New Space - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 523 Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It would be very hard for a single 18'' horn loaded sub to keep up with 8 18'' drivers. The ultra LF's go handily to the multiple sealed 18's. Probably the rest of the frequency spectrum as well. Really not sure. That is a lot of displacement with all of those drivers.

But, for your size room which is pretty small I think you just need to get to a certain decibel level with a single subwoofer. I am guessing that level is probably somewhere north of reference for most bass heads. Reference bass being peaks of 115 db's. As long as you don't have audible compression in my opinion nothing more is needed in terms of raw output anyway. Everyone's appetite for bass is a little different though. And if you want to have reference level bass down into the single digits it will take some doing.

I would keep the HSU's for modal smoothing. Move them around the room after you get your OS running until you find the point in the room where it smooths the room modes out. I am no expert but there is a lot of info on this forum to help us out.

I have a place for smoothing subs located at the 2/3 point on my side wall. I will be able to put up to 3 18'' subs stacked. Probably DIY. For now I have a little Rythmik. We will see how well (if) it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 523 Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I have heard 2 OS's in the same room before with Jeff at the helm and it was the single most insane bass experience I have ever or will ever have in terms of sheer output and pressurization. I will simply never subject myself to anything more than that. Carp was there too so he can attest to the structural damage that was done on that night!

Definite understatement...................wink.gif

If I could have somehow fit two OS's in my front stage, I would have purchased the Noesis 212's.

Given that fact............I went with Triad for fronts and surrounds......and an S2 for LF. Depending on how the room measures........I might be looking for a Captivator for the rear or look for small subs to fit in my columns to fill.

The Noesis 212's are fantastic speakers........for the money you can't go wrong. IMHO, I felt the Triads were more pleasing to my ears at moderate levels since I'm more likely to listen at -5 to -10. Since my room was designed with treatments for Triads.........I just went that route. I could have easily been a Noesis 212 owner..............
post #513 of 523 Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Looks like I have been remiss in posting to or even looking at this thread. All is well here and I have added an HTPC that is functional but not optimized. I need to look at additional software to streamline the ripping and library functions.

Planning on selling my fixed screen and going back to the dual display but with a larger LCD and a powered AT screen this time. Anyone wanting a nice Seymour 16:9 fixed screen can PM me with an offer. It is 126" diag.

The OS's and Noesis and JTR surrounds are all I will ever need so standing pat there for the foreseeable. cool.gif

Edit:

Foreseeable was apparently 6 months .... tongue.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #514 of 523 Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Been a while since an update to the Build Thread and quite a lot has happened with BIG changes pending (but not those described above smile.gif ).

By BIG I mean that literally as well as figuratively. Gone are the amazing Orbit Shifters and Noesis 212HT-LP LCR's as well as my Slanted 8 height speakers. Also gone (selling soon) is the Seymour AV H110 Center Stage XD (126" daig). It is a completely reasonably question to ask "bigger than these ^ eek.gif and the short answer is yes, quite a bit bigger.

So what is up in my wacky world is the following:

Ordered 3 (LCR) JTR (I assume they will be in the Noesis family) 215T tower speakers. These speakers will have the Noesis 212 CD with a new larger wood horn (the 212 was aluminum) and 2 15" high excursion woofers in each bottom slot ported cabinet. Speaking of the cabinets, they are big ... as in 72"X17"X22" (HWD). These are true full range speakers with a projected frequency range of 18hz-24khz +/-3db, 95db/1w1m.

These speakers will replace the subs and LCR's. They will be run full range (including the LFE channel) and the mixing will be done by a RANE RPM88 Multiprocessor (DSP and Mixer). I am going to try running these monsters with my Wyred 4 Sound 7 channel amp. (front channels have the 1000wpc modules) and I believe (hope) they will drive the 215T's but if necessary, more power will be added.

To accommodate these BIG speakers I'm getting a new Seymour 136" (diag) AT screen (not the 4K). This will allow me to better space the LCR's and, still keep them behind the screen. This is a nice bump in screen size and if it is too much for me, the back row center just might become the sweet spot.

I'm planning a GTG on Saturday March 29th. Jeff Permanian will be flying out to help install and setup the 215's. I have invited several folks and have room for a few more. I'd like to keep it to 20 so if you are interested please let me know via PM. I will create a GTG Thread in early Feb as a posting area for comments and questions. Keith Yates has once again expressed interest in attending schedule allowing and Keith's attendance always makes things much more interesting as he is truly an expert in all things audio and Home Theater.

So, that's the news here and I hope to see some of you at the end of March. cool.gif

Best,
Rob

HToM

post #515 of 523 Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Wow........................

Your are a man on a mission! wink.gif

Getting rid of the OS's must have been a difficult decision...........................those monster were simply amazing. Would really like to hear an explanation on reasons why? Trying something new?

