16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 398 Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

4. This question would require a thread in itself to answer it fully! Let me see if I can respond to this in a separate comment shortly.

Thank you for the response and I'm really looking forward to it...

Quote:

I also have new professional photographs to upload, so I'll post them shortly. They were taken of the theater and the rest of the house by Domus Magazine and another separate photographer, so fair warning for those who may find photos outside of the theater offensive (no car pictures, I promise).

It's your thread bro... if you want to post pics of the entire house, the cars, the family... That's entirely up to you... Most of us here LOVE to see them... especially in a home as "high end" as yours... If some cratchity jealous turdbirds don't like it, then let them go look at some other thread where they can feel better about themselves for telling someone how to best use a milk crate as a projector stand...

Don't let the small-minded get to you... Can't wait to see the professional photos...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

Well, if you had the same luck with 07 Cabs that many people did in CA that would be verrrry interesting.... Any idea what kind of distribution you get?

Edit: and if you happen to source some Syrah you could always do a Cab Syrah Merlot blend?

Hi scientest,
I have some very unique ideas for marketing our wine. I will make it public in about a month, so I'll let you and anyone else know about the details when it is available.
I can get some Petite Syrah, and have been thinking about that exact blend. Good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

jaws drop, walks away gob smacked, thinking this is the way a cinema should be done in the home..

congrats on the build I'd say it is 1 of the best ht's i've seen in a while...

Thanks for stopping by mystic_sniper28. I appreciate your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_zilla View Post

Thank you for the response and I'm really looking forward to it...

It's your thread bro... if you want to post pics of the entire house, the cars, the family... That's entirely up to you... Most of us here LOVE to see them... especially in a home as "high end" as yours... If some cratchity jealous turdbirds don't like it, then let them go look at some other thread where they can feel better about themselves for telling someone how to best use a milk crate as a projector stand...

Don't let the small-minded get to you... Can't wait to see the professional photos...

Hi Todd,
I'll work on getting that list for you.
True sentiments! I'll post the ones from Domus first.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #363 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I am required to give credit to Domus magazine, as they own the rights to these photographs.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #364 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Would you be willing to move your house to the midwest for the next home theater meet?
post #365 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Beautiful house! But those pics are terrible! Your house does not have the right look for the HDR (high dynamic range), tone mapped processing. It is way too classy for that style. Not to mention the terrible halos surrounding the house against the blue sky. The photographer should have used multiple exposures to bring out all the detail (or better lighting), but not by tone mapping.

Sorry for the rant, it just sickens me that your beautiful home is represented that way.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #366 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Beautiful house! I notice you have a DishDrawer dishwasher. Does it still work? I had a service call once because I left a l'il ol' fishbone on a plate. I built a new house a couple of years ago and passed on the DD this time. Too bad, it's a great concept!
post #367 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

Beautiful house! But those pics are terrible! Your house does not have the right look for the HDR (high dynamic range), tone mapped processing. It is way too classy for that style. Not to mention the terrible halos surrounding the house against the blue sky. The photographer should have used multiple exposures to bring out all the detail (or better lighting), but not by tone mapping.

Sorry for the rant, it just sickens me that your beautiful home is represented that way.

Thats the first thing that came to my mind also. Someone does not know how to edit their photos. Although it looks like they just saturated the crap out of the sky. The others dont look too bad although over saturated a bit but very nice house.

I agree you should move closer to the midwest. LOL

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #368 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 386
IMHO, HDR doesn't work for those pictures.
post #369 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:

I am required to give credit to Domus magazine, as they own the rights to these photographs.

I love that bathroom of yours. It is AWESOME!!! Why are you getting rid of your house?
post #370 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, quite a beautiful house.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #371 of 398 Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Photo issues or not... you have a truly beautiful home.
post #372 of 398 Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 AM

Beautiful house!! Must be nice to afford something so nice! Congratulations on your success! Photos look good to me and I can't believe people come on here and are criticizing them. Again, awsome home and car.

I saw those pics of your NSX also. Great cars. I'm a Honda and Acura guy also (much cheaper ones though, lol). I'm guessing that is the 2nd gen with the c32 engine?

I first built a civic running right at 400whp (turbo), then built a gsr integra with nitrous. Awsome cars!!! I drive an Infiniti g35 and a Lexus is250 now. Lexus is stock, the g35 has several mods.

Lastly, you have an awsome theater. My favorite thing about it is your Forethought of making the actual room sit 2' or so lower than the rest of the floor and you actually walk down into the room from the back. Just awsome
post #373 of 398 Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Would you be willing to move your house to the midwest for the next home theater meet?

