Small Budget, Smaller Room HT Conversion - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 02-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, very nice setup in a smaller room. Your room is almost exactly the same size as my bonus room upstairs that I fantasize of turning into a HT. Great to see something that looks good in the limited space. Gives me hope for a good room!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Minor update.

I received some movie posters as gifts this past Christmas, and while they have been hanging since Dec. 28th, these are the first pictures I have taken of them.

Please excuse the Flash. I'll try to get some cleaner pictured in natural light later this week.

I've also added some brushed bronze cover plates to the outlets which you can see in Picture #3.
post #33 of 59 Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Absolutely love it...

prime use of space, great work!

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
post #34 of 59 Old 03-07-2008, 05:27 AM

is that a rug or did you carpet tile the room? did you glue down over hardwood?
post #35 of 59 Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 AM

love the blue felt curtain! im stealing that idea!
post #36 of 59 Old 03-07-2008, 07:03 AM

hey what brand are those seats? i think they are like mine. but the place where i bought mine they only had black and an ugly butter color.
post #37 of 59 Old 03-07-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleroman View Post

is that a rug or did you carpet tile the room? did you glue down over hardwood?

Carpet tiles, secured with strips of double sided carpet tape on the edges (I tested the tape strips and they can be removed with a little effort without marking the hardwood)

Quote:

love the blue felt curtain! im stealing that idea!

Velvet actually.

Quote:

hey what brand are those seats? i think they are like mine. but the place where i bought mine they only had black and an ugly butter color.

Coaster Studios that were being cleared out by Bel at their distribution center last year just before they switched to selling their own "in-house" brand of theater seating..
post #38 of 59 Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Managed to get a little more done over the past weekend.

Finally took out the "temporary" surround speakers and mounted the ones which were bought for the room months ago...

And took a little bit of time to sit down and appreciate them with a TrueHD soundtrack...

post #39 of 59 Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM

This is amazing and a fantastic use of space. Many of us spend months and months of research (and $) to create these unbelievable theaters when something this nice can be done so quickly. This has definitely motivated me to get out of my never endign planning stage and into actually getting my basement theater started. I have the speakers, projector, screen, seating, cables, all I'm missing is the framing, drywall, paint and finishing touches. There is a saying in my line of work, paralysis analysis, which is what I need to get out of.
post #40 of 59 Old 03-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Great job with the space.... The screen area looks like one of a kind... nice blend of colors/woodwork to go along with the black up front.

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #41 of 59 Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Great job for the budget - your screenwall especially looks really nice. Cheers!

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #42 of 59 Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

i would love to know how you constructed your front pillars, i've been thinking of doing the same thing.....

our room is roughly the same size and we wanted to keep our speakers instead of using in-walls with an AT screen......

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
post #43 of 59 Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post

i would love to know how you constructed your front pillars, i've been thinking of doing the same thing.....

our room is roughly the same size and we wanted to keep our speakers instead of using in-walls with an AT screen......

Our goal was to create a theater which could potentially be turned back into a bedroom simply by removing the equipment and repainting. So in-wall speakers didn't work for us either. However, we didn't want the speakers to be a distraction from the screenwall.

Since the Mirage speakers I'm using are omni-directional, I wanted something which would hide their placement in the room but would be transparent to the transmission of sound in all directions. That was why I designed the pillars this way.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures while I was building them however, they are basically just made of a framework of 1x3's with quarter-inch paneling stained and cut to fit the top sections and with speaker cloth stapled to the sides on the bottom half.

The basic construction of the frames is fairly similar to that of the center cabinet, just longer and narrower. Here is a picture of the center cabinet while it was being built to give an idea what I am talking about.

There are removable grills made for the bottom (where the speakers) are that are a simple wooden frame with a cloth cover which are attached with velcro tabs.

The pillars are then secured to the center cabinet with clamps allowing for easy removal if needed.

Not the most elegant bit of carpentry to be sure, but since they were basically built by a guy who has never used power tools or made anything out of wood before this project, I'm happy with them.

I made all of the pieces much larger than was required for the very small Mirage Omnisat speakers so that I would have room to potentially install larger, full sized speakers at some future date. Not that I don't love the Omnisats but I figured that if I was going to build custom speaker enclosures that I might as well plan ahead.

post #44 of 59 Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent, excellent work

Once I show the family, it's all go time from there. I'm pretty sure this would make things much easier when it's time to change, i.e. new speakers, fabrics etc. in the future. I LIKE MODULAR, especially for WAF. Thanks for the info, it's extremely helpful....

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
post #45 of 59 Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 AM

How did you build your screen? I am not understanding the BOC on wooden frame part. I am a noob though so it might be a simple explanation. I have about 3 grand to spend and about the same size room. Yours looks pretty damn pro so I am trying to get as close to yours as possible.
post #46 of 59 Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Nice setup! Looks high quality for such a low cost.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #47 of 59 Old 04-23-2008, 03:08 PM

nice setup im going at a 10'x10' room with a tight budget and this gives me hope.

im purple!
xbl:pumbaa071
psn:antishock
post #48 of 59 Old 04-23-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberger3 View Post

How did you build your screen? I am not understanding the BOC on wooden frame part. I am a noob though so it might be a simple explanation. I have about 3 grand to spend and about the same size room. Yours looks pretty damn pro so I am trying to get as close to yours as possible.

