The Arthouse" (fomerly "The Grindhouse") - Planning and Construction Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 290 Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
can't wait to see it finished!!!

I'm also in the process of building a HT in my basement's small room (12x15) and planned to use 1 row due to the size with a 92" screen. however, after looked at your plan, it does seems like 2 row is doable..... but 9' away from a 100" screen?? I still think it's a bit too close....

p.s. back to working on mine now.....

~ Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 290 Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

can't wait to see it finished!!!

I'm also in the process of building a HT in my basement's small room (12x15) and planned to use 1 row due to the size with a 92" screen. however, after looked at your plan, it does seems like 2 row is doable..... but 9' away from a 100" screen?? I still think it's a bit too close....

p.s. back to working on mine now.....

I too started with a plan for a 92" screen. If you are going 1080p my suggestion is to get the projector before the screen and project it on the wall and watch it for a while. I quickly changed my mind.

And by the way, the screen is 108"

It will mostly be the two of us watching when there's no company anyway, so we can always choose between the back and front rows. I was thinking back row for xbox/PS3 games and sports, front row for flicks.

Rob

"The Arthouse"..MY HT Thread

post #93 of 290 Old 01-06-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This was a crazy weekend of work and here are more pictures. I also tested all the speaker lines and cables before closing up the soffit. Everything tested well and I can see the project ending in about a month or so. I still need to paint the fascia on the screen wall black and put molding and crown in the soffit. Now on to the pictures!

The fabric panels will be wrapped in black GOM with OC 703 in the frame. Right now the wood frames are just hung in place.

Fascia wood still needs filling at the seams and a coat of flat urethane.

The curtain is only temporary until I figure out my plan for the window.

Molding will go on all edges for a clean look and more foundation for crown molding.

The facia wood on the stage area will be painted flat black to match the rest of the stage.

Rob

post #94 of 290 Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsprance View Post

I too started with a plan for a 92" screen. If you are going 1080p my suggestion is to get the projector before the screen and project it on the wall and watch it for a while. I quickly changed my mind.

And by the way, the screen is 108"

It will mostly be the two of us watching when there's no company anyway, so we can always choose between the back and front rows. I was thinking back row for xbox/PS3 games and sports, front row for flicks.

yeah, I just re-did some measurement again tonight, looks like 106" screen is very doable and should be fine for viewing 10' away. now you are making me thinking 'bout it..... however, I'll have to see if the new Epson 1080UB (my current planned projector) could throw a 106" screen from 10-11' away tho....

~ Gary

)

post #95 of 290 Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM

Liked: 10
Almost done!!
post #96 of 290 Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very cool! Keep the pics coming...

- Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #97 of 290 Old 01-07-2008, 09:43 AM

I just caught up on this thread after a couple months and WOW. Things really are coming together nicely. Great job.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #98 of 290 Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys. I'm really getting excited seeing everything finally come together.

Rob

post #99 of 290 Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 AM

Sorry for my english (I'm French...) But ... WOW !! All the work is done so nicely ... keep posting lots of pictures...
post #100 of 290 Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Started working on the soffit molding tonight.

Started with some 'L' shaped molding. The crown molding will also nail into this.

Detail at the projector opening

This is where the soffit meets the screen wall column.

The crown molding for the rope light will go up like this. I am holding it off camera

Rob

post #101 of 290 Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 AM

Before I saw the last picture, I was assuming that the crown would "rest" on top of the l-moulding. Any particular reason for doing it the way you planned vs. that way?

Really love the look you have going, by the way. I may "borrow" the wood panel look for mine.

PSN ID: buckswin
post #102 of 290 Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksWin View Post

Before I saw the last picture, I was assuming that the crown would "rest" on top of the l-moulding. Any particular reason for doing it the way you planned vs. that way?

Really love the look you have going, by the way. I may "borrow" the wood panel look for mine.

Thanks!

Since the fascia is only 9 inches, I dont want to cut off so much of the birchwood look with half of it being different moldings. The "L" shape serves more to clean up the gap between the wood and the drywall and also to give me much more to nail the crown into other than just the studs. The underside of the 'L' molding still shows and looks much cleaner. I can now spread the nailing thoughout the crown for a better hold.

As far as borrowing...borrow away! You will have to pay commision to my dad. it was his idea.

Rob

post #103 of 290 Old 01-13-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More work this week, getting the room pretty close to ready for the carpet install next weekend!

Drilled the rope light hole before putting up the crown molding.

Crown molding worked well with the "L" shaped molding.

All wood is finished with a BM flat poly.

Detail where soffit meets screen wall column.

Also worked on finishing up the inside of the columns...

Lined the inside of all columns with OC703

...then lined the inside with GOM701 acoustically transparent fabric

Speaker fits just right

Rob

post #104 of 290 Old 01-14-2008, 08:56 AM

Good thing you didn't listen to me on the crown moulding... Looks great the way you did it!

PSN ID: buckswin
post #105 of 290 Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksWin View Post

Good thing you didn't listen to me on the crown moulding... Looks great the way you did it!

