New Space - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 523 Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good review!
So the picture quality comparing to the Stewart 130 is similar?
How's the light output on the R35?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 523 Old 04-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sounds awesome Rob and reading this makes me wish I could go AT!
How's the brightness with your RS-35? It might be good to pick up a light meter so you can measure the brightness as the bulb ages, and also do before/after readings when and if you clean the prism.
post #393 of 523 Old 04-25-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

Now that you have the LCR behind the screen do you find the Heights contribute less? I've read that in a non-AT setup they are suppose to 'raise' the sound.

Louis

I love the height speakers and Avitar with all of the flying scenes, really brought out the best in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

Good review!
So the picture quality comparing to the Stewart 130 is similar?
How's the light output on the R35?

Best comment I can make is I will be keeping the Seymour. While I'm not a videophile, I did not (nor did anyone else) notice reduced brightness with the Seymour. I'm going to have a HT Meet in June but if you want to check it out before that, let me know.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #394 of 523 Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

Sounds awesome Rob and reading this makes me wish I could go AT!
How's the brightness with your RS-35? It might be good to pick up a light meter so you can measure the brightness as the bulb ages, and also do before/after readings when and if you clean the prism.

Thanks Peter, I think the brightness of the Seymour is very close to the Stewart.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced light meter?

HToM

post #395 of 523 Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 PM

RMK - the room continues to shine - very inspirational.

I am about to place my screen order, and was going for the exact same thing you just installed - the Seymour AT 16:9 126" diagonal. However, my seating area is only about 10.5 feet away from the screen. In your opinion, am I going too big? I haven't installed sound yet, but have been running my new projector for 20 minute sessions against the wall from 10.5 feet. While the 126" diagonal is certainly huge, it doesn't seem outrageous even from that viewing distance.

Good..... Bad..... I'm the guy with the gun.
"Theater in the Thicket" dedicated build thread
post #396 of 523 Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minpin View Post

RMK - the room continues to shine - very inspirational.

I am about to place my screen order, and was going for the exact same thing you just installed - the Seymour AT 16:9 126" diagonal. However, my seating area is only about 10.5 feet away from the screen. In your opinion, am I going too big? I haven't installed sound yet, but have been running my new projector for 20 minute sessions against the wall from 10.5 feet. While the 126" diagonal is certainly huge, it doesn't seem outrageous even from that viewing distance.

Thanks

This is a personal preference thing. It is good that you are trying out the screen size(s) by projecting on the wall. I'm 13' from the 126" screen and it is working out great. I think for scope movies bigger is better but with a 16:9 source I would not want to go larger than the 126".

HToM

post #397 of 523 Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a pictureof the speakers as setup behind the screen. I had to rework the acoustic panels and removed the grill covers from the LCR's.

Here is a picture of the back of the screen that show the XD fabrics transparency.

HToM

post #398 of 523 Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
WOW
I really don't what else to say. That looks incredible. Glad it worked out for you. I wish I had a bigger room. Enjoy your new video setup. I am sure that going to the movies now would be a big let down coming from this theater.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #399 of 523 Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I went back and saw that you have the Integra 80.1. That is what I am looking at now. Parasound totally dumped the C3 project. Of all the in store options I have Integra seems to be the best. I have Anthem. But I asked Jeff and he felt that would be a step back from what I have sonically. I also have B&K and Sunfire. Not sure about the B&K or SunFire. I also have Arcam and Krell. Not sold on Arcam and Krell is too expensive. Also, Classe and Lexicon would be too expensive for the models I would need. I can get Denon, but again, that would be really stretching my budget. The Integra looks real solid. I think that is the one that I will get. I can assume that you still like it since you have it in your system?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #400 of 523 Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I went back and saw that you have the Integra 80.1. That is what I am looking at now. Parasound totally dumped the C3 project. Of all the in store options I have Integra seems to be the best. I have Anthem. But I asked Jeff and he felt that would be a step back from what I have sonically. I also have B&K and Sunfire. Not sure about the B&K or SunFire. I also have Arcam and Krell. Not sold on Arcam and Krell is too expensive. Also, Classe and Lexicon would be too expensive for the models I would need. I can get Denon, but again, that would be really stretching my budget. The Integra looks real solid. I think that is the one that I will get. I can assume that you still like it since you have it in your system?

