Theater for Hobbits - Big screen, miniscule space! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41

UPDATE FOR 2013: I sold this house in 2011, and am now working on Hobbit 2.0 in my new home!

Some of the photos in the first half of the thread are missing now, but there are quite a few construction shots starting on page 2.

ORIGINAL POST:

After lurking for many months, being inspired by the incredible projects in this forum, and dreaming about one day having my own (semi-) dedicated theater space, I'm finally ready to start treading this well-worn path.

This is probably one of the smallest dedicated builds on AVS: the theater itself is approximately 8' wide by 15' long, with an average ceiling height of 6'9" to the joists - 6'7" after finishing with drywall, subfloor and carpet.

WHEN I SOLD IT:

It's showtime! But the room is still missing furniture, a little decor, and perhaps some sidewall treatment.

BACKGROUND

My wife and I live downtown where new construction is very rare. So our home is a 20-foot wide, 100 year-old house that is full of character, but also pretty challenging for home theater. The basement is the only location available, and it's barely more than a crawlspace by today's standards - thin, uneven concrete slab, less than 7' of headroom to the joists (by code, too low to legally build in), a maximum open width of 8', decades of plumbing, electrical and carpentry hack jobs messing everything up, and nothing plumb, level or straight. Add to this a limited budget due to the necessity of renovating the -rest- of the old house, and it makes for an interesting build. The estimated cost for the entire basement, including materials, construction, tools, and missing equipment, is about $10,000-12,000.

My ultimate goal is to try and have as many dedicated home theater features as is practical given the space and budget, and then see how it all pans out. Because the house is so small, although I consider the main viewing area from the seating area forwards to be a dedicated HT, it will actually share the physical room with a more multipurpose space immediately behind it.

THE ORIGINAL PLAN

No choice for location here. It's going into what was euphemistically labelled the "Rec Room" in the real estate listing. Basically an 8-foot wide unfinished space with a bit more than 6 1/2 feet of headroom - as illustrated in this photo taken before we took possession of the house:

The screen will be against the far wall, and given the decent length of the room, I plan to use the maximum width and height available for an 84" wide (96" diagonal) 16:9 screen. Primary seating will be approximately 11-12' back for a 30-37 degree viewing angle, with some room in front for "overflow seating" (i.e. more than three people!) at a THX recommended 9'-10' distance.

Given the project budget, size of the house, open nature of the basement, and the need to preserve every inch of available space, I won't be using any specialized soundproofing techniques such as double drywall, channels or clips. Since it's impractical to close off the space, any noise would simply flank up the stairs to the main floor. However, I will use some basic insulation such as Roxul in the ceiling joists in an attempt to reduce cavity resonance, and deaden contact transmission to and from the floor above.

Update: After testing it seems that, thanks to the intrinsic mass and nature of old-style construction (plaster, lath and thick, heavy beams), sound at an acceptable volume downstairs (not reference levels, but perfectly enjoyable for most movies and music) is barely noticeable on the second floor. Super.

EQUIPMENT

One nice thing about a hobbit-sized space is that it's not demanding on equipment! Other than the projector, I'll be using mostly existing gear from a previous media setup, which should be very capable of achieving reference levels in a room of this size.

NAD T762 7.1 AV receiver
NAD T531 DVD/CD transport
Paradigm Atom monitor fronts/CC-170 center/ADP-70 bipole-dipole surrounds
Paradigm PDR-10 10" subwoofer
Apple Airport Express w/ optical bitstream for wireless iTunes connectivity (#1 - theater source)

Added during build: Scientific Atlanta 8300HD high-definition PVR
Added during build: Sony Playstation 3 console/Blu-Ray player
Added during build: Optoma HD-7100 720P HD front projector
Added during build: 96" DIY framed Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision (Grey/1.2 gain) screen
Added during build: Belkin PureAV PF60 power conditioner console
Added during build: Logitech Harmony 880 universal remote

Integration with whole-house system (ABUS):

Channel Vision single-source ABUS distribution network
Scientific Atlanta 3250HD high-definition cable box

Added during build: Apple Airport Express w/ optical bitstream for wireless iTunes connectivity (#2 - ABUS source)
Added during build: JVC RXD-205 AV receiver to switch and drive ABUS system

When the walls were open upstairs I ran CAT5e in a home-run configuration to ABUS (audio and IR over ethernet) panels in each room, plus component cabling to plasma locations in the kitchen and bedroom, terminating at a Leviton Structured Wiring panel located just behind what will become the main HT rack. This will allow me to distribute the HT sources plus an additional dedicated Scientific Atlanta 3500HD box throughout the house.

