Acoustic treatments and angled ceilings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched for advice on this in the Acoustic Treatments Master Thread and couldn't find anything that addressed this issue directly, so here goes nothing:

My in-construction HT is above a garage and has angled ceilings. The room dimensions are 24'6" x 17'6" x 10'. Seating distances are 13' and 18' with additional seating at a rear bar. Riser is 10" high. The side walls begin to angle in at a height of 5'6" on a fairly steep pitch. I attached a very primitive sketchup of the room. I'm planning on treating the walls at and below ear level with duct liner but had a question about the height. It would give a much cleaner look to take the duct liner/fabric all the way up to the 5'6" level and finish it with trim at the start of the angled section. But I realize this takes my treatments well above ear level for the first row of seating which is at floor level and also above ear level for the seats on the riser.

Questions:
1) Would it make that much of a difference to take it up to that height?
2) Would the recommended thickness change (1",2",4")?
3) I'm also planning on treating the entire front wall floor-to-ceiling, but didn't have plans for the ceiling itself yet. Would any of these considerations play into the need for limited treatment (panels?) of the ceiling?

Thanks in advance!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Keep in mind you don't just need to use duct liner all the way from floor to angle. At the appropriate height you can switch to cotton if you are worried about making the room too dead. Once the fabric is up no one will be able to tell the difference.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Coledaddy,

Your room is almost exactly like mine in size and configuration. Take a peak at my thread and see some of the things I did. Ask any questions you want, I did a ton of research and asked tons of questions. Bryan Pape helped with my acoustics although I did not have him do a complete analysis, maybe you should. His input is priceless and his products are competively priced.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Cathan, great point. I guess sometimes the obvious solution is the easiest. I didn't even think about just using cotton fill before the transition area.

J-dubb, I'm diving into your thread. You're right, it looks like our dimensions are pretty similar.

Thanks for the input, guys.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-25-2007, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Acoustic cotton absorbs sound about as much as dense fiberglass. Polyester batting absorbs too, but less efficiently -- mostly because it is not as dense. Nothing at all (just a 1" or 2" depth air space behind stretched fabric) absorbs, well, not at all. The latter option is useful if you want to continue the acoustically transparent fabric for aesthetic reasons, but don't want any acoustic side effects.

Regards,
Terry

Terry Montlick Laboratories
Home Theater Acoustics
Critical Listening Rooms
Design, Evaluation, Alpha Certification®
www.tmlaboratories.com
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page