Señor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
RMK,

First Off congrats on pronouncing your HT space complete. This has been a great thread to follow - thanks for sharing!

Next Up - Appreciate you sharing the comments about the changer - I have since installed one of my own and although not perfect >> it is very slick and very convenient. One of my better upgrades. And to take it a step further I purchased the "Invelios" (sp?) DVD profiler software. From this software you can make custom reports to list your collection. I have used this to produce a coffee table book to accompany the CX960.
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the nice comments. I enjoyed checking out your build thread as well .

Regarding the Sony CX, I got wind of the closeout pricing on the CX 7000ES's and picked one up for $399 and sold my CX960. No difference really and a lateral move as I am unlikely to use the RS232 capability. I agree it is a very cool solution for those of us who want Bluray (with uncompressed audio), DVD and CD from a single selectable source. The menu system is not ideal but works fine for my limited use.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 523 Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Good call on photography

Let me know if you want any pointers!
post #453 of 523 Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

And not one comment going from the XD screen to the E4k? Not even a simple thank you?
post #454 of 523 Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

Umm, you have seen my photographic efforts in this thread, right?

HToM

post #455 of 523 Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I really dig what you have done to your room. I think I saw the speakers switch out three times in the first 3 pages. Anyway...I like how it is still a room that you can chill in and feels like a normal room in the house. Some of the home theaters on this thread are very cool, but I like the approach you took and is more like what I would do if I could afford it. Very nicely done. I bet it sounds amazing.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #456 of 523 Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I really dig what you have done to your room. I think I saw the speakers switch out three times in the first 3 pages. Anyway...I like how it is still a room that you can chill in and feels like a normal room in the house. Some of the home theaters on this thread are very cool, but I like the approach you took and is more like what I would do if I could afford it. Very nicely done. I bet it sounds amazing.

Thanks for looking and the nice comments. It is a fun room for movie watching but I do listen to music there as well. My original concept was for a more multi purpose room and but it quickly morphed into a dedicated HT space. I am fortunate that the house allows for this without too much compromise (being single helps ).

HToM

post #457 of 523 Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

I was asked to resurrect this Thread from it's dormant state but there really is nothing to update. I did get new front row seats adding one seat for a 7 seater with overflow being a couple of large bean bag chairs. 9 is the most folks I have had for a movie and it worked out fine. Some of the HT's I've seen here are really amazing and mine is definitely Plain Jane by comparison but it is comfortable and the A/V (especially the sound) are IMO, top notch.

The HT continues to be a great way for friends and family to get together and I don't regret hours/dollars spent or, dedicating that much living space to this specific purpose. It's all good ...

The front end:

The brown panel to the left of the screen is a non-reflective cover I made for a 27" LCD (my SSP has two HDMI Outs). That display is used for lights on music listening or an occasional system tweaking.
The Seats:

I have two custom acoustic panels that exactly fit the two windows in the room for daylight movie watching.

One final note, the addition of Audyssey XT32 via a new SSP (Integra 80.3) has made a significant improvement in the systems overall SQ. Guess there have been a few changes since the last post ...

HToM

post #458 of 523 Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Room looks great!

And your dog in that pose -reminds me of the old RCA/Victor dog listening to the grammo-phone

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #459 of 523 Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Damn. That still looks like a fantastic room. As far as equipment goes I think this is
what I know you have
JTR speakers
2 orbital shifters
JTR surrounds
106" screen
JVC HD100 projector
Integra 80.3
Sony BR multi disk changer
Great looking chairs
did I miss anything?
That looks like one top notch system. I agree on the XT32. It did wonders for my small system. Plus, I just realized that in the Integra 80.2 I had the video output set wrong. I had it on 480p. DOH. So I switched it to 1080p/24 and the difference was almost mind blowing on my 42in plasma. But Your system seems to be complete. I hope you really enjoy it.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #460 of 523 Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Damn. That still looks like a fantastic room. As far as equipment goes I think this is
what I know you have
JTR speakers
2 orbital shifters
JTR surrounds
106" screen
JVC HD100 projector
Integra 80.3
Sony BR multi disk changer
Great looking chairs
a media center
did I miss anything?
That looks like one top notch system. I agree on the XT32. It did wonders for my small system. Plus, I just realized that in the Integra 80.2 I had the video output set wrong. I had it on 480p. DOH. So I switched it to 1080p/24 and the difference was almost mind blowing on my 42in plasma. But Your system seems to be complete. I hope you really enjoy it.

