16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 398 Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hey Calbear.

Haven't checked this thread in a while. I may have missed it, but are you using an anamorphic lens or zooming for scope material. I have a DPI TitanHD250. It is bright but only 1280 x 720. Since we both have the same size screen (I also have a 16 foot wide scope), I am fighting the urge to offload my $23,000 3 chip DPI for next to nothing, keep my ISCO III and pick up an RS1 for the extra resolution. Take care and I love the theater. (If you go back through the thread, I posted on page one or two).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 398 Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

Hey Calbear.

Haven't checked this thread in a while. I may have missed it, but are you using an anamorphic lens or zooming for scope material. I have a DPI TitanHD250. It is bright but only 1280 x 720. Since we both have the same size screen (I also have a 16 foot wide scope), I am fighting the urge to offload my $23,000 3 chip DPI for next to nothing, keep my ISCO III and pick up an RS1 for the extra resolution. Take care and I love the theater. (If you go back through the thread, I posted on page one or two).

As a proud RS1 owner, even I have to say a 16' screen would be a mighty challenge for an RS1 unless it's a High Power or something similar. Don't expect the RS1 to keep up with the Titan for lighting up a screen!
post #183 of 398 Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi TSHA222,
I definitely remember you. Thanks for checking back and your comment about my theater. Coming from you and seeing what you've done with your theater, it is a strong compliment.
I am zooming with the RS1. No Anamorphic lens.

Hi erkq,
I will have to agree with you that I would not let go of the Titan for the RS1, unless you plan to stack a pair of them. Even then, it may still not be up to the level of the Titan.

The carpet has been inevitably delayed, so the plan is for it to be installed in the first week of June. I will definitely have updated pics by then.

Thanks,
J.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #184 of 398 Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Hey Calbear.

An RS1 on a 16' wide screen isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #185 of 398 Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Art

I would think the same but this shot looks pretty good. What gain is the DIY screen?

post #186 of 398 Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Art and RobZ,
Unfortunately, I do not know what is the gain of the screen. I asked early on in the thread if anyone locally has the equipment to test it, and I am happy to provide an open invitation to anyone who has the equipment or inclination to visit. I may even pose a enthusiast get-together here at my home towards the end of June if there is enough interest. I suppose I should post it in the regional section of AVS Forum.

Take care.

My theater construction thread labeled "16' wide screen theater w/ 20+ seats and starfield ceiling and stadium configuration": http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942954
post #187 of 398 Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I would think the same but this shot looks pretty good. What gain is the DIY screen?

From the very start, after having posted a Thread on my intentions toward the making of this screen. The Really Big picture Show http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=854134

..........it was oft stated that it would be impossible for the RS-1 to deliver a decent image at such a size, even if a 225" "High Power" was available. But'cha know, there wasn't many options to choose from, and since most everyone was certain Calbear was SOL, there wasn't much to lose in trying.

My original intention was to use what was called "Silver Fire HG*" *High Gain
Silver Fire was/is originally intended for use in ambient light situations, and the HG derivative was developed for low lumen output PJs that still had ambient "issues' to deal with. As compared directly "side to side" to a High Power Screen sample, the SF-HG DIY mix's gain was estimated at a minimum of 1.6.

That seemed like it would be enough, because what with the RS-1's "honest Injun" 700 lumens, it's actually a pretty bright PJ, so the risk of complete failure was low enough to allow Calbear and myself to give it a shot. Besides, if a SF-HG screen could also work to enhance the perceived "on screen" Contrast beyond 15k, we'd accomplish having the "Best of Both Worlds".

But sometimes things are not what you want them to be. Upon squirting a 2' x 4' test panel of SF-HG and using a 2' x 4' reference "White" panel, what was noticed was that the lumen levels available would in fact deliver a very bright image with the SF-HG. However, the appearance of the "Whites" on the SF-HG panel was not to Calbear's liking when compared to the pure "White" screen sample. Side to side, the SF-HG's whites looked light Gray.

This came as no shock to me, nor should it to anyone familiar with how any shade of Gray affects pristine white performance. The RS-1 does not have enough uber-lumens to compensate for the White Level attenuation, and basically, neither of us really wanted to tweak the RS-1's gamma/CR settings to the point it "might" compensate.

