The Black Hole: Before and After pics. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some might remember the build thread that I started some time ago. Well.. at some point I didn't update the thread anymore, for several reasons.
However, for those that would like to see the result of my efforts here is the before pic, and what the result is after our efforts:

Before:

After:

Sorry for the quality of the pics, I'll try to make better ones soon...

Tech data:
Room size: 2.80 x 4.50 x 2.40 meters (W X L X H)
Front Speakers: M&K 850 LCR
Rear Speakers: M&K CR1403 tripoles
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL-1200R
Amplification: Yamaha RX-V1000
DVD-player: Pioneer DV-444
Projector: InFocus IN78 (on loan)
Lighting control: S10 (X10 derivative) through home server

A big thanks to the following AVS members:
SWithey, for moral support..
Bryan Pape: accoustic consultancy
D. Erskine: the numerous posts I learned something from...
All others that have been supportive in one way or another in helping me do this and getting it finished. If I remember more names I'll edit this post...

DenW
"The Black Hole" HT (and other stuff..): http://www.denonline.nl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like you did a fantastic job. For working with limited space, you sure did utilize it well. Way to go!

-Jason
post #3 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Room size: 2.80 x 4.50 x 2.40 meters (L X W X H)

Is the length and width reversed? I'm guessing Length = 4.5 and Width = 2.8

==Cocophone==
post #4 of 21 Old 07-22-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Nicely done Den. It's a very nice clean look.

Hope you enjoy it.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #5 of 21 Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasplat88 View Post

Looks like you did a fantastic job. For working with limited space, you sure did utilize it well. Way to go!

-Jason

Thanks, Jason...

DenW
post #6 of 21 Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocophone View Post

Is the length and width reversed? I'm guessing Length = 4.5 and Width = 2.8

Well spotted. OP edited.

DenW
post #7 of 21 Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

Nicely done Den. It's a very nice clean look.

Hope you enjoy it.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan. That's the look I was aiming for (and all the room allowed, I think.. ).
There are still a couple of things left to do regarding your recommended room treatments (602 in front corners, bass trap), but the sound in the room now already is a far cry from what I was used to in my living room. Simply unbelievable. I'm hearing things I never heard before on soundtracks and music. It's quite an experience, even with the relatively inexpensive receiver I'm using. Thanks very much for your contribution to that!

Are we enjoying it? Hell, yeah...!! Even my wife can't wait to get in the room and watch something. Where in the beginning she thought i had gone completely nuts, she became quite enthousiastic in the final week when things finally started to take shape. Anyone here have the same experience?

DenW
post #8 of 21 Old 07-23-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenW View Post

Some might remember the build thread that I started some time ago. Well.. at some point I didn't update the thread anymore, for several reasons.
However, for those that would like to see the result of my efforts here is the before pic, and what the result is after our efforts:

Sorry for the quality of the pics, I'll try to make better ones soon...

Tech data:
Room size: 2.80 x 4.50 x 2.40 meters (W X L X H)
Front Speakers: M&K 850 LCR
Rear Speakers: M&K CR1403 tripoles
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL-1200R
Amplification: Yamaha RX-V1000
DVD-player: Pioneer DV-444
Projector: InFocus IN78 (on loan)
Lighting control: S10 (X10 derivative) through home server

A big thanks to the following AVS members:
SWithey, for moral support..
Bryan Pape: accoustic consultancy
D. Erskine: the numerous posts I learned something from...
All others that have been supportive in one way or another in helping me do this and getting it finished. If I remember more names I'll edit this post...

I thought I was proud of my theater room, that was till I saw yours. Dude you did such a fantastic job! I never believed such a small space likes yours could turn out so beautiful. Honestly I'd pick your room over any other huge basement theaters. I am so green with envy now I'd make even shrek run for his money. Congrats dude! You are the first person to actually make me not like my theater room anymore. lol.

PS: How's the sub? How many inches is it? I almost got it but the local dealer recommended me the cht12 or something like that. His reasoning being your sub is more of a musical sub and if I wanted more impact I should get the cht12. Though I'm quite confused since your sub is much more powerful (in terms of wattage) but on the other hand I was told the cht12 has a much bigger cone and has more impact. Any idea?
post #9 of 21 Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenW View Post

Even my wife can't wait to get in the room and watch something. Where in the beginning she thought i had gone completely nuts, she became quite enthousiastic in the final week when things finally started to take shape. Anyone here have the same experience?

