drywall for ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my basement like other basements, there are conduits/pipes under the joist. So how do you screw the drywall for the ceilling if there are pipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 05:51 AM

Attach strapping perpendicular to the joists. Usually 2"x4"'s laid flat provide enough clearance for most pipes/conduit, plus you'll end up with a wider surface to screw your drywall. Make sure to space them properly, preferably 16" on center.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipSmith View Post

Attach strapping perpendicular to the joists. Usually 2"x4"'s laid flat provide enough clearance for most pipes/conduit, plus you'll end up with a wider surface to screw your drywall. Make sure to space them properly, preferably 16" on center.

Thanks for mentioning strapping. It helped a lot when I went to images.google.com. This is one of the results -> http://www.glenhunter.ca/gallery/200...strapping1.jpg

Now I understand it
Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Strapping is kind of a misnomer - strapping is really a structural method of tying joists together. "Furring" or furring strips would probably be the more common name for what you're talking about.

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:22 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Depending on the location of the items hanging down maybe a decorative multi level ceiling can be constructed, like a soffit around the perimeter only not as tall.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post

Strapping is kind of a misnomer - strapping is really a structural method of tying joists together. "Furring" or furring strips would probably be the more common name for what you're talking about.
SC

Strapping is the common term used for attaching boards perpendicular to ceiling joists in preparation for drywall. http://www.homeadditionplus.com/Stra...20Ceilings.htm

The term "Furring" is usually in reference to walls.
http://www.builderspace.com/dictiona...y.html#furring

"Furring strips" can be used in either instance, but 1X stock is not always enough to provide clearance for pipes mounted below the joists.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I killed two birds with one stone--sound isolation and some space for pipes. I used the RSIC-2 clips which give you 2" of clearance. It was perfect for me.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipSmith View Post

Strapping is the common term used for attaching boards perpendicular to ceiling joists in preparation for drywall. http://www.homeadditionplus.com/Stra...20Ceilings.htm

The term "Furring" is usually in reference to walls.
http://www.builderspace.com/dictiona...y.html#furring

"Furring strips" can be used in either instance, but 1X stock is not always enough to provide clearance for pipes mounted below the joists.

I visited the basement and I am upset. I found out that the fire sprinkler pipe exceeds 2". It was like 2.25".

What are some work arounds?

Thanks folks!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Strapping + RSIC-2s
Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To do it right, you may need to re-route and/or relocate some pipes. I had to move a large drain pipe and a gas line that ran down the center of my theater ceiling.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:11 PM

give us a picture so we know what you are facing......as there are a variety of solutions available to this problem.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigsby View Post

give us a picture so we know what you are facing......as there are a variety of solutions available to this problem.

Sorry, took me so long. I wasn't feeling well last night. Anyways, here is the picture. Maybe, I can make something that is similar to a stage but instead, it would be on the ceiling. It's also going to be in arch shape. I'll take some measurements from wall.

Anyways, the fire sprinkler pipe is 2.25" thick. From what I remember, 2x4s are actually 1.5"x3.5".

Thanks.

EDIT: We received a letter from the village telling us that fire sprinklers aren't mandatory anymore. That means, I can remove that sensor piece you see on the picture. I don't have to worry then.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post

I visited the basement and I am upset. I found out that the fire sprinkler pipe exceeds 2". It was like 2.25".

What are some work arounds?

You could use a layer of 2x4's (1.5" thick) then a layer of 1x4s (0.75" thick) to get 2.25". In my basement bathroom I had to use 2 layers of 2x4 strapping in order to clear some pipes. Unless your ceiling height is already very low you won't miss a couple of inches.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM

If the sprinkler is no longer mandatory and you don't have a compelling reason to maintain it....I would cut it and cap it at the first 90* elbow that dips below your joists....then it looks like you got one more copper line running on the bottom side of your joists....you could cut it at both ends and drill holes through your joists and run it through the joists (just make sure to put it high enough in the joists so that your drywall screws don't penetrate it). Then it looks like you have some electrical conduit that can be re-routed through the joists.

A lot of drilling to be sure, but at least you would not be loosing any height to your room for utilities.

In short your builder saved some labor by running everything on the bottom side of the joists, but there is absolutely no reason you can't take some time to re-route those items.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:26 PM

go back to the RSIC clips, and instead of using a 7/8" hat channel, use an 1-1/2" hat channel...this should give you plenty of room, yet keep things very simple....also, I read in an earlier post that you should use 16 o.c. framing...for sound reasons go to 24 o.c. framing...make sure you use 5/8" drywall to prevent sagging.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkney View Post

go back to the RSIC clips, and instead of using a 7/8" hat channel, use an 1-1/2" hat channel...this should give you plenty of room, yet keep things very simple....also, I read in an earlier post that you should use 16 o.c. framing...for sound reasons go to 24 o.c. framing...make sure you use 5/8" drywall to prevent sagging.

I'll try if I can stretch my budget for hat channels. How much does one strip cost? And do you think 1-1/2" hat channel is big enough? If I reroute the fire sprinkler pipe, I think it's good enough. By the way, do you have a pic of a hat channel?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM

the hat channel is what fits inside your clip...it might be know as a drywall furring channel or top hat...but for RSIC clips to work you need to incorporate these channels for a surface to mount the drywall to. usually the clips are represented using 7/8", there are really only two depths available 7/8 & 1-1/2...they are both 12' long and can be either 20 or 25 ga. http://www.kineticsnoise.com/arch/isomax/index.aspx this is a link to isomax clips...not the RSIC but still the same channel that goes into both of these clips...the picture here represents a 7/8" channel....I would recommend using isomax over RSIC, but your situation is different..you need the extra space.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 PM

here's a picture of the RSIC clip with a hat channel in it...just install a channel with an 1-1/2" depth instead of a 7/8....any drywall supplier near you will stock this...should cost around $0.50/lin ft.

oops forgot the link:

http://pac-intl.com/products.html

One last thing..I think you mentioned you needed 2-1/2"...this will give you 2-5/8".
Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool! I will think about it. Thank you so much!