Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 523 Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Here is a pictureof the speakers as setup behind the screen. I had to rework the acoustic panels and removed the grill covers from the LCR's.

Here is a picture of the back of the screen that show the XD fabrics transparency.

After having spent some time with your soundstage elevated, do you feel any differently about your height speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 523 Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffe67 View Post

After having spent some time with your soundstage elevated, do you feel any differently about your height speakers?

Actually no, I have grown to love the expansive front soundstage (height and width). Since they are above and slightly outboard of the mains, the S8 heights add quite a bit to that sensation. Overall it is even more immersive with the AT screen and elevated mains.

IMO, 9 channels and powerful subs are the ticket.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #423 of 523 Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
IMO, 9 channels and powerful subs are the ticket.

If I only had the space!

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #424 of 523 Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Next Thurs Jeff is coming to my house. I can give you an update then. I can't wait . I am sure that your system will be very fun for him to be let loose on.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #425 of 523 Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Rob, I figured that I would post my thoughts here instead of a PM.
Jeff just left a little while ago. He is the man. He did a great job on my system. With the video we ended up using the THX mode as a starting point. In the custom mode he just could not get the Gamma to be where he wanted it to be. I got the impression that Gamma was very important. So we used THX as the base line and just went from there. By not using custom he was limited in what he could do because some of the choices are only available in Custom and not THX. He would change something and then measure and tweak and do it again until it was looking the way he wanted it to. I was impressed with the results. Movies look fantastic now.

As far as the audio goes the difference is immense. First of all the, machine he uses to measure RT time has perfection at 200 mili secs. I guess it is mili secs. My room is at 185. So that part was good. He said that I should not add any more treatments at all. But he made some changes in the distance settings and he also used the bass and treble controls to fine tune the sound. Now I can go way higher on the level without it hurting. -8db on my Halo is now Reference for me. He was really happy with how the sound ended up and so was I. We also talked about if it is needed for me to get the "true" HD audio formats. He said that you really only will hear the difference if you are very close or at Reference. Even now, I am not sure how close I will get to that. I may leave well enough alone.
I can only imagine what he will do with your system. It took him from 9am to about 2:30pm to do my system. That is also with some chit chat breaks. I have no doubt that you will be thrilled with the resluts.
Mike

My System
post #426 of 523 Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Hey Rob, I figured that I would post my thoughts here instead of a PM.
Jeff just left a little while ago. He is the man. He did a great job on my system. With the video we ended up using the THX mode as a starting point. In the custom mode he just could not get the Gamma to be where he wanted it to be. I got the impression that Gamma was very important. So we used THX as the base line and just went from there. By not using custom he was limited in what he could do because some of the choices are only available in Custom and not THX. He would change something and then measure and tweak and do it again until it was looking the way he wanted it to. I was impressed with the results. Movies look fantastic now.

As far as the audio goes the difference is immense. First of all the, machine he uses to measure RT time has perfection at 200 mili secs. I guess it is mili secs. My room is at 185. So that part was good. He said that I should not add any more treatments at all. But he made some changes in the distance settings and he also used the bass and treble controls to fine tune the sound. Now I can go way higher on the level without it hurting. -8db on my Halo is now Reference for me. He was really happy with how the sound ended up and so was I. We also talked about if it is needed for me to get the "true" HD audio formats. He said that you really only will hear the difference if you are very close or at Reference. Even now, I am not sure how close I will get to that. I may leave well enough alone.
I can only imagine what he will do with your system. It took him from 9am to about 2:30pm to do my system. That is also with some chit chat breaks. I have no doubt that you will be thrilled with the resluts.
Mike

Thanks for the update Mike. Good to hear that Jeff was able to make your system look and sound better. I am looking forward to seeing him in action. Should be fun and interesting.

HToM

post #427 of 523 Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

ETA on the Shifters?

My System
post #428 of 523 Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

ETA on the Shifters?

I should have the Orbit Shifters plus new LCR's on June 10th. Jeff Meier is due in on the evening of the 11th and my GTG is the afternoon of the 12th. Not much wiggle room .

HToM

post #429 of 523 Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Time for some serious World Cup football
post #430 of 523 Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Time for some serious World Cup football

You mean Soccer?

HToM

post #431 of 523 Old 06-04-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should have the Orbit Shifters plus new LCR's on June 10th. Jeff Meier is due in on the evening of the 11th and my GTG is the afternoon of the 12th. Not much wiggle room .

Great. I am sure it will all work out. But if Jeff is coming in the evening and he is only staying that evening, be prepared for a long night. Mine took about 5 hours and my system is much simpler than yours. Looking forward to hearing about the setup and results. Besides trying to find a processor that has an EQ function and meets my other needs, I am probably done. Can't believe I actually said that.