There is a tread following the construction of the screen in the DIY Screen forums here:

Screen construction

But basically it was just a simple frame made from 1x3's covered with a sheet of Black-out cloth which was cut to overlap the edges of the screen by about 2" on each side.
post #49 of 59 Old 04-23-2008, 05:16 PM

Wow nice job there!

NJ
post #50 of 59 Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM

I am curious, how did you run the speaker cables to your rear speakers? Did you run them through the walls, or did you just send them under the carpet?

Great job on the room, goes to show that a room can be created without spending 15k-30k.
post #51 of 59 Old 05-01-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill448 View Post

I am curious, how did you run the speaker cables to your rear speakers? Did you run them through the walls, or did you just send them under the carpet?

Great job on the room, goes to show that a room can be created without spending 15k-30k.

Right now they are going under the edge of the carpet around the room however the attic does give me access to the wall drops so I can "upgrade" to in-wall connections later if I think it's needed.

Originally (due to doubts from my wife) the whole idea was to be able to convert the room back to a bedroom by simply removing the equipment and re-painting, so we didn't want to make any cut outs or alterations to the walls.

However, now that we have the HT setup (and my wife now loving the room), the likelihood of our changing it back to a bedroom has basically dropped to zero so I am now considering making some changes to the space which would give it a bit more "finished" look.
post #52 of 59 Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM

WOW, $2200 VERY VERY well spent my friend. Send this thread to the US Dept of Treasury and they might learn a thing or two about budget.. Awesome work.
post #53 of 59 Old 05-03-2008, 06:30 PM

I am planning to build a cabinet under the screen and was really interested how you contructed the cabinet. Can you post some photos of it open? Also, how do you open and close the front?

They really look great and i think i might be able to do sometime similar with my limited contruction experience.
post #54 of 59 Old 05-03-2008, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcheeku View Post

I am planning to build a cabinet under the screen and was really interested how you contructed the cabinet. Can you post some photos of it open? Also, how do you open and close the front?

They really look great and i think i might be able to do sometime similar with my limited contruction experience.

Actually, the front of that piece doesn't open, I left the back of the unit open to allow access instead.

Technically, I could have built an open frame and a removable front cover for it in the same manner as the side units, however, the center piece was my first attempt at carpentry and I didn't think of the removable grill concept until after I started working on the side pieces.

If I had to do it over again, I would simply build the rectangular frame and make the front grill a separate piece, but I doubt that I will be "remodeling" that cabinet any time soon.
post #55 of 59 Old 05-04-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Great job! I'm going to save this thread and use it as an example for those times when someone tells me they'd love to put an HT in their house but don't have the space or money.
post #56 of 59 Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Your theater looks very polished. I'm house hunting right now and one of the prerequisites is to have space for a home theater but given this thread I think I have more options from the houses I've looked at. I can only imagine what you could accomplish with a larger space. I am wondering, however, what you did to block out the window in the room. I've been using blackout cloth velcroed to the insides of the sill, but that's a really cheap and lazy way to do it (and looks like total crap haha). Anyway, grats on the theater. It looks superb.

post #57 of 59 Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I am wondering, however, what you did to block out the window in the room. I've been using blackout cloth velcroed to the insides of the sill, but that's a really cheap and lazy way to do it (and looks like total crap haha). Anyway, grats on the theater. It looks superb.

Basically, two pieces of 1/4" plywood, cut to fit the window sill, with Owen's Corning 705 sandwiched between them.

The window side has 3" of upholstery foam glued to it covered in BO cloth, the side facing into the room has two simple handles attached to it to make the whole thing easy to insert/remove from the window.

There is 1/2" foam weatherstripping along the inside of the sill to help seal out sound.

Finally, the whole thing is covered by the velvet drapes.

Prevents all light and most sound from coming in through the window without having to permanently seal the whole thing up.
post #58 of 59 Old 11-13-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm resurrecting this thread because the urge has hit me to finally get started on finishing the last details of this room.

I saw an adjustable ceiling mounted light fixture at Lowes and decided to add it in to replace the original "bedroom" style light that has been in there.

I think the modern design and cherry stained wooden elements go well with the rest of the room and since the lights themselves are adjustable, I am able to angle all three towards the back of the room to help reduce light spill onto the screen.

I also swapped out the regular toggle switch for the light with one that has a sliding dimmer switch built into it.

The combination of the new light plus dimmer allows me to actually have a bit of ambient light on in the room without taking too much from the image on the screen.

Hopefully I can get started on building the acoustical panels sometime over the next two weeks and add those as well.
post #59 of 59 Old 04-24-2010, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice looking room. Any updates regarding the acoustic panels. Some screen shots would be great to see how things turned out!

Bob
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page