Thanks Mike, you are a true gentleman and have a great system yourself.
Actually, no media center and there are two "upgrades" you missed. I upgraded the projector and screen last year to a JVC RS35 and Seymour XD 130" AT respectively. The new PJ and bigger AT screen were huge upgrades. For me, having a big AT screen is the key to a really cool HT movie/concert experience.

Thanks again for the nice comments and welcome to 1080P .

HToM

post #461 of 523 Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Yea, it's great to be in the land of the 1080p people. Thanks for the nice words also. That is a sweet projector and screen. I don't know if this is funny or sad. But I have been down-coverting the BR to 480p since I bought everything back in Nov of 2010. I mean, it's not like dvd's and BR's looked bad, because the did not. What prompted this was the fact that I like to watch this Anime(Bleach) at home on my TV. I knew they were not high def since I was burning AVI files. So, I asked if I could "upconvert" them to 1080p. I was told yep, and was told how to do it. In the menu I saw that the output was set to 480p. I said... HMMMM. I wonder if BR are still played back at the right resoulution if it is set to that. So, I put in a BR, paused a scene and scrolled through the options. Wouldn't you know it, the BR looked better the higher I went. So now when I watch a regular DVD I put it to 1080p and when I watch a BR I put it to 1080p/24. I just can not get over how much better the picture looks. Just goes to show you how important setup really is. Anyway, enough of my stuff in your thread. I am sure that your system looks fantasic with that projector and that size screen. In a few years I might try and get a 50" in my room but that's it. Again, yours is a model I use on how to do it right. Starting with me seeing your treatments. Anyway, enjoy that setup .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #462 of 523 Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 AM

Liked: 15
Hi RMK,

I was wondering about your selection of speaker cable and amplification? Apologies if you have mentioned this before. There must be quite a bit of wire in your ceilings!

Cheers
DJ
post #463 of 523 Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiwi View Post

Hi RMK,

I was wondering about your selection of speaker cable and amplification? Apologies if you have mentioned this before. There must be quite a bit of wire in your ceilings!

Cheers
DJ

Hi DJ,

I used monoprice 12ga in-wall rated wire for all speakers. Used most of a 250' spool.

My amps are Wyred 4 Sound and I have a 7 channel for the "normal" channels (1000wpc @ 4ohms for LCR and 500wpc for the remainder) and a stereo amp for the height channels.

HToM

post #464 of 523 Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hopefully they (Orbit Shifters) won't be seen. I'm building a couple of custom sub grill covers for the OS's that will make them stealth. By adding these large (60" wide) grills except for the screen, I will have floor to ceiling black with only 8-10" on each side of the screen not covered so I'm about 90% of the way to a false wall. This begs the question, "why not just build a false wall"? ... Once again, I did it my way ...

Today I was busy performing a sucessful Danley-ecotomy on my riser. Typical of me to buy Danley when no one else was ... and then when they get popular I sell. Bit of a contrarian I guess

In any case, the Dual Captivators are performing admirably and the new owner of the TH-SPUDS is having fun with them. It's all good.

What do the Danley thspuds run, price-wise?
post #465 of 523 Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

What do the Danley thspuds run, price-wise?

As I recall they were $2250 ea for passive with a pretty heavy shipping charge. Hard to justify these days but they did make for a very cool solution for an under riser sub.

HToM

post #466 of 523 Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks Mike, you are a true gentleman and have a great system yourself.
Actually, no media center and there are two "upgrades" you missed. I upgraded the projector and screen last year to a JVC RS35 and Seymour XD 130" AT respectively. The new PJ and bigger AT screen were huge upgrades. For me, having a big AT screen is the key to a really cool HT movie/concert experience.