My System
post #432 of 523 Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

So RMK!, have you seen any sun light since Jeff has Calibrated your audio and video? I have been experimenting with how loud I can go. Jeff told me that Reference for me is now -8db on my Halo. Before, I could put my system to about -17db or -18db(as noted on my Halo C2 display). But at that point I had no idea what reference was. On a wild day I could maybe stand -16db. Now, with the calibration done I can all the way to -15db(on my Halo display) with no problem. that is 7db from reference. I might even be able to get to 5db. In my small room I would not try and go louder than that. How about you. can you get to full reference? You can get about 125db from those subs and your system right? Doesn't that hurt?

My System
post #433 of 523 Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

So RMK!, have you seen any sun light since Jeff has Calibrated your audio and video? I have been experimenting with how loud I can go. Jeff told me that Reference for me is now -8db on my Halo. Before, I could put my system to about -17db or -18db(as noted on my Halo C2 display). But at that point I had no idea what reference was. On a wild day I could maybe stand -16db. Now, with the calibration done I can all the way to -15db(on my Halo display) with no problem. that is 7db from reference. I might even be able to get to 5db. In my small room I would not try and go louder than that. How about you. can you get to full reference? You can get about 125db from those subs and your system right? Doesn't that hurt?

I have been really busy so haven't spent as much time in the HT as I would like. Jeff's (UMR) video calibration is an unqualified success. He is such a perfectionist that when given a good product to work with he will bring the best out of it.

Regarding audio that is less clear (no pun intended) , I have been using Audysey rather then Jeff's manual calibration setting in my Integra and I'm not sure why . There is a certain smoothness to Audyssey that I have become acoustomed to. It may well be that Jeff's calibrqation is more accurate to the source. I plan on doing more critical listening to see if I can be more specific in my comments.

HToM

post #434 of 523 Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Experimenting is all part of the game. i am going to leave the audio as is. I don't have any EQ so there is really nothing for me to mess with. It sounds so good as is. For video, I know that Jeff did not like the "Custom" mode because he could not get the Gamma the way he wanted. But I have messed with it and I really like the results I got. I still like the THX mode that he used as well. I will probably go back and forth between the two of them.

My System
post #435 of 523 Old 07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I did not want to take up the Shifter thread with this. But your help and being able to talk to you about the traps I got is part of the reason my room sounds so good. Bryan talked about traps on the ceiling but you also said how important they were. Seeing them in your room gave me the courage to put more then I originaly planed for. So thanks to you, my small room really does sound very good. And as I quoted in the other thread, Craig feels that it sounded even better then in measured. So again, I have to give you some credit for that.

My System
post #436 of 523 Old 07-01-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

I did not want to take up the Shifter thread with this. But your help and being able to talk to you about the traps I got is part of the reason my room sounds so good. Bryan talked about traps on the ceiling but you also said how important they were. Seeing them in your room gave me the courage to put more then I originaly planed for. So thanks to you, my small room really does sound very good. And as I quoted in the other thread, Craig feels that it sounded even better then in measured. So again, I have to give you some credit for that.

No problem Mike. I'm glad I could help and I'm very happy your room is giving you so much satisfaction. I have received a lot of advice from folks on this Forum and for me it is a logical quid pro quo to share what I have learned with others. Makes the hobby more interesting and fun.

HToM

post #437 of 523 Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Really glad these subs are working out so well for you. Sort of like me and the SubMersive. In my room, taking into considerations the limits I have in the room, I really don't think there is anything better out there for me. Next step for me is a new preamp that does what I need it to do. So far, the upcoming Marantz pre looks very promising. Looking forward to seeing those graphs and maybe some more feed back on how scary those things are.

My System
post #438 of 523 Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Where's RMK? Did the latest JTR's really cure upgradeist?
post #439 of 523 Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Where's RMK? Did the latest JTR's really cure upgradeist?

Short answer ... YES!

HToM

post #440 of 523 Old 08-23-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Where are the pictures?

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #441 of 523 Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post

Where are the pictures?

I had posted some new pics in the JTR Orbit Shifter Thread but never here. I don't have any of the new Triple 12's as they are behind the Seymour AT screen but here are a couple of shots of the new front end.

Dual Orbit Shifters (the L&R Triple 12's are on top of the subs on Great Gramma isolation pads).

With the custom grill I made to "disguise" the subs.

Orbit Shifters and grill detail (top view)

Playing some favorite bass scenes (FTOP barrel roll scene) and Incredible Hulk sound canon are unbelievable with these subs .

