The Tupalev Family Home Theater Construction Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 140 Old 11-13-2007, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are building a new home and I have the fortunate luxury to have it include a home theater and design/build it from the ground up (literally). I've attached two diagrams that the builder suggests for the basement, specifically the home theater area. However they are open to my suggestions with regard to the lower left quadrant of the diagrams where I'll place the home theater (see attached).

My goal is to create a decent sized home theater in this area but also leave some room for storage. As per the home theater experts suggest, I'd like to have the room rectangular in nature, so I'm thinking 25' x 15' - is this a good size - perhaps larger? I'd like to have comfortable seating for at least 8 including a riser. Additionally, I'd like to have an adjacent media closet that's accessible from the theater room through a built in media rack.

As for budget, we've elected for the "home theater" option so it's already included in the final price of the home - but what that really entails with regard to sound insulation, multimedia wiring, specialty building (riser, stage) is kinda foggy at this point. I'll keep you posted on this.

The final design is due to the builder in a couple of weeks so any and all suggestions that can be provided as I embark on this project (i.e., things to avoid, things to include, electrical considerations, lighting, insulation) are welcomed! Many thanks.

EDIT: Here's a picture of my canvas - area in red is the eventual HT location:

KenwoodALTGROUND.pdf 62.912109375k . file

KenwoodGROUND.pdf 86.4013671875k . file

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
I would shoot for 16-16.5' wide if you want to get 4 seats in comfortably. Other than that 25' is a great length for 2 rows. Oh and try and keep the entrance to the storage out of the theater. You can use a spot in the storage to house the equipment too.

Nate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10,000 Watts, custom built speakers, 10' CIH screen = Holy Crap
post #3 of 140 Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nate - good points. I'll add that dimension - perhaps make it 17' wide just to be safe.

post #4 of 140 Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Be very careful about the 'home theater option.' Usually, from my experience, that entails them prewiring for speakers and usually in less than optimal places along with a few cheap speakers. I'd get your design pinned down and work with the builder to run what you want where you want it - and ask for conduit.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #5 of 140 Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bryan - definitely want a conduit run from the projector to the media cabinet. Should I ask for conduit to all 7.1 speaker points? I have confirmed that they are not installing speakers as I have my own to install. Essentially I want them to run 12 gauge speaker wire and terminate them with wall plates.

Question on the subwoofer wire - what's the best kind of cable/wire to run for this? Thanks.

post #6 of 140 Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupalev View Post

Thanks Bryan - definitely want a conduit run from the projector to the media cabinet. Should I ask for conduit to all 7.1 speaker points?

Conduit to all points is ideal. Make sure they are adequetely sized.

I personally ran 2" conduit to the screen wall and the projector. I than ran the speaker wire to the surrounds outside of the conduit. The conduit to the screenwall was very full after I pulled 3 12 ga speaker wires and a subwoofer cable.

I kind of wish I had run conduit to at least one surround location to facilitate buttkickers or other tactile tranducers. My wife was opposed to those, so I gave up on them. She has grown more amenable to the best of HT over time, and I might have been served by keeping that door open, so to speak.

Dave

|
|
|
post #7 of 140 Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Good idea Dave - I'll let you know what the builder says to the conduit request. Overall, the builder seems very willing to work with us on potential changes or new design ideas, especially if we want to change certain aspects of the home theater.

But what remains to be seen is how the builder will react when I go to ask for specific wiring, extra insulation or a dedicated circuit to the media cabinet or even a solid-core door. I'm hoping this is considered within the normal scope of building. The less I have to spend on extra-curricular construction, the more I can spend on a/v toys.

post #8 of 140 Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess that's what I'm saying. Paying for the 'ht option' isn't going to get you what you want and they'll still charge the extra for what you DO want. I'd skip the option and spec exactly what you want up front. It'll likely be cheaper in the long run.

I've even heard horror stories about builders running wiring to a sub location - but it was speakers cable, not coax for a powered sub.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #9 of 140 Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll definitely ask for the coax run from the subwoofer to the media cabinet. But now I'm thinking about how one uses a particular power source for the sub. Meaning, I'd like all my expensive a/v equipment on clean power or at least surge protected. Do most folks run an internal extension cord from their power conditioners to their subs?

post #10 of 140 Old 11-17-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well - slight change of plans. Wife and I decided to add a bar to the home theater now - which will require extending the length a bit. Anyone out there include a bar to their home theater? Any pics to share? Thanks!!

post #11 of 140 Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Be sure to discuss HVAC and Plumbing routes and how the head room will be compromised. If you have to have a soffit on one side of the theater to hide duct work have a mirror image soffit built on the other side and something done on the ends to tie the look together. Pre wire for rope lighting in cornice molding if you are getting these soffits.

PROJECTS:

post #12 of 140 Old 11-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Great foresight about planing your theater. Definitely run 2" Carlon Conduit. Many custom installers miss the boat when it comes to wiring and almost all (99.9%) of builders get it wrong as well. Been there done that, failed many times but always learned from my mistakes. I have designed and installed 100's of mid to high end systems and one of the most crucial and overlooked ingredeints to the receipe is the the gauge of wire. I run 7guage (2x 10 guage) to all speakers and 4 guage (2x 7 guage) to all subs.

