16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 398 Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My wife came home with a popcorn maker cart as a surprise. She saw me looking at this thread and when she saw the picture of your popcorn cart she was astounded...it was the same one she just brought home. What a keeper she is! (for so many reasons!)

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 398 Old 12-10-2007, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Calbear,
That is a very intuitive wife you have. Nice gift that she brought home. Don't let her go. I just got my Jan Home Theater Mag subscription today and they reviewed an entire Cinepro Mighty System. It is a MUST read. Awesome! Remember input sensitivity of receivers and output sensitivity of amps don't nescessarily match up perfectly for the most optimal output. A much better match is going with a stand alone processor with separate amplification.
Ed
post #93 of 398 Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Is that Coyote Creek Golf Club?

I Golf
post #94 of 398 Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Dozi,
Thank you for your kind words.

Hello The Bogg,
You have a fantastic wife! What a coincidence that you were looking at a picture of it when she walked in with it!! It must have been fate for you to own this popper.

Hello Ed,
I think you are confusing The Bogg's post with me. He sure does have a keeper of a wife, although I can say the same pertains to me!
I'll have to look at the review of the Cinepro Mighty in that article. I am sure Cinepro will have this article in their website shortly.

Hello the crane,
I am not familiar with the Coyote Creek Golf Club. There is a Silver Creek Country Club in San Jose, but I do not reside there.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #95 of 398 Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM

Looks great man. Can't wait to see it done.
post #96 of 398 Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 AM

incredible. i am truly inspired.
post #97 of 398 Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
One of the best theaters ever on this forum. It must be close to completion.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #98 of 398 Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 AM

What company do you work for and can I have a job?
post #99 of 398 Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Calbear,

Did you buy middle atlantic racks? or is that another brand I can't tell from the garage photo? Have you planned out the locations and the mounting of equipment yet?
Looking forward to the new pics

Cheers
Calvin
post #100 of 398 Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you DDNGUY, jayteez, Art, and Scoot2300! Your words are very kind.

Hi calv1n,
They are not Middle Atlantic racks. I don't know the manufacturer, but they are industrial grade racks that are used for servers found in large corporations.
I have included some additional pictures of the racks, side by side. The front clear doors and the rear solid doors both open and close. The sides also can be taken off while keeping the structural integrity of the racks.

Here are the two racks with the doors closed:

Here are the front double doors open:

Here are the quad fans per rack:

Here are all eight cooling fans:

Here is one of the five Sony VAIO 200 DVD firewire changer (this is a stock photo, not one that I took):

The racks will be placed in my A/V room. It is between the game room (double doors) and the theatre (single door). I installed another circuit breaker box to ensure that no outlet is overloaded. I also have about 40,000 feet of cables running throughout the house that terminate to these racks for use of the Media Center to the Extenders, the amps for the whole house audio, internet and phone.

I will try to have some more photos of the theater. Unfortunately, it has not made much progress because of the holidays and other reasons. However, I am determined to have this completed quickly so I can try to get on that Top 10 list where calv1n mentioned my theater in the $20,000+ forum, and possibly even a feature in Electronic House ;-)

Thanks again for your interest.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #101 of 398 Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Gorgeous house you have there. Can't wait to see the finished version . Makes me want to reconstruct my living room haha.

Joe.T
post #102 of 398 Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 AM
EM3

WOW! It looks great got any more pics!

The sky is pink it's time to drink!
post #103 of 398 Old 01-27-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Time for a few quick shots for the voyeurs.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #104 of 398 Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Art,
Sorry, been out of the country previously, and just went out of town this week.
I'll be back in Feb, and hopefully I will have some new pictures.

Thanks for following the thread!

post #105 of 398 Old 01-27-2008, 05:01 PM

Is this thread about your HT room or is it to show off your house and cars? Maybe try getting back to the HT room being that this is an HT forum.
post #106 of 398 Old 01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Ignore Daves rude comment. We're all jealous, some people just don't know how to channel that jealousy.

Awesome project and I can't wait to see the end product.

I saw a comment about your equipment. I agree that you cannot reasonably expect an Onkyo receiver to handle the load of that room even with horn-loaded speakers. There are lots of good (and not very expensive) options. Marantz makes THX certified monoblocks that can be found for $125.00 each used (MA-500). Even three of these (for the LCR) would take a lot of load off the receiver. Rotel makes some decent three channel amps or, you could step up a little to a 3-channel Bryston. Bryston has a ridiculously long and transferrable warranty.

Now hurry up and post those pictures.
post #107 of 398 Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1969 View Post

Is this thread about your HT room or is it to show off your house and cars? Maybe try getting back to the HT room being that this is an HT forum.

Dude, lighten up. You ain't seen nuthin' until you've seen this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=780111
post #108 of 398 Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 PM

post #109 of 398 Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

obviously, its about both. now be on your way.
post #110 of 398 Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 AM

WOW! ALL I can say.