Thanks! I was "wingin it" but it came it out the way I had hoped. It looks really great with the rope light on. I tried to take some pictures but it didnt come out too good. I will try again later on "night" mode.

Rob

post #106 of 290 Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 PM

Looks awesome!
post #107 of 290 Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got some more stuff done today, including the GrafikEye installation. I was dreading the wiring and how to connect everything and I had it all basically done in one hour. It's one of the coolest things for a theater and I haven't even used it with the remote yet.

Started putting up the shevling brackets. Thanks to Tom (YW84U) of Tanner Ridge for the stealable idea that saved me a lot of money!

I will notch out the shelving to fit inside the opening and cut it using the leftover birch ply from the wall panels.

GrafikEye Installed! Booya!

And here's some newly set "scenes" that show off the lighting and cove lighting better

Rob

post #108 of 290 Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM

Looks great! Really like the wall panels and sconces.

Also, how do you like the Axioms? I am probably going that route as well. I hope you like them!

Jay

3 things right, 100 things wrong.

post #109 of 290 Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 PM

So cool! Will it be done for the Super Bowl?
post #110 of 290 Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansprance View Post

So cool! Will it be done for the Super Bowl?

As a Steeler fan, I dont want to watch the Patriots win on a 108" screen.

Rob

post #111 of 290 Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM

Hi Rob,
Looking good. Can you help me understand what you put inside the speaker columns and why. I am building a very similar screen wall, and want some insight into what to do and why.

Also, what will you put in the top and bottom "boxes" that are empty.
post #112 of 290 Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuck View Post

Hi Rob,
Looking good. Can you help me understand what you put inside the speaker columns and why. I am building a very similar screen wall, and want some insight into what to do and why.

Also, what will you put in the top and bottom "boxes" that are empty.

The bottom boxes are for the sub, the middle for the L/R speakers and the top is just to give me access to the rope light outlet. i will be filling the top cavities and the bottom right with OC703 insulation since there will only be one sub.

OC703 is a sound deadening insulation. In hindsight I wouldnt have done the screen side in drywall but covered it with GOM acoustically transparent fabric instead. Since it was pointed out to me after it was already built, someone sugested i line it with OC703 to deaden the inside.

I suggest posting your design idea in the acoustical treatment thread and letting the knowledgable people there have a go at how to properly handle your design.

Rob

post #113 of 290 Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Looking wonderful... you are helping me finalize how I want my soffit to be finished.
I like the black ceiling, wood, black under soffit look. Keep it up

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #114 of 290 Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Looking wonderful... you are helping me finalize how I want my soffit to be finished.
I like the black ceiling, wood, black under soffit look. Keep it up

Feels good to read things like that. Thanks!

Rob

post #115 of 290 Old 01-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Rob,

Any reason you went with Axiom QS4's instead of the 8's? I have my eye on the Axiom's, but not sure if I need the 8's in the back or not, I'm thinking of going with 3 M3's across the front a EP175 for my sub and the 8's in the back, it would be nice to save money and grab the 4's instead.

Your build looks great, thanks for the pics.
post #116 of 290 Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post

Rob,

Any reason you went with Axiom QS4's instead of the 8's? I have my eye on the Axiom's, but not sure if I need the 8's in the back or not, I'm thinking of going with 3 M3's across the front a EP175 for my sub and the 8's in the back, it would be nice to save money and grab the 4's instead.

Your build looks great, thanks for the pics.

Thanks!

Because of the size of the room (15x12) I think it would be overkill to go with the QS8's in a 7.1 setup. If I was going 5.1 I would have went with the 8's. After talking to people on AVS that told me to go for the 7.1, i think there will be more than enough surround coverage.

I may wind up regretting it but I doubt it. The surrounds are all pretty close to the seating area. I will definitely post some comments about it when the room is done and i have listened for a while.

Rob

post #117 of 290 Old 01-20-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Carpet is installed!
Fabric panels are up!

No blabbing, here's the pics!

Close up of the carpet

Looking at the back wall. Got to change that floor vent!

Screen wall shots. Screen going in soon! Speaker colums with be covered with acoustically transparent fabric so you wont see them.

Window was covered up with a removable fabric panel. I was able to purchase the same microsuede fabric used in the Berkline chairs (thanks Roman) so I used it for the window panel.

I love the way the equipment rack shelves came out!

A few more misc pics

Tomorrow I'll be hanging the projector and starting to set u psome of the chairs

Rob

post #118 of 290 Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rob

post #119 of 290 Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 AM

Rob,

Looking great! I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" a few of your ideas.

The wife and I really like the wood panels mixed with the GOM. Very sharp!

BR
post #120 of 290 Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrock66 View Post

Rob,

Looking great! I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" a few of your ideas.

The wife and I really like the wood panels mixed with the GOM. Very sharp!

BR

Borrow away! I need to find a better way to take pictures. They do not do the room justice and the dark setting makes everything look too blurry.

Rob

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page