The 80.1 is a nice processor. For me, the main advantage over my previous (and very similar) Integra 9.8 was the 9.2 capability and Audyssey Dynamic EQ. Others claim better analog audio performance withthe 80.1 but I am only using HDMI so can't comment.

Honestly, if you don't care about the 9.2 or Dynamic EQ, I'd get a used 9.8 or 9.9 (or Onkyo 885/886) for around $1K and be happy with a few extra shekels in my pocket..

HToM

post #401 of 523 Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The 80.1 is a nice processor. For me, the main advantage over my previous (and very similar) Integra 9.8 was the 9.2 capability and Audyssey Dynamic EQ. Others claim better analog audio performance withthe 80.1 but I am only using HDMI so can't comment.

Honestly, if you don't care about the 9.2 or Dynamic EQ, I'd get a used 9.8 or 9.9 (or Onkyo 885/886) for around $1K and be happy with a few extra shekels in my pocket..

Thanks. Now that I have had time to relax a bit. I will just sit back and wait. I mean I am only running a 5.1 system in a small room. As is, the Halo C2 does sound very good even though I am only getting the "core" audio from my PS3. I think I will wait and see what Jeff can do with my system before I drive myself crazy thinking about what preamp to get.

My System

post #402 of 523 Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Now that I have had time to relax a bit. I will just sit back and wait. I mean I am only running a 5.1 system in a small room. As is, the Halo C2 does sound very good even though I am only getting the "core" audio from my PS3. I think I will wait and see what Jeff can do with my system before I drive myself crazy thinking about what preamp to get.

Measure twice, cut once ...

HToM

post #403 of 523 Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Due to the frustration with HTPC’s inability to deal with the Bluray format not to mentioned HD audio, I decided to get one of the Sony auto changers (BDP-CX960). I bought the cheaper one (I could see no good reason to get the BDP-CX7000ES at over twice the price) and it really has been great. I jury rigged my home made AV cabinet to accommodate the large unit and loaded it with over 100 Blurays, DVD’s and some CD’s. There was a lot of criticism of the UI of the unit but I find it easy to navigate and very cool.

The biggest complication was having to add a wireless bridge to my HT closet so that the unit could access the Gracenote database for disk information and cover art. It took about 30 minutes to load the disks and another hour or so to find and load the disk info from Gracenote.Gracenote only missed 7 disks out of the over 100 loaded (400 is capicity) and that was no surprise as they were import or esoteric titles. The unit also noted the need for, then upgraded the firmware using this Web connection.

Overall I am very impressed with the BDP-960. I wish it could handle SACD (hello Sony ) and DVD-A formats but I still have the Oppo BDP-83 for those. Browsing my disk collection has been fun (load times are a little SLOW) and I can waste a lot more time in the HT room now that all the disks are at my fingertips . Now I need to cull through my CD's and load the best 200 or so.

It is a LARGE unit so I'm glad it's hidden in the Equip closet.

HToM

post #404 of 523 Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
RMK,

Thanks, I've been waiting for someone to comment on the new Sony Bluray changers!

That unit is HUGE!
Sounds like a "someday" upgrade for me. Have you had a chance to check out the DVD up-conversion quality?

I do not have either the patience or skill sets to get into "ripping and HTPC maneuvers to store BR's on hard disks"

(although I do have to tip my hat to those who are getting it done (Shawn/ CD/ Smaks, and many others)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #405 of 523 Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

RMK,

Thanks, I've been waiting for someone to comment on the new Sony Bluray changers!

That unit is HUGE!
Sounds like a "someday" upgrade for me. Have you had a chance to check out the DVD up-conversion quality?