Thanks again for the nice comments and welcome to 1080P .

To further breakdown your setup... You have 3 T12s up front with S8 front highs and T8s for surround and another pair of S8 as rears? Is that correct? 9 speakers, not including the subs. Do you think that same setup would work well in a 23x18x9 ft room?

Anyone live in GA with JTRs? I would like to hear them.
post #467 of 523 Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

To further breakdown your setup... You have 3 T12s up front with S8 front highs and T8s for surround and another pair of S8 as rears? Is that correct? 9 speakers, not including the subs. Do you think that same setup would work well in a 23x18x9 ft room?

Anyone live in GA with JTRs? I would like to hear them.

Yes, that is my speaker config and your room is about the same size as mine so yes, I think you are on the right track speaker wise. Don't know of any GA owners but Jeff might.

HToM

post #468 of 523 Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Have you found moving from 5.1 to 7.1 or 9.1 is beneficial? I plan to rent most of my movies from my AppleTV (1080p) which only supports 5.1. Not sure if my Pioneer SC-57 would process that and output 7.1 or 9.1.
post #469 of 523 Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

Have you found moving from 5.1 to 7.1 or 9.1 is beneficial? I plan to rent most of my movies from my AppleTV (1080p) which only supports 5.1. Not sure if my Pioneer SC-57 would process that and output 7.1 or 9.1.

I like having 9 speakers and would probably like 11 for movie surround effects. I run 5.1 or stereo for music and prefer it but there are some concert blurays where the 9.2 gives a nice you are there feeling. With CD's, not so much.

I don't know the Pioneer AVR but I think it is their flagship unit (correct?) so I'm sure it can distribute the AppleTV source to all of the speakers using any of the Dolby or DTS surround formats.

HToM

post #470 of 523 Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:

I like having 9 speakers and would probably like 11 for movie surround effects. I run 5.1 or stereo for music and prefer it but there are some concert blurays where the 9.2 gives a nice you are there feeling. With CD's, not so much.

I don't know the Pioneer AVR but I think it is their flagship unit (correct?) so I'm sure it can distribute the AppleTV source to all of the speakers using any of the Dolby or DTS surround formats.

The Pioneer Elite SC-57 is their flagship AVR. (I just heard they are releasing another Elite line in June with 4k pass thru.)

I was looking at JTR T12s vs Adam Audio GTC 88s. Have you heard the GTCs?
post #471 of 523 Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

The Pioneer Elite SC-57 is their flagship AVR. (I just heard they are releasing another Elite line in June with 4k pass thru.)

I was looking at JTR T12s vs Adam Audio GTC 88s. Have you heard the GTCs?

No but I did take a look at the Adam Audio website and they look interesting. There are a lot of good options out there for HT these days and we can't possibly hear them all. Then of course there is your room, seating layout and equipment. I have heard a few of the top performers (Seaton, Danley, Klipsch, Genelac) and they all sound really good. It comes down to subjective personal preference, aesthetics and budget. Oh and don't forget upgradeitis ... cause the grass is always greener .

Regarding the Pioneer, the one area I won't compromise on is powering speakers properly. I went to separates a good while back because an AVR simply could not give me the clean output I wanted in my room. The good news is you can always add an amp or amps later and use the AVR as a pre.

HToM

post #472 of 523 Old 05-04-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:

No but I did take a look at the Adam Audio website and they look interesting. There are a lot of good options out there for HT these days and we can't possibly hear them all. Then of course there is your room, seating layout and equipment. I have heard a few of the top performers (Seaton, Danley, Klipsch, Genelac) and they all sound really good. It comes down to subjective personal preference, aesthetics and budget. Oh and don't forget upgradeitis ... cause the grass is always greener .

Regarding the Pioneer, the one area I won't compromise on is powering speakers properly. I went to separates a good while back because an AVR simply could not give me the clean output I wanted in my room. The good news is you can always add an amp or amps later and use the AVR as a pre.

