Can I get away with not using an exhaust fan? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i've got a closet in my dedicated theater that i'm going to be housing my equipment in. i was wondering if i could get away with not installing an exhaust fan. the space works to be about 62 cu. ft., and i'll be filling it with a yamaha receiver, behringer EP2500 pro amp, BFD, and a HTPC. the HTPC has ample heatsinks, but am sure it will put out more heat than the rest of the components. what's your thoughts?

eric

"Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, even if they don't."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 PM

My opinion would be that just to stave off any heat related problems you should put in an exhaust fan. I have a 156 sq ft spare bedroom that is my computer room and my computer warms the room quite nicely.

Just my .02.

dazed

Living up to my user name.

"Put a nuke down a bug hole and you got a lot of dead bugs...." Starship Troopers
post #3 of 10 Old 11-25-2007, 08:19 PM

If you wanted you could just run the duct work for the fan then if you decide you need it you can put the fan in later . You could do an in-line fan and place it farther away from the closet where you can get it to power. ive got a pretty big bedroom with just a computer in it and in the winter its perfect temp but in the summer my room gets hot and i have to keep ceiling fan on just to move the air out.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Do yourself a favor and go with the fan. I have three extremely quiet, One over the projector, one in the equipment room and one over the popcorn machine.
a lot of heat builds up. and too much heat can damage your components.
as for my projector, a few times I have forgotten to turn on the fan and at least three times the projector shut down from heat. Never have that problem with the fan on.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I did not put one in my eq closet. I just keep the door open when in use. However, I use an outlaw 990/7125 and it does not get very hot. Really none of my equipment does. Sure I guess if I close the door it might get a bit warm.

Understanding the unexplainable"
post #6 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I have an exhaust fan, but unless I have guests I leave the door open and the fan doesn't come on....At least I don't think it does, it's silent.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
post #7 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

love your rack and door bigmouth. does your fan come on at a certain temp? is it a function of the fan or did you have a seperate switch for that? i like the idea of it coming on as needed. i'm trying to automate my theater without going all out, so i was wondering how to turn it on without a switch.

"Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, even if they don't."
post #8 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM

whisky alpha where did you get that rack and what are the dememsions im looking for tje exact same thing for my closet as for the fan goes i would recomend getting one is better safe then sorry i bought a bathroom fan from homd depot for like 60 dollars it circles the air in room thats 80 square feet in a minute
post #9 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 05:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeash View Post

love your rack and door bigmouth. does your fan come on at a certain temp? is it a function of the fan or did you have a seperate switch for that? i like the idea of it coming on as needed. i'm trying to automate my theater without going all out, so i was wondering how to turn it on without a switch.

Thanks, It's an in-line Fantech bathroom fan connected to a Line Voltage Attic Fan Thermostat ($20) that is mounted on the ceiling and set at 85 degrees.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #10 of 10 Old 11-27-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunopoli View Post

whisky alpha where did you get that rack and what are the dememsions im looking for tje exact same thing for my closet

That is a Sanus Systems CF55 rack. It is no longer in production, however there is a guy in NJ that has a couple for sale. Not sure of the dimensions but it is the best rack IMO. Each shelf sits on adjustable spikes and the main rack (solid steel) sits on spikes and is fillable with sand. I have had it for many many years and it has made it through many moves and I have not once has to tighten it up. IM me if you want the NJ info. I searched for one as I was looking at getting another one.

Understanding the unexplainable"
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page