Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1501 of 1820 Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
As of right now, I've got everything BUT the projector running through it and it says 29 min. Of course, that number is only at idol. I imagine if the amps were making a heavy draw, the time would go way down.

I'm going to pick up an extension cord today so that the projector can be run to it. For now, I lost the benefit of the dedicated circuit for the PJ. I figure in a few years when this battery goes, I'll get a new one to protect the PJ only and use this (old) one for the rest of my rack (only providing surge protection and conditioning, not battery).

The "Twinseltown" Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1820 Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is that a dig at how much useless drabble is on this thread?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1503 of 1820 Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Once he publishes the story in book form and the sells the movie rights, then you know "How to build a Theater Room"! Don't worry David, the names will be changed! All persons ned in this story will be fictional and will not represent any living person.
post #1504 of 1820 Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragusa
Once he publishes the story in book form and the sells the movie rights, then you know "How to build a Theater Room"! Don't worry David, the names will be changed! All persons ned in this story will be fictional and will not represent any living person.
You know I was contemplating penning my memoirs, particularly about the ex. Apparently someone has already come up with 'how to train your dragon'. Bummer!

Follow my thread
post #1505 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have some progress to report on the marquee. I have the main panel cut stained and mounted.

Installed four can lights (painted brown). Aesthetically they wash the columns and doors, but the main funtion is to light up the steps. They do a great job in both respects. I installed a double switch box (brown) on the back side of the right column with dimmer switches for the cans and the light that will backlight the sign. The photos don't do justice to the "drama" that the cans produce. Very happy with the results. Starting to impress myself.

post #1506 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You know Tony, you give credit to the saying;
Quote:
Just Do It!
Great effect, BTW what the heck you going to do when you get done... watch a movie

Al
post #1507 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Simply Stunning!!

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #1508 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well done my friend!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #1509 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Stunning! Great work!

post #1510 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
A+ Looks great, Tony.

Considering how well everything turned out, you should be able to start selling tickets to your theater to supplement your income

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #1511 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Tony - the entrance is looking VERY NICE - the can lights really set it off!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1512 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Absolutely Fabulous!

Why is the right column swiveled 45 degrees in the first pic, I guess you were still working on something?

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #1513 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Looks great Tony. I am impressed.

Dave

|
|
|
post #1514 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The entry just keeps looking better and better, Tony...and the lighted marquee you're planning will add another very nice touch.

Very good work!

Tom

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #1515 of 1820 Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again for the kind words. I don't post photos for the purpose of a pat on the back, but its still nice.

Brad, the column was turned so I could have access to the switches. Once wired, I spun it back in place.

Al, we've watched 3000 hours of movies during construction and should be 10's of thousands after!

JPA, I could use the supplement.

post #1516 of 1820 Old 09-02-2011, 03:31 AM

Liked: 11
Guess Tom and I are rotating who see things last.

The rock and stained wood look good together.

Good job!!

Thanks,

David Tester
Tarheel Born, Tarheel bred, Tarheel till I die!!!

"Don't Worry, Don't Hurry" Cinemas

post #1517 of 1820 Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, Tony, I was wondering if you installed lights into your stage. I searched the thread but couldn't track anything down. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm thinking about putting lights in mine at my stage of construction and could use some pointers!

post #1518 of 1820 Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have any lights in the stage itself. But I do have 5 cans in the soffit above the stage. Is that what you're asking?

On another note: I've been doing lots of research on concrete countertops. Pretty sure I'm going to give that a try in the theater. Cheaper than granite, has the same feel, and looks just as good. More to come.

post #1519 of 1820 Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
I don't have any lights in the stage itself. But I do have 5 cans in the soffit above the stage. Is that what you're asking?

On another note: I've been doing lots of research on concrete countertops. Pretty sure I'm going to give that a try in the theater. Cheaper than granite, has the same feel, and looks just as good. More to come.
Tony, regarding the counter tops...

Then you have probably been here?

We were going to make our own for the kitchen but have decided that granite is what would be best there, in the theater, concrete might be an excellent option.

