post #631 of 1632 Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

The stage has been filled with sand. Purchased another 30 bags of sand on Tuesday and got them installed. I lined the cavities with plastic and filled them with sand. I only filled the front four cavities of the steps with sand. I ran out and figured that I'll fill the other four with insulation and be done with it.

All told, there are 55 bags of sand in the stage (about 2750 lbs total).

Chief stage inspector here - and I regret to inform you that your stage is placed incorrectly. It needs to be shifted 1 inch to the left. Please remove all the sand, move the stage, and repack it.

Looking good! That stage is going to be killer when you are finished.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1632 Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey, I gots a sertificatie that says i is done with inspectuns!

Thanks for the comments.

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #633 of 1632 Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Did you ever find out what happened to CheapMonkey? Does he still have the lift?

CJ

I'm pretty sure Chris is done with the drywall. He returned my drywall screwgun a few weeks ago.

post #634 of 1632 Old 06-06-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I finished the stage. I needed to add the OSB to the first step.

This required a bit of thought on how to proceed. I had a piece of OSB that was 22" wide and 8' long as a scrap from the bar build. I used it to make a template for the curved step. This proved a great idea.

I made the template in two pieces, a long section on the left side, and a short section on the right. I started trying to get a cut on the back of the step that joins the riser for the next step. I cut the template out using a jigsaw, and fine tuned it until it fit just right. I then took a compass, set it to the depth of the lip that I wanted the step to have, and scribed a line underneath the step. I cut this out with the jigsaw and tested the fit. It worked, so I proceeded to do the other side. I then used these as jigs for the second layer.

Once those were cut out and fine tuned, I routed the underside edge with a round over bit. I then installed the first step with liberal amounts of liquid nails and a lot of screws. Then a layer of tar paper, and the second layer of OSB, again with lots of liquid nails and screws.

I then routed the top edge of the step and cleaned up. The stage and steps are rock solid!

Next up...designing the front screen wall and the riser. Should be fun since I don't have any idea what chairs I'll use...

CJ

post #635 of 1632 Old 06-06-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Today I finished the stage....

That is a great job! I'm saving that one...'cause I don need no stinkin spectors needur

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #636 of 1632 Old 06-06-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 74
CJ,

Super job on the stage! I've enjoyed watching this come together (although if I were Union >> I would ask you to slow down - cause you're making the rest of us look bad).

Keep up the good work - looking forward to the screen wall

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #637 of 1632 Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey thanks guys for the kind words. I'm not going to slow down too much at this point...at least until the screen wall and riser are built!

CJ

post #638 of 1632 Old 06-06-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've seen quite a few folks draw up their plans for the entire theater from the start, then build to it, making minor adjustments along the way. I'm sure this works very well, but it seems BORING! I'm the type of person who needs to experience the space before I build. I'm not able to get a good feel for the space from a piece of paper. I'm making modifications as I go along. Not the optimal method, but that's what I'm doing.

Tonight, I decided to start working on the plan for the screen wall and the room. I started by touching up the room plan that I've been using:

This includes the new stage. The dotted line in the center represents the edges of the soffits. They are 9 1/4" tall. Headroom under the soffits is 7'9", while the area in the middle and the area in the very back of the theater is 8'6" tall. The soffit over the stage slopes back a bit (I had to do it do accommodate a beam and try to maintain symmetry). At the edge of the soffit, headroom is 7'9". Against the screen wall, the headroom is 6'7" to the top of the stage and 7'4" to the floor.

The screen wall will be 26" away from the back wall. That should allow me about 24" of usable space behind the screen.

I used Michael's string trick to try and mock up some screen sizes. I'm going with a scope screen in a 2.38 to 1 aspect ratio. My current choices are 142" diagonal (131" x 55") and 130" diagonal (120" x 50"). Here are plans and mock ups of both:

130" Diagonal:

Red lines show the 16 x 9 aspect ratio (if I delay getting a lens)

141" Diagonal:

The 141" screen will leave only about 10" between the edge of the white portion of the screen and the side wall. The 130" will leave 15". We're currently leaning towards the 130" screen.

Here's our super deluxe testing seats:

They are a little low, but they worked in a pinch.

The theater will be 20' 6" of usable space from the screen wall to the back wall. The first row seating location will be between 11' 6" and 13', with the second row behind them. The first row will have 3 seats while the second may have 4 depending on the seats we choose. The projector will be mounted right behind the soffit over the space between the first and second rows. The throw distance is about 16'.

I'm going to go measure some theater seating tomorrow to help me understand how high the riser should be. I'm currently thinking that 9" should be just about right, but some measurements will confirm that.

CJ

post #639 of 1632 Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have to know where you got those HT seats, CJ, and how much you paid! They are exactly what I've been looking for!!

