16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 398 Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TF Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Under the new floor in my basement
Posts: 1,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice house, theater and equipment! As others have said, excellent job!!
TF Ghost is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 398 Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
update

Regency Park Family Theater


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
osofast240sx is offline  
post #273 of 398 Old 01-16-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Calbear,

Missed an opportunity to stop by last week while in Stockton, CA. Could not hail you on the Phone.

I know....it's hard to hear the phone ring when the Theater is pumping out 118 db.

Harder still to find time to write or call when your reviewing every movie in your collection....just for the sheer thrill of doing so.

Sawright though.....hopefully a renewed Hue & Cry by the adoring Masses will persuade you to set a deffinate date when you will throw open the Doors, fire up the Corn Popper, install the keg under the Tap, and basically..............,

GET ON WITH IT, DUDE!!!!!!


To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is offline  
post #274 of 398 Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

More pics. Still painting the gold trim detail around the columns.

Close-up of the carpet:






Carpet pad installed on stage:

were can i get a carpet likt this?

Regency Park Family Theater


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
osofast240sx is offline  
post #275 of 398 Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TSHA222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: barely within my means
Posts: 1,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Is this thing finished? Did you end up using the RS-1 on that monster screen? I'd love to see some more screen shots! Thanks.
TSHA222 is offline  
post #276 of 398 Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adammb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 1,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Calbear, Could you PM me the info on how you did your screen material? I am looking to do something similar but not as big as you and was interested by what you did.

Adam

My Theater build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adammb is offline  
post #277 of 398 Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi jamis, Kaido, and TF Ghost,
Thanks for your comments. Sorry it took me so long to respond.


Hi osofast240sx,
I provided the information on post #221. I have copied it below for your convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

Hi pmeyer and barhoram,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
It is a Stanton Carpet, from Royal Dutch Carpets. It is called Dominique, and it is found in the Earnest Collection, color 20933 Black Almond.
Here is the direct link to it: http://www.stantoncarpet.com/Product...D=89&SKUID=429

They offer some additional nice patterns as well so make sure to check out that manufacturer's website.

Good luck.


My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #278 of 398 Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi TSHA222,
It's pretty much done.
We're still trying to figure out some final stuff, so we've been delayed once again.
I did purchase two reclining-type seats for my wife and I to use in the meantime. I couldn't pass them up for the price (saw them on the K-Mart thread, and they're actually pretty darn good), so they have been allowing my wife and I to still enjoy watching movies in there while we complete the tiny detail stuff. In the near future, we will replace them with other ones, such as Berklines, and designate them for our smaller theater room where our 8' 2.35:1 screen and Planar projecter reside.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #279 of 398 Old 03-20-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi adammb,
You should get in contact with MississippiMan, as he can provide you some excellent information about the build. Otherwise, if you want my contractor's contact info, I can get that for you. However, his english is not the best, and MississippiMan can provide you with 98% of the details on how Juan Carlos did it.

Sorry that I missed you while you were out here MississippiMan! Give me a head's up the next time you're out here.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #280 of 398 Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

Hi jamis, Kaido, and TF Ghost,
Thanks for your comments. Sorry it took me so long to respond.


Hi osofast240sx,
I provided the information on post #221. I have copied it below for your convenience.

thanks, any updates

Regency Park Family Theater


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
osofast240sx is offline  
post #281 of 398 Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Newbie
 
Isky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well first let me start by saying how amazing this home theater of yours is! I found you by accident 2 nights ago and ever since have been drooling over and going back and forth all your pages.

Im about to start on my own theater project, with my working area being 8 meters x 8 meters, but a height of sadly only 8 feet ( I might squeeze an extra foot out if I dig down before putting my slab in.

What I also love is the keenness, eagerness and helpfulness you have in helping others with their dream theaters. That's a credit to you and certainly shows your passion....well done

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some in depth info on how you created your starfeild ceiling? I was going to use the isky ceiling drop in panel system (totally no relation to my user name by the way lol) but after finding out the price think ill give it a miss. Besides id find it more rewarding doing it myself as you have plus they require dropping a couple of inches from my existing ceiling which is something I cant spare.