As one might postulate, reducing the size of the screen wasn't an option either, nor was moving the PJ significantly closer. But I was there (... lusting over his cars and drinking beer...) and a Screen needed 'making'. My past experience with CMRA's "S-I-L-V-E-R" solution told me where to look for more gain and brighter whites. But Gol-Durn it....S-I-L-V-E-R can be a tricky squirt on a "normal size" surface. (...ya know...120" to 144" ) ...let alone a 16' Wide - 9' High Billboard size screen. (Just try doing the sideways "Mississippi Shuffle" across two interconnected 2' x 12's, while keeping your distance and height level constant.) To err would mean to "stripe" and with a translucent DIY Mix like S-I-L-V-E-R, there is little if no leeway for error.

Calbear looked at me with an earnest AND expectant gaze that told me he was depending on S-I-L-V-E-R to come through.

The first order of business was to accomplish getting a 16' x 9' surface that had NO blemishes. Building a perfectly flat surface was easily enough done using Aluminum Framing and Drywall. But all Kudos belong to the erstwhile and accomplished "Jack of all Trades" Juan Carlos for his "Mop On De Mud" technique (...the entire screen was prone on the floor!) and his "Mouse Sanding" efforts.

So smooooooth!

With about 6 people helping, the screen was lifted and got hung into place and the squirting commenced. It must be stated again, that I do NOT think the project would have been possible without the use of the "electric" Wagner Control Spray HVLP Gun. It's rate of Paint delivery, the ultra fine spray pattern it produces with a thinned material, all combined with the required technique to create a exceptionally smooth painted surface.

So how much gain does S-I-L-V-E-R produce? To my approximation at least 2.0 or all the commentary about how impossible the task at hand "is" would be obviously borne out by photographic imagery that would not look like the example above. It is most likely 2.2 .....maybe more, but too much speculation without hard data doesn't bode well under Forum Peer review.

But absolutely, it would be great if anyone attending Calbear's "Premier Presentation" that has the equipment to make such a measurement could bring it along and settle that little bit of speculation.

What really matteres most of all is that the end result would not be any lessor degree of quality than all the rest of Calbear's efforts. After all, "The Big Picture" is the center of attention.

So Calbear got his "Blazin' Whites, and S-I-L-V-E-R's Silver Metallic/Glaze content provided both gain, and some additional enhancement of Color "PoP" and CR. All of which easily and effectively compensated for both the size of the Screen itself as well as the distance the PJ had to be mounted from the screen (27' I think?)

To be involved in any way with Calbear's project is/has been a distinct pleasure. Meeting the Wife and extended Family, and cookin' BBQ for 'em was a delectable treat.

For dessert, I really want to be there when he cuts the "Ribbon".

PS Calbear......,
Be sure to check in before you start to trim off those Fiber Optic lines.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #188 of 398 Old 05-22-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, you can certainly see the screen has way more gain than Calbear's shirt. You could figure out the gain by getting a sample of a known material, measuring with a patch of the material and computing the ratios. I suspect this information would be more useful to members of this thread than to Calbear, though.
post #189 of 398 Old 05-22-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

But you are using an RS-1 on a 16' wide screen, right? True that the Titan is brighter than an RS-1 would be... I am tempted to see if I can get a projector in to evaluate just to satiate myself. I have a gain of 1.5 and I have an ISCO III. Man, will the upgrade bug ever stop biting? I think not.
post #190 of 398 Old 05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have a gain of 1.5 and I have an ISCO III

What with that gain level, and the brightness boost you'll get with a 16:9 image being "morphed" down in height, you'll be able to do things you couldn't otherwise. Retaing every pixel of brightness is more of an advantage than many realize.

But the screen is a very vital link, and an ideally suited screen still cannot compensate or "add to", just attempt to "enhance" without creating more issues.

Call me biased, but the shown results, given the size and PJ involved, pretty much decides things in a fell swoop of the Wagner.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #191 of 398 Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But you are using an RS-1 on a 16' wide screen, right? True that the Titan is brighter than an RS-1 would be... I am tempted to see if I can get a projector in to evaluate just to satiate myself. I have a gain of 1.5 and I have an ISCO III. Man, will the upgrade bug ever stop biting? I think not.

With "only" 1.5 gain, even with an ISCO III I think a 16' screen is beyond the capability of an RS1. Here are some calcs comparing my 16:9 1.1 gain 10' screen to your scenario. Since you are using an ISCO III I'm giving you the full power of the RS1 on your 2.35 screen vs. the mine being 16:9 w/o the lens:

Screen 16' 2.35 10' 16:9
Sq Ft 109 56
Lumen 700 700 For comparison can be anything, just a constant
Ftl 6.5 12.5
Gain 1.5 1.1
Real Ftl 9.6 13.7

So your scenario is 30% dimmer than mine and I feel mine is barely bright enough to make you say "wow" in outdoor scenes. I wouldn't want it any dimmer!