P.S. Slow down, will ya? You're making me tired just reading your thread lately!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #640 of 1632 Old 06-06-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I have to know where you got those HT seats, CJ, and how much you paid! They are exactly what I've been looking for!!

P.S. Slow down, will ya? You're making me tired just reading your thread lately!

OK. I'm going to take the rest of the night off.

CJ

post #641 of 1632 Old 06-07-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

CJ,

Looking good!

Everything in your layout looks like a good plan. After you measure seats; I'll be curious if you will find 9" tall enough for your riser. I was going to do a riser until I used the calculator and found out I would probably run out of headroom (I'm also at 7'9" with my ceiling, but for other reasons my 16:9 screen is too low). Hmm..maybe an excuse to go 2:35.

A question about your back row: In your last photo - what is that cutout in the wall in the lower left side of the photo

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #642 of 1632 Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Everything in your layout looks like a good plan. After you measure seats; I'll be curious if you will find 9" tall enough for your riser. I was going to do a riser until I used the calculator and found out I would probably run out of headroom (I'm also at 7'9" with my ceiling, but for other reasons my 16:9 screen is too low). Hmm..maybe an excuse to go 2:35.

A question about your back row: In your last photo - what is that cutout in the wall in the lower left side of the photo

Craig:

The 2.35 screen will certainly help with the riser height. A 16x9 screen will be taller and will need to be mounted lower, thus requiring a higher riser. I need to see some different seats to see how all of this will fall together.

The cutout areas on the left side are for the electrical panel and the fresh water supply/drain clean out.

I'm going to cover these with a hinged panel when I do the wall treatments.

post #643 of 1632 Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand - and agree completely. I placed my center channel above my screen which then pushed my 16:9 even lower. Didn't even think of what this would do to my 2nd row options. Oh well there can always be a version 2.

Looking forward to your findings and direction for seating - we are still deliberating on that choice.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #644 of 1632 Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
How's a little guy like me supposed to compete? Throw me a line and I can handle ANY length, baby!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #645 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 07:37 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 789
now, I really have screen envy, what cannon are you going to shoot at that thing?
post #646 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Everything is looking great CJ, you need no pointers from us....

But since you asked I would consider going with the 141" screen. I recently got check out Jamis' 150" sweetheart and she was pretty. In particular if you are in fact placing your first row at 13' I imagine that you'd be fine. If I could go any bigger in my room I would.
post #647 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jeff:

You've got a great space and I've certainly got nothing for you to be envious of.

I don't know about the projector. I'm not following the traditional track of plan everything then go do it. I'm more or less winging it as I go along. I have not started investigating projectors yet. I wanted to get the screen size decision made first, then we'll go from there. I'm a BIG FAN of W00lly's screen.

His is a 12' 2.35 SmX screen. It has a viewable area of 144" x 61" but over all its 151" x 68" screen height is the same as a 120" diagonal. The screen is 22" off the floor. ceiling is 8'4" and 7"4" to the bottom of the soffets. After wall treatments he's only got 6" on either side of the screen. Woolly's running a Mitsubishi HD1000 if memory serves. It puts out about 1700 ANSI lumens.

The 140" diagonal plan that I have has only 9" on either side of the viewable image on either side BEFORE treatments. That's not enough. We did the mock up and decided that the 130" diagonal 2.39 is what we've decided on. This is plenty large with about 15" on either side.

I really don't know what projector we'll use. I'll start investigating them in the near future. I'm going to buy the projector last. I've looked at Projector Central and there seem to be a wide range of projectors that will work for my space and screen size.

Next up is finalizing the riser. I need to determine how high it should be, as well as it's dimensions. We've got seating locations pretty much locked in within a few feet at this point, so it's just a matter of making sure everything lines up without issues.

CJ

post #648 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Hmmm, another man who hates to tape and mud.
post #649 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Everything is looking great CJ, you need no pointers from us....

But since you asked I would consider going with the 141" screen. I recently got check out Jamis' 150" sweetheart and she was pretty. In particular if you are in fact placing your first row at 13' I imagine that you'd be fine. If I could go any bigger in my room I would.

I really tried to get that dude in there. My problem is with the room width, I'll only have 9" between th wall and the screen's viewable area BEFORE treatments. Treatments willl suck up about 1.25", and the screen frame will take some room too. I don't think I can fit it in there.

CJ

post #650 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Hmmm, another man who hates to tape and mud.

Me or W00lly?

I absolutely hate the stuff. Hanging's not that bad, but the taping stinks. It's not hard, but it does require some skill to do correctly. The sad part is that by the time that you gain that skill, you hate it so much that you don't want to use that skill ever again. With prices what they are now, it make a lot of sense to hire that part out.

