setup have been equally impressed. HD sports are enjoyable on the 92" screen, but I think I've been spoiled by blu-ray as I am now able to pick up any imperfections in an average HD DBS broadcast.

Although I am completely content with my setup for now, a friend of mine has recently gotten me intrigued about a possible future upgrade. He just upgraded his sound setup. (New speakers and Dolby TrueHD capable receiver). My receiver has HDMI inputs, but is only able to pass video not sound (my sound is passed through via digital toslink cable). From my understanding you would need an HDMI input that will pass both sound and video in order to decode lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD. Although, I have not personally been able to compare the difference between Dolby TrueHD and DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1, I wonder if it is even worth exploring yet? To any that have had the opportunity to compare, is the upgrade to lossless audio dramatic?

I'm no expert in this area nor do I even have an HD/Bluray player, but here is my understanding of how to achieve the new HD audio formats:

Option 1: Have both HD/Bluray player and AVR unit HDMI 1.3 compliant

Option 2: Have AVR unit handle audio over HDMI (HDMI 1.3 not needed) *IF* your HD/Bluray processes the audio

Option 3: If your HD/Bluray has analog rca output (5.1 minimum) and your AVR has Multi Channel Analog rca input (5.1 minimum). Obviously your HD/Bluray player processes the audio being analog outs.

Options 1 & 2 are not available to you with your setup. I'm hoping option 3 will work for you.

Good luck!
post #94 of 187 Old 10-24-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

I'm no expert in this area nor do I even have an HD/Bluray player, but here is my understanding of how to achieve the new HD audio formats:

Option 1: Have both HD/Bluray player and AVR unit HDMI 1.3 compliant

Option 2: Have AVR unit handle audio over HDMI (HDMI 1.3 not needed) *IF* your HD/Bluray processes the audio

Option 3: If your HD/Bluray has analog rca output (5.1 minimum) and your AVR has Multi Channel Analog rca input (5.1 minimum). Obviously your HD/Bluray player processes the audio being analog outs.

Options 1 & 2 are not available to you with your setup. I'm hoping option 3 will work for you.

Good luck!

My receiver (HK AVR 146) has the 5.1 Multi Channel Analog inputs, however my PS3 does not have that connection. And if I was ever to go neutral, the cheapest HD-DVD Player that has 5.1 Multi Chanel Analog outputs is the HD-XA2. Guess I will have to settle for DD and DTS for a while until I upgrade my receiver.

I do however hear that you can pass DD+ from an HD-DVD Player through a digital audio connection (ie. toslink) to achieve 640kb/s- 1509kb/s. And supposedly DD+ uses better encoding and more efficient compression than DTS to provide improved quality at the same rate. And since DD+ is the base standard audio format for HD DVD, I may have to ask for a Toshiba HD-A3 for Christmas!
post #95 of 187 Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My receiver (HK AVR 146) has the 5.1 Multi Channel Analog inputs, however my PS3 does not have that connection. And if I was ever to go neutral, the cheapest HD-DVD Player that has 5.1 Multi Chanel Analog outputs is the HD-XA2. Guess I will have to settle for DD and DTS for a while until I upgrade my receiver.

I do however hear that you can pass DD+ from an HD-DVD Player through a digital audio connection (ie. toslink) to achieve 640kb/s- 1509kb/s. And supposedly DD+ uses better encoding and more efficient compression than DTS to provide improved quality at the same rate. And since DD+ is the base standard audio format for HD DVD, I may have to ask for a Toshiba HD-A3 for Christmas!

Yeah, that sounds like your best bet.
post #96 of 187 Old 10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice setup. Personally, I would have just bought some regular couches and spent more on the equipment, but that is just me.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #97 of 187 Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Comfort while enjoying the movie is the number one priority. The seats look great and are comfortable.

Spending more on equipment when what you already have does an amazing job is a waste of money. Too many experts out there who do not seem to understand just what your premise was when you started the project.

Enjoy the room.

www.Franks-Home-Theatre.piczo.com
post #98 of 187 Old 10-24-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That is a great looking room. All you need is artwork to complete the look. And with a throw of 10' or so, this clearly fits into the small-theater concept which I really like.

