Worked all day on Sunday putting up the stone veneer. I worked from about 10:15 until nearly 6:30 pm on it. In the process, I burned up two B&D Hammer drills mixing the mortar!
The stone was really easy to hang. The difficult part was making sure that the mortar and scratch coat were somewhat wet, but not too wet. You want to wet both the back of the stone and the substrate to ensure that they don't wick away too much moisture from the mortar. This causes a weakened joint. If the stone and substrate are too wet, then the mortar doesn't stick so well. Also, it's difficult to keep the mortar at the right level of moisture.
Also, the up and down for laying the pieces out, then getting up and waking outside to the cutter then back down to measure the next piece was a quite a chore. I was really sore when this was done!
The stone was surprisingly brittle. I could break one in half just pushing it on the wall. A few pieces fell when I was laying them out and broke into a few pieces, rendering them unusable. In the end, I had a bunch of corners left over and three full stones (only about 28" worth)! I had to order 10 LF of corners, and I only used about 4 feet.
Here are some photos:
The corners turned out really, really well, if I do say so myself. I can still see the pattern in the stones, but I think it's because I'm so used to seeing the parts. Folks that see it for the first time have been blown away and have been very complementary.
I cut the pieces for the top 1" or so and I still need to hang them, but I'll do that when the underside of the bar is in.
I'm not yet ready to apprentice with a stone mason, but I have a healthy respect for their skill and strength!