I do not have either the patience or skill sets to get into "ripping and HTPC maneuvers to store BR's on hard disks"

(although I do have to tip my hat to those who are getting it done (Shawn/ CD/ Smaks, and many others)

Hi cuzed2,

Yes, it is LARGE but since it holds 400 disks it seems about right. Like you, I lacked the resolve to build an HTPC when I considered all of the potential snags (although I share your regard for those brave souls who are "getting it done" ). I chose the easy route to getting my Blurays, DVD's and CD's "online" . The street price of this changer makes it kind of a no-brainer for a techno troglodyte like me.

I have played a few DVD's and the up-scaling is being done by my Integra 80.1 SSP and its Reon Scaler so the DVD's look fine. I also have the Oppo BDP-83 so I wasn't worried about that capability with the Sony.

Overall I have to say it is a very nice unit for the price.

HToM

post #406 of 523 Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Sounds Good !

I know it can't be posted here; Seems I should check the street pricing as it may be about to hit my affordability threshold

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #407 of 523 Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I read where you are getting some Orbit Shifters. Are they replacing something or, heaven forbid, in addition too what you already have?

My System

post #408 of 523 Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read where you are getting some Orbit Shifters. Are they replacing something or, heaven forbid, in addition too what you already have?

I am simplifying my system and unfortunately, it was necessary to make room for the Orbit Shifters so I sold the Danley THSPUDS and the Captivators will also be leaving. Based upon specifications alone, I'm guessing that the dual Orbit Shifters will provide enough bass for the room .

HToM

post #409 of 523 Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am simplifying my system and unfortunately, it was necessary to make room for the Orbit Shifters so I sold the Danley THSPUDS and the Captivators will also be leaving. Based upon specifications alone, I'm guessing that the dual Orbit Shifters will provide enough bass for the room .

Are the Orbit Shifters replacing the THSPUDS as risers?
post #410 of 523 Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, it does look like some serious woofage going on with those subs. What kind of drivers do they use? Can't wait to see what they look like in your theater. Congrats

My System

post #411 of 523 Old 05-11-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

Are the Orbit Shifters replacing the THSPUDS as risers?

No, some DF 2X12's will be replacing them as risers.

HToM

post #412 of 523 Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Wow..amazing thread!!

I have been spending the last couple of months touring local shops and listening to "high end" speaker systems for my upcoming dedicated theater. About a month or so ago, I found this forum and it has led me in a whole new direction.

I couldn't find much of anything locally that produced the sound, clarity, etc that I was looking for and still had the juice to knock you out of your seat. In the last couple of weeks, I have read more and more of these threads, as well as had telephone conversations with Mark Seaton and Jeff P. (both are great BTW). I am excited about my theater all over again, just need to get out to one of these meets from CT. so I can get a good listen.

RMK...You have an awesome theater, and thank you for taking the time to document your changes and impression. Yourself and fugueness have helped me very much, just by doing this and allowing me to peak in on what you guys are doing.(I am admittedly very new to this and depend on lots of reading and accounts from knowledgeable individuals such as yourself and fug.
post #413 of 523 Old 05-12-2010, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

That is pretty impressive that you will be replacing those four subs with two of the shifters. Can't wait to see what they look like in the room. I am sure when Jeff gets up to see you he will have some fun with your system. Especially after he does my little system.

My System

post #414 of 523 Old 05-15-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is pretty impressive that you will be replacing those four subs with two of the shifters. Can't wait to see what they look like in the room. I am sure when Jeff gets up to see you he will have some fun with your system. Especially after he does my little system.

Hopefully they (Orbit Shifters) won't be seen. I'm building a couple of custom sub grill covers for the OS's that will make them stealth. By adding these large (60" wide) grills except for the screen, I will have floor to ceiling black with only 8-10" on each side of the screen not covered so I'm about 90% of the way to a false wall. This begs the question, "why not just build a false wall"? ... Once again, I did it my way ...