Some of the questions I have are:

1.You look as though you have a couple of rolls of the fiber optic cable in a few of the pics. Is it possible to find out where you purchased it from and what is the exact name of the product you used? Im having all sorts of dramas in this department. Ive seen kits that you can buy to do this yourself but the cable is only 2-3 meters long which sucks. Are you using different thicknesses to achieve different sized stars? Or do you just melt a larger size ball at the end of the stars you want to appear bigger?

2.Wow you melted the ends! Ive never herd of this...it sound interesting and a nicer finish than just gluing from the opposite side and cutting flush as Ive read most others do. Where did you get that idea from! And where do you find these melting devices!

3.Do you have the cables connected to a spinning wheel to give you a twinkle affect? Or are they just constantly on...either or I think would look awesome! Just curious

4.What is your ceiling made from?

5.Did you just randomly drill holes to feed the cables through or did you project an image or use a stencil to follow?

6.and finally...how did you do it lol! Did you have access from above and work from there or did you do it on the floor on separate panels and lift them up? Where is you control switch?

Hey sorry for the 20 questions Calbear. Like I said I was super psyched when I saw what you had done. I m thinking of using your layout in my own HT (hope you dont mind) I love the simple way you just seemed to lay lighting cable in the open cornice to give the glow effect! So easy and effective! as well as hiding the speakers in the columns.
I can see im going to develop some rather nice cabinet making skills after seeing your handy work.

Thanks for sharing Calbear

Isky

ps i agree with Kaido...your my hero too
Isky is offline  
post #282 of 398 Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Isky....

Welcome to AVS and this most excellent example of the Art of Home Theater Design!

I'm planning a trip to Perth not long from now. (Flying cheap these days...) It's just a short hike across the Northern territory to Brisbane, eh mate?

You have a PM.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is offline  
post #283 of 398 Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Newbie
 
Isky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MississippiMan hi,

Thanks for the offer mate...we'll see. I doubt ill have anything worth while to show you by that stage that cant be shown in pics etc But ill certainly stay in touch. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Isky
Isky is offline  
post #284 of 398 Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isky View Post

Well first let me start by saying how amazing this home theater of yours is! I found you by accident 2 nights ago and ever since have been drooling over and going back and forth all your pages.

Im about to start on my own theater project, with my working area being 8 meters x 8 meters, but a height of sadly only 8 feet ( I might squeeze an extra foot out if I dig down before putting my slab in.

What I also love is the keenness, eagerness and helpfulness you have in helping others with their dream theaters. That's a credit to you and certainly shows your passion....well done

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some in depth info on how you created your starfeild ceiling? I was going to use the isky ceiling drop in panel system (totally no relation to my user name by the way lol) but after finding out the price think ill give it a miss. Besides id find it more rewarding doing it myself as you have plus they require dropping a couple of inches from my existing ceiling which is something I cant spare.

Some of the questions I have are:

1.You look as though you have a couple of rolls of the fiber optic cable in a few of the pics. Is it possible to find out where you purchased it from and what is the exact name of the product you used? Im having all sorts of dramas in this department. Ive seen kits that you can buy to do this yourself but the cable is only 2-3 meters long which sucks. Are you using different thicknesses to achieve different sized stars? Or do you just melt a larger size ball at the end of the stars you want to appear bigger?

2.Wow you melted the ends! Ive never herd of this...it sound interesting and a nicer finish than just gluing from the opposite side and cutting flush as Ive read most others do. Where did you get that idea from! And where do you find these melting devices!

3.Do you have the cables connected to a spinning wheel to give you a twinkle affect? Or are they just constantly on...either or I think would look awesome! Just curious

4.What is your ceiling made from?

5.Did you just randomly drill holes to feed the cables through or did you project an image or use a stencil to follow?