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #99 of 187 Old 10-24-2007, 11:09 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The A35 is less expensive than the XA2 and has analog out. Analog done correctly can be almost as good as the next best thing which is the HDMI. The XA2 can do better up-conversion of DVD's than the A35 but over a HDMI connection only.
post #100 of 187 Old 10-25-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo View Post

The A35 is less expensive than the XA2 and has analog out. Analog done correctly can be almost as good as the next best thing which is the HDMI. The XA2 can do better up-conversion of DVD's than the A35 but over a HDMI connection only.

Thanks SteveMo. What exactly is the difference in sound quality using Multi Channel analog ins/outs compared to HDMI on HD source dvd's? Too bright?
Too thin? Missing something? Less presence?

Many of us do not have the HDMI 1.3 spec AVR's to send raw HD bitstreams for AVR decoding.
post #101 of 187 Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks SteveMo. What exactly is the difference in sound quality using Multi Channel analog ins/outs compared to HDMI on HD source dvd's? Too bright?
Too thin? Missing something? Less presence?

Many of us do not have the HDMI 1.3 spec AVR's to send raw HD bitstreams for AVR decoding.

With the analog RCA interconnects there is the better possibility of the signal receiving interference. HDMI while also copper is more robust and durable. Analog RCA cables do not however lack any bandwidth. Good cables with proper shielding can do a nice job. The more shielding and the better properties the cable has the longer it will last and the better it will do at rejecting noise. Be careful of overpriced ones allot of the industry (not all) relies on sales hype to sell cables for more than they are worth. I test my cables by hooking up my sub with it, holding the other end over my black-light, and checking my SPL meter. There should be a hum when I do that. Whichever cable has less hum is doing the better job. I also pay attention to the pitch of the hum. It should be the low 60hz hum.
post #102 of 187 Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM

Also...I don't have HDMI audio or video yet.
post #103 of 187 Old 10-25-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo View Post

With the analog RCA interconnects there is the better possibility of the signal receiving interference. HDMI while also copper is more robust and durable. Analog RCA cables do not however lack any bandwidth. Good cables with proper shielding can do a nice job. The more shielding and the better properties the cable has the longer it will last and the better it will do at rejecting noise. Be careful of overpriced ones allot of the industry (not all) relies on sales hype to sell cables for more than they are worth. I test my cables by hooking up my sub with it, holding the other end over my black-light, and checking my SPL meter. There should be a hum when I do that. Whichever cable has less hum is doing the better job. I also pay attention to the pitch of the hum. It should be the low 60hz hum.

SteveMo: I have NO IDEA what you are saying regarding black lights & spl meters, but it sure sounds cool.
post #104 of 187 Old 10-25-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:

SteveMo: I have NO IDEA what you are saying regarding black lights & spl meters, but it sure sounds cool.

Just listening for noise caused by disturbance from electrical noise. It travels like a signal in the air. A radio can hear it too. Ultraviolet lights are known for lots of that stuff. Easy way for me to check the cable. Thanks.

Edit: HDMI cable Considerations
post #105 of 187 Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update:

I recently added the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player to my setup by taking advantage of the fire-sale pricing as of recent.

Besides an AVR upgrade (next-gen HD audio capable) and decor additions in the future, I can't see any major upgrades to the setup for a great while. I am perfectly ecstatic with the HT and have been enjoying HD Movies on a regular basis.

I plan on posting a few photos this weekend to show the updated equipment once I get my hands on a tripod.

Also, the on/off switch on the inexpensive paper floor lamps from Target died on me recently. I think it was for the best anyways since this now cleans up the room a bit. Besides, floor lamps don't belong in the HT. I have my eye on these sconces from Crate & Barrel. After the holidays, I plan on purchasing a few of them and placing strategically around the room.
post #106 of 187 Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 AM

I really like what you've done here....the room looks GREAT!!!! I'm very jealous of your seats! I keep trying to talk my wife into something like that but I keep getting shot down...go figure (guess she has a point since our basement was unfinished and I had to finish the whole thing). I also need to build a bar for mine, but you always have "something" to do!

