Where is the best place to go on the Web to find pictures of finished home theaters? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where is the best place to go on the Web to find pictures of really nice finished home theaters?

ALSO:

Do you think a 16' by 25.5' room is big enough for a 128" diagonal screen and two rows of seating? I was thinking of using a recliner love-seat at 14 to 15 feet from the screen (eyeball distance), and a big couch or dual love-seats at the back of the room against the rear wall. The screen will be on the 16' side. Ceiling is 10'. I was thinking of having the bottom of the screen at 23" above the floor. Any lower and it will be difficult to place the center speaker. The room will have nice crown moldings and wainscoting and two small double hung windows, one 4' from the front screen wall and another 4' from the rear wall, both on the same side. This can be changed if needed.

The 128" diagonal screen (112" wide) will be a DNP giant wide angle rear projection screen with Studio finish which stops reflections. I have 16' behind the screen to play with. Gain is 3 on the 63" by 112" screen (49 square feet).

I was thinking of using cream and white walls and cream wainscoting and trim and a light Birdseye maple paneling on the screen side. I want a light home theater, and since it is rear projection I think that will be OK. The windows will have metal blinds and will be smaller than normal, so I should have good light control if needed. I was thinking of using Triad Gold in-wall speakers in a 5.1 system, but with dual subwoofers which will be home made using two 12" woofers per side.

Is there anything in my plan that screams WRONG?

IB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

Is there anything in my plan that screams WRONG?

Only that you haven't been hanging out in this thread long enough to know that a hell of a lot of great looking theaters pass through here on a regular basis. Pictures and construction details included.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea, I know, but what happened to the section they use to have here of just HT pictures? Maybe it was taking up too much bandwidth. Are there any off site sources of pro looking set-ups? I have found several dozen using Yahoo image search, but I want more. I never get tired of looking at the really good ones.

IB
post #4 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just keep reading thru all these pages and visiting peoples build pages. I do a right-click save everytime I come across a picture I like. Store in a folder that I reference when I'm trying a new idea out.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Here are a couple of pic of mine. My room dimentions are 15 x 18 with a 5 foot wide projection/equiptment room behind. Screen size in 123" , I'm using Sim2 C3X projector.

post #6 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Where is the best place to go on the Web to find pictures of really nice finished home theaters?

Go to google and click on images. Type in "home theater" and you'll get more great pictures than you'll ever be able to look at.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesB View Post

Here are a couple of pic of mine. My room dimensions are 15 x 18 with a 5 foot wide projection/equipment room behind. Screen size in 123" , I'm using Sim2 C3X projector.

Looks great, but if your room is only 18' deep, then your first row seats must be pretty darn close to the screen. 12'? What is the distance?

I am going to be using recliners, so I will need more room for two rows. As my screen is 128" diagonal and 112" wide, I want 15' to the front eyeballs. The THX recommended optimum seating is 14' for a 112" wide screen.

IB
post #8 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Audiogon has a section for member systems. Some are very elaborate and expensive. Audiogon is also a great market place for high quality Used and sometimes new Hifi and home theater gear. Very high caliber membership. I find it to be the very best marketplace out in cyber land. Sorry if I drifted a little from the topic
post #9 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 PM

true, my first row is about 11' 8" and I prefer the second row (at least until I get the new c3x 1080p but all the chairs recline and we have enough room. Still it would have been nice to have another 2 feet in length and 1 foot in width. (the actual length of the room is about 18' 6")

BTW I prefer a big picture so I like the ratio in my room but to improve the picture quality with respect to pixelation I need to upgrade the projector. I don't see any screendoor in second row but some in the first row.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

all the chairs recline and we have enough room.

Who makes your chairs? Model number?

BTW This is the kind of seating I was thinking of, made by Lane.

http://www.lanefurniture.com/Product...rNo=22682&LHF= - reclining sofa

http://www.lanefurniture.com/Product...rNo=22678&LHF= - single recliner chair - two person reclining loveseat also available

"Lane's Perimeter Double Reclining Sofa offers a modern twist on a classic comfortable look. Boxed cushion styling presents a unique design appeal while ensuring you're comfortable from head to toe! Available in fabric, leather and a combination of both."

I want it in fabric and leather trim, just as in the picture. I think it has a very classy and warm look.

IB
post #11 of 20 Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted this site in another forum, its the best one i found.

http://www.finishedbasement.com/

Lots of good ideas.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #12 of 20 Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
post #13 of 20 Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Boy, they have that forum hidden away. To find it go to "HOME" and look at the menu on the left in small type.

» ENTER MAIN FORUMS
» Display Devices
» Video Components
» Home Theater PC's
» HDTV Area
» Blu-ray & HD DVD Area
» Audio Area
» Digital Video & Audio
» Home Theater Gaming
» Room Construction
» A/V Control & Automation
» Other Areas of Interest
» AVS Forum Support
» Member Theater Gallery
» Forum Rules
» Advertise on AVS

IB
post #14 of 20 Old 10-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I like checking these out:
Show us your screen wall thread
The official 2.35:1 picture thread

There is also a "Before and After" thread somewhere in the general media rooms forum, but my quick search didn't turn it up for some reason. It may have been moved to the archives.

post #15 of 20 Old 10-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Inky, you asked who made the chairs in my theater... I don't actually know who makes them but I got them at Bass Industries in Miami Florida Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I couldn't stay up any later last night.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Inky, you asked who made the chairs in my theater... I don't actually know who makes them but I got them at Bass Industries in Miami Florida Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I couldn't stay up any later last night.

Thanks. They do look nice. I want more of a living room look in my theater because it will always be lit up due to my giant 128" rear projection screen which does not require darkness.

So what do people think of this Lane recliner furniture? I have had a Lane recliner for 10 years and it still works like new. Before that I had Lazyboy stuff that was junk and didn't last. I love this Lane "Perimeter" series.
LL
LL
LL
post #17 of 20 Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
That Lane stuff sure looks nice. I love the microfber on lether look they have.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-05-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lane also makes "Hollywood" theater seating. You can get them in microfiber and various other cloth finishes as well as leather. I prefer the feel of cloth for in-home use.
LL
post #19 of 20 Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

So what do people think of this Lane recliner furniture? I have had a Lane recliner for 10 years and it still works like new. Before that I had Lazyboy stuff that was junk and didn't last. I love this Lane "Perimeter" series.

No my cup of tea, but its a personal thing. Much rather have theater type seating.

Bud
post #20 of 20 Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Lane also makes "Hollywood" theater seating. You can get them in microfiber and various other cloth finishes as well as leather. I prefer the feel of cloth for in-home use.

These don't look too bad, anyone sit in them? I sat in Fortress seating the other day, not that was nice!

Bud
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page