6.and finally...how did you do it lol! Did you have access from above and work from there or did you do it on the floor on separate panels and lift them up? Where is you control switch?

Hey sorry for the 20 questions Calbear. Like I said I was super psyched when I saw what you had done. I m thinking of using your layout in my own HT (hope you dont mind) I love the simple way you just seemed to lay lighting cable in the open cornice to give the glow effect! So easy and effective! as well as hiding the speakers in the columns.
I can see im going to develop some rather nice cabinet making skills after seeing your handy work.

Thanks for sharing Calbear

Isky

ps i agree with Kaido...your my hero too

Hi Isky,
Welcome to AVSForum and my thread. Thank you for your kind words. I think you are being too generous with them!
To answer your questions, I believe the best route will have been to direct you to MississippiMan, since he suggested the idea of a starfield to me, as well as arranged for all the details, including the hardware and the process. He is extremely knowledgeable, and I am sure that his PM was very thorough in answering your questions. For the benefit of our fellow members, I will try to answer your questions briefly.

1. I don't recall the vendor for the fiber optic cable. MississippiMan is a good point of contact to provide that information. I bought two large spools of continuous fiber optic cable. If memory serves me correctly (and MississippiMan please interject if my memory failed me), they were each 1500 meter spools. The thickness of the cable is all the same. You will find that most of the stars which comprise the Milky Way are of the same size, and the constellation stars (which twinkle) are of the same size, although seemingly larger and definitely brighter than the Milky Way stars.

2. I believe the concept behind the melting of the ends was from the manufacturer, since they recommend purchasing a little tool which connects a wire, and with a variable voltage knob, can increase the heat given through the wire. This is held straight and moved across the ends of the fiber optic cable, which melts it off pretty much instanteously and at the same time, "mushrooms" the end of cable. This permits you to push the end back up to make it flush with the ceiling. I also think the mushrooming also allows a better view of the light, as it is now more of a globe, rather than a snipped off and sharp end. The manufacturer actually asks you to put a deposit for the tool, and once you are done with it, you can return it for your deposit amount. For reference of what the tool looks like, you can go back to my post #197, which provide pictures and details of the little makeshift frame that I made for the wire.

3. The 1000+ cables are all connected into a box which contains a spinning wheel. There are preset holes in the box where it designates the Milky Way stars, the constellation stars, as well as the two sets of "shooting stars" that we have situated in the front and the middle of the ceiling. You also have the option of adding colored cellophane filters, which change the color of your stars. I have not played with it, as the default without any color filters looks the most realistic.

4. The ceiling is actually drywall with smoothed out plaster, and painted with the flattest darkest black paint I could find.

5. I had to tell them the size of my ceiling, and they custom made a template which had the markings for the constellations and milky way stars. We could put the two shooting stars in any orientation we wished, but the rest of the 920+ stars were placed in specific locations and orientation.

6. With the templates taped into place, the manufacturer provided us the correct drill bits to make 1000+ tiny holes. They were drilled from inside the room. Once the holes were done, then we had to decide where the box would be placed. This would allow us to decide how far each group of 10 stars were from the box, and have us cut ten cables accordingly. The 10 cables would be bundled together, and then taken up to the crawlspace, where each cable would be fed down to each hole and then placed where the box was located. You can imagine this had to be done a 100+ times. It was very tedious work, and crawling on your belly in the hot, short, and cramped crawlspace/attic was very unpleasant. In addition, all the insulation had to be taken away and moved to be placed back after completion. This was a pain, since each insulation section was not the same, so you had to take tabs on where they belonged as they were taken away. I am lucky that I had a contractor willing to go up there and do it. He was the right size to fit up there, and is a hard worker, so the difficult part of the starfield ceiling was mostly done by him. I did the work from inside the room, including melting all the ends after we painted the ceiling black. The lighting control for the stars is connected to my Lutron GrafikEye system. Unfortunately, the lights do not dim. They are either on or they are off, but I do not necessarily see that as a limitation.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask me, although I can not promise that I will get back to you in a timely manner (as a number of members who have read my thread can vouch that my updates are few and far between). However, I will state that MississippiMan is on AVSForum all the time, and he can promptly and thoroughly be able to answer your questions.