I picked up a great deal on the 720P Optoma HD7100 projector about halfway through the project for about $900 after rebate - 6 months prior it was in the $2K range! It has a very short lens which can throw the necessary 84" in less than 11 feet, which is perfect for my situation. Unlike cheaper models that I originally considered (HD70), it also has zero vertical offset which is a huge bonus for any low-headroom build. I will build a niche into the joist space at the projector location so that the mount assembly can partially recess into the ceiling, maximizing headroom. This should place the lens itself at the ceiling line, and with the top of the screen at this level anyway, it will be ideal for the final projected image.

I started this thread about six months into the project, after a winter of prep work involving demolition of the original finishes, relocating and rewiring all of the basement electrical circuits and moving a lot of old plumbing out of the way. This post takes off where the new construction and dedicated HT stuff is about to begin. Enjoy!

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Very cool. Just don't stand on the sofa :-)

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #3 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Seems like a plan.

Be happy you can do what your doing. I've seen 100 year old homes where this is not even remotely possible. Good luck.
post #4 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have seen worse spaces turned into prett darny nice HT's.

I don't have that much more space in my theater and I am happy with it. I even had a crowd of 10 people in it last weekend.
post #5 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 AM

Liked: 15
Go for it... I was in a similar situation about a year ago. I had to relocate ductwork and a gas line but I made it work. I even had to alter the main support beam of the house to allow for an entrance into the room (thank god my wife is a structural engineer).
I didn't insulate the ceiling joists and unless I really crank it up you can barely hear it upstairs. My finished ceiling height is 6.5 feet. I installed my projector the way you are describing and haven't had any heat issues.

I love the room and don't regret putting it in the basement.

Good Luck
post #6 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

So as promised, the first season's worth of progress in one post. After exactly a year in the house (which helped to confirm that the basement does indeed stay relatively dry), I started demolition last January and worked until May, when I stopped for the summer after our baby was born.

Some of the highlights:

During the renovation of the main plumbing system upstairs, our stack sprung a leak and discharged its entire load into the basement. Thankfully, I hadn't started on the project yet, but while cleaning this up, I was pretty despondent about this space ever being clean and decent, never mind an HT.

After gutting the existing finishes to the foundation and giving it a good cleaning, it started to feel better down there. Even with low headroom, the big windows (for an old basement) make it seem less claustrophobic. Along the main beam, you can see the old electrical lines (mostly first generation NM cable wrapped in fabric, with some older knob-and-tube) that I was tagging for replacement and relocation. I also had to relocate some supply and DWV pipes into joists and studs to avoid having soffits or protrusions.

Perimeter framing up and Dricore subfloor going in. It's pretty standard cold-weather construction. I repaired and parged some of the concrete blocks with cement - DryLok and other waterproofing membranes are pretty much useless with x number of unknown paint layers in the way. Poly moisture barrier to grade and underneath the stud walls and subfloor; 2x4 framing on sill gasket set back minimally from the uneven foundation. Once I've finished wiring, R-19 to R-24 insulation where there was absolutely none before.

As I mentioned, the slab is so uneven that I had to get -very- creative with a wild combination of Dricore stacking kits, cedar and PT shims, and Tapcons. It's not much of a floating floor now with so many screws through it, but at least it's relatively stable. Officially, it's far from level, but it feels pretty flat now, and should be even better with pad and carpet.

This is the current state of my build. It's SO much better with a completed subfloor, partition walls, and LIGHT. I spent most of last winter working with one halogen work lamp before I finally got the Halo cans wired in last week. Now I don't have to squint at the miter saw. Nothing too fancy with the controls here - just a trio of Lutron Maestro dimmers. The entire basement space is the size of one typical Grafik Eye zone! Eventually, I might replace them with the excellent Maestro IR system so they can at least be controlled from the remote or as part of a system macro.

Once the interior framing went up, it dawned on me that I had quite a bit of wasted space behind the new walls due to posts, beams and such. So I modified the studs earlier this week to accomodate a small equipment rack backing into the utility room for easy access and cable management, and a couple of long, shallow built-ins for media. I think they're great examples of HT features that translate perfectly into a small space. Others, like soffits and wall sconces, not so much!

QUESTIONS

Thanks to the excellent "Show us your screenwall" thread, I noticed that a stage is one thing that really helps to increase the ambience factor and make it look like a theater. I don't have much going on down there, so I've been toying with the idea of building a (very low) one - more of a step, really - at the screenwall. Seems like something that wouldn't impact space much, but would add a lot of character.

Thoughts on that?