The detail in your Home is amazing. Your movie palace will be joy to see.

I am very interested to see it all done. I just spent like 20-30 mins reading page 1-4

I hope your wishes come true, and you get featured in EHouse

I party like rockstar,and Watch HDTV like its Priority
www.jubril.com
post #111 of 398 Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

Hi vili,
Hopefully we should be completed by February.
We do have a popcorn machine. As for a soda gun, I have two of these mobile refrigerator canisters where they can be moved to any convenient location. In addition, the bar is about 40 feet away, so guests also have their choice of alcohol in addition to soda and juices.
I have some additional photos of the house. Let me see if I can retrieve them and resize them to fit onto this thread. I should be able to do that shortly. You don't sound intrusive in the least.

Here is a pic of the popcorn maker:

Here is a pic of the two mobile refrigerator canisters. They are two level and resemble the bins you find in grocery stores nearby the checkout stands:

Are those Sub-Zero fridges?
post #112 of 398 Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 PM

Haven't clicked on this thread before. Holy Sh$t, that's sweet. I second the thought -- more pictures.
post #113 of 398 Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

Here is one of the five Sony VAIO 200 DVD firewire changer...

If you haven't bought them yet, don't.

I had four and all eventually developed issues with being unable to eject the disc in play or getting out of alignment and being unable to eject any discs at all. I had two repaired and finally just gave up on them. If you want spare parts, I have a couple sitting in my garage right now.

RAID is the way to go. Instant access and you can eliminate the menus and extras with DVD Shrink.
post #114 of 398 Old 02-03-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I believe someone requested the additional pics. So um... yeah. Don't blow a fuse.
post #115 of 398 Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry all that I have not been available to respond to your comments. Unfortunately I have been very preoccupied lately.

Quote:

Hey dave,
This thread is about my HT room. However, a few members asked for some additional pictures of my home, so I obliged. If you don't like what I have posted, I suggest that you choose not to view my thread.

post #116 of 398 Old 02-18-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post

Ignore Daves rude comment. We're all jealous, some people just don't know how to channel that jealousy.

Awesome project and I can't wait to see the end product.

I saw a comment about your equipment. I agree that you cannot reasonably expect an Onkyo receiver to handle the load of that room even with horn-loaded speakers. There are lots of good (and not very expensive) options. Marantz makes THX certified monoblocks that can be found for $125.00 each used (MA-500). Even three of these (for the LCR) would take a lot of load off the receiver. Rotel makes some decent three channel amps or, you could step up a little to a 3-channel Bryston. Bryston has a ridiculously long and transferrable warranty.

Now hurry up and post those pictures.

Thank you for your comment Patrick. I appreciate it.
I will look into the monoblocks you suggested. I have gone into audiogon and looked into some options. What do you think about getting something like the Parasound THX 5-channel amp? Will that essentially be what I will be getting from the Onkyo 905? I think that the power is actually rated lower than the 905s. I will also look at the Bryston.
As for pictures, I just took some, and will post shortly.

post #117 of 398 Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks gremmy, Netko 350Z, aham23, and chirpie for your words. I appreciate you watching my back.

post #118 of 398 Old 02-18-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubril58 View Post

WOW! ALL I can say.

The detail in your Home is amazing. Your movie palace will be joy to see.

I am very interested to see it all done. I just spent like 20-30 mins reading page 1-4

I hope your wishes come true, and you get featured in EHouse

Thanks jubril58. It is kind of you to comment. I too hope that the theater will be interesting enough to be featured.

post #119 of 398 Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi smakovits,
No, they are not Sub-Zero fridges. The left is the GE Monogram 36" freezer and the right is the GE Monogram 36" refrigerator.

post #120 of 398 Old 02-18-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott View Post

Haven't clicked on this thread before. Holy Sh$t, that's sweet. I second the thought -- more pictures.

Hi mscott,
Thank you for your comment. I will be attaching some additional pics shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlab View Post

If you haven't bought them yet, don't.

I had four and all eventually developed issues with being unable to eject the disc in play or getting out of alignment and being unable to eject any discs at all. I had two repaired and finally just gave up on them. If you want spare parts, I have a couple sitting in my garage right now.

RAID is the way to go. Instant access and you can eliminate the menus and extras with DVD Shrink.

Hi jimlab,
I may take you up on your spare parts, as I have 5 of them sitting in their boxes ready to be installed. I hope I won't have your problems, but I have a feeling the odds are that I will encounter the same issues.
I like the idea of having 1000 of my DVD's in the changers so that I can dedicate the RAID to just hi-def material.
I do have the RAID, and it is about 2 Terabytes in size. I have considered upgrading all the harddrives to 1 Terabytes each so that I have 8 Terabytes. However, in order to do that, I need to ensure that the HTPC will be capable of running Blu-Ray and HD DVD, which means upgrading the processor to a Quad-Core, adding a new video card, and adding more memory.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page