I am happy that you can take some styling inspirations and layout from my theater. I wish you luck with your project and look forward to seeing your thread posted soon. Please be sure to come back here and provide a link once you get started.

Take care.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #285 of 398 Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

Hi Isky,
Welcome to AVSForum and my thread. Thank you for your kind words. I think you are being too generous with them!
To answer your questions, I believe the best route will have been to direct you to MississippiMan, since he suggested the idea of a starfield to me, as well as arranged for all the details, including the hardware and the process. He is extremely knowledgeable, and I am sure that his PM was very thorough in answering your questions. For the benefit of our fellow members, I will try to answer your questions briefly.

I could never do that......

Quote:


1. I don't recall the vendor for the fiber optic cable. MississippiMan is a good point of contact to provide that information. I bought two large spools of continuous fiber optic cable. If memory serves me correctly (and MississippiMan please interject if my memory failed me), they were each 1500 meter spools. The thickness of the cable is all the same.

Yes...1500 meters ea. Fiber Diameter is 1 Millimeter

Quote:


You will find that most of the stars which comprise the Milky Way are of the same size, and the constellation stars (which twinkle) are of the same size, although seemingly larger and definitely brighter than the Milky Way stars.

Actually that is reversed. The majority of Stars, the Milky Way Stars twinkle. Constellation Stars (far fewer) are of a constant illumination...just as they are above us. They appear larger because of this constant illumination. Planets can also be accommodated by placing two Fibers in a larger, reamed out hole. By coloring the last 6" with a indelible marker (Red for Mars...a light "bright" Blue for Venus...) and putting those fibers also in with the Constellation group, they become very noticeable fixtures.

Quote:


2. I believe the concept behind the melting of the ends was from the manufacturer, since they recommend purchasing a little tool which connects a wire, and with a variable voltage knob, can increase the heat given through the wire. This is held straight and moved across the ends of the fiber optic cable, which melts it off pretty much instantaneously and at the same time, "mushrooms" the end of cable. This permits you to push the end back up to make it flush with the ceiling. I also think the mushrooming also allows a better view of the light, as it is now more of a globe, rather than a snipped off and sharp end. The manufacturer actually asks you to put a deposit for the tool, and once you are done with it, you can return it for your deposit amount. For reference of what the tool looks like, you can go back to my post #197, which provide pictures and details of the little makeshift frame that I made for the wire.

It's called a Variac Transformer. The wire becomes "red hot" and care must be taken to not burn it 'apart' with too much voltage. Also, it'll most assuredly will leave you branded if you are not careful.
When pulling the Fibers, enough slack is held back just above the Ceiling to allow one to pull at least 8"" below the ceiling into the room, while still leaving a couple inches of slack above. Then the Ceiling is sprayed....covering the exposed Fibers with paint. Lastly, with a gentle tug to expose some unpainted Fiber, the Fiber is melted, then pushed back up against the Ceiling. One thing to consider....the Fiber Optic Cable is by far the largest expenditure, so you don't want "wastage". Judicious planning and effective layout design is required to assure that enough Fiber length remains at each end to work with, while also assuring that you don't run out of Fiber before the end of the Project.

Quote:


3. The 1000+ cables are all connected into a box which contains a spinning wheel. There are preset holes in the box where it designates the Milky Way stars, the Constellation stars, as well as the two sets of "shooting stars" that we have situated in the front and the middle of the ceiling. You also have the option of adding colored cellophane filters, which change the color of your stars. I have not played with it, as the default without any color filters looks the most realistic.

...and what a painstaking amount of detail work it is to poke those Fibers through the small, closely grouped 1 mil. holes on the Plate on the Box! Those also have to be "melted" to prevent their being pulled out.