Al
post #1520 of 1820 Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link Al. I had not been there before. Several similar sites though. It doesn't seem all that difficult. I really like the highly polished finishes showing the aggregate. The concrete seems a bit more informal than granite while still keeping many of the qualities. Just the feel I'm after in the theater. I hope to get into the project this month.

post #1521 of 1820 Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
hwo many movies u watched so far

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #1522 of 1820 Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not sure I'm following your question?

post #1523 of 1820 Old 09-23-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Shameless bump Tony? We going to see any more progress before your next projector lamp replacement?
How's the marquee coming along? Did you find those letters you were talking about?

Follow my thread
post #1524 of 1820 Old 09-24-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Good Job!

post #1525 of 1820 Old 09-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
Hey Tony,
Things are looking awesome! Love the columns. Keep up the good work. I have a question regarding my projector and not sure where to post it. Thought maybe since your thread gets so much attention maybe you or someone else here would know.
I just relocated my projector and now I ran a 80ft hdmi cable to it from my surround sound. The problem is I am not getting the sound to return back to the receiver. I am going to try to relocate things closer to see if that fixes it but I really
Like it where it is. Any thoughts from the master would be Appreciated.
Thanks!

Build it and they will watch!
post #1526 of 1820 Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I LOVE that entrance. Just had to say it again. Hopefully you'll get up to no good this weekend in the theatre!

post #1527 of 1820 Old 09-30-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ding, I think I've found the letters I want to use, but have to figure out what the backdrop will be made of. I'll post a photo of the letters soon.

Ozzie, thanks man!

Scot, if you're looking for "the master", you've come to the wrong place. I'm not sure I'm following your problem? If it's regarding the length of an HDMI run, I have used a 50' cable with no problems whatsoever. I currently am using a 30'. Can't speak for 80'. Seems to be longer than most any I've heard of. Sorry I can't help more than that.

J, thanks again! Tonight we'll be watching "Revenge of the Sith" and surely some football through the weekend.

Nothing happening construction wise. Been playing with XBMC and getting my Harmony better integrated in the system. Still intend to do the concrete counters, but have been too busy to get into it.

Had a new friend from the Klipsch forum come up last week to demo the DTS10's. Two comments he had. One, he felt a lack of mid bass. Two, he said during the Flight of the Phoenix demo clip, "I can feel my organs twisting". Is that good?

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm taking my boys out to Road Atlanta tomorrow for "Petite LeMans". Looking forward to it.

post #1528 of 1820 Old 09-30-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Tony,

Hey I know we have crossed paths many times here on AVS but I must admit I am a horrible "Thread Buddy" as I have NEVER posted on your thread. Don't know why, as I have visited your thread, guess I thought I would be better as a "silent observer". Well I'm silent no more!

That entry way and marquee looks fantastic and is a true work of art. Well done. Actually your entire build/space is well done and very classy looking. Keep up the good work. Now that I'm silent no longer you may want me to go back to my "old ways".

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1529 of 1820 Old 09-30-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Can't speak for 80'. Seems to be longer than most any I've heard of. Sorry I can't help more than that.

Not sure where the cutoff is either - I do know that HDMI baluns are available to extend longer (over cat5/6 cable) - never used one though.

Quote:

Been playing with XBMC and getting my Harmony better integrated in the system.

Me too - I used to love XBMC on my modded xbox, and finally got around to putting it on my PC (which was originally intended as an HTPC, but have been using it as my main desktop for a couple years). Added a couple 2 TB internal drives, I'm sure they'll fill up fast, but OK for now. Bought a $10 USB IR receiver on eBay, programmed the Harmony, works great.

Quote:

One, he felt a lack of mid bass. Two, he said during the Flight of the Phoenix demo clip, "I can feel my organs twisting". Is that good?

lack of mid bass - I know you did some EQ, did you manage to get fairly falt across the crossover region?

organs twisting - that sounds like what I felt at a local HT that had pretty deep extension.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #1530 of 1820 Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Had a new friend from the Klipsch forum come up last week to demo the DTS10's. Two comments he had. One, he felt a lack of mid bass. Two, he said during the Flight of the Phoenix demo clip, "I can feel my organs twisting". Is that good?

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm taking my boys out to Road Atlanta tomorrow for "Petite LeMans". Looking forward to it.

Actually there are three things that can cause "organ twisting". Bad Thai food, good Mexican food, and AWESOME BASS. So you might want to rule out the food options to make sure it was the bass.

Enjoy the weekend with your boys, take advantage of all those that you can.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page