Heh. Yeah!

All along I had the ultimate vision of what my room would look like and feel like I totally nailed it. Funny, I thought my wife did too. Until I finally hung my Art Deco columns and sconces and she came in when I was done, and said "Wow, that's absolutely amazing! I had no idea it would look like this?" To which I responded, "Uh, what did you think it would look like?" and she said, "Cheesy."

Ouch, so little faith. But now I can't get her out of there and she drags all of her friends upstairs to see it. We watch all TV up there, family movies, music, etc. Just LOVE IT!

Congrats, it looks great!!

Mike
post #10 of 21 Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak_Zombie View Post

I thought I was proud of my theater room, that was till I saw yours. Dude you did such a fantastic job! I never believed such a small space likes yours could turn out so beautiful. Honestly I'd pick your room over any other huge basement theaters. I am so green with envy now I'd make even shrek run for his money. Congrats dude! You are the first person to actually make me not like my theater room anymore. lol.

PS: How's the sub? How many inches is it? I almost got it but the local dealer recommended me the cht12 or something like that. His reasoning being your sub is more of a musical sub and if I wanted more impact I should get the cht12. Though I'm quite confused since your sub is much more powerful (in terms of wattage) but on the other hand I was told the cht12 has a much bigger cone and has more impact. Any idea?

Thanks for the kind words Freak_Zombie... You're almost making me blush...
Definitely don't want to make anyone not like their own theater room, but did want to show this can be done even in small rooms. Of course, I had a little help...

The SPL-1200R is a 12 inch sub, and while it's actually too big for my room it performs very, very well. It plays just what you throw at it.
Don't know the CHT12, so can't really comment on that. But more impact??
I find the impact of the SPL more than enough, and I know I have some headroom. I think the volume setting is at default level (30 out of 100) and I even turned the Sub-out of my receiver down a couple of dB.
So while I can not say I have compared much, it sounds fine to me, both in music and movies. Hope that helps.

DenW
post #11 of 21 Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post

Heh. Yeah!

All along I had the ultimate vision of what my room would look like and feel like I totally nailed it. Funny, I thought my wife did too. Until I finally hung my Art Deco columns and sconces and she came in when I was done, and said "Wow, that's absolutely amazing! I had no idea it would look like this?" To which I responded, "Uh, what did you think it would look like?" and she said, "Cheesy."

Ouch, so little faith. But now I can't get her out of there and she drags all of her friends upstairs to see it. We watch all TV up there, family movies, music, etc. Just LOVE IT!

Congrats, it looks great!!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I had the same idea, that she kind of knew how it would turn out. But it turns out she didn't until the last week.
Now, with me off to work and her at home, she uses it more than I do.
Great to see she's finally getting in to it...

Last week we watched Harry Potter (all 4, 1 per evening), before watching the fifth one at the cinema. We both felt a little disappointed when we came back. Not with the movie (dark and quite entertaining) but the environment at home is sooooo much better now. No echo in the room, no mumbling, etc. etc. etc.
We'll probably think twice before going to the cinema again...

DenW
post #12 of 21 Old 07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I remember your original post and I'm glad your finally done! Very well layed out and love the recessed lights. Congrats!

Evil is Good
post #13 of 21 Old 07-24-2007, 03:58 PM

Where did you find those seats? I like them, and have a need for something similiar.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Try:
http://seatsandchairs.com/products.asp?CategoryID=2

they have all the new styles and they have some really nice used ones. I got mine there and they were great to work with as well.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #15 of 21 Old 07-26-2007, 09:23 AM

Hey Den,

Congrats on finishing! It looks great!

I've been keeping an eye on your old thread to see how a room, the size of my future theatre, would turn out...I'm VERY impressed!

What size screen did you end up with?

Congrats again!

p_og

"-They should project the movies on Cartman's a$$.
-Yeah, that would be like IMAX."
post #16 of 21 Old 07-28-2007, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

hey P_Og

Thanks!

Screen size is 180 x 101 cm (70" x 40")

Den

DenW
post #17 of 21 Old 07-28-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

I remember your original post and I'm glad your finally done! Very well layed out and love the recessed lights. Congrats!