Quote:


4. The ceiling is actually drywall with smoothed out plaster, and painted with the flattest darkest black paint I could find.

Drywall installations seem the best as far as incorporating such a design element into a conventional room.

Quote:


5. I had to tell them the size of my ceiling, and they custom made a template which had the markings for the constellations and milky way stars. We could put the two shooting stars in any orientation we wished, but the rest of the 920+ stars were placed in specific locations and orientation.

The Star Field Design chosen was the Night Sky as seen in Winter in the Southern Hemisphere. It's a stunning visual effect...one that really cannot even begin to be done justice in photos.

Quote:


6. With the templates taped into place, the manufacturer provided us the correct drill bits to make 1000+ tiny holes. They were drilled from inside the room. Once the holes were done, then we had to decide where the box would be placed. This would allow us to decide how far each group of 10 stars were from the box, and have us cut ten cables accordingly. The 10 cables would be bundled together, and then taken up to the crawlspace, where each cable would be fed down to each hole and then placed where the box was located. You can imagine this had to be done a 100+ times. It was very tedious work, and crawling on your belly in the hot, short, and cramped crawlspace/attic was very unpleasant. In addition, all the insulation had to be taken away and moved to be placed back after completion. This was a pain, since each insulation section was not the same, so you had to take tabs on where they belonged as they were taken away. I am lucky that I had a contractor willing to go up there and do it. He was the right size to fit up there, and is a hard worker, so the difficult part of the starfield ceiling was mostly done by him.

Thank God for large favors!!! Labor costs are by far the most daunting aspect of having a specialized Installer do such a system. calbear's man, Juan Carlos really didn't have a clue at the start what he was getting into by having to crawl around on his belly in a Attic in near summer heat for a few days, poking his nose between Studs and squinting to see tiny "Pin Prick-like' holes. I'll say this on his behalf; I don't think I've ever met a single individual in my 30+ years with A/V that has ever shown the desire out of hand to tackle a specific chore about which he knew so little, yet be so determined to do it right the first time. I'd steal him away if I could...but I dare not. He's too much competition for my beer supply. Can't have that!!!

Quote:


I did the work from inside the room, including melting all the ends after we painted the ceiling black. The lighting control for the stars is connected to my Lutron GrafikEye system. Unfortunately, the lights do not dim. They are either on or they are off, but I do not necessarily see that as a limitation.

The Light Engine / Illuminator employs a Metal Halide bulb w/Transformer that cannot accommodate a "dimmer". Intensity is controlled by use of a "Gray Blanket Filter" if such is needed. It seldom is.

Quote:


If you have further questions, please feel free to ask me, although I can not promise that I will get back to you in a timely manner (as a number of members who have read my thread can vouch that my updates are few and far between). However, I will state that MississippiMan is on AVSForum all the time, and he can promptly and thoroughly be able to answer your questions.

I'm glad to do so for any/everybody so interested. Individuals such as calbear who ask for advice, take it to breast, and then work additionally all the more harder than expected to make it all that it can be are the true motivation for helping others realize such dreams. While this Theater is most assuredly not a "budget' effort, don't even think that a great deal of time and consideration was not spent as to making it 'affordable'. calbear is nothing if not practical in all his decisions...and I applaud his efforts as being both resplendent, inspiring to the maximum, and a source of justifiable pride for all those involved.

Quote:


I am happy that you can take some styling inspirations and layout from my theater. I wish you luck with your project and look forward to seeing your thread posted soon. Please be sure to come back here and provide a link once you get started.

Take care.

Isky, you absolutely must do that !!!! 'Tis mandatory to give back into the Fold if help is just as freely given. If your project is started when I get down under, I'll snap some shots myself. That is....if the Saltys don't "snap" me first while I'm surfing.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is offline  
post #286 of 398 Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Actually that is reversed. The majority of Stars, the Milky Way Stars twinkle. Constellation Stars (far fewer) are of a constant illumination...just as they are above us. They appear larger because of this constant illumination.

