Week two was monday - thursday. Here's what was completed:
-metal stud walls installed with RSIC clips
-insulation in all walls installed (R19)
-exterior 1/2" mold-resistant drywall installed
-interior 5/8" regular drywall installed
-materials for ceiling moved to room, ready for installationMetal track
the walls are framed to about an inch below the i-beams. Unfortunately, this meant trimming about an inch off the bottom of every stud, but that's what it was. The ceiling joists will sit on top of the walls rather than attach to the i-beams. Accordingly, we did 16" studs on the sides, and 24" for the short walls (front and rear).RSIC clips
these were surprisingly easy to work with. By constructing a "room within a room", and only attaching to the exterior with these clips, the chances of noise moving throughout the rest of the house are substantially reduced. No green glue for this project - seemed like overkill for a room that's a cement bunker and two floors from the kitchen/living room, and at least three floors from the bedrooms (on 3rd and 4th floor).Working around the block footings
a few times along both side walls, the cinder block sticks out about 3.5 inches. Rather than frame inside, we lined up the track so that the drywall would be just an inch off the block wall. The rest of the wall gives us around 5 inches depth, so perfect fit for R19.
On the other side of the room, the footings weren't as deep, so we notched out the metal track.Fire sprinker pipe
not only does every room have to have sprinklers installed, but the front of the house has to provide a hook up for the fire department (never mind the hydrant on the corner, 20 feet from the house). This is 2" CPVC that runs across the front of the room. We decided to frame the room square, and have the pipe drop into the room, then leave again, so two holes into the room. We will seal carefully around these holes. This is the screen wall, so we aren't worried about being able to see the pipe.
CPVC is rated for 180F, so the pipe wont melt before the sprinklers can go off. Finding someone to come reroute these pipes has proven to be a major hassle, and they want a fortune for it.Insulation up
R19 on all the walls, R30 in the ceilings between the i-beams.Drywall
The outer layer is mold resistant. I wanted to make sure that if there's ever moisture in the basement we aren't completely vulnerable. Between the sump pump, dricore, metal studs, and mold-resistant drywall, I hope that does the trick.Duct dampening
tin ducts are very noisy. They ring like crazy if you knock on them. We ran out of time to get the duct liner ordered and installed, but between the right hand turns and s-curved flex lines, I'm hoping its quiet enough.
To damp the ringing of the metal, I wanted something like Dynamat, a product mainly for cars, but didn't want to spend the $10+ per sq foot of that product. I found this all purpose flashing material at Lowes that doesn't have the same mass as Dynamat, but is otherwise pretty similar. Its about $0.50 per sq foot, which is more in line with my budget.