Thanks vitod!

DenW
post #18 of 21 Old 07-28-2007, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by temposs View Post

Where did you find those seats? I like them, and have a need for something similiar.

The seats were stored for a long time, sitting in my garage and my garden shed for about 7 years. The restoration of them was a bit of a dirty job, and very time consuming. Originally they were in a theater (live performance theater) here locally, but got them for about 4$ each. Restoring them was expensive though... only the fabric I did not do myself, we hired someone for that...

DenW
post #19 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Den,

I feel like I'm late to the game. I must have missed your thread

WHAT A GREAT JOB ON THE THEATER! You did very well with your limited space. It is so nice when everything comes together. I'm glad both you and your wife are getting some real use out of the room!

I'm with you on the theater experience vs. watching a movie at home. We just saw Bourne Ultimatum (great flick) and I was playing elbow games on the armrest with the guy in the next seat -- which bothered the heck out of me. My wife even commented that it sounded better in our room and she could not "feel" the bass like she does in our room. So I guess I have buy-in from the wife as well Mike's (accts4mjs) wife's "cheesy" comment above almost made me fall out of my chair.

Maybe one of these days they will sell movies on DVD at the same time as the theatrical release. I'll pay a premium for the DVD to watch it at home. Hell, I went with my wife for the evening show and after 2 tickets, Coke, Tea and a popcorn, PLUS a babysitter, the total came to ~$50US. I say just sell me the DVD for $40 and call it a day

QUESTION: Is the rear platform still on wheels so you can move it in/out of the way? If so, do you move it like you planned or just keep it pushed to the side?
post #20 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
[quote=swithey]

Maybe one of these days they will sell movies on DVD at the same time as the theatrical release. I'll pay a premium for the DVD to watch it at home. Hell, I went with my wife for the evening show and after 2 tickets, Coke, Tea and a popcorn, PLUS a babysitter, the total came to ~$50US. I say just sell me the DVD for $40 and call it a day
[quote]

I believe that there has been a lot of discuss about doing that very thing - same time release of the movie in the theaters and DVD. They just experimented with a film release recently I think. Just can't recall any details right now. Besides the timeframe before a DVD comes out seems to be getting really short. Once our theater is complete I can not imagine we'll ever go to the movies accept for a really special event. And even then I may be tempted to just wait...

post #21 of 21 Old 08-15-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Steve,

Thanks! Yes, it all worked out very well, and we are extremely pleased with the room...

The last row of chairs on the riser is on wheels, and this is quite handy actually. We move it around all the time. Well... not *all* the time since we do have other\\better things to do, but you know what I mean....
We're building a small wooden addition to our house now that's right behind the theater space, so we have to move a lot of wood from front to back. This all has to go through the theater, so we're very happy we can push aside the riser and 1st row chairs to make sure we have enough space and not hit anything.
The screen is on a rail and slides to the right too, and the left speaker is connected with banana plugs so it can easily be moved as well. So within a few minutes, a wide enough passage can be created to get things to the back of the house with less worry of hitting something in the theater. I'll make a pic of the theater this way and post it here.
We also move the riser sometimes to let both the left and middle seat be in the middle of the theater, so the sound experience is equally good for both listeners.

The first row of seats is on the ground now, but i´m thinking about putting these on a (lower but still movable) riser as well. At the moment, they really are a bit too low for pleasurable viewing, plus the wheels make it much easier to move them around.

On a side note: i purchased wheels which could be locked, but they are hardly ever locked into position as the weight of the construction incl. chairs prohibits it from moving around easily. To get it moving you have to put some force behind it initially.
However, when you're on the riser and wildly move around a bit, the riser does move. I'm thinking this will help when (if ever) I put bass shakers under the riser... The force of the bass shakers should be felt on the whole riser, not just on the chairs...

I agree with you on the DVD release dates, although I think this will never happen for various reasons. Loss of income for theater owners could mean prices go up, loss of revenue for studio's would mean an increase in dvd-price. If everybody can see the movie at home (own time, own space) going to a movie will be something you do on a date or for specialty occasions, it will stop being a (kind of) social event. For most people, watching a movie on a 15"-21" screen even without surround sound is enough. The AVS crowd is the minority.

DenW
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page