CJ

post #651 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
CJ

I think you should go as big as you can on the screen

I don't sit in the front row alot in my theater but I did this weekend and must say it was pretty awesome filling up my whole Field of vision.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #652 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

What's the plan? I know, I know there is no actual plan... but what is the thought I guess. Do you think you will have curtains at the sides of the screen (is this treatments)? Do you think you want to do masking for 16:9 content? Or are you going for a clean false wall look like Jamis, Bud, or Woolly with nothing but wall panels at the sides. If this is what your after then fine, get that bad boy in there.

Masking can be done a number of ways depending on your screen, then there is always the unpopular setting 16:9 content to scope option. Are you planning to get an SMX screen, I think they are still running that promotion of free manual masking panels if you buy from AVS.

Edit: yes they are still running the promo

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1142564
post #653 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the plan? I know, I know there is no actual plan... but what is the thought I guess. Do you think you will have curtains at the sides of the screen (is this treatments)? Do you think you want to do masking for 16:9 content? Or are you going for a clean false wall look like Jamis, Bud, or Woolly with nothing but wall panels at the sides. If this is what your after then fine, get that bad boy in there.

Masking can be done a number of ways depending on your screen, then there is always the unpopular setting 16:9 content to scope option. Are you planning to get an SMX screen, I think they are still running that promotion of free manual masking panels if you buy from AVS.

Edit: yes they are still running the promo

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1142564

Well, the plan is being developed as I go along. I like the idea of drawing curtains open at the beginning of a movie, but I don't want to give up screen size for them. I really like the clean front look of W00lly, Jamis, Bud. I'm going to ultimately get a lens to stretch the image and don't really think I'll worry too much about 16x9 content at this point. If I need to, I can build some sort of manual masking for that content if needed. I want to do an SMX screen, but we'll see. I may work in a DIY screen using the original SMX material for starters. We'll see.

At this point, I'm holding all major purchases for a while until things settle down a bit. The manual masking deal looks good, but I'm holding off right now.

After the riser, I'll need to determine what the interior of the theater will look like. I need to decide on whether I want to do some woodwork, colors, columns, wall wash lighting, etc. Will the decisions never stop?

CJ

post #654 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I think there are a lot off guys who suffered through taping and mudding are giving a standing ovation to this picture. He is planning a starfield ceiling so that will hide all that. but for now it is functional.

post #655 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, that's cool always something to try and figure out. It's part of the fun I suppose. Just so you know, if you want curtains to completely close off the screen, you will need about 1/3 the width of the curtains at either side for the stack of the curtains when they are opened. So if each curtain panel is about 6' you'll need something like 2 feet once it's opened. If your using the curtains to do masking instead then you don't need as much space, but just wanted you to realize the need for space if your wanting full curtains.
post #656 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, that's cool always something to try and figure out. It's part of the fun I suppose. Just so you know, if you want curtains to completely close off the screen, you will need about 1/3 the width of the curtains at either side for the stack of the curtains when they are opened. So if each curtain panel is about 6' you'll need something like 2 feet once it's opened. If your using the curtains to do masking instead then you don't need as much space, but just wanted you to realize the need for space if your wanting full curtains.

Oman, you are right. Thanks for the tip. I've been looking at the feasability of gathering the curtains behind the screen. I'm not sure that curtains are even something that I'll want in the future, but I've been toying with leaving space for the track and motor behind the screen.

CJ

post #657 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I think there are a lot off guys who suffered through taping and mudding are giving a standing ovation to this picture. He is planning a starfield ceiling so that will hide all that. but for now it is functional.

I get it now. I hadn't seen that before! Well done W00lly!

CJ

post #658 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I did not tape or mud anything in the theater I just caulked everything real well. I figured I was going to be covering it all up any way so why waste my time putting on a thin coat of mud as no one was ever going to see it

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #659 of 1632 Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great idea!

I used the walls in the theater for practice. I filled the seams on the first level with really rough coat of tape and mud. The second coat I did the first coat of mud and tape on the walls for practice. The ceiling and soffits got three (and sometimes four) coats to get them looking really smooth.

Once I got skillz doing the walls, then I did the ceiling and then it was on to the rest of the basement.

CJ

post #660 of 1632 Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10
WHEW - I am tired. I just caught up with your thread CJ. Looking great! I loved the adventure of Fat Max. Hilarious... You have definitely had a burst of progress and I appreciate you keeping slackers like me informed. That stage is awesome and be bathroom came out beautifully. I am still alive and doing well. I need to post my progress, but I don't want to make any promises. In short, I am now painting and picking out carpets. I've had a hell of a busy year and unfortunately the basement has suffered the most, but it's coming around.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page