Thanks for checking out the thread warrenP. I wish I could transplant this home anywhere I desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

Hi In2Photos,
Seeing your member name, I can understand why you are critical of the photos. Do be honest, I had no control of the photographs, nor how they were going to edit them. I don't have an experienced eye when it comes to photography, so I personally thought the pictures looked good, especially in print. However, I appreciate the feedback, as I'll have to keep it in mind if I ever start playing around with Photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Beautiful house! I notice you have a DishDrawer dishwasher. Does it still work? I had a service call once because I left a l'il ol' fishbone on a plate. I built a new house a couple of years ago and passed on the DD this time. Too bad, it's a great concept!

Hi erkq,
We do have the Fisher Paykel double dishdrawer machine. They do still work. I'm sorry you have had problems with them. We typically just use one for washing and the other for storage, since it is only the three of us and we can't seem to fill up both drawers at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

Thats the first thing that came to my mind also. Someone does not know how to edit their photos. Although it looks like they just saturated the crap out of the sky. The others dont look too bad although over saturated a bit but very nice house.

I agree you should move closer to the midwest. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

IMHO, HDR doesn't work for those pictures.

Thanks for the feedback on the pictures adammb and Stereodude. I will forward both In2Photos and your suggestions to Domus. Like I said, I don't have much knowledge of photography, but it's great that some members here have as much enthusiasm for other hobbies as they do for home theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surma884 View Post

I love that bathroom of yours. It is AWESOME!!! Why are you getting rid of your house?

Hi surma884,
We love our bathroom as well. Unfortunately, the photographer could not fit my vanity into the picture. It is on the left hand side adjacent to the steamshower, just outside the frame of the photo.
As for selling, we have other plans we would like to move forward on. I had worked on our vineyard estate architectural plans for about a year and a half, and I am anxious to see how I can move forward on that. In order to do so, we should sell this home. We'll definitely miss it, but hopefully will see it in publication bound to admire throughout the rest of our years (wink, wink Rachel C.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_zilla View Post

Photo issues or not... you have a truly beautiful home.

Thank you Todd. I haven't forgot about your request for the list of things I would do differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luelf21 View Post

Beautiful house!! Must be nice to afford something so nice! Congratulations on your success! Photos look good to me and I can't believe people come on here and are criticizing them. Again, awsome home and car.

I saw those pics of your NSX also. Great cars. I'm a Honda and Acura guy also (much cheaper ones though, lol). I'm guessing that is the 2nd gen with the c32 engine?

I first built a civic running right at 400whp (turbo), then built a gsr integra with nitrous. Awsome cars!!! I drive an Infiniti g35 and a Lexus is250 now. Lexus is stock, the g35 has several mods.

Lastly, you have an awsome theater. My favorite thing about it is your Forethought of making the actual room sit 2' or so lower than the rest of the floor and you actually walk down into the room from the back. Just awsome

Hi luelf21,
Thank you for visiting the thread. Thank you for your kind words.
NSXs are great. I'm a total Honda/Acura guy as well. Both NSXs are the C30 engines.
I'd like to hear more about your civic and GSR sometime offline. I think the G35 is a beautiful car, and you can't go wrong with Lexus.
I really like that I designed the theater to be lower than the 2nd story as well. It really does feel different when walking into the theater.

I'll have additional professional photos uploaded soon from someone else.

post #374 of 398 Old 04-09-2010, 12:37 PM

Un-FRIGIN-real!

I am sure you worked hard for it...congrats!
post #375 of 398 Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBUNGIE View Post

Un-FRIGIN-real!

I am sure you worked hard for it...congrats!

Hi JBUNGIE,
Thanks for visiting and your message.

Here are some more pictures.

In this photo, the 2nd story part of the house where the three small windows is where the theater is located. Below that is part of the garage:

post #376 of 398 Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

From the front balcony:

From the foyer:

post #377 of 398 Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Based on the photo feedback for the previous photographs, I hope these pictures are more appealing for the members who didn't like the HDR stuff that Domus did.

post #378 of 398 Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Love your interiors and interior colors. My wife and I have very similar colors in our home. Beautiful.
post #379 of 398 Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, Not needed to post more pics. I think the consensus was the place that did it should maybe have chosen a different path but your awesome house still came across perfectly. Beautiful house

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #380 of 398 Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Love your interiors and interior colors. My wife and I have very similar colors in our home. Beautiful.

Indeed. So nice to see interiors that aren't all WHITE!
post #381 of 398 Old 04-10-2010, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

This is Amazing calbear!!

Invite me for movie night I live in Fremont haha

Im sending you a PM about your wine. Im a big fan of red wines!