I agree. I chose a Wyred 4 Sound over powered speakers. I have 1000 watts at 4 ohms into LCR and 500 for 2 rears. I just need to pair some cool speakers with it.
post #473 of 523 Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

I agree. I chose a Wyred 4 Sound over powered speakers. I have 1000 watts at 4 ohms into LCR and 500 for 2 rears. I just need to pair some cool speakers with it.

I have that amp in the 7 channel version plus one of their stereo amps to drive my heights and .... I have cool speakers paired with them.

HToM

post #474 of 523 Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:

I have that amp in the 7 channel version plus one of their stereo amps to drive my heights and .... I have cool speakers paired with them.

Lol
post #475 of 523 Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 AM

I appreciate your input as we seem to be in similar circumstances with our home theater size and focus on movies.

I emailed Jeff and he replied rather quickly and said he felt it was a toss up... when comparing T8 vs T12s for my room (23x18x9).

Have you compared the T8s and T12s as LCRs?

Also, do you suggest room treatments or upgrading speakers first? I have used the MCACC that came with the Pioneer and I do not have a great way to EQ my speakers. Also, I am completely unfamiliar with the process. I also lack a good local guy to help me. I am capable of learning but have no interest in the physics involved. Any suggestions?
post #476 of 523 Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:

I appreciate your input as we seem to be in similar circumstances with our home theater size and focus on movies.

I emailed Jeff and he replied rather quickly and said he felt it was a toss up... when comparing T8 vs T12s for my room (23x18x9).

Have you compared the T8s and T12s as LCRs?

Also, do you suggest room treatments or upgrading speakers first? I have used the MCACC that came with the Pioneer and I do not have a great way to EQ my speakers. Also, I am completely unfamiliar with the process. I also lack a good local guy to help me. I am capable of learning but have no interest in the physics involved. Any suggestions?

If I were in your situation knowing what I now know, I would get the Triple 8's and get an AVR or SSP with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (sell the Pioneer). That EQ system is very easy to use and so good that it eliminates most of the need for room treatments. A few panels on the first reflection points on the side walls would be easy to install (like hanging a picture), inexpensive and probably all you would need. The Triple 12's are very imposing and cool to look at but performance wise they are very close. I'd get the speakers and Audyssey unit first, then treat as necessary.

That's my $.02
Best,
Rob

HToM

post #477 of 523 Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM

I have read your thread and know you have been thru many changes. Sometimes, you cannot beat experience. Thank you.
post #478 of 523 Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:

If I were in your situation knowing what I now know, I would get the Triple 8's and get an AVR or SSP with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (sell the Pioneer). That EQ system is very easy to use and so good that it eliminates most of the need for room treatments. A few panels on the first reflection points on the side walls would be easy to install (like hanging a picture), inexpensive and probably all you would need. The Triple 12's are very imposing and cool to look at but performance wise they are very close. I'd get the speakers and Audyssey unit first, then treat as necessary.

That's my $.02
Best,
Rob

I started looking for stands to put the T8s on and they seem pricey. I need speakers about 40 inches high. I may just go with the T12s due to height.
post #479 of 523 Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I started looking for stands to put the T8s on and they seem pricey. I need speakers about 40 inches high. I may just go with the T12s due to height.

I've been looking for some stands for my T8s as well, and I came to the conclusion that if I want something decent I'm either gonna have to spend a few hundred bucks for each stand or build some. I'm in the process of trying the latter right now. Fingers crossed they turn out good.

Btw, do you need 40" stands or do you need the coax at 40"? If you need 40" stands then I think you're definitely gonna have to build them yourself or get them custom built. Or just get the T12s
post #480 of 523 Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

I've been looking for some stands for my T8s as well, and I came to the conclusion that if I want something decent I'm either gonna have to spend a few hundred bucks for each stand or build some. I'm in the process of trying the latter right now. Fingers crossed they turn out good.

Btw, do you need 40" stands or do you need the coax at 40"? If you need 40" stands then I think you're definitely gonna have to build them yourself or get them custom built. Or just get the T12s

I need speakers that are 40" tall to fit under my screen. The T8s are 26.5" tall... would need a 14" stand.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page