New HT Builder Screen Wall Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I'm new to this site and I've been checking it out over the last couple weeks. As I'm going to start working on my first (budget) HT in the next few months, I've already found this whole site to be wonderfully informative. Just wanted to say a little pre-emptive thanks for everybody helping us new guys learn from former mistakes...it makes the budget HT a little more attainable.

I've been doing as much research as I can as I want to try to do this right. One thing I've seen come up a number of times that I never thought of doing is this "false wall" or "screen wall" idea with the sub behind it. Could someone please explain this concept to me as I've not found any answers so far. My room size is going to be approx. 22' x 14' and my screen size is 83". I'm just wondering what it is and how necessary it would be to install it considering my budget and that I'm not going for "perfect"...just enjoyable. Thanks!!

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The basic problem: you want your center speaker (which carries most dialog) to be in the center of the screen. To do that, you need to put your center speaker behind the screen. This leads to two things:

1) a screen that is 1-3' away from the wall of the room, and
2) an acoustically transparent screen.

Many people put their center speaker below the screen or above and are quite happy.

The false wall comes from wanting something to hang the screen on and still have room behind.

Putting the subwoofer behind the screen isn't the primary motivation, although it's a convenient place to stash one. Primarily it's for the center speaker, although left, right, and sub tend to go back there once you've got the false wall.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #3 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks...that explains it perfectly. I won't be going this route since I already have a non-acoustically transparent screen as well as budgeting reasons.

Took a look at some of your pictures...looks like it's going to be a really nice theatre. Good luck with the rest of it!

Derek
post #4 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 02:17 PM

I really want to do this with a budget theater as well. I just want a speaker free, clean look. I also think it would help hiding bass traps in the corners.

I'm looking at some of these theaters and trying to get an idea if I could do it myself. My questions right now are about the materials to cover the speakers on the side. What kind of fabric would one use and how to frame the speaker area so I can cover it with the material.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Read both the blazing ridge and the Britinva construction threads for perfect examples of how to do what you want. Both are DIY low cost speaker free looks.

And the fabric is GOM (guilford of Maine) ordered from fabricmate.com (or other sites).

Order free samples from the GOM site.

here is another reference from my build:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=minimalist
post #6 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Read around a bit more, especially read some of the individual theater threads (Sandmans, swithey, etc.). This stuff is generally well discussed.

Quick answers: To cover your false wall (outside of your screen), you generally want acoustically transparent cloth, especially over your speakers. It should also be fire resistant to meet code. Guilford of Maine (GOM) makes the cloth mentioned most frequently.

The cloth is generally mounted on wooden frames, and the frames are then mounted on the false wall.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #7 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Here is a recent thread with some useful information:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=907560

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #8 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bongard View Post

Hi there,

I'm new to this site and I've been checking it out over the last couple weeks. As I'm going to start working on my first (budget) HT in the next few months, I've already found this whole site to be wonderfully informative. Just wanted to say a little pre-emptive thanks for everybody helping us new guys learn from former mistakes...it makes the budget HT a little more attainable.

I've been doing as much research as I can as I want to try to do this right. One thing I've seen come up a number of times that I never thought of doing is this "false wall" or "screen wall" idea with the sub behind it. Could someone please explain this concept to me as I've not found any answers so far. My room size is going to be approx. 22' x 14' and my screen size is 83". I'm just wondering what it is and how necessary it would be to install it considering my budget and that I'm not going for "perfect"...just enjoyable. Thanks!!

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Derek

Now that the main question is pretty much answered, I have one for you.

Any reason why you are going with a 83" screen? Seems pretty small, especially with room as long as yours.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Your room is just about the same size as mine. If you go with the AT screen you can definitely go bigger on the screen if you wanted to since you can put the front behind it as well. I ended up with a 130" diag 2.35 screen 120"x51". If you do the false wall I would recommend not less than 24" behind it. That’s what I used and it was just barely enough.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I already have the screen and it's a 92" not an 82". I bought it when I was just getting into this stuff and it was on a friend's general recommendation (not even really based on the size of the room). I probably would have opted for a slightly larger one in retrospect, but on the other hand, it was a nice change from the 27" tv in the living room, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Derek
post #11 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Every month that goes by will seem like its shrinking an inch or two anyway. After a couple years it will seem so small you will have to move to a bigger house, start a new bigger better theater just to get back up to the perceived "big" screen experience

Hell mine shrank so fast I had to upgrade before I even finished the build. Went from a 104" diag 16:9 to 106" diag 16:9 to a 130" diag 2.35.

In all seriousness take your time, plan it out, ask a LOT of questions and you will love the results no matter what the screen size.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page