One of these:

With a larger screen, I'd figure you would be changing out your projector too! The Sony 1000ES........or should I say 1100ES would be right up your alley!! biggrin.gif

Remember, if you're ever in Oregon, should stop by and have a look at 12 ft screen from 12 ft viewing distance.........................immersion galore!!! cool.gif
post #516 of 523 Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Congrats on the change, best of luck smile.gif
post #517 of 523 Old 01-13-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Wow........................

Your are a man on a mission! wink.gif

Getting rid of the OS's must have been a difficult decision...........................those monster were simply amazing. Would really like to hear an explanation on reasons why? Trying something new?

One of these:

With a larger screen, I'd figure you would be changing out your projector too! The Sony 1000ES........or should I say 1100ES would be right up your alley!! biggrin.gif

Remember, if you're ever in Oregon, should stop by and have a look at 12 ft screen from 12 ft viewing distance.........................immersion galore!!! cool.gif

Man on a mission or upgradeitis remission? smile.gif

I am such a sucker for a "new concept" product. It's not like full range speakers are unusual, but these 215T's with the larger horn and 2 long throw 15's was just too intriguing to pass up. It will be fun to play them in Stereo with the 4 15's doing their thing. Also, I had the OS's almost four years and despite your's and others demo sessions, I rarely used more than 40-50% of the potential output.

So on to the next chapter plus, I can always go back ... although I'm a mostly forward kind of person. smile.gif

Thanks for the invite and I would love to hear your room and check out the projector, cool.gif

HToM

post #518 of 523 Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Wish I was in the US... would definitely be one of the top destination to be at... History in the making as this would be the first anyone would ever be able to get a whiff of the 215s...

RMK, what I am interested in most is whether these beasts can be run from just a capable AVR (are they 4ohms or 8 ohms? 4 ohms would mean a capable avr could double it's wattage). At 95dB, it's still pretty sensitive and with an avr capable of 250 watts into 4 ohms (any typical 140 watts per channel avr into 8 ohms), i think it'll be loud enough.
post #519 of 523 Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Wish I was in the US... would definitely be one of the top destination to be at... History in the making as this would be the first anyone would ever be able to get a whiff of the 215s...

RMK, what I am interested in most is whether these beasts can be run from just a capable AVR (are they 4ohms or 8 ohms? 4 ohms would mean a capable avr could double it's wattage). At 95dB, it's still pretty sensitive and with an avr capable of 250 watts into 4 ohms (any typical 140 watts per channel avr into 8 ohms), i think it'll be loud enough.

Sorry you can't make the short trip ... wink.gif

The subs are what will draw the power. Two 15's in each cabinet means the power requirements go well beyond what an AVR can provide. IMHO smile.gif

HToM

post #520 of 523 Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Sorry you can't make the short trip ... wink.gif

The subs are what will draw the power. Two 15's in each cabinet means the power requirements go well beyond what an AVR can provide. IMHO smile.gif

Well, I'll sure to pay you a visit once my Jet Pack arrives... tongue.gif

Here's what I am confused about.

Since the speakers are rated 95dB, doesn't that mean that across the whole spectrum, it'll be about 95dB sensitive? Which means that given 250 watts or thereabouts, you'll easily hit 120dB at 1m (depending on how far you sit, this might be enough to hit reference), even for the bass (down to 18hz, which may be down 3dB).

Or, am I missing something here?
post #521 of 523 Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Well, I'll sure to pay you a visit once my Jet Pack arrives... tongue.gif

Here's what I am confused about.

Since the speakers are rated 95dB, doesn't that mean that across the whole spectrum, it'll be about 95dB sensitive? Which means that given 250 watts or thereabouts, you'll easily hit 120dB at 1m (depending on how far you sit, this might be enough to hit reference), even for the bass (down to 18hz, which may be down 3dB).

Or, am I missing something here?

Since these are full range speakers and the LFE will be mixed into the main channels, the power demands will be much greater than a normal setup with a 120Hz high pass and a separate LFE channel to sub. There is a reason that Jeff (and others) use 2400-4000kw amps for the subs. This is really exploring new territory for me so I'm kind of white caneing my way through it ... smile.gif

HToM

post #522 of 523 Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Since these are full range speakers and the LFE will be mixed into the main channels, the power demands will be much greater than a normal setup with a 120Hz high pass and a separate LFE channel to sub. There is a reason that Jeff (and others) use 2400-4000kw amps for the subs. This is really exploring new territory for me so I'm kind of white caneing my way through it ... smile.gif

Right. I guess we'll have to wait till march to see how things goes... biggrin.gif
post #523 of 523 Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
http://www.avsforum.com/t/905600/new-space/510#post_23675331

The photo in Post #513 shows absorbers placed above your 212 LCR. Any reason why? What improvement does it make?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page