Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 219 Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

i'm sorry if i missed it, but did you use a flat black on the ceiling? I'm looking to switch from white to black.

Everything else looks nice and clean.

Nope, it's actually a medium brown (Mercer by Ralph Lauren). There is still some sheen from the projector which would not be there with flat black, but I really did not want to go that route because (a) the room is sort of multipurpose and (b) the ceiling is very low and within hand height, which spells disaster with flat paints.

Honestly, if white scored zero and black was 10, any kind of dark tone would probably be a 7 or 8. Flat black is best, but pretty much anything beats white, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 219 Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Performing a Lazerous here...but I want new photos.

Hey, thanks for resurrecting. I haven't posted anything new in awhile because the room hasn't really changed at all, so it would be kind of pointless

With that said however....

We sold this house a couple of weeks ago and will be moving to the west coast in the spring. Our new home has a basement rec area that is - get this - a similar size. Well, it's actually bigger by a couple of feet in each dimension (including height!) so you could say that I'm graduating from a Theater for Hobbits to a Theater for Dwarves.

You know I'm gonna be building, so stay tuned for that one!

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #213 of 219 Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
What kind of feedback did you get from realtors/buyers on the theater?

Good luck with the move. We'll be watching for V2.0.
post #214 of 219 Old 02-08-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

What kind of feedback did you get from realtors/buyers on the theater?

Good luck with the move. We'll be watching for V2.0.

Thanks!

That's actually a really great question, and also a reminder that in the end, we're doing this for ourselves. Realtors were very excited about the uniqueness and "wow factor" of having a mini-movie theater in the basement, but prospective buyers were all over the map. All else being equal, this sort of thing, no matter how sexy, does not a house sell. Much more important are the usual suspects - location, size, curb appeal, kitchen/baths etc.

We did have it running all during showings/open houses with Pixar, Planet Earth, ESPN etc - and got a pretty good sample of opinions since we had over 250 people come through.

I heard through our agent that some were charmed by my little hobbit theater, others were neutral, and some were even really put off by the incongruity (incongruousness?) of having such fine finishes in a basement barely tall enough to stand in. Apparently, one lady who wanted to build some sort of home office or studio even got contractors to estimate on ripping the whole thing out to lower the foundation.

Thankfully, they didn't buy it. I think the Shire will live to see another Superbowl Sunday.

post #215 of 219 Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you started the Hobbit Theater v2.0 yet

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #216 of 219 Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Not yet. I had big plans for our new space, but life, as they say, has gotten in the way. New town, new job, new baby, new hobbies = less time to build.

I do keep an eye on AVS and the scene in general though. It's actually interesting how my ideas evolve a bit every time I go into the basement (just using it for storage right now) so maybe taking a break is not necessarily a bad thing...

post #217 of 219 Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been over a year since I've even logged into AVS, but I just wanted to check in with old friends and mention that...

IT'S ON! Hobbit 2.0.

As I mentioned before, since the Hobbit build, I sold our house, moved to the west coast, bought another house, had another kid, got a new job, discovered new hobbies, blah blah blah.

But the theater bug never left, and watching movies on the tiny 40" Sony LCD in the living room is getting a bit old, so I think the time has come for another build! And to keep things interesting, I'm going to do it in another challenging space - a tiny 10' by 10' basement alcove with less than a 9' pj throw, probably facing the "wrong" direction, and with a giant window facing directly into the screen position. This is going to be fun!

post #218 of 219 Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking forward to the progress.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #219 of 219 Old 11-29-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Snowkarver,

I have recently began the undertaking of creating my own "man cave". I have really enjoyed reading all the your posts in this forum. I am looking forward to seeing how your TFH 2.0  progresses.

As soon as I can I will upload some of my images and we can compare notes if you will. My plan is to install an 8.2 Harman/Kardon system with JBL speakers.

The speakers I have purchased are bookshelf speakers but my plan is to build boxes to contain the speakers in the wall. My only problem is the rear speakers as that wall is an adjoining room and the boxes would protrude into the space of the adjoining room. Perplexing!!! LOL

I am building an in-wall rack unit for the equipment. I have picked the placement for it and have begun constructing. My only problem in this portion of the build is accessibility to the rear of the rack. It's looking like I may do a side access. That should work fine as long as I can see in the rack well. I will share images soon hopefully. 

Good luck with your new build

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page