Today I was busy performing a sucessful Danley-ecotomy on my riser. Typical of me to buy Danley when no one else was ... and then when they get popular I sell. Bit of a contrarian I guess

In any case, the Dual Captivators are performing admirably and the new owner of the TH-SPUDS is having fun with them. It's all good.

HToM

post #415 of 523 Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

RMK and others, please ignore my foolishness but what the heck is this orbit shifter? I googled and read the other thread here on AVS, but I guess I'm missing the boat other than these are some serious subwoofers. Could one of you guys explain it a little better, maybe with pictures? Thanks.

Also, RMK how are you liking the AT screen? I'm thinking about trying one out and wanted to know what your thoughts are having used it for a while.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #416 of 523 Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Wow..amazing thread!!

I have been spending the last couple of months touring local shops and listening to "high end" speaker systems for my upcoming dedicated theater. About a month or so ago, I found this forum and it has led me in a whole new direction.

I couldn't find much of anything locally that produced the sound, clarity, etc that I was looking for and still had the juice to knock you out of your seat. In the last couple of weeks, I have read more and more of these threads, as well as had telephone conversations with Mark Seaton and Jeff P. (both are great BTW). I am excited about my theater all over again, just need to get out to one of these meets from CT. so I can get a good listen.

RMK...You have an awesome theater, and thank you for taking the time to document your changes and impression. Yourself and fugueness have helped me very much, just by doing this and allowing me to peak in on what you guys are doing.(I am admittedly very new to this and depend on lots of reading and accounts from knowledgeable individuals such as yourself and fug.

Thank you ChopShop1,

You are welcome to have a demo of my system any time you are in the area. It was just such a demo at Fugueness's home that put me on my current HT audio track and I'm happy to do the same for others.

I consider myself a neophyte in AV and much of the "science" still eludes me. I have spent many hours at the keyboard and out in actual product demos trying to get my HT to sound and look "right". This Thread provides me with an audit trail of my frequent tweaking in trying to achieve a goal that has been a moving target from the very beginning. It is a nice side benefit that others can gain something from my experiences.

HToM

post #417 of 523 Old 05-16-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post

RMK and others, please ignore my foolishness but what the heck is this orbit shifter? I googled and read the other thread here on AVS, but I guess I'm missing the boat other than these are some serious subwoofers. Could one of you guys explain it a little better, maybe with pictures? Thanks.

Also, RMK how are you liking the AT screen? I'm thinking about trying one out and wanted to know what your thoughts are having used it for a while.

Hi Grady,

The Orbit Shifter is JTR Speakers attempt to throw the planet off its axis and I am but an unwitting accomplice in this diabolical plan to alter the space-time continuum. To put it another way (as you correctly guessed) it is a big a$$ed subwoofer . The OS (as I prefer to call it) is a large horn sub with a new custom 18" driver and a very powerful 4Kw amp. No pictures exist yet but many will be taken the week June 7 as that is the ETA for a pair of them in my HT.

Regarding the Seymour AT screen, it is fantastic. The larger size has been fun and both the picture and audio quality have exceeded my expecations. I just wish I had done it sooner.

HToM

post #418 of 523 Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The Orbit Shifter is JTR Speakers attempt to throw the planet off its axis and I am but an unwitting accomplice in this diabolical plan to alter the space-time continuum.

Altering space-time continuum will allow me to be in two places at the sametime
post #419 of 523 Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Altering space-time continuum will allow me to be in two places at the sametime

So there's a method in your madness ...

HToM

post #420 of 523 Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:

The Orbit Shifter is JTR Speakers attempt to throw the planet off its axis and I am but an unwitting accomplice in this diabolical plan to alter the space-time continuum.

Maybe I'm a little naive in the ways of diabolical plans, but if you have two of them, pointed in opposite directions, won't they offset each other and leave our planet in the correct orbit?

Either that or it will split your theater and maybe earth in half.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page