Also, the sand that you guys fill it with - I presume for resonance damping and vibration control - how exactly does that work, where in relation to it are subs typically placed, and how do they interact? What would be the net effect of building a stage that isn't weighted down?

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #7 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd View Post

Very cool. Just don't stand on the sofa :-)

Stand on the sofa?? With a 6.5' finished ceiling height, I'm worried about standing up on the -floor- and smacking my head on the projector!!

post #8 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Liked: 10
Have you seen the Uptown Paridisio?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kirkk/uptownparadiso.html

I remember it as a low headroom theater - and one of my favorites of all. I hope I'm not wrong on that - the picture of the door supports my theory...
post #9 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Looks like you are making great progress but I'm puzzled by those horizontal braces on your exterior walls. Looks like untreated wood in contact with a cement wall? I understand the bottom plates, they are on top of the drycore.

As for stage, go for it. Sand goes under at least the areas under the sub(s), with insulation everywhere else. If your floor can take the weight you can join the "I can't believe I carried a ton of sand down to my basement club" and fill it all up.
post #10 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Looks like you are making great progress but I'm puzzled by those horizontal braces on your exterior walls. Looks like untreated wood in contact with a cement wall? I understand the bottom plates, they are on top of the drycore.

It's 1x strapping holding up the 8 mil moisture barrier. The plastic is bonded to the concrete with acoustic sealant, then another thick layer of sealant, followed by the strapping with a few tapcons to ensure the barrier stays in place. The 1xs are essentially a good 1/4" away from the foundation due to this, on the dry side of the poly.

I guess overbuilding would have dictated PT for that, but it's what I had around, and pretty common protocol around these parts.

Schneedoo and Superrabbit, thanks for the links. Great inspiration.

post #11 of 219 Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks good, can wait to see the end result. My theater has low head room as well only 7.5 in the middle 80" under the soffits.

http://web.mac.com/donkellogg/Cinema...a_Kellogg.html

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #12 of 219 Old 11-17-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool!

Ceiling height isn't nearly as important in a room you mainly sit in.

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
post #13 of 219 Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah for my Wife and I it's not bad. However my brothers and her father, brother are 6'7 and taller so.. It can get tight.. We are the only short ones in our families at 5'8"

The Cinema Kellogg

post #14 of 219 Old 11-17-2007, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any ideas for sub placement?

Obvious lazy choice is just to dump it up front, but that would really mess up the symmetry of the look, and with LCR also up there in such a tight space, I could have space problems.

Back of the room, behind the seating? Although LF is of course omnidirectional, I don't have much experience with that kind of setup. Would it work?

Other option is to steal some space from the utility room and "bury" it in the wall, as I did with the rack (my Paradigm PDR-10 is front facing, and I believe has a rear port). Would I build a niche in the wall? Build some kind of false room for it with an AT panel? I have no idea. Help?

Thanks a ton for stopping by. It's really great to have some support, even for such a humble little build!

post #15 of 219 Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Have a look at this

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspeakers&RoomsPt3.pdf

Do a search on Dr. Floyd E. Toole, he has done much tons of research, and written many white papers.

The Cinema Kellogg

post #16 of 219 Old 11-18-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Finished framing out the basement stairwell yesterday and took this evening off to unpack and play with the Optoma HD7100 for awhile! It's been so long since I've had a working setup that I had to root around for 15 minutes just to find a box of DVDs to play with!

Hooked it up to my laptop and a little portable iPod speaker thing and aimed it at the living room wall. It's a small space, so I managed to get a crisp and clear 5' wide image (versus 7' in the build). This is my first front projector, and all I can say is wow - I'm hooked. A great incentive to keep on going...

BTW, any suggestions on the sub placement? I'm leaning towards building out a highly insulated and damped niche off to the side of the stage to recess it into the utility room, but I'm worried about the effect of its small volume on the PDR-10's rear port...

post #17 of 219 Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Framing is done! I also pulled the rest of the low voltage cables today, so after the pink stuff and vapor barrier go up this week, it's off to the races with drywall. HD is delivering 50 sheets of the stuff, along with my cabinet MDF next weekend, so hauling that into the basement will be fun.

Doing the LV runs was a fun job - you really start to visualize the space as a HT rather than some random room. This is a convenience outlet I put in by the seating area for laptops; a VGA to the projector plus a couple of RG6 lines for analog/digital audio to the rack. Right at the back you can see the extra nailers for the left and center speaker mounts as well as their cables.

