Any and all comments welcome - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm designing a dedicated HT and would appreciate any comments on my design, component selection, or system architecture.

I envision the room being used for theater and two-channel audio. Our music tastes run from Jazz, to Classical, to New Age, to Baroque pipe-organ music. We're NOT currently into gaming, but interests change over time....

The room is approximately 12'x14'x8', with a single access door, and no windows. I'll probably paint the walls and ceiling a medium brown to match the existing carpeting (still being negotiated with my wife)

The attached sketch shows the rough layout. Obviously the access door will need to be closed when the room is in use. Single row of seating, out from the rear wall to allow access to the 'equipment niche'. The door location is NOT ideal, but I need to compromise. I prefer to maximize the screen size and place the LCR speakers behind an AT screen.

Since the room exists, I prefer to limit the construction activities to installing in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, wiring, painting, hanging the projector, and perhaps building an AT screen.

The amplifier and any 'back room' electronics will be racked in an adjoining room.

At the moment, I don't have a budget cap. This exercise will be input in the budget negotiations.

FWIW: I'm an electrical engineer. Construction is ONLY a hobby, and I built this room and others to fill our 1200 sq. ft. basement.

Display Subsystem:
  • Mitsubishi HC6000 projector on a ceiling mount
  • Acoustically Transparent 106" wide 16x9 screen, DIY?, SMX?

Audio Subsystem:
  • Left/Right: Polk LC265i (Question: Would the LC65i be sufficient?)
  • Center: Polk LCi-C
  • Left/Right Surround: Polk LC65fx
  • Left/Right Rear Surround: Polk LC60i - (in ceiling, aimed at the rear wall)
  • Sub: SVS PB13-U
  • Preamp/Processor: OnkyoPro PR-SC885P
  • Amplifier: Emotiva MPS-2
Sources:
  • Sony PS3
  • OTA ATSC Tuner
Furniture:
  • Four Berkline 088 recliners in a straight/curved layout.
Other:
  • TVSS and Power Conditioning
  • Remote Control integration (IR/Wired)
Futures:
  • Integration with audio/video/computer systems throughout the house
  • Buttkickers
  • HTPC
  • Cable or Satellite source
  • Media streamer (perhaps the HTPC)
  • DVR (perhaps the HTPC)

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

Please excuse any redundancy as I plan to post this in multiple forums.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2007, 06:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 570
If that was my space:

I would see if there was any way possible to move the door a little further back, have it open outward instead of inward. Center up the screen on the wall, center the seating and move it a foot forward. If you can't move the door, have it open out and center up the screen. If that is a Prehung door it will take about an hour to remove and reinstall opening out. You remove the case molding, cut all the nails with a reciprocal saw. Remove door, turn around and reinstall. Re-install molding patch and paint.

Then I would plan some acoustical treatments for the room.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 AM

Liked: 12
All of the above and I would make a THX baffle wall for the AT screen.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Agreed with trying to move the door back a bit and centering up the room. I also have a door in pretty much the same location, although it isn't the entrance and it's a bit further back to minimize interference with the screen area.

With the right treatments such as some absorption panels that including covering the door itself, having the entrance there probably isn't a big deal.

Also, while I understand backing the seats right up to maximize screen size, have you considered moving the row forward a little? I know it's often recommended not to have primary seating shoved right back for acoustics. It would allow you a comfortable space to walk behind and access your equipment (I'm presuming the niche is racked into the rear wall), plus you could move the left and right surrounds a bit forward, and then do the rear channels high on the back wall where they belong. Is there any particular reason you settled on in-ceiling for those?

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

All of the above and I would make a THX baffle wall for the AT screen

Thanks, something I never knew about...

Quote:

I would see if there was any way possible to move the door a little further back, have it open outward instead of inward

Something I thought about. I can't change the location of the door. I can perhaps flip it around. Not ideal... and my wife would probably object on the grounds that I should have built it that way in the first place....

Even if I leave the door as is, I can try to better center the screen/seating in the room. The narrow room, and the desire for four seating positions is a bit constraining. Is the centering mainly for aesthetics or performance?

I've thought about acoustical wall treatments, but don't exactly know where to start.... plus there's the WAF issue. I need to do some research in this area.

Quote:

Also, while I understand backing the seats right up to maximize screen size, have you considered moving the row forward a little? I know it's often recommended not to have primary seating shoved right back for acoustics. It would allow you a comfortable space to walk behind and access your equipment (I'm presuming the niche is racked into the rear wall), plus you could move the left and right surrounds a bit forward, and then do the rear channels high on the back wall where they belong. Is there any particular reason you settled on in-ceiling for those?

I could move the seating forward some. I'm concerned about viewing distance.....

I selected in-ceiling rear surrounds because I'm so near the rear wall. I know it's a compromise, but I'm hoping to aim the in-ceilings toward the rear wall and create a diffuse rear sound field..... Or simply stay with a 5.1 system and forget the rear surrounds.....

Thanks for the good comments.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks OK to me. It will be tricky to sound treat somewhat, Audessey can probably work some wonders with it for sure. I think you could move the seating forward a fair amount and be OK still. I put a row of four nice backed padded swivelbar stools along my back wall for more seating. Seems to work out well and not take to much room at all. You could put 5 back there. I run 7.1 even though all my speakers are on the back wall. I towed the rears up quite a bit and the sides down quite a bit. Seems OK but not optimal by any means.

I wonder if you could talk her into a pocket door? That would be col and is all the rage these days.

My front row is only like 8' from the screen or so. 106" screen.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page