Anyway, very nice job!!
post #107 of 187 Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A few screen shots of the Epson 400 using my shoot and point digital camera with a tripod.....

post #108 of 187 Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A few new additions to the HT include the HD-A2 and the D* H20....

post #109 of 187 Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A thoughtfully placed theater decor' piece does the job of hiding the cables going into the projector.

Before........

After........

post #110 of 187 Old 11-12-2007, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can't say enough good things about the Berks. These seats are just so comfy. The storage armrests and cup holders eliminate the need for any end tables.

A view from the end seat.....

And finally, I think this picture shows the entire room relatively well. Notice the recently added curtains to keep dreaded light out of the theater.

post #111 of 187 Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just wanted to merge these two pictures next to each other to show the transformation.

Before....

After.....

post #112 of 187 Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great room, I just love it. Everyone has different budgets and thoughts of what their home theater should be like to best suit their family. You did a great job!

Rinker Family Cinema Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=Rinker
post #113 of 187 Old 11-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Very nice! I appreciate your issue about how to set-up the room, as I am trying to sort out which direction to orient mine. As a matter of fact, I think that I will start a thread. It is hard to search for narrow/wide/orientation and such. Unfortunately, I cannot think of better ways to search.

The bias is towards running a room long and narrow, but I'm not sure that is always optimal. I have a good bit more space (~16' x 22') but the room layout was originally planned to run wide.

Your paint is nice. I need to rethink the beige walls we have. Actually, once I get my new Pan AE2000 running, we'll have a better idea. Also like the chairs...but we probably can't do them with older cats who still have back claws, though!
post #114 of 187 Old 11-19-2007, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

SatelliteGuy and MTBDOC, thanks for the compliments.

I've found that the overwhelming orientation of preference is to go narrow instead of wide and I had trouble finding many examples of the opposite. I just think there are many things to consider when deciding upon room orientation and hopefully this thread serves as an example that "wide" can be done effectively.

Hopefully I also have shown that a home theater can be created on a limited and relitively inexpensive budget and that a projector/big screen doesn't always mean big bucks.....
post #115 of 187 Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM

Nice equipment, excellent use of the space, sweet clean setup!!

Mark
XBox 360 Gamertag: Y2KFirehawk
post #116 of 187 Old 11-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Well, there is a reason to have the room oriented the narrow instead of wide that has nothing to do with preference, but I don't believe a majority of the people notice the difference. I doubt I could tell the difference between a $20k and a $5k speaker setup, either. Most of us just want the "big" theater experience, and couldn't nitpick differences in quality even if we wanted to.

The room looks great.
post #117 of 187 Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 PM

Nice theater, screen shots, and everything else.
post #118 of 187 Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Very nice job on the room. Enjoy

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #119 of 187 Old 11-28-2007, 11:58 PM

Nice job... My basement is split in half - the finished half is roughly the same size as your HT. We currently have a 50" rear-projection monster (12+ years old) at one end on a narrow wall, but your setup gives me a few ideas for the future. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go with the fancy seating since I occasionally need to set the room up for 14-person family dinners with a bunch of folding tables/chairs...

My next magic act will be to convince my wife that the new 50" plasma in the living room isn't enough HDTV...!
post #120 of 187 Old 11-29-2007, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowlin View Post

Nice job... My basement is split in half - the finished half is roughly the same size as your HT. We currently have a 50" rear-projection monster (12+ years old) at one end on a narrow wall, but your setup gives me a few ideas for the future. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go with the fancy seating since I occasionally need to set the room up for 14-person family dinners with a bunch of folding tables/chairs...

My next magic act will be to convince my wife that the new 50" plasma in the living room isn't enough HDTV...!

Thanks for the compliments all.....

Yeah, one bad thing about HD is that it is so addicting. The constant thought of upgrading and improving equipment is never ending. My 1.5 year old 42" Plasma in the living room looks so small now that I have the 92" screen in the basement. I also tell my wife that if I could do it all over again, I would want to furnish the entire upstairs living room with Berklines instead of the Crate & Barrel sofas we have now. She looked at me like I was crazy.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page