Framing for the projector ceiling recess. It's 6" deep to swallow the Omnimount I bought and puts the HD7100 lens right at the ceiling line. Aside from the Belden VGA going to the convenience outlet, there's a run to the rack consisting of MonsterVideo3 component and S-video, Belden HDMI, and a spare Cat5e which might come in handy for triggers or IR one day. I also ran romex from this outlet to a dead box by the rack. I'll have to source one of those power inlets or else do the power cable-splice-bushing trick at the box as I'd like to feed the PJ from the Belkin PureAV FP60 power filter I just ordered.

I decided to try recessing the sub off to stage right to save space and streamline the screen wall. My SW is front-firing, but I have no idea at this point what the sonic effect will be. I'm going to overbuild the niche just in case, with extra framing, insulation, double drywall construction and sand in the base as well as in the adjacent stage sections.

I also took apart the lighting circuit and added a gang for future expansion. The GEs are a bit of a budget buster right now for me (even on ebay), but I may eventually go with some sort of powerline carrier solution like Smarthome's Insteon line, and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to take the wall apart to accomodate a controller.

post #18 of 219 Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Another blockbuster weekend - I finished up the last of the insulation and vapor barrier last week and took delivery of the sheetrock, plywood and MDF (for the stage and cabinetry) on Saturday. Our driveway was way too narrow for the Home Depot forklift so they had to leave it at the curb. To add insult to injury, the side entrance to the basement is so cramped that we could just barely slide in one sheet at a time, so my buddy and I had to shuttle back and forth all morning, tackling the pile piece by piece.

Once we got it in there though, we were flying. My brother came over to help and between the three of us, we got most of the ceiling in place by the end of the day. Another one of the benefits of ridiculously low headroom is that you don't need a drywall lift, ladders or stilts to work the ceiling. Just heave it over your head and start fastening.

The next morning, I managed to get most of the walls at the screen end hung. I think I over-ordered sheetrock, so if I have spare sheets I may DD the front since the LCRs are wall-mounted and it would be nice to have a little extra mass and stiffness up there.

After cleaning up a bit, I ran another set of projector tests to make sure everything still lined up. There's just enough room for an 84"x48" (96" diagonal) 16:9 projection plus two inches of border per side, giving a respectable 32 degrees of viewing angle from 12 feet back. You can see just how small this space is from my table saw in the doorway - it's a portable model, but absolutely dominates the room when I'm using it.

With the size nailed down, I ordered a 90" swath of Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision for my DIY screen. With the short throw and pretty good light control down there, I figured sacrificing some unnecessary gain for deeper blacks would be a good trade. Seeing the walls up, I'm also really happy with the location of the AV stack. My original design (before I became an AVS junkie) had the equipment in a standard low console beneath the screen. This will be much more polished.

Overall, a good weekend. A few more hanging sessions and I should be good to start taping and mudding (yuck).

post #19 of 219 Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wow... That's some good progress for a weekend. It's no joke when you haul in all that material hang the ceiling and then still have the stregnth and ability to get up the next day and do walls.

Coming together nicely, keep up the good work.
post #20 of 219 Old 12-03-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
You are cranking it really is a huge help having people help along the way. Some days I wish I had someone to motivate me to get mine finished. I guess I should take down the projector from a spare room that I have it set up in

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #21 of 219 Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It looks like you have made some great decisions ,it looks great so far. Have you considered HT recliners ? At least with the ones I have you could do two rows of three easily. Thanks for the pictures.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #22 of 219 Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

BTW, any suggestions on the sub placement? I'm leaning towards building out a highly insulated and damped niche off to the side of the stage to recess it into the utility room, but I'm worried about the effect of its small volume on the PDR-10's rear port...

I don't know if it applies to home audio, but I asume it would because a sub is a sub, but...in car audio, the clearance for a port to a wall only needs to be as large as the diameter of the port itself. And unless the niche you build is airtight, you don't have to worry about any bandpass effect
post #23 of 219 Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm pretty stoked that you guys with seriously kick-a$$ rooms are even stopping by. I'm also pretty sore from the marathon weekend and taking a couple of days off to work at my real job...

Art, I did consider recliners and even tried to source some mini-sized ones, but the reality is that the room is very narrow, and there are just more efficient ways of squeezing in another viewing position or two using other furniture, even if it's not strictly "dedicated HT".

On the dedicated side, however, I've been inspired by the awesome treatment-and-fabric solutions in some of the threads that have bubbled back to the top over the last few days. I was going to just finish the walls per a normal room, with paint, but I got to thinking that even with a tiny space, I could probably at least do the recommended work at the screenwall.