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #382 of 398 Old 04-10-2010, 05:30 AM

My wife and I love the gold trim in your theater. Its hard to describe, but getting the right shade of gold is difficult. From the intricate molding designs I would guess the paint was sprayed? What was your paint of choice?

Great build!

Rgs,
Teeg
post #383 of 398 Old 04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 386
That is a very nice house!
post #384 of 398 Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thank you warrenP. I have seen some of your threads, particularly about the outdoor theater. Really great contributions that you have done for us members regarding outdoor theaters, as well as your Home Theater Revealed DVD series.
If you have similar colors, I would love to see photos of your home as well. Please feel free to PM with a link if you have some available.

Quote:

LOL, Not needed to post more pics. I think the consensus was the place that did it should maybe have chosen a different path but your awesome house still came across perfectly. Beautiful house

Hi adammb. Thank you for your words. Having perused some photography forums, I can start to see what a few of you have been talking about regarding the Domus pics. Thank you for opening my eyes and having me learn something new and interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Indeed. So nice to see interiors that aren't all WHITE!

I agree with your erkq. White is great to bring light into a room and illuminate it but at times it can feel a little too clinical. I think some of the earthtones bring about a warmth to a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

This is Amazing calbear!!

Invite me for movie night I live in Fremont haha

Im sending you a PM about your wine. Im a big fan of red wines!

Hi Chris,
I almost predicted that you were in Fremont with your 510 area code in your member name. My wife is in Fremont often.
I hope you received my PM response to you regarding the wine. I'll definitely send you (and anyone else interested) more details as we get closer to launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeg View Post

My wife and I love the gold trim in your theater. Its hard to describe, but getting the right shade of gold is difficult. From the intricate molding designs I would guess the paint was sprayed? What was your paint of choice?

Great build!

Rgs,
Teeg

Hi Teeg,
Thank you for your comment. I agree that the right shade of gold is quite difficult, and I had to purchase a whole bunch of different types of gold paint to come up with the right look. The paint was not sprayed, and actually hand painted with a brush. I think we put on like 5 to 6 coats of the gold, as it never stayed on evenly. The paint was purchased at Michaels, and the brand is Craft Smart "Metallic Gold" paint.
It cost $4 for 16oz, which is quite resonably priced, except for the fact it takes multiple coats, so you have to factor in the amount of paint at 3 to 4 times more, as well as the amount of labor time involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

That is a very nice house!

Thank you Stereodude.

post #385 of 398 Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Calbear yes I got your response. Keep me posted on updates about the wine and also if you have any events showing off your theater.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #386 of 398 Old 04-13-2010, 02:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Very nice house! If you don't mind me asking ,how many sqaure ft is it. The theather is nice too. I love the design choices, along with the colors and furniture as well.

Unfortunately we are stuck for real estate here, but my wife and I have managed to build a 4000 sqft house here.

Quote:

Looks like they just used a editing software for HDR. HDR is not the problem here ,it is the post processing. True HDR photos should not have halos like in these pics.

But , even with these pics you can see how beautiful the house is.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #387 of 398 Old 04-15-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Calbear yes I got your response. Keep me posted on updates about the wine and also if you have any events showing off your theater.

Hi Chris,
I will be happy to update you on the wine, as well as if and when I can arrange for another meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Very nice house! If you don't mind me asking ,how many sqaure ft is it. The theather is nice too. I love the design choices, along with the colors and furniture as well.

Unfortunately we are stuck for real estate here, but my wife and I have managed to build a 4000 sqft house here.

Looks like they just used a editing software for HDR. HDR is not the problem here ,it is the post processing. True HDR photos should not have halos like in these pics.

But , even with these pics you can see how beautiful the house is.

Hi JapanDave,
Thanks for visiting my build.
The house is 7000 sq ft (air-conditioned), with an additional 1600 sq feet of garage space. Thank you for your comment about the design, color, and furniture.
4000 sq ft in Japan is actually considered very large, from what I was told. Is it built as shōji and fusuma doors/walls?
I can see you also share in the passion of photography, or that of photographic editing.
I imagine that there are quite a bit of parallels between the passion of home theater and photography, such as the technical nature of the hobbies, the constant tweaking to perfect the image, and the desire to always want to upgrade your equipment.

Thanks.

post #388 of 398 Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
4000sf is considered very large here in the states too!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #389 of 398 Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Haha! True that Tony!
I didn't mean for my comment to belittle anyone. I apologize if it sounded like that.
Absolutely 4000 sq ft is a very big home anywhere in the world.

post #390 of 398 Old 04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
It just struck me as to how fortunate we are and how easy it is to overlook our blessings (as a people in general).

Your character is obvious! No apology necessary. We are all guilty.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page