Help Me Build my Home Theater PLEASE :0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok,
Let me start off by saying I'm a NOOB. A huge consideration for me is to keep the cost to a minimum DIY type job. I'm going to throw a block party and have all the neigbors come by and help out.

Now Help me build a decent looking room and keep me away from making some big mistakes. I'm going to attach a kind of floor plan on what I'm thinking of doing Nothing elaborate just something simple and clean. I've got all of my equpiment now I just need some guidance as to speaker position, screen size etc... Accustic positioning of materials all that fun stuff.

The room is 18'L x 20'W x8'H 2 windows. My idea is build a small stage in front about 6"-10" rectangular and then smooth the edges. Have second tier seeting 5' from back wall. Raise the floor 6" Some acustic paneling on the sides of the screen and perhaps drape the entire room.

My equipment:
Audio:
PSB Silver Stratus Front's
PSB Silver Stratus Minis for Rear
PSB Silver Stratus Center Channel
2 PSP SubSonic 3i Subs 15" Woofers sealed enclosure 800W each. NICE! Shake the very ground!
4 BASS SHAKERS 2 under first and the other two under the front couch as if the subs wern't enough lol.
2 Mission Series Sorround Back speakers for 7.1 channel

Amps:
Pioneer Elite TSX-36 Reciver
Pioneer Elite A35 R 2channel Stero AMP Runs 7.1
Pioneer Elite A35 R 2channel Stero AMP Runs Bass Shakers

Remote: Philips Pronto

Video:
Sharp XR-10X 720p 1080i PJ ceiling mount.
Screen I have an 80"W x 84"L rachet type screen I got for free cant complain.
I'll probablly make my own screen though as these dimensions dont quite fit.

Sources:
HD-DVD : Not sure yet will see what comes out for Christmas
HTPC: PC setup for gaming surfing etc...
XBOX-360 component video

My build starts in two weeks. I need to coordinate the neigbors. I need help in speaker placement and suggestions and recomendations on postion of equipment etc... My biggest concern is what am I going to do with the walls? I've got two windows. I was thinking of draping the whole room? Thoughts and oppionins please. I'm attaching a diagram please look it over and help me decide what's best.

Some things I've been thinking about.
1) Paint front wall flat black
2) Paint ceiling like an earthy not to dark brown or baige.
3) build out screen with BOC material and wood frame mount if off the wall by a couple of inches instead of framing screen. Size is yet to be determined.
4) I'm going to mount the pj about 17" from the lense to screen. From Projector Central calculator calculations that's approxametly 127" Screen Diagnol. 62"H and 111"W for 16x9 To be honest I'd like to go bigger but I dont think my room is big enough.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-22-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have a question, how do you know where to place the speakers, subs and listening position already? Have you done an acoustical analysis of the room? Seems to me you are building this theater more around the video aspect rather than sonically. How do you know you will need acoustical panelling? Just a little advice, deal with the sound first then the video will play out in the end. Video should be the last step you take. As it is right now, you may be making drastic mistakes already without a sound analysis. Good luck!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #3 of 4 Old 11-22-2007, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
How do I do a sound analysis? Is there an easy way or do I have to bring in a professional?
post #4 of 4 Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Go to the Home Acoustics Alliance website at: www.homeacoustics.net They have some very interesting articles on basic acoustic theory.

Marc Ye
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page