EDIT: darn, takes out white space, the columns don't line up. You should be able to see what I've done anyway.
post #192 of 398 Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

There's really only one way to tell if it would work for me or not. I am going to find a dealer to let me try one out. I'll keep ya posted.
post #193 of 398 Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the calculations erkq. Going from the Titan, I know I'll see a huge hit in the brightness department. I guess my issue is I really need a more expensive 1080 unit but the only problem is... I'm broke! Oh, the drama.
post #194 of 398 Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi MississippiMan! It is good to see you back on AVSForum.
You are the man to respond to the inquiries regarding the screen.

Hi erkq and TSHA222,
I am open to finding out what the gain is, although I don't have enough time to go out and get the various gain samples. If we ever do a meet, hopefully someone local may have these to test.
Thanks for doing the calculations erkq. It is interesting to see it.

I am definitely using the RS1 on the 16' screen.

We are almost done. I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
I have taken pictures, and will post shortly.

post #195 of 398 Old 05-28-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

We had to repaint the ceiling black from the red faux overspray of the soffits.

post #196 of 398 Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Make sure to pull the ends of the fiber optics prior to melting, per MississippiMan's advice. Otherwise, you may still have black paint on the sides of the fiber optic.

The melting tool and the floor covered with melted fiber optic ends:

Close-up of the forked tool I created to ease the melting of the fiber optic while dangling off of a very tall ladder:

post #197 of 398 Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Installed the brushed nickel light trims and started painting the crown moldings metallic gold.

This gold does not apply well. It will probably require about 3 to 5 coats (as I had done with the faux red). It's a good thing I kind of enjoy painting.

Rear right corner:

post #198 of 398 Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Starfield lit.
This was taken with a short exposure setting:

Longer exposure image:

post #199 of 398 Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post

Installed the brushed nickel light trims and started painting the crown moldings metallic gold.

Looks like you're closing in on the home stretch? Looks awesome, congratulations!
post #200 of 398 Old 06-04-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks scientest.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Carpet is here and being installed today!

post #201 of 398 Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

More pics. Still painting the gold trim detail around the columns.

Close-up of the carpet:

Carpet pad installed on stage:

post #202 of 398 Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! That is becoming a really awesome theater!

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #203 of 398 Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Calbear, don't know how I didn't see your thread until now.

Looking great! Supportively envious. Is that a term?

Best of enjoyment in your home and theater!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #204 of 398 Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

.......and a update as well. How's about it, Calbear?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #205 of 398 Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Art

That would be one dim picture..

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #206 of 398 Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

But it ain't.

C'mon Don....,

Do the representative images shown in the link below..and back earlier within this thread 'reflect' that?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=854134

Not in any way, nor does the espoused opinion of Calbear.

As stated previously in "The Really Big Picture Show" thread, just because conventional wisdom states that something cannot be done, that does not mean someone cannot go out and accomplish it anyway. The proof is in the puddin', and the Puddin' has been cooked and set-up for sometime. Add to that the fact that nowhere else has been seen anything remotely close to Calbear's performance with his PJ/Screen combo and it becomes all the more obvious that Calbear's HT is exceptional in virtually every aspect.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #207 of 398 Old 07-18-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

But it ain't.

C'mon Don....,

Do the representative images shown in the link below..and back earlier within this thread 'reflect' that?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=854134

Not in any way, nor does the espoused opinion of Calbear.

As stated previously in "The Really Big Picture Show" thread, just because conventional wisdom states that something cannot be done, that does not mean someone cannot go out and accomplish it anyway. The proof is in the puddin', and the Puddin' has been cooked and set-up for sometime. Add to that the fact that nowhere else has been seen anything remotely close to Calbear's performance with his PJ/Screen combo and it becomes all the more obvious that Calbear's HT is exceptional in virtually every aspect.

It may be fine in person but camera shots aren't worth nuthin'. If it's too dim, expose the picture longer and the picture gets brighter. Pretty darn easy to do.

Just sayin'.
post #208 of 398 Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry I was thinking along the lines of SMX or other AT screens. High power screen look good with the RS1. How many foot lamberts are you getting?

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #209 of 398 Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Could you post the manufacturer and pattern (or a link) of the carpet you used? Thanks!!!

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #210 of 398 Old 07-19-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg View Post

That would be one dim picture..

I agree. Nominal gain screen brand new lamp 6 fL. Normal use two months later 4fL.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page