I hate to correct you MississippiMan, but I had it right. As I type this (on my new Asus EeePC 1000HE... love this netbook!), I am looking up and I can clearly see that the constellation stars are much brighter than the Milky Way stars, and that they twinkle. The Milky Way stars do not twinkle at all.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #287 of 398 Old 03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
I love a good whuppin'

But......the last time someone described that sort of situation, it was because the Aluminum Template all the fibers were inserted into was installed on the face of the Illuminator upside down. It's not uncommon....because I did it once as well. The darn Illuminator looks exactly the same on all sides except when viewing the enclosure from the front "plate' side opposite the lamp cover. The correct location of the Fiber Plate should be at the bottom of the Front of the Illuminator. But since the Plate can go on right side up or upside down, things can get wacky. I could not fathom why it wasn't "to spec." but after a call to the Mfg. he set me straight. Luckily I had enough slack left to accommodate flipping the template over. Others have had to keep it in place and flip the Illuminator 180 degrees. That works fine though.

Constellation Stars are supposed to be bright...and they should always be constant so as to plainly show the shape of the Zodiac signs. . The Milky Way stars, on the ceiling and in real life, are the Stars you see twinkling.

Don't take my word for it though.....stay up tonight and see for yerself.

How about the Shooting Stars.....do they track from Right to Left or vice versa?

Should be R to L. The Wheel goes Clockwise and the Plate should be at the bottom of the Illuminator.

I'll send you a Pdf. File of the installation manual so you can also read the Mfg's description.

What amusing is that how the ceiling obviously impresses anyway.

What won't be nearly so amusing is if I'm wrong.


To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is offline  
post #288 of 398 Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could not have installed it incorrectly, as there are many more Milky Way "holes" on the template than there were for the Constellations, so I know I installed it per the instructions. In addition, I can see from the mechanism of the spinning wheel and the holes that it would definitely be the Constellation stars which are twinkling.

If in fact you are correct, then the manufacturer screwed up my plate and/or my spinning wheel filter system.

I think it would be nice to see the Milky Way twinkle instead of the Constellations, but I am not going to go through that process again of having to install each and every fiber optic cable end into each of the nearly-microscopic holes in a cramped attic (yes, I actually did that part) for the next two or three days. I have to add for Isky's sake that when you do install the ends into the plate, that you want to randomly insert them in the left to right positions so that stars throughout the ceiling randomly twinkle. Otherwise, if you installed them all from left to right as where they are located on the ceiling, then when you turn on the wheel, you will have everything twinkle in sync from the left part of the room to right side, which would give you a "stadium wave" scenario. Of course this would look completely odd and unrealistic.

The two sets of shooting stars work correctly, as they move in the two directions that I intended.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #289 of 398 Old 03-25-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
No, all you'd have to do is remove the Plate, turn it 180 degrees around like a steering wheel, and remount it. Then the "curve" of the Plate will be in the right location in relation to the Rotating Wheel and the specific filters intervals.

Of course there would be no way to mistake Milky Way Fiber holes from Constellations holes. As you said, the ratio is about 85:1

Now you did suggest a possibility....that the Mfg themselves might have screwed up. Well, I ragged them on that when I had my issue and later had to eat Crow when i finally described what I was seeing correctly.

The single most telling info is that the Shooting Stars transition correctly correctly, and that the "flash" travels smoothly and at the same brightness. The amount of light that leaks into the Faceplate area is great enough that even if the area where the bases of the Fibers don't pass directly in front of a "opening', if they are close (and being upside down is still close) they will still light up. In this case though, the Majority of the MW stars are getting the benefit of the "open direct light" strip, and the Constellations get the "leakage'...or most of the intended diffused and sporadic MW light.

Now IF the Mfg had the Hole Positions on the Plate for the unit horribly backwards in relation to the Color / Light window positions...that could be the answer.