Ed Lewis
Custom AV Installer
post #13 of 140 Old 11-23-2007, 07:38 AM

some random thoughts:

Excavate front row of theater and screen deeper to provide stadium style seating.

home run all wiring, cat 5e and speaker wire to a central location. this applies to whole house, also. add add whole house lightning protection, etc.

Invest in sound insulation and treatments.

insulate or keep as much distance from AHU.

Hire a professional experienced HT designer. It will be worth the effort.
post #14 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well, as I prepare to meet the builder - I've drafted a first draft diagram that should give a general idea of what I want to accomplish. The area in the lower right is the media closet that is accessible from the theater room.

I welcome any comments on what I'm doing here (or not doing, but should!). Many thanks everyone!

post #15 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

PROJECTS:

post #16 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

Anyone out there include a bar to their home theater? Any pics to share? Thanks!!

buffbaker:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=buffbaker

PROJECTS:

post #17 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bigs - great idea! As you noted, I originally planned to put in a bar but it was affecting how I really wanted to pull off the HT. But putting a drybar up behind the couch would be a great way to go. Back to Vizio ....

post #18 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

My work in progress:

For planning purposes you need a min of 6'8" from the front of the dry-bar to the front of the riser for proper spacing of Reclining Theater seating (depending on brand and model) 7' would be good planning.

PROJECTS:

post #19 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Looks awesome Bigs. As I'm diagramming this out on Vizio, I'm noticing I might break a golden rule of home theater - and that's putting a door towards the front where people could potentially block the screen as they file in. Thoughts?

post #20 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Definitely listen to Big's advice. Besides having great ideas, patience, vision, charisma and the like (did I forget to mention time?), it is also evident that he has EXPERIENCE:

- Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #21 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

For planning purposes you need a min of 6'8" from the front of the dry-bar to the front of the riser for proper spacing of Reclining Theater seating (depending on brand and model) 7' would be good planning.

How much room would you think is the minimum between the bar and the back wall? I'm also planning a dry bar behind the back row as it will make for good overflow seating and a place to put snacks, etc during superbowl parties, holiday parties, etc.

Riser to front of bar ~7'
Back of bar to back wall ~??

-Brian
post #22 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeks View Post

How much room would you think is the minimum between the bar and the back wall? I'm also planning a dry bar behind the back row as it will make for good overflow seating and a place to put snacks, etc during superbowl parties, holiday parties, etc.

Riser to front of bar ~7'
Back of bar to back wall ~??

Incorporating this new design from Bigs, I'm going to extend the length of the HT from 24 feet to 26 feet, giving me around 6 feet from the front of the dry bar to the back wall. I think this should be adequate "move around" room back there ...

post #23 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my latest plan for review. I didn't carve in the steps yet ...

post #24 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Similar to my thinking for my layout at this point, except I only have 11' of width

I also think I am going to do a CIH scope AT screen that will be about 24-30" off of the front wall.

-Brian
post #25 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Only thing I would change is get rid of the riser under the bar/stool area. You don't need people sitting that high. Just build the riser for the second row of seats. Look as Jeff's photo to understand what I'm talking about.

Speaking of Jeff - I'm disappointed we haven't gotten any sketches on holiday napkins yet. Come on, where's your spirit!!

Michael

post #26 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 04:11 PM

one other suggestion. before you settle on room dimensions, evaluate your room dimensions with a mode calculator to identify any standing wave or other sound issues. doing this now will save plenty of headaches in the end.

one such calculator is at.

http://www.realtraps.com/modecalc.htm

many other excel spreadsheets out their also.
post #27 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Only thing I would change is get rid of the riser under the bar/stool area. You don't need people sitting that high. Just build the riser for the second row of seats. Look as Jeff's photo to understand what I'm talking about.

Yes my bar is floor level as is BuffBakers. To make the OP's room work I think the better solution would be to use a counter top height bar on top of the riser and get stools that are designed for that height. Otherwise the trip to the back is up and then down which is less than ideal.

PROJECTS:

post #28 of 140 Old 12-07-2007, 07:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

I'm noticing I might break a golden rule of home theater - and that's putting a door towards the front where people could potentially block the screen as they file in. Thoughts?

I think it may be appropriate to rethink the doors.

What if you put the theater door hinges on the opposite side jamb and have it open out?, also maybe move back toward the riser a bit. I really don't see any more obstructing the view issues in that location when someone needs a break compared to way in the back.

The equipment closet. Think about a narrow door 20-24 inch wide (I have an 18 inch door to my equipment closet) and have it open into the room and put the hinges on the opposite jamb.

PROJECTS:

post #29 of 140 Old 12-08-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Yes my bar is floor level as is BuffBakers. To make the OP's room work I think the better solution would be to use a counter top height bar on top of the riser and get stools that are designed for that height. Otherwise the trip to the back is up and then down which is less than ideal.

I'm not sure it has to be up and then down. Depends on how the riser is built, where the step is, etc. If you build the step so that it doesn't protrude into the aisle you should have a clear aisle.

Michael

post #30 of 140 Old 12-09-2007, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the continuing tips everyone. Saw the below photo in an advertisement, this looks pretty close to what I'd like. The height looks pretty good, even with the ceiling at 8' on the riser. But then again, the bar viewers sitting below don't have to contend with the projector obstructing their view as it appears the projector is within the coffered ceiling. At minimal, I'd like the bar to be above the back of the couch and maybe above the couch viewer's head. So I'm thinking somewhere between 42" - 48" high. Thoughts anyone?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page