We finally decided to name the theater. We live in the middle of nowhere. 50 yards from the backdoor of the theater is a large creek. We are constantly over run with bears raiding our bird feeders, loads of wild turkeys that roost in the trees out by the creek and are really over run with deer. The Sanctuary Theater. The name fits.
I got quite a bit of work done over the last couple weeks. I shipped out 2 days ago and won't be home to work on it again until June. Hopefully the moisture content of the oak will be down to 8% by then.
The company that was going to move the relief backed out at the last minute. I ended up moving it with my kids and some of their friends (5 200-250 lb kids), myself and my next door neighbor (in the pictures above running the mill). Basically, we crated the relief in 2x8 lumber. We attached 3 steel loops into the crate edges. 2 on the top, and one down low. We bought down a roll back car trailer. We put the crated relief up on 2 car dollies and pulled it onto the trailer with the winch. As the relief can only be moved on edge (not layed down), we strapped it standing up right in the middle of the trailer. I backed the truck and trailer down to the entrance door and we rolled the relief in. We removed it from the dollies. Uncrated it, then put it back on the dollies. We rolled it directly in front of the cut out and used a heavy car jack to lift and then slide it into the framed wall. When I framed I left a 12" gap in the base so the jack could slide in. I also cleaned the relief with a microfibre towel and soap and water. It did wonders but there is still more cleaning to do. I have been told to use hydrogen peroxide, but will look into this more.
A little closer shot before it was cleaned:
I finally finished all the framing. My younger kids helped by painting all the framing black. I ended up with a WilsonArt Screen, backed by 1/4 plywood. The picture is really good with this screen.
The front wall is covered with 1" fiberglass. The stage and landing are 8 3/4" tall and filled with sand. I couldn't believe that sand was $4 a bag. I ended up using mostly chipped flagstone and then filled with sand. I used 8 bags of playsand total, and about 2 yards of chipped stone.
The original walls are 3/4" wood paneling. Its something like barnboard.
For rear speakers I went with all Boston VR2's. I couldnt make up my mind whether to go with full size rears or with dipoles. I ended up finding the speakers on clearance. The price was the deciding factor. I am very happy that I went with the fullsize rears. The sound difference was amazing.
A shot of the projector and soffit (not totally complete). The picture also shows the relief after cleaning. I based the dimensions of the soffit on the projector. The soffit is only on the rear wall above the relief. It's 9" deep and will contain 2 lights for the relief. I am leaving the entire soffit hollow (lights will be enclosed) and will trim out the front of the projector.
The ceiling was a nightmare. The old ceiling was suspended and all wiring, phone etc was ran under the joists. We moved everything up and got the room ready for drywall ceiling. I ran a 2" plastic conduit front to rear for future wiring.
For the ceiling I went with black paint. My first gallon was behr lamp black. The color and the paint was aweful. It looked bluish. I went to my local lumber yard and got a gallon of True Value black. They mixed it 16y. The paint blows away the behr. It covered in one coat and is very black.
After redoing a room a year in our house, my wife was dreading the drywal dust. I ended up doing a knock down ceiling. Its very easy and fast. No sanding. The ceiling turned out great. Wife happy.
I ended up using a Lutron Grafik Eye after all. It's a 3104. I did however run 3 lights not with the GE. They are on a simple switch so my wife/kids dont need to mess with the GE to have some light. I also mounted it up high so no one messes with it. It will be behind a removable cloth panel.
We also had a new circuit run for the theater. Most of the lighting (except the 3 lights not on the GE, and the audio/video gear are 70amp box. Currently, it has 2 20 amp legs to the theater.
In all I used 3 lights in front of the screen. I left these 10" out from the wall, but they could have been further. Probably 16-18". They leave a little shadow from the screen frame. There will be 2 lights over the relief. I ended up with 8 lights for general lighting. There are also 4 lights over the seats (slightly back). I also have prewired for 4 sconce lights. The wiring connecting the Grafik Eye is temporary for testing, and will be in conduit when its done. The ceiling is filled with R-19.
We still haven't decided on colors. I am still waiting for samples from Dazian and more samples from GOM. I was going to cover the 3 doors in cloth but we have decided that oak will be better. I am going to veneer the 2 inside doors with red oak. The outside door we will cover with 1/8" x 12" oak we milled just before I left. Basically veneer also.
I am also trying to figure out my bass situation. I use a Mirage BPS-400 that has always done well. After the insulation in the ceiling and fiberglass panels on the front wall, my subwoofer had to be turned way up. It sounds much better and tighter but I still would like some more bass. I am considering putting 2 sonosubs in the rear corners.
Projector: Optoma HD-70
Screen: WilsonArt DW 56x100
Amps: (2)Acurus A250x2, Acurus A200x3
Processor: Rotel RSP-1068
Video Processor/Scaler: DVDO Iscan HD+
Front: Boston VR975's
Rear: Boston VR2
Side: Boston VR2
Sub: Mirage BPS-400
Remote: URC MX-850
Light Controller:Lutron GRX-3104