Even if so, as long as that is the issue, they'd send you a correctly done unit, or in the very least replace the Wheel on yours.

Basically...as you pointed out, there is no way the actual Fibers in the Plate could be the issue. You only put them in their respective holes, and through only one side, the side opposite of the "Stop Plate" the melted ends rest up against.

But as I said...a simple issue like taking that Plate off the Illuminator, turning it around and checking to see the "curve' of the rear Stop Plate matches the Curve of the Wheel. It being upside down can be all that is involved. And if so, simply removing 4 screws...and either twisting the bundle so the Plate is then right side up, and then just replacing the Plate (about 3-4 minutes work) and the Problem is...should be solved.

I can say this, they'll expect you to take that Plate off and note if the inside Filter/Plate stop is curved in a "outside radius" corresponding with the outside radial arc of the Wheel. Because there can't really be another another reason. Reasonably. But you at least have to look.

look at this...



As you remember, you had to remove the inside "Stop" Plate on the Fiber Mounting Plate to allow yourself to push through the Fibers far enough so that you could manage them until you melted them all. When that Plate is replaced, if it's upside down, that would account for the reversal of MW and Constellation luminosity.

None of the proposed "fixes involve removal of Fiber...and are primarily involving the removal and re-installation of screws. If the interior Plate must be turned over to get you the proper effect....then I'd think that would be an effort well worth "the Crawl" and 5-10 minutes of work.

Too bad we missed each other last Month....you can bet I'd of noticed. And moved quickly to correct. Ahhh...the the BBQ would have sizzled! As I said it isn't a big issue at all...but it does affect how the "effect' is presented.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is offline  
post #290 of 398 Old 03-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Newbie
 
Isky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! sorry for my delayed reply...i was expecting to get email notices or something if i had received replies to comments etc...Ill get use to this thread/forum thing Gees for a minute there i though id opened up a can of worm about the twinkleness of your ceiling Calbear...At least you'll be seeing a major difference once its sorted You should put it on youtube or something so every one can check it out.

Thank you both for giving me so much handy advice! Even though im still along way off starting im so excited with the thought of what will come that Ive already done a lot of planing. The starfield ceiling method ive decided to adopt is based on 'sandmanX' method on this site. It looks to be the cleanest simplest way to go...and the fact they are dimable is a bonus, even if i agree with Calbear and dont see it as a limitation if their not. Plus no crawling on my tum! Especially in the Australian heat.

I actually just called my dad after sending him some pics of what i need to do the ceiling. After telling him it will probably cost me 1500-2000 to complete the project he just laughed and said "you know my boy...i have quite a few suppliers that specialize in fiber optics and that rely on me to keep there business going (my dad loves big noting himself btw ) I can get you as much as you want for free, i spend millions with them....Im actually standing in a crap load of off cuts as we speak"

My father designs and installs satellite communication equipment for the Civil Aviation Authority and is in charge of all the ordering for country wide projects as well. So yeah im getting a lot of samples of sheathed cable with up to 50 fiber optics in each. All i need to do is open the sheath a foot or two and wha la Plus when i mentioned the Variac meter he told me they have quite a few at work and he'd just bring one home when i need it....SWEET!! That's a great tip! Thanks

I certainly will start a thread when i have things to report! I want to start one now and show pics of how it looks now...but there will be two much time between drinks im afraid I still have to get my deck plans sorted. The HT will be going underneith. MississippiMan you'll be happy to hear ive narrowed my working space so the the dimensions are 25.59 feet long 18.5 wide and will dig down to achieve at least 9 feet of ceiling maybe even a bit more (finished i.e) The rest of the space will be my AV room and entry.

God Damn! who's thread is this anyway?!! Sorry folks Im outta here! thank you both and ill keep you up to date

Isky

ps MississippiMan you surf? Sweet! I fly hang gliders in my spare time...Surfing is something i need to learn!
Isky is offline  
post #291 of 398 Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
This last bit of telling advice.

