Hiding speakers behind screen wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys:

I am in the process (start framing monday) for my home theater. The room is 18 width by 27 long. I am planning on building a stage area for the screen similar to what jdubb-16 has done here:

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=PICT0559.jpg

I plan on having my speakers in the area where he has his components and was wondering how to cover the entire section of wall with cloth. Are there any threads that already exist that someone can point me to for a example of how to do this and where to buy the cloth/fabric?

Follw.IT HTPC Social Integration

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I build fabric frames for mine that fit around the screen and give that look. Others staple directly to the framing on the back side or cover front side staples with molding. Others have used a combination.

Bud gave a pretty good write up of his if you take a look at the Blazing Ridge construction thread. He used a combination of the above if I recall.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 09:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
some ideas in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ow+screen+wall

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #4 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

What type of fabric did you use and where did you pick it up? That is what I am having the most trouble with. I can build/frame anything but when it comes to picking out fabrics... well....

post #5 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Guilford of Main fabric is probably the most common. It is acoustically transparent, durable, and fire resistant. Dazion is also used.

www.guilfordofmaine.com/

Gonzo

PSN: mule-tool
post #6 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
On mine I used Stretch Velvet and a faux wall framing with the velvet pulled to the back and staples to the framing of the wall, the center area behind the AT screen is open so fabric is pulled around to the back of the studs all around the opening. I also left enough room at the edges of the stage for the velvet to be pulled through between the studs and the side walls and again stapled to the back of the framing.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 02:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshipley View Post

where did you pick it up?

www.fabricmate.com

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #8 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 02:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

. I can build/frame anything

Yes but do you know how to do it so that no staples are visible when it's all put together?

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #9 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Yes but do you know how to do it so that no staples are visible when it's all put together?

nope.

post #10 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Here's how I started:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...74#post7389074
More info (index) in the first post of my thread.

Big should post his simple panel design as well.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #11 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

nope.

OK you don't want to frame the front wall until you have this all figured out.

The last thing we want to see is a post in two weeks showing us a picture of a framed front wall and asking how to put on the fabric.

The bottom line is that sometimes the fabric gets attached to the frame before the frame is fastened in place with the staples hidden on the back or the side against a wall. Sometimes you build fabric panels that rest against a skeletal frame.

do some searches on Attaching Fabric. there have been plenty of threads. Go to Chinadogs Blazing Ridge build thread. At the bottom of his post there is a link to his picture gallery. In one of the galleries he has well over 200 pictures of the process of putting up fabric. At the end he provided a lot of narrative

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #12 of 17 Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Big should post his simple panel design as well.
Bud

Don't people get tired of seeing this?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=minimalist

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #13 of 17 Old 09-14-2007, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Don't people get tired of seeing this?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=minimalist

Big,

In your approach you are just attaching the fabric panels with velcro to the finger jointed trim boards? This seems like a very easy approach!

I just don't want it looking like the home theater I built in my previous home, which I consider very ugly compared to what I have seen is possible on this forum.

Thanks.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-14-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Because I like showing pictures to anyone who will look:

Framing of false wall (a la Biggie's minimalist approach)

Frames made of MDF:

Frames set into place:

Frames covered with black GOM and velcro'ed into place.

Gonzo

post #15 of 17 Old 09-14-2007, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Because I like showing pictures to anyone who will look:

Frames covered with black GOM and velcro'ed into place.

Next question, what is black GOM that has been posted. I searched google and only found a few postings. Is this something I can pick up at a local store or should I pick it up online. Again, sorry if this has been asked a million times but I did try searching on google.

I think I just put two and two together.... Black GOM must be black fabric ordered from www.guilfordofmaine.com.

post #16 of 17 Old 09-14-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

guilford of main fabric. You can order it online (fabricmate.com, sensiblesoundsolutions.com). The Guilford of main site is a little cumbersome, but you can order tons of samples from them. The samples will be there in about a week.
www.guilfordofmaine.com/

Gonzo

post #17 of 17 Old 09-14-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
If you want a cheaper AT material, also look at dazian.com and look at the janus, celtic and exposure (has a texture) lines.

Dave

|
|
|
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page