HToM

post #442 of 523 Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

My System
post #443 of 523 Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Just completed your thread, what a wonderful read! Great job. The progression, and the choices you made really seemed appropriate for that space. I may be wrong, however it seems to me that abandoning the Revels, and the switch to the T12s, launched you into a mission to really create an immersive total experience.

Thank you for your contributions.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #444 of 523 Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Some reflections,

After nearly 10 years of playing, testing and tweaking various speaker and video combinations I have reached a point of completion. My systems sounds and looks (video wise) as good as it can without going to an entirely purpose built and heavily engineered room (ain't gonna happen). After watching a film with some friends who have been along for the entire journey, I asked for their take on this whole process and what specific features have the most dramatic effect on the movie/concert watching experience. Their responses did not surprise me but I thought they were interesting.

The systems current pro audio derived speaker setup and improved audio dynamics with almost limitless headroom was the number one comment. That is in comparison to my audiophile (sweet sounding) speaker days. The larger AT screen and the LCR’s being directly behind it as well as the video quality was a close second. Basically they said that it is a “perfect” blend of audio/video immersion that achieves what one person described as “absolutely the best movie watching experience ever”. Another interesting comment was the HT chairs. The comfort factor of having powered fully adjustable seating with reasonable viewing distance and angle when sitting for a couple of hours is huge. I am under no illusion that my room esthetic's are anything to write home about. There are certainly many examples of absolutely beautiful rooms with lavish decorations on this and other websites, but I was only concerned with how it looked and sounded with the lights out.

As it turns out, there is a big difference in having an HT which is a surround sound system with a TV in a family living space and a true dedicated theater in your home space. I know this because that was my progression and the differences are not subtle. I realize that this is outside of the rational scope of most people’s lives and is an odd priority use of livable space in a modern home. It works for me because my home is fairly large and life circumstances force me to be home a good portion of the time. Having a high quality source of entertainment at home became a priority for me and I also enjoyed doing the work myself as a hobby. Now that it is “done” (I can always make changes for changes sake ;-) the hobby factor has diminished so I need to find another outlet to fill the gap.

Any suggestions? … I’m thinking something outdoorsy like golf …

HToM

post #445 of 523 Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Wow!

HT Self Actualization

A very rare occurrence, and certainly one that rarely finds these pages!

Pursuits? ...non HT related; I'd suggest photography, or Kama Sutra

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #446 of 523 Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Any suggestions? I'm thinking something outdoorsy like golf

Golf is good! Bigger screen, more bass, more lumens, 3D, 4K - also good!
post #447 of 523 Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

+1

Btw, where are the pics on those new seats?
post #448 of 523 Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

Trying to keep up with you is a loosing proposition Peter .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

+1

Btw, where are the pics on those new seats?

Why don't you come look for yourself Wilson. Maybe I'll sell them to you cheap as the leather color doesn't match by back row seats and that grinds my gears.

HToM

post #449 of 523 Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Just completed your thread, what a wonderful read! Great job. The progression, and the choices you made really seemed appropriate for that space. I may be wrong, however it seems to me that abandoning the Revels, and the switch to the T12s, launched you into a mission to really create an immersive total experience.

Thank you for your contributions.

Thank you for the feedback. You are correct re the Revels vs JTR's and the results are as hoped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Wow!

HT Self Actualization

A very rare occurrence, and certainly one that rarely finds these pages!

Pursuits? ...non HT related; I'd suggest photography, or Kama Sutra

Again, thanks. It has been a fun if unscientific journey . Good call on photography and the Kama Sutra is an oft relied upon text.

HToM

post #450 of 523 Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Hi cuzed2,

Yes, it is LARGE but since it holds 400 disks it seems about right. Like you, I lacked the resolve to build an HTPC when I considered all of the potential snags (although I share your regard for those brave souls who are "getting it done" ). I chose the easy route to getting my Blurays, DVD's and CD's "online" . The street price of this changer makes it kind of a no-brainer for a techno troglodyte like me.

I have played a few DVD's and the up-scaling is being done by my Integra 80.1 SSP and its Reon Scaler so the DVD's look fine. I also have the Oppo BDP-83 so I wasn't worried about that capability with the Sony.

Overall I have to say it is a very nice unit for the price.
RMK,

First Off congrats on pronouncing your HT space complete. This has been a great thread to follow - thanks for sharing!

Next Up - Appreciate you sharing the comments about the changer - I have since installed one of my own and although not perfect >> it is very slick and very convenient. One of my better upgrades. And to take it a step further I purchased the "Invelios" (sp?) DVD profiler software. From this software you can make custom reports to list your collection. I have used this to produce a coffee table book to accompany the CX960.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page