SandmanX's cieling is not a accurate depiction of a starry sky. It's just lots of pretty little lights. (No disrespect intended) If you want realism, and effects that do more than just sit there like spots on a ceiling, doing a ceiling like calbear's is the way to go. Take the time to do it right....you'll be glad you did. Also, the company I'm PM'ing you about does the same type of detailed layouts on removable Ceiling Tiles and Styrofoam Panels.

You don't even have an attic to be concerned about you know. Your building a basement (ground floor really) room, and all you have to do is leave the floor boards un-fastened and remove then as you work the fibers from one location to another.

As for cost...I can help you with that And despite what "Dad" says, the cost of Fiber worldwide is pretty much the same per linear foot. Special effect Engines are not all that "Shop-able" price wise...they are what they are. If a particular engine provides realistic effects, that is what you pay for.

As in so many other things, there will always be those who say, "Do this...it's easier." But seldom does easy mean "better", if only unless one is trying to minimize work, not cost.

Ya know Isky...you should try "Kite Boarding'. It's the best of both worlds, and anyone who knows their way around Hang Gliding should be a natural. At least the landings are a lot softer if you goof.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is offline  
post #292 of 398 Old 05-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
WilsonL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking good!

Can't wait to see it.
WilsonL is offline  
post #293 of 398 Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Wilson. It's good to hear from you. You definitely need to stop by when you have some time.

Here are some updated pictures:

One of two racks with the EpiCenter HTPC and five Sony 200 DVD changers daisy-chained via firewire:




Screen and stage with temporary speakers in place. You can almost make out the tops of the first row of seats:




Close-up of screen, starfield, and front-right column showing the double crown molding uplights and fabric walls:




More starfield, crown molding uplight, and flush mounted light images:












And here is a teaser pic of what part of the front row of seats look like installed from a mouse's point of view:



More pics to come of the seats and the rest of the room.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #294 of 398 Old 05-07-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,305
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
As Ferris would say "it's so choice".



Art


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is offline  
post #295 of 398 Old 05-07-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More photos.

I should have closed the double doors in the back to give a better representation of what the theater would look like. However, since I wheeled the second rack with all the components (and temporarily placed the projector on one of the shelves) and wired all the speakers to the 906 receiver, I didn't want to disassemble it for the sake of the photo. I will update again when the rack is finally placed appropriately in the A/V room:














My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #296 of 398 Old 05-07-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
calbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Art,
Great quote! I love that movie.

I'm not sure why the color of the seats showed up much different that what you actually see in this particular photo. I guess the flash so up close to the seat washed it out.


My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calbear is offline  
post #297 of 398 Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
WilsonL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, really turning out good!
WilsonL is offline  
post #298 of 398 Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 14,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hello CB.

Gosh darn it. I'm in LA then San Diego all next week, but there's no time to jet up to say "Hi". Or even "WoW". Gotta get done and back to prep for a Uk / Belgium sojourn the 20th to 28th

Due to travel to Perth, AU (Screen stuff awaits) in July (7th) via LAX but I can arrange an extra day before hand if there is an impromtu desire for more of my BBQ.

Remember this?



Can the Baby chew yet?

BTW, any chance you might post up even a single Screenie? Double BTW....Your Stage / Screen presentation is superb. Star Field looks sublime (fixed?) And hows Carlos? Tried to reach him 2-3 times but no response. Give that hard workin' fella my email address, will ya?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
MississippiMan is offline  
post #299 of 398 Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shawnwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 3,005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey we have the same taste in carpet

Your theater is quite spectacular. Great job!

My Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shawnwalters is offline  
post #300 of 398 Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Member
 
jimlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

One of two racks with the EpiCenter HTPC and five Sony 200 DVD changers daisy-chained via firewire...

How are those holding up for you? Any misalignments yet?

I ended up with a Chenbro case holding 16 750GB drives (8.13TB in RAID 50) to store my movies on. So far, so good.
jimlab is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off