Home Depot & Safe and Sound doors no more - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Went to order some more S&S doors this weekend and was told that Home Depot no longer has a contract with Masonite and will no longer sell these doors.

Just figured I would post that information for anyone seeking them.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Interesting. Well I guess that makes my decision a little easier. I've had my eye on a Jeld-Wen solid wood exterior door from Lowes and was considering whether to order a safe-n-sound door instead. STC-wise, the two aren't much different per the research that I've done. The real kicker was going to be whether I wanted to mess with building my own jambs and such or just go with a prehung. I liked the Jeld-Wen door better anyway, so that's what I'll get.

Matt
Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

Went to order some more S&S doors this weekend and was told that Home Depot no longer has a contract with Masonite and will no longer sell these doors.

Got mine at Lowes.

Some interesting discussion here:

http://www.greenerbuilding.org/produ...cid=42&pid=109

What I've been able to determine is that Masonite sells the basic SS doors to a number of different companies who slap it into a frame and call it a pre-hung. HD had there brand and Lowes had theirs. A local door company here has theirs.
The quality of work done by these various companies is marginal. Out of the 10 Prehungs I bought at Lowes I would say 5 had noticeable sloppy workmanship. A couple I had to take apart and redo.

Either that or Masonite Private labels their Pre-hungs and they are sold under various brand names. All seem to suffer from quality issues. However all my doors are up and working.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I only buy my doors, doors only and we do our own jambs. and I know you can find them elsewhere, but I figured there are a lot of theads telling people they can get them at home depot and now you can't so I figured it was worth mentioning.

I ended up just buying some solid pine doors in the sizes, [odd] that I needed because I figured
1. they are at least solid wood albeit a softwood

2. I am putting a total of 1" of plywood plus upholstery on each door with the custom treatments I am doing to them. so I figure that adds quite a bit to the overall mass and sound reduction as well. Anyway, we shall see when we finally get them done and hung.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
Old 07-10-2007, 10:24 AM

I went looking for Safe & Sound at Home Depot a few weeks back, and ended up buying the Jeld-Wen door that they market for sound reduction. They call it "ProCore The Quiet Door." They had a sale going (and may still have it) that gave the ProCore as a free upgrade over the standard hollow core door.

I got a thicker jamb to account for the double rock and also the thicker door to help get as much mass as possible between the room and the rest of the house. It all ended up costing me about $150 (normally would have been around $100, but the thicker jamb cost me almost $50 extra).
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, my local Home Depot will still order doors from Masonite. I talked to them to a guy in Doors & Windows there yesterday and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

He could be wrong, but it might be worth checking with your local HD if you are looking for one.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 PM

Liked: 14
How do the doors discussed hear compare to an exterior grade metal door with a seal around all sides?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-21-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, it depends on the region, I can still order them from Big Orange in Richmond, I was just their today to confirm. But you can't order them from DC big orange from what I understand.

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
Old 09-21-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have any hard data. My impression is that Safe&Sound is simply Masonite's line of solid core interior doors. Instead of a hollow center (actually, foam filled), they have a particle board center.

As for steel doors, check out this link to the Green Glue door faq:

http://www.greengluecompany.com/soundproofingDoors.php

It indicates that steel doors are comparable to solid core doors, as long as the steel door is 'solid' (inner honeycomb).

My question now: is a safe&sound door any better than a regular solid wood door from a sound transmission perspective? Home Depot and Lowes both stock solid wood (pine?) relatively heavy doors for almost exactly the price it would cost me to order a Safe&Sound.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!