Originally, I was going to hang a DIY Da-Lite right on dark-grey painted drywall, but since that would likely jut out 1 to 1-1/2" anyway for the majority of the wall, I figured I could probably skip the DD and instead sacrifice 1-1/2" with 2x furring, which would allow me to add 1" Linacoustic behind the side strips, most importantly behind the rear-ported speakers at the bottom, and probably 1/2" behind the screen as well, if that makes any difference (although I imagine that most of the highs would just bounce off the non-AT screen fabric).

More problematic is treating the sidewalls up to ear level, where most of my first reflections are (I used the forum program to run a quick analysis) because of the door and rack along the right side.

Thought long and hard about this, but I might be able to squeeze in 1/2" Linacoustic behind an AT fabric in the wainscot style, running up to just under the bottom of the rack. I would break it at the door casing, and then do a separate panel on the door to sort of continue the look and line. I understand that standard practice is at least 1" and that a thinner layer will not trap as low, but is there any point at all in doing this?

Decisions, decisions.

post #24 of 219 Old 12-06-2007, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I definitely decided to go with a fabric-finish screenwall so I can squeeze an inch or two of OC-703 (actually OFI-48 in Canada) behind GOM. I even went as far as ordering some swatches of FR-701 and Anchorage fabrics in various grey tones - hopefully they will be here by the time I'm ready to choose paints and carpet. I'm going to fur it out with 3 inch nominal and lose 2 1/2 inches of depth, but this will place the false wall an inch deeper than the screen and create a little miniature shadowbox effect. I think it will pretty neat.

As for the sidewalls, I'm going to finish roughly first and haul out the equipment. I just don't have enough experience to recognize acoustic issues until I get a good listen in the room.

post #25 of 219 Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Awesome job. That is going to be a fantastic and comfortable space.

However, you have made a very critical mistake. Many of us on the forum have made this mistake so it's not the end of the world but does require your immediate attention.

You have set up your equipment in the room before you are finished. This is the beginning of the end. Tomorrow, you will have a folding chairs in there watching a movie. You'll be propping your center channel up on a milk crate. Your wife will come down to join you with popcorn. Before long, you will be comfortable with the idea that finished walls and floors are overrated. Thus, the last 20% of your theater will take 10x as long as the first 80%.

Mark my words and heed my warning.
post #26 of 219 Old 12-06-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
HeHe Patrick those words are so true I set my Projector speakers and HT seats up in a another part of my basement that is only half done also. That really slowed me down to a crawl

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #27 of 219 Old 12-07-2007, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Ha! Consider them marked! I carefully heeded the warnings of the forum ... and only brought the Optoma down to test the setup and then -immediately- brought it back upstairs under the pretense that a drywall mudding zone was no place for a projector to be.

True, I do watch it occasionally upstairs, but thanks to the way the living room is, it must be balanced precariously on a stool in the doorway in order to throw properly, and then hooked up to my iPod dock for sound - every single time. Therefore, watching anything on it is a royal pain involving much setup, so I actually find it easier most nights to just put on my overalls and work downstairs. I believe this is a good thing

Interface Fabrics Canada kicks serious butt. I ordered GOM swatches 48 hours ago, and they showed up yesterday via UPS overnight. Awesome! I love the Anchorage fabric - it's a finer weave than standard FR701, and given the dimensions of the room (you're up close and personal with the walls a lot more than in a bigger space) it seems to suit the scale well. It's really nice in the Graphite, which is a warm dark grey:

Maybe with medium greyish walls (like BigMouthinDC's awesome color scheme, but a tone or two warmer). That fabric would make a nice bridge between that and the black/white of the screen.

Rock is up in the main HT room - just have to do the stairs and laundry this weekend, as well as shove some Roxul in the interior walls to help prevent resonance.

post #28 of 219 Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Another funny thing which should probably go in the "How do you know your wife is really on board?" thread - I wondered what sort of reaction I'd get when suggesting the OC703/GOM route since it's a rather unusual basement finish (in general terms).

By the time I got downstairs, she had already pinned the swatches on the screenwall, and was playing with the dimmers to check the light absorption. Lucky me.

post #29 of 219 Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post

Awesome job. That is going to be a fantastic and comfortable space.

However, you have made a very critical mistake. Many of us on the forum have made this mistake so it's not the end of the world but does require your immediate attention.

You have set up your equipment in the room before you are finished. This is the beginning of the end. Tomorrow, you will have a folding chairs in there watching a movie. You'll be propping your center channel up on a milk crate. Your wife will come down to join you with popcorn. Before long, you will be comfortable with the idea that finished walls and floors are overrated. Thus, the last 20% of your theater will take 10x as long as the first 80%.

This is probably the MOST important advice given in a long time.....

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #30 of 219 Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post

I submit as evidence the fact that I'm on my 4th projector bulb and my Room isn't complete.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page